Album: Murmuüre
Release date: March 2010

01. Primo Vere
02. Reincarnate
03. Torch Bearer
04. Amethyst
05. L'Adieu Au Soleil
06. Disincarnate

A while back, I heard myself complaining to someone that I hadn't found any unique and cool Black metal in a while. I just couldn't find anything interesting for a while and that freaked me out. Where were all the cool releases off to? A party I wasn't invited to? But suddenly it struck me - I hadn't ordered from Paradigms Recordings in a while! Foolish, foolish me! If there's one label (there are more, but PR is a good example) that always releases unique stuff, it's Paradigms Recordings. (I'm not getting paid for this shameless plug, unfortunately). Whatever they release, on whatever side of their broad spectrum, you can bet your mother on it that it's either mind-blowing, flabbergasting or virtually inconceivable. (Unless you're trying to get rid of your mother, in that case, you're better off betting Dimmu Borgir won't cover Justin Bieber on their next release. It's more likely, I tell you. Actually, I think that's more likely than a lot of things.)

Murmuüre is Black metal made by aliens. If you're thinking of Oranssi Pazuzu now, you're wrong. These aren't cosmo-cruising, acid-dropping space-hippies grooving to an esoteric form of Black metal. If you're thinking of Mars On Earth, you're getting closer, but still lightyears away. These aren't martians on a brief visit, delivering a message of bleak, industrial decay (with old school Nintendo-styled blips and bleeps, of course). If you're thinking of Chaos Moon, you're even closer, but (you guessed it) still not spot on.

Murmuüre is Black metal made by aliens, aliens wholly inconceivable to our earthly paradigms. Shapeshifters, to our eyes distorted creatures, carrying an indescribable aura of both malice and redemption. Harsh, harsh Black noise alternates with colourless, infinite vistas of emptiness: moments of faint recognition are lost within waves of uncertainty. Am I pretentious enough for you at this point? Good. Truth is, Murmuüre is a mixed bag of (I've said it before) empty synthesizers, deep cosmic roars and flat, harsh noise. Plus crystal clear bells, buzzing mosquitoes and plenty more weird shenanigans. Cool beans, eh?

It's a Paradigms Recordings release in their true style: something unheard, something wholly estranging and something you really have to hear for yourself. Their releases aren't a guaranteed hit, but they're a guaranteed surprise and perhaps that's even better.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written on 21.01.2011 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 33   Visited by: 227 users
07.11.2011 - 19:40
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2011 at 17:48

You're welcome

better now ?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
07.11.2011 - 19:45
Rating: 9
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 07.11.2011 at 19:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.11.2011 at 17:48

You're welcome

better now ?

Yeah, I feel all fuzzy inside.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.11.2011 - 16:24
Krankheit
Account deleted
"Black metal made by aliens"

I truly believe that after listening to this album!

Hits total: 7976 | This month: 21