Metal Storm logo
Mayhem - Banned From Playing Poland; Vocalist Issues Statement

Mayhem vocalist Attila Csihar has issued the following statement regarding the recent attempt by the "Polish government" to ban the band from playing their country:

"A fascist-religious government in Europe hides behind its democratic façade!

"Some time ago, Mayhem was set to play in Poland. And we were very excited to deliver a great show to our Polish fans! The Polish government didn't warn us of any requirements, rules or guidelines in advance. So, thinking that all the details were taken care of, we set out with all our equipment and our entire stage set. One day before the show however we were informed that the Polish government had banned us from playing the country! And without any official statement or explanation!

"When we looked into the situation, we saw that many Polish newspapers claimed that this action was merely based in politics as it was close to the next Polish elections. It seems that politics and religion are very strongly interlocked in the country. Could this be a new form of religious dictatorship and inquisition?

"Needless to say, this caused a huge existential and financial loss for the band and our promoters. Not to mention a huge theft to the hundreds of fans who had bought tickets in advance.

"How much longer do we have to suffer from these false, distorted, sick, politically religious regimes and dictatorships? How can a simple metal band be deemed a serious danger for the government and its citizens? It shows the weakness in Poland 'democracy.'

"I grew up in an ex-communist country just like Poland. And I remember how the official history had 'changed' from one day to the next. I remember the chaos and confusion this caused in the school system and realized this during my final high school exams in 1988.

"This world is totally fucked up and hypnotised! And we are all suffering from a lifetime of lies! I know that my Polish friends can understand and relate to what I am saying. I recently heard from the Hungarian metal band Sear Bliss that their show in Poland was raided by armed police-commandos in ski-masks only moments before show time!

"Someone must take a stand. Our only weapons are musical instruments yet they reply to us with machine guns! I am not afraid of priests and politics! How far will this go? Where has the freedom of speech, art and religion gone? Maybe it is in the ass of their pope? I would like to tell the Minister of Poland and his government to kiss all of our asses and fuck off!"

Mayhem's new album, "Ordo Ab Chao", is tentatively scheduled for release in 2007 via Season of Mist.

Csihar joined Mayhem in November 2004 as the replacement for departed singer Maniac (real name Sven Erik Kristiansen).

Mayhem's last studio album, "Chimera", entered the Norwegian album chart at position No. 28 upon its release in March 2004.

Source: roadrun.com
Band profile: Mayhem
Posted: 04.09.2006 by lordz

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 15   Visited by: 34 users
04.09.2006 - 19:56
Damnated
Churchburner
But this is old news.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.09.2006 - 20:15
lordz
IzZo
I guess you can call it a reminder
04.09.2006 - 21:15
Thryce
Retired Staff
Just call it like it is, old news (Blabbermouth kind of news, of course)

This statement is just another subjective side of the story, throwing some more oil on the fire... Poland is an extremely catholic country, everybody knows that, so it's not that bizarre the government feels intimidated by the already provocative music genre Mayhem makes. Of course it's sucks for the fans and the sponsors, but I would see it as a compliment for Mayhem. After all they simply owned religion and politics. People are scared of Mayhem and see it like something that has to be banned. How cool is that if you can say that as a Black Metal band. Not to mention the free promotion they'll get by this blown up incident...

Also, it's not the first time and not the first band for whom this has happenend, so I find Mayhem's reaction a bit exaggerated actually...
----
Your favorite band sucks.
04.09.2006 - 21:25
Damnated
Churchburner
I say that the plish reactin is also exaggerated. What can a band do? Convert the whole audiance into devil worshiping zombies? And by this they just brought Mayhem into the ploish market, I mean now every kid will whant a CD of theirs.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
04.09.2006 - 21:53
Daniell
_爱情_
I'm from Poland. Idiots rule here.
05.09.2006 - 00:02
TheSlaughter
Account deleted
Funny how Black Metal supports fascism until it targets them. Boo hoo.

How about musicians in countries where music that isnt "Pro-Party" is banned, and those found listening to it are shot... at least they can still sell albums and people can listen to their music.
05.09.2006 - 00:17
W-Lash
Metal Master
Nothing serious, it's just Mayhem. If it were something better... Don't scream at me if you like Mayhem - i just think so.
As far as i know, Poland is ruled by dumb and gay church and it is the reason in this case (i'm sure).
I looked in home page of Impaled Nazarene and i found funny text. It's about Poland too (their event was cancelled some time ago):
"This whole event has been cancelled by the
(surprise) catholic fucking church of Poland.
Fuck those weak minded hypocrite cunts,
BURN THE CHURCHES and KILL RELIGION!

This cancellation has nothing to do with us,
Impaled Nazarene. Tough luck, polish metalheads.
Go and thank Your fucking church!"

daniell_p, as long you will have that church, you will live like in middle ages.
05.09.2006 - 00:47
Mother_North

i am not into black metal, i am not a mayhem fan but this is bullshit! polish catholic church can ban all black metal bands from playing there but they can't control people's minds and believes, with this kind of atittudes they won't bring young people to church... on contrary!! religion is the cancer of the world!! hail to metal
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
05.09.2006 - 01:52
-MeTaLlIc-OwL-
Account deleted
Religion sucks donkey ass.
05.09.2006 - 21:23
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Any form of narrow-mindedness sucks donkey ass.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.09.2006 - 23:05
TheSlaughter
Account deleted
Narrow-Mindedness rules... its what makes black metal good.

I dont want black metal singing about tolerance and happiness to all...
06.09.2006 - 17:55
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Well, you can't understand the lyrics anyway..

I think you got my point..
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.09.2006 - 22:49
TheSlaughter
Account deleted
Put it this way... If Mayhem owned a country, I doubt they would let Christian Pop-Rock bands play in their country. So I dont know why they are complaining...

Isnt it rational to not let a band infamous for burning down churches in your country? As much as I love Black metal, some of the musicians have to stop being pussies and get the fact that impaling pigs heads on stage isnt exactly socially acceptable... hence why Black Metal shouldnt go live...

hail varg! hahaha
01.11.2006 - 08:08
Stuart39
Account deleted
Religeon is the terrorist, burn the terrorists. Remember the 1990's and the church burnings, maybe thats what is needed again.

If you can tear down their faith maybe you can plant the seed of fear in their heads. (YeAh! There already fearful, they won't let some bands play.)

Something must be done with these god fearing goverments.

Idea? Blast Black Metal evreywhere, in houses on streets, and anywhere possible. Lets get it in their heads, metal is here to stay forever!!

218!
03.12.2006 - 23:50
Ulven i Manden
Account deleted
I live in Poland and must say that many of polish people are "christian sheeps"... they voting for chatolic politicians and here we have - christian swamp!
But in Poland are many Metal Heads also and that is the most importent!
Religion has always loves (and needs) politics, this is worldwide tendency, not only here in Poland...
I say only one thing: "catholic church will be never general, that is for sure"! NEVER!

Hits total: 5387 | This month: 4