05. A Clockwork Apocalypse
06. Eye Of The Void
07. Trapped In An Hourglass
08. Xenomorphic
09. Cataclysm Child

Guest review by
Risto
Rating:
On their two previous efforts the Finnish MyGrain have put out thrash and keyboard driven modern melodic death metal spiced up with melodic vocals. Their self-titled third album is more melodic and more experimental than their earlier releases but it still retains the aggressive sound the band is known for. Most importantly, it's their best album to date and a breath of fresh air to the entire scene.

Read more ››
published 30.04.2011 | Comments (9)

Found in 19 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 341 users
30.01.2011 - 03:17
KoMa

THIS BAND IS Fing SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
07.02.2011 - 03:02
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

Hmm, I really liked Signs of Existence. Transluscent Dreams is one of the best songs I've ever heard. Just heard this album for the first time, it feels like they have taken a step back. A bit to complicated, and somehow the power elements doesn't seem to blend.
08.02.2011 - 23:46
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Kuroboshi on 07.02.2011 at 03:02

Just heard this album for the first time, it feels like they have taken a step back. A bit to complicated, and somehow the power elements doesn't seem to blend.

Complicated how? "Into the Parallel Universe" is a phenomenal track considering the power metal elements.
11.02.2011 - 06:00
Kuroboshi

Written by Risto on 08.02.2011 at 23:46

Written by Kuroboshi on 07.02.2011 at 03:02

Just heard this album for the first time, it feels like they have taken a step back. A bit to complicated, and somehow the power elements doesn't seem to blend.

Complicated how? "Into the Parallel Universe" is a phenomenal track considering the power metal elements.

I agree, that's an awesome track. I like power metal as well, it's not that, it's just that their powerish side and deathish side seems like their at odds with each other. For example, "Shadow people" becomes meh half through, "A Clockwork Apocalypse" is just plain weak etc. Well actually, from "A Clockwork Apocalypse" onward, it's pretty boring until the last track.

I really liked "Of Immortal Aeons" though. Still, a solid effort I think.
12.02.2011 - 13:17
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Kuroboshi on 11.02.2011 at 06:00
I agree, that's an awesome track. I like power metal as well, it's not that, it's just that their powerish side and deathish side seems like their at odds with each other. For example, "Shadow people" becomes meh half through, "A Clockwork Apocalypse" is just plain weak etc. Well actually, from "A Clockwork Apocalypse" onward, it's pretty boring until the last track.

This band just wanted to evolve and managed to write more progressive songs that actually sound very good. "Xenomorphic" is better than anything released in 2010 by a melodeath band, even though not being that original in style. Btw, I saw them live yesterday and, believe it or not, "A Clockwork Apocalypse" is the strongest live song from the new album, along with "Xeno". The singer was a bit disappointing in other new stuff though.
29.04.2011 - 21:46
Starchild

Before i get the album i was expecting some average melodeath, but anyway I decide to check out this guys. And man, what a surprise!! what a fantastic gothenburg(melodic death album is this!! ...and unfortunately underrated (8.0/10), rating should be a lot higher (in my opinion).. One of best albums of the year (so far) for me!!!
04.11.2011 - 17:15
Rating: 8
neonxaos

Once again I missed out on something because I didn't like the band's name. And why the hell would a band called "MyGrain" release an album called "Mygrain" with a lower-case "g"? That just does my head in. What if Megadeth released an album called "MegaDeth"? That would just be...

ANYWAY. The music also does my head in, fortunately. Excellent Gothenburg style stuff being fired off here, really loving it.
04.11.2011 - 17:28
beyondtehdarksun

Written by neonxaos on 04.11.2011 at 17:15
And why the hell would a band called "MyGrain" release an album called "Mygrain" with a lower-case "g"? That just does my head in. What if Megadeth released an album called "MegaDeth"? That would just be...

You didn't notice Absu and their recent creativity regarding album titles yet, did you?
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
04.11.2011 - 18:17
Rating: 8
neonxaos

Written by beyondtehdarksun on 04.11.2011 at 17:28

Written by neonxaos on 04.11.2011 at 17:15
And why the hell would a band called "MyGrain" release an album called "Mygrain" with a lower-case "g"? That just does my head in. What if Megadeth released an album called "MegaDeth"? That would just be...

You didn't notice Absu and their recent creativity regarding album titles yet, did you?

I have... but at least they seem to be trying something... Not something clever, but SOMETHING
04.11.2011 - 23:22
Risto
Wandering Midget
"Mygrain" is just how Metal Storm chose to write it. Self-titled album is what it is
08.01.2012 - 04:18
Rating: 10
patrickmetal12

Much better than Omnium Gatherums release last year. they both have similar sounds, yet Mygrain is still more aggresive and their music more powerful. love both bands, but i would say, Mygrain deserves a higher rating than new world shadows.
06.07.2013 - 00:00
jfAkerfeldt

This album is great ... the vocalist is extremely versatile, the sound is very fresh and very energetic ... I love this album
29.03.2019 - 12:39
nonZero

Written by Starchild on 29.04.2011 at 21:46

Before i get the album i was expecting some average melodeath, but anyway I decide to check out this guys. And man, what a surprise!! what a fantastic gothenburg(melodic death album is this!! ...and unfortunately underrated (8.0/10), rating should be a lot higher (in my opinion).. One of best albums of the year (so far) for me!!!

Completely agree. A great and underrated album!
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)

Hits total: 9622 | This month: 20