Metal Storm logo
Shadow of the Colussus

05.09.2006 - 08:36
helofloki
Account deleted
Possibly the best video game I've ever played. Incredibly natural controls, the fights are simultaneously action packed and puzzles, making it incredibly intense. The graphics are utterly gorgeous. The attention to detail is ridiculous, for example how realistic it is to ride Agro, or even more impressive, the physics of the Colossi. The designs are quite original, and the monsters are just epic. The game is absolutely perfect.
05.09.2006 - 16:34
Monolith
Account deleted
Yes, you gotta point there, but there was one flaw, maybe two. The first one has to be the camera angles. Some were ok, some were bad, then some were "what the fuck, where am I?" The second one is that they should've made those two small ones at the end a little bigger, I got majorly pissed off to find I had to fight a small bull. Other than that, great game.
05.09.2006 - 19:54
helofloki
Account deleted
well, I read some stuff about the game and found out why they were so small. It is in fact because the game programmers spent a crapload of time on an extremely detailed and realistic physics system for the game. Which required faster Colossi to be smaller and larger Colossi to be slower. But these physics were important for the rest of the features in the game, like being able to walk on the colossi as well as the realistic losing your ballance on them and such. The attention to detail just blows my mind.

Also as far as the camera angles go, they do get pretty wacky at points, but I think any other camera style would have made the game less intense. I mean unless you have a better idea you think would have worked.
05.09.2006 - 20:48
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@helofloki:

Dude, you totally owned me here for I was thinking in opening a thread about this very game by myself. Great initiative you have had. :[

@Monolith:

The camera seems to be a little troublesome at times yes, especially when you are climbing the colossi and it starts moving a lot. Although it can piss a lot we have to be understandable that there is a lot of movement, a lot of action going on and the camera may get confused.

Regarding the little ones, I wouldn't see them as flaws. I have to say that I enjoyed pretty much fighting the "bull colossi" and I think it wouldn't be possible to make the same fight with that colossus if he were very big as some of the other colossus were.

I have to say that I deeply love this game. This game is meant to be prequel of the game Ico, which was not only a great game that had a stunning gameplay but a game which had an impact in other big videogames franchise such as Metal Gear Solid 3, a game which used the same light effect as the one Ico introduced; and that is a lot to say. Unfortunately I was not able to play Ico for my ungrim Playstation 2 did not accept blue disks such as the one used in Ico; I was forced to return it.

Shadow of the Colossus allows you to take control over Wander, a young man who comes to the forbidden lands accompanied by his horse Agro, with the hope of reviving his love: Mono, after hearing that there, in the temple found in these forbidden lands, he could be granted any wish.

Now in the temple, he is told, by Dormin (a voice both female and male which talks to Wander inside the temple) that he will have to defeat 16 colossus in order to have his wish granted, though the pay may be very high at the end.

After that you are left in a HUGE terrain to explore and where all the colossi are found. As I mentioned the land is very vast, you can hardly get to explore everything, so your tool in finding the colossus is the sword which Wander carries (a sword stolen by him and which is not like any other sword). You raise the sword the sunlight will point where the colossus is found, though it points straight to its location and the path to where the colossus is may not be as "straight" or easy to find as the ray of light indicates. I got very lost several times trying to find those fukken colossi. :@

The "colossi" are creatures, sometimes big and other times not so big, which are armored and resist most of the damage. The only way of defeating them is by finding their "weak spot", their "vitals" which are revealed by the sword itself. Your aim is to pierce your sword in the colossus' vitals so that it will be defeated.

This may sound simple but it isn't. Just imagine facing a colossus which is 25 times bigger than you and whose vital is found in its head. Moreover, keep in mind that he is not willing to be climbed and that the way up may have a "trick" in order to allow your way up. That is what I like most of this game: each colossus is unique and they way to reveal its vitals is not the same and often hard to discover. I spent several minutes trying to figure out how to defeat some of them. The game may be rated "Teen" but this game is not for every little kid in this World, it requires thinking and logic in order to be played.

From among my favorites I will have to mention the "sand worm" as my favorite for I suffered several defeats just by trying how the hell I would make that goddamn worm to stop and kill it. lol

I have passed the game in "Hard Mode", I have broken all the records in the "Time Attack Mode" and I pretty much have discovered everything. There is still one thing I have not been able to do and it is turning Agro white as the cheats assure. I do what is required: beating all the "Time Attack Mode" colossus but I am not given the option yet. So, if you may know what the problem here is, I would be more than grateful if you can help.

Anyway, I know that no one read this epic post so fuck it. Great game!
----
Christless
05.09.2006 - 20:58
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
@helofloki:

I don't know about that being the main reason of why we have small colossi. To me they all seemed to be pretty well planned and not a "last resort" idea.

You are completely right about that level of detail you are mentioning, it is incredible. The game engine is pretty well made. Just an example: after defeating the game you will be given a cape which can help you to go your way slow down from high jumps such as jumping off mountains and falling off colossi. I jumped down to where the second colossus is found (the one in the beach) and I opened that cape immediately. There were some branches from the place I jumped off and because of this I lost my cape because it got stuck in those branches and Wander went all the way down to his (and my) death since I couldn't open the cape again. That is a real focus to details in a game.
----
Christless
05.09.2006 - 23:34
Soliloquy
i really wanna get my hands on the game. but the stupid thing is so freagen expenisve! and its expensive for no real reason either. i mean, its not like the game is any new or anything.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
06.09.2006 - 04:16
helofloki
Account deleted
Written by Soliloquy on 05.09.2006 at 23:34

i really wanna get my hands on the game. but the stupid thing is so freagen expenisve! and its expensive for no real reason either. i mean, its not like the game is any new or anything.

I'm pretty sure the price has gone down a lot very recently. In northeastern america at least.
06.09.2006 - 05:14
Soliloquy
Written by Guest on 06.09.2006 at 04:16

Written by Soliloquy on 05.09.2006 at 23:34

I'm pretty sure the price has gone down a lot very recently. In northeastern america at least.

thats prolly the case. i havent been to a game store in over like...idk been a while. too busy playing classic rpgs like FFX, FF7, Shadow HEarts 1 and 2, ICO, Kingdom hearts 1 and stuff.....
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
07.09.2006 - 00:26
Monolith
Account deleted
Written by Darth Satanious on 05.09.2006 at 20:48

@Monolith:

The camera seems to be a little troublesome at times yes, especially when you are climbing the colossi and it starts moving a lot. Although it can piss a lot we have to be understandable that there is a lot of movement, a lot of action going on and the camera may get confused.

Regarding the little ones, I wouldn't see them as flaws. I have to say that I enjoyed pretty much fighting the "bull colossi" and I think it wouldn't be possible to make the same fight with that colossus if he were very big as some of the other colossus were.

Well, I didn't really call it a "flaw". As I said earlier, I had one, maybe two. I had to think about that one for a bit
07.09.2006 - 17:13
Graveheart
Oh yes, this must be one of the best games in existence. At first I thought there was not much of a story this time, but when it all finally clicked together it turned out to be really fascinating... and moving, towards the end. But I want to keep this thread spoiler-free for those who do not know.

This is probably the only game that has made me feel sorry for the creatures I have to kill. The colossi haven't done any harm to you, but you still come to disturb their peace and take them down one by one, for quite selfish reasons. Never before have I noticed this in other games, it really adds something to the story when you think about it this way.

The hardest enemy in the game for sure is the camera guy, I am so convinced he wanted to kill me whenever he had the chance. I got used to this in time, but it was really annoying in the worst moments. The controls seemed a bit tacky when I started but I didn't have a hard time with them after the first colossus. My favorite might possibly be the 8th one, that's a fantastic gameplay to fight him.
07.09.2006 - 17:45
Basso
Account deleted
This is indeed on hell of a game! real awesome where almost all of the colossi battles where very memorable! I like the sand thinge and the first flyer the most since I reallly got an epic feeling while fitghting them. totaly awesome!
23.09.2006 - 23:05
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Guest on 07.09.2006 at 00:26

Written by Darth Satanious on 05.09.2006 at 20:48

@Monolith:

Well, I didn't really call it a "flaw". As I said earlier, I had one, maybe two. I had to think about that one for a bit

"Yes, you gotta point there, but there was one flaw, maybe two."

Well, you are saying in here that they are indeed flaws so go figure.

Written by Graveheart on 07.09.2006 at 17:13

This is probably the only game that has made me feel sorry for the creatures I have to kill. The colossi haven't done any harm to you, but you still come to disturb their peace and take them down one by one, for quite selfish reasons. Never before have I noticed this in other games, it really adds something to the story when you think about it this way.

And to add to that remorse after killing the colossi they put this very sad song, so cruel. I will have to disagree regarding your view of seeing selfishness behind the reasons of defeating the colossi, Wander wants to return life to his love, Mono, and that is not something so selfish. Even if it is HIS love, the girl he wants, what he asks for to be returned, and this can be seen as an effort of satisfying a need of his, there are things that he could have asked for, things really selfish such as power, etc. but he asked for something kind. Not to forget that he is told by Dormin that the cost of the wish at the end will be very high and, in spite of knowing of this threat, he continued with the resolution of returning life to her.

I don't know about you but I thought that the prize at the end for Wander would be giving his life in exchange or something and it is more than likely that Wander must have thought of the possibility (in an hypothetic case in which we give Wander the ability to think for himself) and he may have known that after saving her he could be leaving his life without enjoying her company again which takes that supposed selfishness even more far away from the reasons behind his actions.

Curious, I thought that this game was pretty unknown and that it was very likely that no one here in Metal Storm would be into it. I have been proven wrong for there is a considerable amount of people here that have played and enjoyed it.
----
Christless
10.10.2006 - 21:54
DIE_by_my_HAND
This game is pretty intense and one of the best game experiences I've had. Exploring the map could be a game in itself. This is an origional idea and the bosses are incredible. I do agree with some of you about the small bull, becuase it was annoying and if you mess up once you are fucked. like when it woke up after falling off the cliff, it attacks you when you get back up, so you can't do shit to get out of it, except I managed to. I just didn't like that one at all. I did like the lion one though because of it's puxxle aspect.
I also liked how there was a hard mode and a time attack mode. It added a lot of replay value to the game, along with all the extra items. I would've however liked if before each bosss there was smoe kind of puzzle that you had to solve just to add more depth to it, because if you go right through it, it is a short game. but besides that its amazing.
----
And music: well it's just entertainment folks!!
-Devin Townsend
12.10.2006 - 15:55
Basso
Account deleted
@ DIE : this game is indeed short. I played it 3 hours the day I bought it and 10 hours the day after. And then it was over. I got so sad A wonderful game, just incredible. I must replay this sometime soon on hard.
15.10.2006 - 05:18
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Has anyone climbed all the way up to the temple's hidden garden? Man, I have finished this game like four times in Normal and Hard mode and I still get lost in this fukken map. :S
----
Christless
25.04.2008 - 02:00
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Ico anyone?
----
Christless
27.04.2008 - 21:38
Graveheart
Written by Darth Satanious on 25.04.2008 at 02:00

Ico anyone?

Aye. It's another game that I really really like.
28.04.2008 - 17:20
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Graveheart on 27.04.2008 at 21:38

Ico anyone?

I had to play this game after I played Shadow. The game is great but there is no replay value, at least in the sucky US edition.
----
Christless
28.04.2008 - 20:57
Graveheart
Written by Darth Satanious on 28.04.2008 at 17:20

Ico anyone?

I had to play this game after I played Shadow. The game is great but there is no replay value, at least in the sucky US edition.

Same here, I also played the two games in that order, though I found Ico somewhat enjoyable the second time through as well. Do you know what's different in the US edition and the other ones?
29.04.2008 - 15:23
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Graveheart on 28.04.2008 at 20:57

Written by Darth Satanious on 28.04.2008 at 17:20

Ico anyone?

Same here, I also played the two games in that order, though I found Ico somewhat enjoyable the second time through as well. Do you know what's different in the US edition and the other ones?

I have played it just once, waiting for time to possibly make me forget how to solve the puzzles and then play it again. If I remember correctly, the Japanese and/or PAL versions have the option of replaying the game with the weapons you already found, there is a weapon similar to a lightsaber that can be found after the first time you finished the game, there is an optional multiplayer feature through which a friend can play with you: one controlling Ico and the other one the young girl princess. I can't remember anything more right now. Sucky US edition!
----
Christless
29.04.2008 - 22:43
Graveheart
Written by Darth Satanious on 29.04.2008 at 15:23
I have played it just once, waiting for time to possibly make me forget how to solve the puzzles and then play it again. If I remember correctly, the Japanese and/or PAL versions have the option of replaying the game with the weapons you already found, there is a weapon similar to a lightsaber that can be found after the first time you finished the game, there is an optional multiplayer feature through which a friend can play with you: one controlling Ico and the other one the young girl princess. I can't remember anything more right now. Sucky US edition!

That sounds really awesome. If it's true then all that's got to be included in the Japanese edition, because my PAL one doesn't have those things either. I played it again to see how much time it would take if I didn't get stuck or die, but now I'm also waiting to forget enough about it before I try the game for the next time.
01.05.2008 - 18:49
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Graveheart on 29.04.2008 at 22:43

Written by Darth Satanious on 29.04.2008 at 15:23

That sounds really awesome. If it's true then all that's got to be included in the Japanese edition, because my PAL one doesn't have those things either. I played it again to see how much time it would take if I didn't get stuck or die, but now I'm also waiting to forget enough about it before I try the game for the next time.

As far as I know, the U.S. version is the only one that lacks this features. That is the only thing that can make me replay the game since the game relies mainly in the solving of puzzles. It is not like Shadow which has a lot of action and puzzle solving and bonus features after you finish the game like the "time attack" challenge and such.
----
Christless
02.05.2008 - 17:43
Graveheart
Written by Darth Satanious on 01.05.2008 at 18:49
As far as I know, the U.S. version is the only one that lacks this features.

Well then there's something you didn't know, because I've got a PAL copy and by the looks of it I think it's exactly the same as the US edition, at least as far as the lack of special features unlocked after finishing the game.

And by the way, is there any news of possibly the third volume in the series on the PS3?
03.05.2008 - 21:04
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
There seems to be no news about a thing like that happening, at least not for now or I just haven't found anything. I would like a thing like that happening for the PS3, that would make the console's game rooster more promising. The reception for Shadow was solid so maybe a sequel could happen, even when I don't think that the game would be a direct follow-up to Shadow but instead a related sequel or prequel; something more or less, a reationship similar to that between Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. But seeing another giant-slaying videogame, I don't think so.
----
Christless
03.05.2008 - 23:51
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Darth Satanious on 03.05.2008 at 21:04

There seems to be no news about a thing like that happening, at least not for now or I just haven't found anything. I would like a thing like that happening for the PS3, that would make the console's game rooster more promising. The reception for Shadow was solid so maybe a sequel could happen, even when I don't think that the game would be a direct follow-up to Shadow but instead a related sequel or prequel; something more or less, a reationship similar to that between Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. But seeing another giant-slaying videogame, I don't think so.

but this one was enough for me.I don't need any more giants high as mountains and if you have PS3 don't waste your time talking about SOC!!! just go and buy a GTA IV and enjoy your life
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
07.05.2008 - 21:13
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Varegan on 03.05.2008 at 23:51

Written by Darth Satanious on 03.05.2008 at 21:04

but this one was enough for me.I don't need any more giants high as mountains and if you have PS3 don't waste your time talking about SOC!!! just go and buy a GTA IV and enjoy your life

But I wasn't saying anything about wanting another Shadow of the Colossus but another installment to the series. I don't have a PS3 yet, but I will buy it sooner or later, unless the console is discontinued (I hope not). hmm, I am told that GTA4 is the kriegness but I am not in the mood of leaning completely over that game after it has been prostituted to other consoles. Once MGS4 and FF Versus XIII hit shelves, then I may enjoy life.
----
Christless
10.09.2009 - 11:36
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Yeah I heard that too, That a new one is coming out, Hell yeah. I never finished the first one, and I don't have it anymore, The last Colossi I fought was the Sand Snake one can someone tell me what happens after, Please