Metal Storm logo
What is the best song of Blind Guardian for you?

Poll

Other
Mirror Mirror
And Then There Was Silence
The Bard's Song - In The Forest
Valhalla
Battlefield
Majesty
Another Holy War
Traveller In Time

Total votes: 214
14.01.2011 - 02:33
Vikcen
Metálico

EDIT:

Well, MetalStorm have said me that i have to provide more information in the opening post, so i will do it below:

Well, i have tried to make a list with a mix of objectivity and my personal tastes about Blind Guardian, so you can find songs that are my favorites from a particular album, and others that not. Besides this, also i have tried to include a song of each album, but finally i had to leave out "A Twist In The Myth" and "At The Edge Of Time" because i really have not felt that there is a highlighted song or near to the classic (for the moment =) ):

Majesty: Well, it is a great classic that i thought it was correct to put it.
Valhalla: The same that Majesty.
Traveller In Time: Well here, i had to put the best song from this album in my opinion, together with "Welcome To Dying" and "Lost In The Twilight Hall". What is the classic here? Maybe "Lord Of The Rings"? perhaps "Welcome To Dying"?
The Bard's Song - In The Forest: I prefer other songs from this album than this one, but in this case i had to put the great classic.
Another Holy War: Hard to pick one in this album, so i chose my favorite song.
Mirror Mirror: My favorite song from this album and also the great classic =).
Battlefield: My favorite song from Blind Guardian, together with "Mirror Mirror".
And Then There Was Silence: The masterpiece, (but still i prefer "The Soulforged" from this album).
14.01.2011 - 02:46
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 14.01.2011 at 02:37

there is nothing quite like seeing them do "Punishment Divine" live.

I always wondered why they don't play "Battlefield" Live, i love it, this is my favorite song of them, toguether with "Mirror Mirror".
14.01.2011 - 02:49
Susan
Smeghead
Good choices! I definitely picked And Then There Was Silence

Valhalla and Bards Song - In the Forest are live classics, and some of the other songs from the poll are quite epic as well, but nothing comes remotely close to the brilliance of And Then There Was Silence. It's one of those musical journeys that, even at its length, leaves you wanting more. There is so much happening yet it's so cohesive and exciting, always holding your attention. I usually can't listen just once.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
14.01.2011 - 03:00
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Susan on 14.01.2011 at 02:49

Good choices! I definitely picked And Then There Was Silence

Valhalla and Bards Song - In the Forest are live classics, and some of the other songs from the poll are quite epic as well, but nothing comes remotely close to the brilliance of And Then There Was Silence. It's one of those musical journeys that, even at its length, leaves you wanting more. There is so much happening yet it's so cohesive and exciting, always holding your attention. I usually can't listen just once.

Thanks! =)

Yeah, And Then There Was Silence is tremendous, totally unique in the metal, it is for all the senses. You have described it perfectly, better is impossible =) i totally agree with you.
14.01.2011 - 04:37
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I still think Otherland is their best song.
14.01.2011 - 06:13
ImNotMetal

It is difficult Options,
But I choose Mirror Mirror, coz it always gives me SPIRIT!!

But if you want ballad, you can choose bard's song,
they often do not sing when they're singing this song on stage, the audience does.
14.01.2011 - 06:23
Kratos

Ashes To Ashes for me. Every instrument sounds really amazing on that song, especially the bass. Hansi's vocals are also quite impressive aswell. Too bad they didn't play it live when I saw them Valhalla is a close second though, love the intro.
14.01.2011 - 06:41
Susan
Smeghead
Written by ImNotMetal on 14.01.2011 at 06:13

But if you want ballad, you can choose bard's song,
they often do not sing when they're singing this song on stage, the audience does.

You're so right! That makes it such a special moment, in a way we get to serenade THEM for a change

It can really go on and on, same with Valhalla, when the audience is repeating the chorus. We just don't want it to end I suppose!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
14.01.2011 - 07:53
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Vikcen on 14.01.2011 at 02:46
I always wondered why they don't play "Battlefield" Live, i love it, this is my favorite song of them, toguether with "Mirror Mirror".

"Battlefield" isnt played live for the same reason the other songs from "Night At The Opera" are never, or very rarely played live. The sound of that album is loaded with different textures, and Hansi's vocals are layered several times. Which makes it extremely difficult to pull those songs off properly in a live setting. It is a shame, cos songs like "Battlefield" and "The Soulforged" are amongst my fave Blind Guardian songs!

As for my fave Blind Guardian song, I find it extremely difficult to narrow it down to just one. lol For ballads, I actually narrowly prefer "Past And Future Secret" over "The Bard's Song". It just has a very magical, mythical quality to it that I find to be very captivating. xD "I'm Alive" is a song Ive always loved very much, and it might just be my fave BG song. Awesome thrashy vibe, amazing solo, and the chorus is just majestic. Of course, I love many of their songs, but that is probably the one Id go for, if someone was putting a gun to my head.

"Battlefield" is a great choice though, and is definitely in my top 5 songs by the band. Its not a very long song, but it has a totally epic vibe to it!
14.01.2011 - 08:22
Susan
Smeghead
Since we're discussing live songs, too: does anyone remember "Lord of the Rings" from Tales From The Twilight World? Cheesy as hell but I always loved that one. I've actually never heard them do it live but I have a feeling it'd be beautiful, especially if they let the audience do a few choruses... high epic potential
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
14.01.2011 - 09:20
Baz Anderson

"And Then There Was Silence" has to be their pinnacle, at the end of my favourite album of theirs.
14.01.2011 - 09:45
peniku8

My favourite song is "And The Story Ends", cause this song is so epic, I think it's made for Final Fantasy?
14.01.2011 - 09:47
Viltharis
viltharis@o2.pl
"Born In A Mourning Hall", first song of Blind Guardian I've ever heard, is my favourite one.
14.01.2011 - 10:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Mirror Mirror out of these, but I actually think they outdid themselves with Sacred Worlds.
14.01.2011 - 10:39
roger73

Definitely "Script For My Requiem" . Strange that it is not in options...
14.01.2011 - 10:40
Kriegsphilosoph
Account deleted
Pretty much all songs on the "Live" album. So intense.
14.01.2011 - 10:53
ForeverDarkWoods

Damn, you actually had Majesty on there. It's between that one and Guardian Of The Blind for me
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
14.01.2011 - 11:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 14.01.2011 at 10:53

Damn, you actually had Majesty on there. It's between that one and Guardian Of The Blind for me

Those 2 songs are the best on the debut for me.

"Born In A Mourning Hall" actually was my fave song from IFTOS for a while when I first got the album. I still love it a lot.

"Lord Of The Rings" is a song that they play live with some regularity actually. I think it was a live staple of theirs for a long time. And it is on both their live albums, and the live DVD as well. Id definitely love to hear it if I ever saw them live. It is one of those songs tailor made for crowd participation. hehee
14.01.2011 - 12:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I abstain, because this cannot be fairly decided

i can but tell my fav song from each album (even this is hard sometimes):

Battalions Of Fear - dunno this album good enough to decide

Follow The Blind - Banish From Sanctuary (love this song since i have watched Imaginations Through The Looking Glass, where this one servers as kick-ass opener)

Tales From The Twilight World - The Last Candle (yes, i know there is also Lord Of The Rings on this album but "Guardian, Guardian, Guardian of the Blind" intro is immortal)

Somewhere Far Beyond - Somewhere Far Beyond (because the pipes interlude is simply awesome)

Imaginations From The Other Side - Another Holy War (but also A Past And Future Secret and And The Story Ends are brilliant songs)

Nightfall In Middle-Earth - Nightfall (this would probably be "the very best of all BG songs" if you require me to answer)

A Night At The Opera - And Then There Was Silence (but The Soulforged and Punishment Divine suffer thanks to this decision )

A Twist In The Myth - Turn The Page (this even beats Skalds And Shadows, although it is close...but Skalds And Shadows is ballad while this is one of those "come and jump along" pieces)

At The Edge Of Time - War Of The Thrones (the refrain is simply awesome, so i like this song little bit more than Curse My Name which is also wonderful)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

14.01.2011 - 12:51
nb

And then there was silence is a nice song, but it lacks instrumental passages for being a 14 minute song. There a couple of guitar solos,
but not really remarkable. I voted for Mirror Mirror, because that song just has so much energy, when I had a band I wanted to do a cover of that song.
14.01.2011 - 14:18
SoshianT

I think "The Bard's Song - In The Forest" is their best song.
because it get me a good calm .
14.01.2011 - 15:50
Hermann Langke
Brahmastra Corps
All of them LiveBlind Guardian
14.01.2011 - 16:02
Darkside Momo
Retired
Mirror, Mirror, for sure!
(closely folowed by Time Stands Still, Battlefield, Imaginations, Mordred's Song)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.01.2011 - 16:41
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by nb on 14.01.2011 at 12:51
And then there was silence is a nice song, but it lacks instrumental passages for being a 14 minute song. There a couple of guitar solos,
but not really remarkable. I voted for Mirror Mirror, because that song just has so much energy, when I had a band I wanted to do a cover of that song.

I actually agree with that. It is good, but for a 14 minute song, there's not enough going on, or variation to justify it's length. I prefer both of the long songs on the latest album ("Sacred Worlds" and "Wheels Of Time") over it.

Later, I'll do what Ellrohir did, or TRY to, and list my fave song from each album. What a task that is! lol
14.01.2011 - 16:49
Yugosaki

Imaginations From The Other Side
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
14.01.2011 - 17:58
hottercraft

I think Imaginations From The Other Side is their best song... the first one I listened to is still the best one for me.
14.01.2011 - 18:02
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by hottercraft on 14.01.2011 at 17:58

I think Imaginations From The Other Side is their best song... the first one I listened to is still the best one for me.

That was also the first Blind Guardian song I heard, as the album thats from was the first one I heard/bought. Its amazingly hard to pick a fave from that album. The title track, Im Alive, Past And Future Secret, And The Story Ends... it is my fave album of theirs, and most of the songs are amazing.
14.01.2011 - 18:06
Susan
Smeghead
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2011 at 11:54

"Lord Of The Rings" is a song that they play live with some regularity actually. I think it was a live staple of theirs for a long time. And it is on both their live albums, and the live DVD as well. Id definitely love to hear it if I ever saw them live. It is one of those songs tailor made for crowd participation. hehee

For real? Damn, I must be unlucky, they didn't play it for me! I do have the DVD though and it's been a while since I watched. Might have to do that....
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
14.01.2011 - 18:24
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Susan on 14.01.2011 at 18:06
For real? Damn, I must be unlucky, they didn't play it for me! I do have the DVD though and it's been a while since I watched. Might have to do that....

Yep! lol

It is unlucky, it is a song they play a lot. They must have just recently started leaving out of the set... I have the DVD as well, its great! Just made me want to see them even more though.
14.01.2011 - 18:53
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2011 at 07:53

Written by Vikcen on 14.01.2011 at 02:46

"Battlefield" isnt played live for the same reason the other songs from "Night At The Opera" are never, or very rarely played live. The sound of that album is loaded with different textures, and Hansi's vocals are layered several times. Which makes it extremely difficult to pull those songs off properly in a live setting. It is a shame, cos songs like "Battlefield" and "The Soulforged" are amongst my fave Blind Guardian songs!

As for my fave Blind Guardian song, I find it extremely difficult to narrow it down to just one. lol For ballads, I actually narrowly prefer "Past And Future Secret" over "The Bard's Song". It just has a very magical, mythical quality to it that I find to be very captivating. xD "I'm Alive" is a song Ive always loved very much, and it might just be my fave BG song. Awesome thrashy vibe, amazing solo, and the chorus is just majestic. Of course, I love many of their songs, but that is probably the one Id go for, if someone was putting a gun to my head.

"Battlefield" is a great choice though, and is definitely in my top 5 songs by the band. Its not a very long song, but it has a totally epic vibe to it!

Yes, it is a shame. In the conert that i was they didn't play any song from ANATO, i would have liked to see "Battlefield" or "The Soulforged" .

Written by Susan on 14.01.2011 at 08:22

Since we're discussing live songs, too: does anyone remember "Lord of the Rings" from Tales From The Twilight World? Cheesy as hell but I always loved that one. I've actually never heard them do it live but I have a feeling it'd be beautiful, especially if they let the audience do a few choruses... high epic potential

I had the luck to see "Lord of the Rings" in the concert, and i have to say that this song win many integers in live compared with the studio version in my opinion, in live it is really awesome.

Written by roger73 on 14.01.2011 at 10:39

Definitely "Script For My Requiem" . Strange that it is not in options...

Yeah, one of my favorites, i love this song dude... Very hard to select one song in this album... Imaginations From The Other Side, A Past And Future Secret, Born In A Mourning Hall...