Metal Storm logo
Leaves' Eyes - New Album Due In April

Meredead, the new album from Leaves' Eyes, will be released on April 22nd in Germany, Austria and Switzerland (with more streetdates to follow soon).

Leaves' Eyes vocalist and producer Alexander Krull is doing the final mix of Meredead at Mastersound Studio.

Cover artwork by Stefan Heilemann.

Singer Liv Kristine comments: "As we began composing the first song ideas for our fourth full-length album, all of us were very eager to take another step in strengthening both the individual sound and concept of Leaves' Eyes, like we have done album by album.

Along with the song-writing process, I made up my mind about the songs' themes, and drowned myself in different sources of literature. Some songs clearly needed lyrics rooted in northern history and culture, as well as having mystical themes. Being an Old-English fan, I decided to write some of the lyrics in Old-English, which of course included further studies of grammatical and phonetic knowledge, which I really enjoyed doing. Next to modern English and Old-English, some songs are sung in traditional Norwegian, to keep their strong individuality and focus on certain themes from special genres in Norwegian traditional singing.

The album is given the title Meredead, as one of the songs on the album. It is my own word-creation (at least I haven't found it in a dictionary yet), and it may mean both "dead by/in the sea", or "the mortal or killing sea". In my lyrics you will find traditional themes from Viking literature and Norwegian song tradition, moreover, tales from the Irish isles, some from already existing sources, some made up myself. Sometimes you will hear about men going on adventures, some ending up drowing in the sea, their wives, evil witches, three-headed trolls, or spell-bound princesses, as well as marble halls and blood-thirsty creatures. I allowed myself more freedom for the concept of Meredead, telling a number of different stories, real, mystical or sometimes maybe even both."

[Also thanks to CyberSymphony for the news!]

Source: leaveseyes.de
Band profile: Leaves' Eyes
Posted: 16.01.2011 by Abattoir

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 89 users
16.01.2011 - 17:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Cool artwork, their best since We Came With The Northern Winds I find. Still a bit too digitized for my taste, but pleasing nonetheless
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
16.01.2011 - 17:34
Ragana
Rawrcat
I like Liv's appreciation of mythology of other cultures, or the love of culture as such. I believe that's just another reason for me to still like this band. I hope the album's going to be good.

About the artwork, well, it's strange that there's no Liv (I mean, she's always in the pic, right?) and again, it's not what I would call an "artwork". I don't find the blending of some chick, a few Celtic crosses, some watery scene and ee... lightning (?) very original. Sure, that's a lot of work and it all might seem really cool, but I'm sick of seeing Photoshop everywhere.
16.01.2011 - 17:41
annodomini
The artwork is rip off of Graveworm's - (n)Utopia.
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.01.2011 - 19:21
Enissa
Cooool, the artwork looks very good, and some of the songs will be in old-english, just like Theatre of tragedy! this album looks promising...
16.01.2011 - 19:31
muska
Written by annodomini on 16.01.2011 at 17:41

it's only a good thing though
16.01.2011 - 20:16
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Written by muska on 16.01.2011 at 19:31

I also though it looked like their album cover too, I think its looks great.
16.01.2011 - 20:37
annodomini

I am trying to avoid thought that Ripping Off something is a good thing
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.01.2011 - 22:30
Dark Blood
The Avenger
The cover looks good. But what's important is the content of the cd... I just hope it's better than the last one.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
16.01.2011 - 23:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Idea and isnipartion is awesome, also lyrical themes and langadges, defenetly gonna try this album , and she never has written bad lyric, each has poetical toche
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.01.2011 - 00:52
muska
Written by annodomini on 16.01.2011 at 20:37

I am trying to avoid thought that Ripping Off something is a good thing

i'm sorry that you are such a sad person that this is what you think i meant. let me rephrase - its a good thing because this artwork is just as beautiful as Graveworm's - (n)Utopia.
17.01.2011 - 09:55
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Very cool artwork. Hope the music can match that
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.01.2011 - 19:27
mariano
Looks like Nightwish's "End of an Era" style... Isn't it actually the same font on the title
...anyway, it doesn't look bad, it's just another typical cover for a symphonic band
19.01.2011 - 00:15
jimmy
Thats some badass artwork right there. i'm actually glad that liv is not on the cover. as beautiful as she is, i think it really limits what you can do with your album artwork when you have to have the band on the cover all the time. i've always hated it when bands with female singers, have the singer on every cover. thats boring and predictible. yes, we know your band has a chick singer, now please give us some real artwork, LE did that with this cover. very well done.
20.01.2011 - 04:57
Dominus
The Shooter
Awesome artwork

Hits total: 3005 | This month: 8