Metal Storm logo
What is linkage between Metal and Satanism

Original post

Posted by akvan, 18.01.2011 - 14:45
Somebody says all metalheads are satanist , but somebody says Metal is just a kind of music , what's your idea ?
11.04.2011 - 18:21
painkiller worm

I think, they just trying to sell music.... THATS ALL
bUT band such as majority of black metal band are satanist (I'm not sure)
----
cogito ergo sum
12.04.2011 - 12:11
ANGEL REAPER

Written by painkiller worm on 11.04.2011 at 18:21

I think, they just trying to sell music.... THATS ALL
bUT band such as majority of black metal band are satanist (I'm not sure)

its your opinion,and i am not saying anything,but you should read this thread from the start....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.04.2011 - 00:10
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.02.2011 at 13:21

Dio already used the devil hornss when in Rainbow so before he joined Black Sabbath, so that BS thing by Psykometal is bullshit
And as Dio has said the devil horns was already used in Italy way before it was popularized in metal and it is a sign to ward off evil. So to keep satan away.

This.

It's an old Italian gesture to ward off evil eyes. People just assumed it had something to do with Satan. I see all the pentagrams as a way to keep squares and people who don't understand the music out.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/the_devils_horns_a_rock_and_roll_symbol.html

EDIT 6/10/11: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4952646.stm

Interesting article I stumbled upon
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
02.03.2012 - 07:45
naldrin

I don't think that it would be fair to directly link metal music to something related to the devil as that is just not the way things work.

It could even happen to the most mellow of songs and it just depends on how the song goes. Very unfair for the greater population to be too quick to judge on how metal is related to the works of the devil.

Personally, it can occur in pop, country, or even the "religious" of songs.
11.09.2016 - 21:44
Crimson Maiden

Right..mmm..I think metal music is just a form of music to enjoy and the Satan thing is just to get your attention...There is no law saying you have to be a satanist to enjoy the music...is a bunch of bullshit to me....I am only here for the music and nothing else...8-]]
16.09.2016 - 02:57
Ganondox

There is none. Conservative religions have called rock music in general Satanic because they don't know what they are talking about, they don't like it, so they called it satanic. To be fair, many rockstars were very hedonistic (though Elvis was very religious) and thus gives some basis for that claim, but that doesn't apply to all. With metal, some bands used satan in their imagery because of their darker lyrical themes, but they weren't in anyway Satanic. That just comes from people who saw the images without actually reading the lyrics, which more often had a quasi-christian theme and were thus anti-satanic. Metal that was actually Satanic didn't come until later with Venom, and from then on black metal was used to refer to bands which were actually satanic, but even then it was still used just for shock value. The first metal band that was authentically satanic is arguably Mercyful Fate as King Diamond is a LaVeyan Satanist, but satanic music has been around LONG before then, Anton LeVey composed hymns.
21.09.2016 - 16:44
Enteroctopus

Metal was by no means the first, "devils music," and Blues probably wasn't, either, but Blues got that reputation, and because of the low quality of amplification equipment is also the first genre where glottal (throat) distortion became a distinctive feature of the vocal style, i.e. "growling." Though it wasn't a true growl, originally it was to get the voice over the drums and bass, and the fact that it was played in bars and mostly by black musicians made white conservatives very nervous, so "devil's music" was born.

A little British band by the name of Black Sabbath decided that was pretty cool, and taking the distortion of the guitars a bit further created a sound we call metal today. Ozzy has often said (repeatedly) that the lyrics are a warning against various forms of evil, like the "witches at black masses" who plan our wars for young men to die in.

At some point the fun of toying with christian sensibilities naturally let to certain bands (Venom, Slayer, etc.) displaying inverted crosses, etc., but I think that was more of an artistic statement as I feel that lyrically that stuff is either, A) a warning or criticism of society, or B) strictly entertainment like a horror movie or slasher novel. Who doesn't like a good murder? Or zombies?

Actual satanism is a rather silly "religion," and doesn't really even qualify. Being a "Satanist" is a bit like being a rennaissance fair person. It's a role you toy about with for fun, little dress up costume you can play in. If you're not hurting anyone, who cares? might as well dress up as a princess for all I fucking care.

I don't think any bands worth listening to waste their time with that.
22.09.2016 - 17:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Enteroctopus on 21.09.2016 at 16:44

Actual satanism is a rather silly "religion," and doesn't really even qualify.

Just like any religion is rather to extremely silly.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2016 - 17:29
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ I don't know... If you don't believe in any religion you may think indeed any religion is silly
But don't you think like... Picking a random religion, then saying the bad guy in that religion is the good guy and also vice-versa and then calling it another religion is well, a new level of silly? Like... far sillier than the others?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
12.04.2018 - 02:47
Drippy.Hippie

As elite as Satanism is by nature, it wouldn't be realistic to say that all Metal (meaning all Metal bands as well as the musicians within the bands) is 'Satanic'. Even the bands that have legitimate Satanists within them, not all of the members would necessarily be Satanists. Most of the time it's just for shock value, especially the 80s bands, seeing as the 1980s was the period of the "Satanic Panic", it was unarguably a good marketing idea to attract rebellious/individualist young persons.

Honestly, I truly don't believe that Venom were Satanists in real life. The affiliations of such modern bands as Deicide, Dimmu Borgir and (especially) Cradle Of Filth are also extremely questionable, All that we know for certain is that those bands are anti-christian. Satanism isn't just something you can convert to, you have to be born as a Satanist according to your nature.......Nietzsche even described such people in his writings, only he used the term, "Overman" (Übermensch in German) and not "Satanist" . It was really the Christians who first coined the word 'Satanic' to criticize anything that was at odds with their religion, but Satanism as a religion/philosophy was never officially codified until 1966 by Anton S. LaVey.

There are Satanists out there who actually don't listen to metal. The majority of the time, it's just the aesthetics of Satanism which attract the fans/listeners when it comes to metal though, it doesn't mean necessarily that either party (the band nor the listener) are Satanists.

The link between Satanism and Metal is obvious......Both promote individualism.

Side note: Today is 'The Doktor's Birthday HAIL ANTON SZANDOR LAVEY!
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
12.07.2018 - 21:20
Ganondox

Written by Drippy.Hippie on 12.04.2018 at 02:47

As elite as Satanism is by nature, it wouldn't be realistic to say that all Metal (meaning all Metal bands as well as the musicians within the bands) is 'Satanic'. Even the bands that have legitimate Satanists within them, not all of the members would necessarily be Satanists. Most of the time it's just for shock value, especially the 80s bands, seeing as the 1980s was the period of the "Satanic Panic", it was unarguably a good marketing idea to attract rebellious/individualist young persons.

Honestly, I truly don't believe that Venom were Satanists in real life. The affiliations of such modern bands as Deicide, Dimmu Borgir and (especially) Cradle Of Filth are also extremely questionable, All that we know for certain is that those bands are anti-christian. Satanism isn't just something you can convert to, you have to be born as a Satanist according to your nature.......Nietzsche even described such people in his writings, only he used the term, "Overman" (Übermensch in German) and not "Satanist" . It was really the Christians who first coined the word 'Satanic' to criticize anything that was at odds with their religion, but Satanism as a religion/philosophy was never officially codified until 1966 by Anton S. LaVey.

There are Satanists out there who actually don't listen to metal. The majority of the time, it's just the aesthetics of Satanism which attract the fans/listeners when it comes to metal though, it doesn't mean necessarily that either party (the band nor the listener) are Satanists.

The link between Satanism and Metal is obvious......Both promote individualism.

Side note: Today is 'The Doktor's Birthday HAIL ANTON SZANDOR LAVEY!

Considering the Nietzsche identified Jesus as an example of an Übermensch, they definitely aren't the same thing as a Satanist. A more accurate assessment is that people who identify as satanists tend to be wannabe Übermensch, but are actually just reactionary and thus about as far from an Übermensch as you can get.