Metal Storm logo
How long are you listening to metal?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.01.2011 - 17:58
I have listening to metal for about three years now.From knowing about five to six bands then , now i listen to over 200!!!!!!!!!!

SO HAVE LONG ARE YOU LISTENING TO METAL? Months? Years? Decades? Centuries? Millenia?
24.03.2016 - 06:04
Sang Dalang Abu
Ok, I lying. I'm 20. And I listening to metal since 8/9 so it was 13 years.
23.04.2016 - 03:34
Lou Rambler
I've been listening to metal, among many other styles, for almost 36 years, but for the last 5, 85% of what i listen is extreme metal.
I think it's weird, the older i get the more i like...
06.05.2016 - 11:52
Metal Ninja
I started to listen to metal/rock properly when I stumbled across "Tommy Vance Friday Rock Show" on the radio back around 1984, been addicted to metal/rock since then.
16.05.2016 - 04:42
Overrwatcher
I started listening less than two years ago, I'm able to trace it back to September 2014 from one of my old forums. As a child I listened to tons of nu-metal like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc because my dad listened to those, but I never went any further. I could never get into the 80's metal, and to this day I still can't. But I was trying to jump ship from a sinking electronic music scene, and was desperate to go to other genres. One of my all-time favorite electronic groups, Pendulum, made a (surprisingly good) collab with In Flames. So I dived in headfirst to Come Clarity and was hooked.

It's funny seeing my old posts, referring to Amorphis and Wintersun as "pretty alright" and I only listened to In Flames, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, Machine Head, and The Unguided. I still really like the first four.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
16.05.2016 - 19:26
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Overrwatcher on 16.05.2016 at 04:42

I started listening less than two years ago, I'm able to trace it back to September 2014 from one of my old forums. As a child I listened to tons of nu-metal like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc because my dad listened to those, but I never went any further.

Ummm . . . . what? those bands are not even metal. But I'm glad you want listen to metal.
17.05.2016 - 02:36
Overrwatcher
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 16.05.2016 at 19:26

I started listening less than two years ago, I'm able to trace it back to September 2014 from one of my old forums. As a child I listened to tons of nu-metal like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc because my dad listened to those, but I never went any further.

Ummm . . . . what? those bands are not even metal. But I'm glad you want listen to metal.

I didn't listen to metal back then. I didn't claim they were metal, I just said they opened the window for me to metal. Same aggression and distorted riffs as metal. Now I listen to metal.

Please knock off the condescending attitude. You are judging me for what I listened to when I was 8 years old, and saying that what I listened to back then means I don't listen to metal now, even though I don't really listen to nu-metal any more. If I wanted my entire taste to be invalidated based on one or two bands, let alone two bands I listened to when I was fucking EIGHT, I would have gone to the Metal Archives or any of my old forums. EDIT: Misunderstanding, cleared up now.
----

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
18.05.2016 - 07:48
Kennoth
When I was around 14/15, so a good decade I suppose.
----
*insert something deep and profound*
18.05.2016 - 07:50
Kennoth

By what definition is Disturbed not metal?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
18.05.2016 - 15:47
Sang Dalang Abu
Written by Overrwatcher on 17.05.2016 at 02:36

I didn't listen to metal back then. I didn't claim they were metal, I just said they opened the window for me to metal. Same aggression and distorted riffs as metal. Now I listen to metal.

Please knock off the condescending attitude. You are judging me for what I listened to when I was 8 years old, and saying that what I listened to back then means I don't listen to metal now, even though I don't really listen to nu-metal any more. If I wanted my entire taste to be invalidated based on one or two bands, let alone two bands I listened to when I was fucking EIGHT, I would have gone to the Metal Archives or any of my old forums.

It's like I didn't get it what have you say. I'm sorry, sorry

Please stay here
23.05.2016 - 10:47
Overrwatcher
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 18.05.2016 at 15:47

Written by Overrwatcher on 17.05.2016 at 02:36

Please knock off the condescending attitude. You are judging me for what I listened to when I was 8 years old, and saying that what I listened to back then means I don't listen to metal now, even though I don't really listen to nu-metal any more. If I wanted my entire taste to be invalidated based on one or two bands, let alone two bands I listened to when I was fucking EIGHT, I would have gone to the Metal Archives or any of my old forums.

Its like I didn't get it what have you say. I'm sorry,sorry

Please stay here

It's cool. I figured that there might have been a bit of confusion from both sides. I interpreted your "But I'm glad you want listen to metal" as an "aww, that's cute that you think you listen to metal" when you didn't intend that, since that's the attitude I'm used to from the metal community.

I'm glad we can clear it up, in MS we're all friends here
----

15.09.2016 - 04:04
__Mailman
I've been listening to metal for over a year and, not to be a boisterous jerk, my knowledge of metal surpasses that of my metalhead friends who have listened for 5+ years.
29.10.2016 - 18:50
I have been listening since December 2009 or July 2009 if you count this band as metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY6BOGNHfJk I was 15 back then, 22 now, so it has been 7 years since I discovered metal.
08.11.2016 - 00:59
Empty Skies
Hmm I have been listening to metal for maybe about around 5 years.
----
31.01.2017 - 18:54
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I believe it's been 10 years since I first discovered Metallica and my taste just evolved from there.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
04.02.2017 - 12:28
konung
The topic made me realize that soon will be almost 20 years. How time flies.
19.02.2017 - 17:16
fourrobert13
I've been listening for 30 years or so. I got hooked when I heard Live After Death. My brother had it mixed in with all of his hair bands in his cassette collection. Absolutely loved the cover art on that. Shortly thereafter, I bought Somewhere in Time. I've kinda been all over the place with metal. Started with traditional, then thrash, then progressive, then death, then black, and finally some of the more obscure genres. I've got quite the collection of albums/EPs/Singles somewhere around 3500 total. It started as cassettes (none of which I have anymore), then CDs (still have a lot of these), and now I buy a mix of physical and digital albums depending on availability. I'd say my favorite genres are thrash and progressive metal (all forms), but old school death metal is still up there. My wife says I need help and she could be right, but I enjoy it.
24.02.2017 - 21:08
Sang Dalang Abu
3500? ^ I hope I can trade cool stuff with u sir.
27.02.2017 - 20:07
fourrobert13
Written by Sang Dalang Abu on 24.02.2017 at 21:08

3500? ^ I hope I can trade cool stuff with u sir.

I probably should start trading or selling some of it. Lord knows it's impossible to listen to it all. I had to make a list a long time ago because I bought things I already owned...lol. I ripped all of it to flac and keep it in two hard drives. The physical copies are stored in my basement to keep the kids out of them. Who knows what I'll do with it all in the future.
10.03.2017 - 21:14
oldguy
Since about 1985, longer if you count Christian stuff (I don't!)
14.03.2017 - 21:13
Betahuman
Been listening på metal since i was around 10 or 11, in the mid 90's. Got some cassette tapes from a friend and instantly fell in love with Blind Guardian.
27.03.2017 - 18:59
Nosferatus90
It was, I guess, 4 years ago. I talked to one guy and he recommended me to listen to Metal, adviced me the most popular groups. So my metal way started at the http://www.cupid.com/, with a handsome man))
20.04.2017 - 00:29
In 1978 (yes I am really THAT old) a school friend lent me a copy of Priest's 'Killing Machine'. I played it on my dad's stereo and immediately taped it. I've never been interested in any other type of music since then. So that's coming up to 40 years of hearing hundreds of bands and thousands of albums. I've been lucky enough to have experienced the birth of NWOBHM in the late 70s through thrash in the 80s right through to today's great new bands. It's just a genre that once you're into it stays with you for life. That's why it's lasted so long and has the loyalist fans in music.
21.04.2017 - 09:32
Jtbmetal123
I myself are going on a decade but, I was raised on metal but I wasnt really into it until I was 15.
21.04.2017 - 11:24
hardmetal
I'm relatively new to metal... Have been listening to it for the past 2 years. I guess it is the music that resonates with my inner world now.
21.04.2017 - 14:15
nikarg
staff
It started in 1988 when a friend of mine introduced me to "The Trooper". I went and bought the cd of Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son that had just come out and I remember playing it for the first time. From the first notes of "Moonchild" I was hooked and I still get goosebumps whenever I hear it, even today, because it always reminds me of that time. Before that, I listened to hard rock (Def Leppard, Van Halen, Kiss and Bon Jovi I am ashamed to admit) as well as electropop (Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, etc).
21.04.2017 - 14:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Since September 1979
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.04.2017 - 15:23
Metren
Dreadrealm
Since the fall of 2005, if memory serves. Moved to a new apartment with my family when I was 15 and the cable TV there included some german music channels, which occasionally played some (commercial and terrible tbh) metal tracks by some more mainstream metal bands. It wasn't the most epic of beginnings, but at least it helped me grow out of U2
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
06.05.2017 - 05:14
actvalmetal
Since 2010, so 7 years. I'm still convinced that 2010 was 3 years ago, however.
----
I have a blog where I attempt to dispel myths about metal: actvalmetal.wordpress.com
You decide if it's terrible or not. Feedback is always encouraged!
08.05.2017 - 00:55
solar
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 21.04.2017 at 14:23

Since September 1979

September is really precise. Got a record as a birthday gift or something?
08.05.2017 - 00:57
solar
For about 5 years now, or about a year if you exclude the generic stuff.