Metal Storm logo
Y&T - Bassist Loses Battle With Cancer

Y&T bassist Phil Kennemore passed away earlier this morning. Phil Kennemore was diagnosed with lung cancer last year in August. Back then his doctors believed the disease to be "treatable", and that he should be back on his feet soon enough.

Y&T vocalist/guitarist Dave Meniketti released the following statement: "It is with profound sadness and disbelief that I tell you that my best buddy for 37 years passed away this morning, January 7, 2011 at 1am at Stanford Hospital. Bravely and steadfastly battling the horrible spectacle of lung cancer, at the end he was surrounded by his family members, and the Y&T family up until his final breath.

R.I.P. Phil Kennemore

All the beautiful things that I could say about my buddy Phil could never be summed up in a short sentence or two, and I promise that I will be back to say so much more about how I feel about him and his talents in due time. But for now, at 3am, after just having returned home from his passing, let me at least put this out there.

Phil Kennemore was not only a sweet and passionate man with his life, friends and family, but as an artist, he also had that rare ability to say what was on his mind with the most eloquent, clever, and to-the-point lyrics, yet could turn it on it's head in a second with some other viewpoint on reality and nail the point dead center. He was able to do what very few can - say the things that others have been thinking, but could never quite seem to put into words. He has always had a keen knack for doing that.

As a musician, with those huge fingers, his bass playing was always loud, strong, and deep, filling the largest or smallest of stages equally.

He had an amazingly strong life force that has influenced everyone who ever had the opportunity to be called a friend of his. I am forever grateful for our lifelong friendship, that was always in place throughout the worst and best of times. I will miss his sense of humor, his amazing wit, but most of all I will always miss not seeing him to my left on the stages I will play from this moment forward.

Yes, he was one of the class guys on this planet, and in this business, and I will always do what I can to spread the legacy of Phil Kennemore across the globe on every stage that I land on.

You know how much I love you Phil, and you knew how much your fans and fellow musicians loved and respected you. There was nothing left unsaid. You had a rich and wonderful life and I can only tell you that I was happy to have been alongside you every step of the glorious way."

Source: meniketti.com
Posted: 07.01.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 211 users
07.01.2011 - 14:26
The Night Wisher

2011 !
I guess that year will be worst than 2010 for metal musicians.
RIP
07.01.2011 - 14:34
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
R.I.P. Phil Kennemore
----
Chef Metal Head
07.01.2011 - 15:06
Elodie Artour
Slania
Is ist just me or 2011 has started as bad as 2010 ended?

RIP, Phil!
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
07.01.2011 - 15:19
necrovamp

As much as I don't like the band, R.I.P dude, I hope you had fun!

Seriously is cancer gonna claim all of metal?
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
07.01.2011 - 15:23
Dominus
The Shooter
RIP
07.01.2011 - 15:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Damn. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer in september. Honestly, knowing about all these popular cases where the cancer wins doesn't exactly help my optimism about that. Lung cancer, at least the kind that smoking induces most of the time, is among the worst types. Aggressively growing and rapidly spreading, mostly through the lymph channels directly to the brain. As in my father's case.
There are two million ways I'd rather die.
----
07.01.2011 - 16:24
Red_Travis

Damn it, this is not that way I wanted the new year to start.....R.I.P. PHIL
07.01.2011 - 16:45
jadawal

Written by corrupt on 07.01.2011 at 15:59

Damn. My father was diagnosed with lung cancer in september. Honestly, knowing about all these popular cases where the cancer wins doesn't exactly help my optimism about that. Lung cancer, at least the kind that smoking induces most of the time, is among the worst types. Aggressively growing and rapidly spreading, mostly through the lymph channels directly to the brain. As in my father's case.
There are two million ways I'd rather die.

There are also two million ways I'd rather live, but we do not grasp the power of the haphazard independant factor, neither do we have a way to tell the future. Could you choose your death? Be thankful that past people were alive as long as they were, for it's only thanks to non-natural medicines that most are still with us as long. Realise there will never be optimism in sickness, but maybe in recycled new life. Take optimism in sharing last moments with the sick, because death happens; the governing biotic spark widdles away even in the most healthy and spirited of people.

There is always worse.

Rest in peace every "one" thats dead.
07.01.2011 - 19:01
Prisoner
Account deleted
RIP
I just hope 2011 won't be as bad as 2010!!!!
07.01.2011 - 23:12
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I hope you're right, Prisoner.

R.I.P. Phil Kennemore.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.01.2011 - 07:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
SHITTY. Fucking cancer.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.01.2011 - 15:32
Ander

I really hope Nergal wins his battle against leukemia, so that we can have at least one positive reference when it comes to Metal artists being hit by this fucking bullshit we call cancer. Fucking disease. I hate all these news, we lose so many good people to this fucking useless and unfair shit.

R.I.P. Phil Kennemore.
09.01.2011 - 10:52
Kwis

The world spends millions on researching seedless watermelons, yet somehow there still is no cure for Cancer. *tsk tsk* I pray that this isn't a sign that 2011 is just continuing where 2010 left off. Rest in Peace.
13.01.2011 - 20:31
jimmy

Always sad to hear of someone from the metal community dying, no matter the cause. my condolences to his friends and family. but worry not, he's up in heavy metal heaven with dio, shawn crahan, and all the metal brethren we've lost over the years. R.I.P.

Hits total: 3811 | This month: 11