Metal Storm logo
Mike Portnoy - Schedules Live Shows With Beatles Cover Band

Time for your weekly update on Mike Portnoy! In only a matter of months the legendary musician went from ex-Dream Theater drummer to ex-Avenged Sevenfold drummer to drummer in a, err, Beatles cover band, called Yellow Matter Custard. Srsly!

After having had such a fun experience the first time around in 2003, Mike Portnoy, Paul Gilbert (Paul Gilbert, Racer X) and Neal Morse (Transatlantic, Spock's Beard) are reuniting once again to pay tribute to their greatest influence of all: The Beatles!

Due to a scheduling conflict (and further fueling the "Paul is dead" rumours), original YMC bassist Matt Bissonette is unable to join the band this time, but Yellow Matter Custard is pleased to announce the addition of Utopia legend Kasim Sulton who will surely be an amazing addition to the line-up.

The setlist for these shows will be ALL NEW without any repeats from the 2003 shows.

Yellow Matter Custard - Three Nights Across America 2011:

Fri Feb 25th - Long Beach, CA - Art Theater of Long Beach
Sun Feb 27th - Chicago, IL - (tba)
Mon Feb 28th - New York City, NY - BB King's

In other news, Mike Portnoy is still busy recording a new album for his as-yet-unnamed project featuring Steve Morse (Deep Purple, ex-Kansas), Neal Morse (Transatlantic, Spock's Beard), Dave LaRue (Dixie Dregs) and Casey McPherson (Alpha Rev, Endochine). An overview of studio reports can be found at this location.

Source: mikeportnoy.com
Band profile: Dream Theater
Event: Yellow Matter Custard: Three Nights Across America 2011
Posted: 11.01.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 255 users
11.01.2011 - 11:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Irritable Ted on 11.01.2011 at 11:37

The pictures on the flyer look like some bizarre Beachboys reunion.

I literally lol'ed reading that post! hehee

Its funny, Ive been listening to quite a lot of The Beatles' lately, and metal band's covers of their tunes...
11.01.2011 - 14:04
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Here really soon he will be playing a Las Vegas Lounge the rate hes going....
----
Chef Metal Head
11.01.2011 - 14:21
JD
Account deleted
Please!! no more Mike Portnoy news Please!!
11.01.2011 - 14:45
Byners
Mike... Completely lost without Dream Theater :/
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
11.01.2011 - 15:13
BudDa
Elite
Haha. Well, atleast hes still trying to remain relevant..even though its only with Yellow....what?!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
11.01.2011 - 15:42
ImperialTroll
Account deleted
Can't believe he went from DT to this should've kept some dignity and just quit or something now he's making a fool out of himself
11.01.2011 - 15:56
YoreLore
No point talking about the Beatles on this site. I'm sure hundreds on here would be scared to listen to something that isn't metal. All the musicians in this tribute band are excellent
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."
11.01.2011 - 16:09
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Written by YoreLore on 11.01.2011 at 15:56

No point talking about the Beatles on this site. I'm sure hundreds on here would be scared to listen to something that isn't metal. All the musicians in this tribute band are excellent

I love the Beatles. If it wasn't for the Beatles and Black Sabbath, we wouldn't have all these great musicians.....
----
Chef Metal Head
11.01.2011 - 16:10
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 11.01.2011 at 14:04

Here really soon he will be playing a Las Vegas Lounge the rate hes going.... He does have Paul Gibert with him!!

What does having Paul Gilbert with him have to do with anything? Does he play at Las Vegas Lounges?

@Junglemanchild: Not me! The Beatles are awesome. xD
11.01.2011 - 16:14
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 16:10

What does having Paul Gilbert with him have to do with anything? Does he play at Las Vegas Lounges?
Paul Gilbert is great and just joking about the Lounges.
----
Chef Metal Head
11.01.2011 - 16:15
Mad Mike
Mike Portnoy is quickly becoming the Brett Favre of the metal world...
----
Did you ever notice that the people who tell you to get a life are normally people who should be dead in the first place?
11.01.2011 - 16:17
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 16:10

Paul Gilbert is great and just joking about the Las Vegas Lounges...
----
Chef Metal Head
11.01.2011 - 17:05
JD
Account deleted
Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 11.01.2011 at 16:09

I love the Beatles. If it wasn't for the Beatles and Black Sabbath, we wouldn't have all these great musicians.....

OK, then why he joined Avanged suckin fold? and i don't wanna hear if he joind Beatles or Cannibal Corpse he just fucked up when he joind A7.
11.01.2011 - 17:16
Sanzo
Whatever happened to the Mike Portnoy/Steven Wilson/Mikael Akerfeldt project?
11.01.2011 - 17:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Sanzo on 11.01.2011 at 17:16

As stated in the previous Portnoy news, Wilson and Akerfeldt work on it... without him.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.01.2011 - 17:49
Dominus
The Shooter
Lol
11.01.2011 - 18:02
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
Wow... yep... his career is in the tank... jesus christ a fuckin beatles tribute band... that's just... I don't even know... there are no words for that... at least he kinda looks like Ringo Starr I guess... What a fuckin joke...
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
11.01.2011 - 18:13
Jiri
Written by Mad Mike on 11.01.2011 at 16:15

Mike Portnoy is quickly becoming the Brett Favre of the metal world...

Hahahaha, spot on, bro!
11.01.2011 - 19:15
CHEF METALHEAD
KEEP IT METAL
Written by Guest on 11.01.2011 at 17:05

Written by CHEF METALHEAD on 11.01.2011 at 16:09

OK, then why he joined Avanged suckin fold? and i don't wanna hear if he joind Beatles or Cannibal Corpse he just fucked up when he joind A7.
Okay....
----
Chef Metal Head
11.01.2011 - 20:11
The Voyager
The Table
This is getting really old. I like Portnoy a lot, especially for his drumming in DT. But it seems to me that he really has no idea what to do with himself outside of Dream Theater, and is just going to continue doing all of these pointless projects in an effort to garner attention. To be honest, I couldn't care less about this band, or the other band that he formed with the two Morse brothers a week ago. It's just stupid.
11.01.2011 - 21:37
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
As stated, they've done this before, and it's nothing new for Mike. He's a big music fan and he's been involved with tribute stuff before. I don't see where the "shame" is in paying tribute to artists that inspire you. :/
11.01.2011 - 22:05
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.01.2011 at 21:37

As stated, they've done this before, and it's nothing new for Mike. He's a big music fan and he's been involved with tribute stuff before. I don't see where the "shame" is in paying tribute to artists that inspire you. :/

Exactly. I dont remember people getting out the knives for him when he played in this exact same tribute band while he was actually still in Dream Theater. Why are all of a sudden people moaning about it now, just beacuse he isnt in DT anymore?
11.01.2011 - 22:18
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I don't like the Beatles. I perfer the Rolling Stones.
But it seems alot of people on this site are VERY close-minded.
For shame.
11.01.2011 - 22:33
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
So Mike is a very talented drummer... but that's not important here. the big question is "Can Mike flip his hair for the camera like Ringo?"
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.01.2011 - 22:35
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 11.01.2011 at 22:05

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.01.2011 at 21:37

Exactly. I dont remember people getting out the knives for him when he played in this exact same tribute band while he was actually still in Dream Theater. Why are all of a sudden people moaning about it now, just beacuse he isnt in DT anymore?

I guess it's exactly that
Plus, of course, that Portnoy does actually need to prove he's still alive and relevant, of course... Hey, he was ditched from DT, A7X, the Portnot-Akerfeldt-Wilson project, and he has, as of now, no real band to speak of.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.01.2011 - 22:49
Holy Man
STEEL DEFENDER
The problem with Portnoy at this point isn't that he's in a cover band, or in another dead end side project with whoever else... the point is that he's in the fuckin news 3 or 4 times a god damn week since his departure from A7X... which was probably the single smartest thing THEY have ever done. It's ridiculous, he's releasing a statement about this incident, and he's saying he's startin' up some shit with these guys and blah blah blah... shut the fuck up Portnoy, you're rich, bow out with some dignity, while you're still reasonably respected, at least as a drummer if not a person. Dream Theater don't want you anymore, play drums in your basement... we can't all do it forever man, and right now, he's just marring his reputation with all these "statements" and promises and "just you wait and see" comments... bullshit. His career's over, he just can't admit it.
----
LIGHT THE FUSE ON THAT VAGINAMITE!!!
12.01.2011 - 02:51
Asunder
Written by Darkside Momo on 11.01.2011 at 17:21

Written by Sanzo on 11.01.2011 at 17:16

As stated in the previous Portnoy news, Wilson and Akerfeldt work on it... without him.

making it just another opeth album..

portnoy is a musical slute
12.01.2011 - 03:12
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I thought the picture was a joke, but now I'm too afraid to admit that this is the actual poster.
----
12.01.2011 - 06:26
INÆRIS
It's not like this is some new thing though. He played with these guys in 2003. I don't see anything wrong with it. If I had a chance to do a couple shows with Paul Gilbert, I'd take it.
----
Still Life, Still Death
12.01.2011 - 08:42
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
A bit of a waste of talent if you ask me xD
----
THRASH!!!

Hits total: 6150 | This month: 15