09. Inno A Satana [alternative mix]

The Alckerhaugen Tapes 1993
10. The Majesty Of The Night Sky [4-track pre-production]
11. The Burning Shadows Of Silence [pre-production rehearsal]
12. I Am The Black Wizards [rehearsal]

Top 20 albums of 1994: 2
Top 200 albums of all time: 117

Additional info
Some versions of the album have a 0.50 intro track as track 1, followed by the normal 8 tracks.
Recorded in July 1993 at Grieghallen Studios.
Produced by Pytten and Emperor.
All tracks re-mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, 2014.
Front cover and 2014 logo by Necrolord.

Guest review by
Paganblood
Rating:
Emperor released their first full length album "In The Nightside Eclipse" in 1994. At the time, Emperor's line-up consisted of Ihsahn on lead guitars, vocals and keyboards, Samoth on guitars, Tchort on bass and Faust on drums. This album is indeed a masterpiece album in the Black Metal genre. It consists of ten tracks including the bonus tracks "A Fine Day To Die" (Bathory cover) and "Gypsy" (Merciful Fate cover). Alver (bass), Trym (drums) and Charmand Grimloch (keyboards) make appearances on the two cover songs.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2006 | Comments (19)

Guest review by
Smurfophagist
Rating:
Behold the greatest symphonic black metal release ever! "In The Nightside Eclipse" is one of the most important albums in the 90's Norwegian black metal scene. Consisting of 8 tracks plus two covers (Bathory - "A Fine Day To Die" and King Diamond's "Gypsy") this album has managed to show the listeners that black metal can be raw and extremely melodic at the same time.

Read more ››
published 11.05.2009 | Comments (10)

Found in 89 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 40   Visited by: 1739 users
10.01.2011 - 04:47
SlaytanicGonzo

This would be a perfect album if only the vocals were mixed louder
23.07.2011 - 02:50
Rating: 9
Zombie94

Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 10.01.2011 at 04:47

I don't know why but I actually like the shitty production. Adds to the atmosphere and classic black metal sound imo.
23.07.2011 - 10:07
SlaytanicGonzo

Written by Zombie94 on 23.07.2011 at 02:50

I don't know why but I actually like the shitty production. Adds to the atmosphere and classic black metal sound imo.

Usually, I would agree. Albums like Transilvanian Hunger and Burzum benefit A LOT from their shitty production. But on this type of Black Metal, I would prefer a BIT cleaner production. My opinion at least.
22.09.2011 - 21:10
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 23.07.2011 at 10:07

Written by Zombie94 on 23.07.2011 at 02:50

Usually, I would agree. Albums like Transilvanian Hunger and Burzum benefit A LOT from their shitty production. But on this type of Black Metal, I would prefer a BIT cleaner production. My opinion at least.

Come on, the production here is very good in black metal standards.
11.10.2011 - 11:41
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I agree about the vocals. You can't really hear them a lot of the time.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
27.11.2011 - 02:07
Oaken
Hipster
Masterpiece, and one of the finest black metal albums to exist.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
02.10.2012 - 03:45
LordHypnos
Account deleted
This is the album that got me into black metal! A true masterpiece!
30.10.2012 - 00:52
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Classic, one of the first black metal albums I ever heard and it never gets old.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
17.11.2012 - 18:20
Neroese
Account deleted
Epic of epicness.
21.01.2013 - 18:16
Erik M.

Simply amazing album. One of the best (symphonic) black metal albums ever.
02.02.2013 - 05:57
squidrick420

It has been a while since i gave this a good listen, however I am doing so right now (on my kick ass new cd player) and i forgot how good this album is!! Its like sweet and sour chicken, sour where you want it with some sweet symphonic sauce on top.
04.01.2014 - 23:45
Himedal

I'm all fucked up.
----
What goes by is life to be taken
The doom calls upon the forsaken
10.08.2014 - 19:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I was reading interviews with Deafheaven today at work and George cites a huge vocal influence from this album, and I can definitely hear it.

I love this release, it's atmosphere is just room filling and te mix is just perfect, low drums, low vocals, and high synth.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.08.2014 - 19:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.08.2014 at 19:12

I was reading interviews with Deafheaven today at work and George cites a huge vocal influence from this album, and I can definitely hear it.

I love this release, it's atmosphere is just room filling and te mix is just perfect, low drums, low vocals, and high synth.

Just such a shame Deafheaven is so incredibly mundane average compared to Emperor.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.08.2014 - 19:26
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.08.2014 at 19:18

Just such a shame Deafheaven is so incredibly mundane average compared to Emperor.

Like always, agree to disagree. I think both are great.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.09.2014 - 19:39
Rating: 10
musicalkaratekid

Strangely enough I've only ever listened to odd Emperor songs and not actual albums all the way through, but now that I have, I can see how consistent and fluent the band's debut really is, without trying to sound too much of an overjoyed black metal fan. There's plenty of classics here: "Into the Infinity of Thoughts", "Inno A Satana", "Beyond the great vast forest" among others, and although I have yet to listen to the rest of Emperor's discography, this one is undoubtedly career-defining.
21.09.2014 - 08:57
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I'm pretty much fed up with listening to symphonic black metal nowadays, but I still enjoy this album a lot. Its majesty does not wither with time.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
29.08.2015 - 13:44
Zap
Listening to this for the first time in... Well, a while. Still one of my favorite black metal albums, and I don't think any other Emperor album comes close. My second favorite is probably Prometheus, but that's a completely separate thing.
13.06.2016 - 19:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
A young men whit strong message and idea , they put all in chaotic music what never have head before and find super uber song title names and wrote awesome lyrics what nobody have heard before, make poetical side of bm , all can sing about st. ann, but where us art? nowhere, this is why this is essential album, its 100% generic but 100% totally different
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.09.2016 - 21:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not sure why but this seems to be my most revisited classic black metal album these days. Definitely didn't used to consider it in the same regard as Transylvanian Hunger, DMDS, Blood Fire Death etc. but this continues to feel fresher in my head. I think there's something quite wall of soundish about it; the instruments blend together into a really nice conglomerate mass which I find consistently satisfying. Shame Emperor abandoned this sound after this.
11.09.2016 - 12:19
Zap
Written by Guest on 10.09.2016 at 21:39

Not sure why but this seems to be my most revisited classic black metal album these days.

Because it's amazing?
11.09.2016 - 12:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Zap on 11.09.2016 at 12:19

Because it's amazing?

That could definitely be one of the contributing factors.
20.10.2017 - 21:05
BetulaObscura

It was recorded in Grieg Hall in Bergen with strong echo/reverb. That is why vocals sound "distant" and not that loud (comparing with other instruments).
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
02.01.2019 - 23:51
Rating: 4
Maasai Mara

Only deserves a 4 because it formed a template for Dimmu Borgir to release Abrahadabra and Eonian. Otherwise this belongs alongside Master of Puppets as the most overrated albums. Emperor is the weakest band from the 2nd wave of Norwegian Black Metal, even weaker than Gorgoroth whom most accuse of being 2nd rate and predictable.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
13.12.2019 - 12:18
Rating: 8
DeathMetal

I fully agree here. Other than the vocals it's a great album.
25.03.2020 - 09:09
BetulaObscura

Written by Maasai Mara on 02.01.2019 at 23:51

Only deserves a 4 because it formed a template for Dimmu Borgir to release Abrahadabra and Eonian. Otherwise this belongs alongside Master of Puppets as the most overrated albums. Emperor is the weakest band from the 2nd wave of Norwegian Black Metal, even weaker than Gorgoroth whom most accuse of being 2nd rate and predictable.

If you want to criticise this album (or any other) you should clearly point why you don't like it; what was your reason for it; what could be musically/lyrically approved on the album; what could be done/recorded another way etc. Writing that "this [album] is weak" is just adolescence trolling!
----
"Inspired by the future of the past"
08.04.2020 - 22:12
Rating: 4
Maasai Mara

Written by BetulaObscura on 25.03.2020 at 09:09

If you want to criticise this album (or any other) you should clearly point why you don't like it; what was your reason for it; what could be musically/lyrically approved on the album; what could be done/recorded another way etc. Writing that "this [album] is weak" is just adolescence trolling!

After wasting my damn precious time listening to and reviewing Emperor's Sophomore album i simply lack the energy to type anything about this piece of junk.. Emperor sucks and that's it.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
08.04.2020 - 22:24
The Witchfinder
Account deleted
Decent album. Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk stomps all over it.
08.04.2020 - 23:01
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Maasai Mara on 08.04.2020 at 22:12

Written by BetulaObscura on 25.03.2020 at 09:09

Emperor sucks and that's it.

You're violating rules of posting,

12.06.2020 - 13:09
Rating: 10
TSRodriguez

Immense, and grand. Epic and incommensurable. Pick the one with the bonus tracks, they rock. The cover from King Diamond, Gipsy, is probably the 3 most awesomely charged minutes I've heard in a long time. The best songs are well known, Into the Infinity of Thoughts, Inno a Satana, and I'm the Black Wizards.

Hits total: 34053 | This month: 129