Metal Storm logo
Subvertio Deus

12.01.2011 - 22:12
Narterath

Okay, it's been a long time since I've done this. I rarely open new threads anymore, since I don't see the point, but this time I've decided to try.

This thread is for a black metal band from the UK, called Subvertio Deus. They've released one self-titled demo in 2008 and one full-length, called Psalms Of Perdition, in 2008 as well. I was really surprised not to see anyone mention them the past two years. If I could describe their music, I would first of all compare them to Deathspell Omega. Subvertio Deus seem to have had Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice on constant rotation from the day it was released (and I don't see why not to be honest). This doesn't make them an average DsO copycat though. They manage to preserve a style of their own, while composing some great black metal tracks, that incorporate funeral doom and ambient elements (mostly atmosphere and feeling). I was immediately hooked to this band as soon as I visited their Myspace page and I ordered Psalms Of Perdition. Needless to say, I was not disappointed. But this was two years ago, and seeing that in two years there was no mention of this album, I think I need to take the first step.

Subvertio Deus' myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/subvertiodeus
Official site:
http://subvertiodeus.webs.com/
13.01.2011 - 17:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah great little band with a nice, thick sound, even if, as you say, it is reminiscent of DsO (lets be honest, it's basically a rip-off albeit a very good one). I have to admit I totally forgot about them and had to refamiliarise myself with them after I saw your thread and I actually completely forgot they were from the UK too.

Deathspell purists will probably cry over this band complaining their sound is too close to them.
13.01.2011 - 20:48
Narterath

Yay! A reply! Well, apparently, as you can see in their official site, the band has decided to work on new stuff and has stated that they are ready to perform live. Taken from their official site:
"After many changes in ideology, sound and inspiration, Subvertio Deus is now prepared to perform live, distancing itself from the miscategorised 'Orthodox' trend within Black Metal and changing to new directions."
I'm curious as to where this will lead. We probably won't hear anything from them for 1-2 years and then they'll release a new album or something. Maybe they'll fuse their DsO influences with other types of music as well, who knows.
14.01.2011 - 13:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That's quite an unusual choice, maybe they got some stick about sounding too much like DsO. But yeah, I don't see why they should abandon the entire sound, I'm sure it could be merged with other styles and sounds else to make something a bit more uniue. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
16.01.2011 - 14:47
RavenKing

If it's like Deathspell Omega, no need for me to check it, then. I don't understand the buzz around Deathspell Omega, anyway, as their music fails to give me any kind of emotion.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody