Metal Storm logo
Which are the "basic" Doom albums?

Original post

Posted by SlaytanicGonzo, 25.01.2011 - 10:01
I have listened to very little Doom, and would like to know more about it. Can you recommend me which are the best and "basic" Doom metal albums? Like Reign In Blood and Bonded By Blood are for thrash or Altars Of Madness and Legion are for death metal. Preferably with clean vocals.
I listened to Candlemass' Nightfall and Draconian's Arcane Rain Fell and love those albums. As well as Sabbath's old stuff (if that counts as Doom)
26.01.2011 - 20:47
h.max

The angel and the dark river from my dying bride

one of the coolest doom metal albuns in my opinion
26.01.2011 - 23:09
SoshianT

Albums of My Dying Bride is similair to draconian.
27.01.2011 - 17:56
Acolyt#1

Reverend Bizarre is awesome. I'd recommend Sahg too, wich is closer to Sabbath's doom, The Sword's Warp Rider too
01.02.2011 - 05:57
Johnnyboy414

Witchcraft, Pentagram, and Pagan Altar. Those are some of my favorites.
01.02.2011 - 18:37
Gaucholulo

1. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (where everythings start i think)
2. Trouble - Psalm 9
3. Cathedral - Forest of Euilibrium
4. Candlemass - King of the grey islands.
5. Anathema - Pentecost III
04.02.2011 - 15:20
Night Sight

There are a lot
my most favorite genre of metal is doom metal
anathema - judgement is good to start doom metal
my dying bride- the light at the end of the world and songs of darkness words of light are best doom metal albums i'v ever heard
draconian- where lovers mourn is also great start
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
04.02.2011 - 15:20
Night Sight

Oh iforgot about traditional doom metal
candlemass-nightfall
my first and last recomond
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
17.02.2011 - 06:49
RUMAKS

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath/Master of Reality
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans/Like Gods of the Sun
Candlemass - Nightfall
Catacombs - In the Dephts of R'lyeh
Swallow the Sun - New Moon/Ghosts of Loss
Shape of Despair - Shades of...
Magnus Pelander - s/t (not excactly doom, but goes nicely with the same mood)
19.02.2011 - 19:41
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Classic doom like Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metallicus and Nightfall.
----
24.02.2011 - 23:38
Javier__00

Serenades by Anathema... at least is my basic one.
If you want to go deeper then go for Cemetary Of Scream's Melancholy
04.03.2011 - 21:46
anarchist_36

If you're interested in the kinda stoner/doom metal type stuff check out the documentary Such Hawks Such Hounds it has lots of great bands and live footage. If you want to find some cool proto doom and some other cool and obscure stuff check out the channel DoomMantia849 on youtube, he's put up lots of great stuff.
06.03.2011 - 00:24
TrollandDie

A bit of Candlemass is pretty awesome.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
06.03.2011 - 14:47
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Saturno on 06.03.2011 at 13:36

You must start listening doom from Anathema(for its light atmospher) ,go on with queue ; Loveless=>Blazing Eternity=>The Gathering (Always,mandylion,souvenirs) =>Paradise Lost(Shades Of God)=>Katatonia=>Saturnus=>Swallow The Sun and Finally My Dying Bride.

I don't think anyone "must" listen to that specifically ordered list of bands there, especially since you included Swallow the Sun. Anathema, although a good place to start, is not the be all/end all doom metal band.

Quote:

İt takes years to be a real doomer,you cannot feel the deepness of the great albums of the bands above immediately after listening.You will understand after years of listening ,when your emotions are fucked up and shocked by the songs ,you will say wowww what was that ,after years passed and you think about your doomed past ,you will say: what happened to me in those years .You must be a patient listener if you want to like doom.Because in doom the whole of the song is good,not a piece of it,or a apart of it.İt is a compositon if it s a good song.

It may have taken you years to be a "real doomer", but it's really not the hardest genre to get into. I first heard Candlemass in ... 2008? Been listening to and enjoying all aspects of doom and extreme doom ever since. It didn't take me until now to fully "comprehend" the genre. Maybe that was the case for you because you started with that list you gave up there instead of the classics.

Quote:

Never start listening doom with the best albums of doom,if you do that never say "Yes I listened doom enough and Now I know everything about it,so never teach me about doom and ask me to listen other songs and bands, cos I listened the best of it so I dont need etc....".

And I don't think anyone here is looking to pretend as if they are the ultimate doom masters or know-it-all. A user wanted help with finding classic doom metal albums so he could get into the genre (or at least see if he likes it). Not much of what you had to say here helps with that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.03.2011 - 22:35
SoshianT

No,i think you just listen to their music and don't care their lyrics
of corse my dying bride in the past is not similair to draconian but in earlier is similair in some of songs
my dying bride : My Wine In Silence,She Is The Dark,The Blue Lotus,The Snow In My Hand,Prize Of Beauty,My Hope-the Destroyer,Deeper Down,.....
Draconian : The Cry of Silence,earthbound,Heaven laid In Tears (Angels Lament),morphine cloud,....
it's my opinion
07.03.2011 - 13:07
IronAngel

Haha, same goes for you too, Metin. Difference is just as subjectively experienced as similarity. You hear that they're completely different because that's how your mental schemes direct your attention. Constructivism, baby. That said, I can think of several bands that to me sound closer to MDB than Draconian.
08.03.2011 - 10:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sorry but Swallow The Sun are totally NOT a hard band to get into. It's the easiest doom around and really really really light. Old My dying Bride is infinitely harder than the poster boys of doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.03.2011 - 13:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.03.2011 at 10:50

Sorry but Swallow The Sun are totally NOT a hard band to get into. It's the easiest doom around and really really really light. Old My dying Bride is infinitely harder than the poster boys of doom.

Yeah... I mean, My Dying Bride is pretty vanilla (and boring as hell) with their latest two albums imo. But going a little bit back specially their first two albums + Symphonaire... EP... That stuff is far from being as accessible that everything STS has ever done.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 13:51
IronAngel

Yeah, Swallow The Sun's debut was actually the first doom album I got into and bought. I didn't know about doom back then, I just read an article and a review in a Finnish metal magazine and thought I'd give it a go. It was cool and catchy, and I listened to it on and off for some time before getting into any other doom. Then it was My Dying Bride and a little later, Reverend Bizarre. (Katatonia, the Gathering and Anathema have long been my favorites, but I didn't actually get into their doomy past until much later and even then really only like Katatonia's first albums.) Doom was never hard for me to get into, nor did I ever really try. I listened to it some when I was an avid metal head, then I got bored with metal and moved on to other music. During that time doom was really the only metal genre that interested me, and lately I've been enthusiastically delving into all aspects of it. I'm not a doom expert by any stretch, rather it's been a passing acquaintance for 7-8 years and I've only been on a "doom phase" for the last two.

That's the way I usually conquer new areas of music in general, really. I may know and dig something for a long time, and then I go on an excited spree to listen and learn about every artist in the style I can get my hands on. Later I calm down to stick with the best gems of the genre and follow news with moderation. I'm like a swarm of locusts, my listening consists of phases and sprees. (That's not to say I forget about older favorites as I move on, it just means I jump with force at whatever I'm excited about.) Years of meticulous, disciplined training to get initiated into the mysteries of a genre sounds pretty contrary to my preferences.
08.03.2011 - 17:50
Saturno

I understand that this simple metalstorm is people listening only several doom albums to get some idea .So this place is your park to play together ,with just mentioning the bands names you think you know something about them or try to make somebody believe this.I saw this here is a simple place,that I cant stay anymore.o Im happy that I didnt post thousands messages here.
08.03.2011 - 17:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Saturno on 08.03.2011 at 17:50

I understand that this simple metalstorm is people listening only several doom albums to get some idea .So this place is your park to play together ,with just mentioning the bands names you think you know something about them or try to make somebody believe this.I saw this here is a simple place,that I cant stay anymore.o Im happy that I didnt post thousands messages here.

what the hell are you on about?
you sound like a hurt Swallow the Sun fanboy. All Mr Doctor, IronAngel and I said that StS is actually way easy and not hard music at all.
And since you seem to think of yourself as superior in the field of doom plpease enlighten us to what you think the "basic" essential doom albums are for people who are not familiar with doom at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.03.2011 - 18:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Wow... If he gets all upset because I called My Dying Bride Vanilla and boring then I don't know what to say... really.
You also have the nerve to judge an entire forum and you haven't beeen here for a month, big words fella. If you actually cared to know the people before judging them, you would know that I enjoy everything MDB has done right until "A Line Of Deathless Kings", an album very meh and quite emotionless imo. With their latest being even worse on that aspect. If you cared to read more carefully then you would have see that I meant their latest two cds.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 18:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I agree that Swallow the Sun is easy to get into. It doesn't require as much effort to listen to their albums as say Shape of Despair, which isn't exactly too difficult either when compared to other acts.

They are more accessible and there's nothing wrong with that, it shouldn't be a bad word. Dream Theater are accessible and they are still good.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
08.03.2011 - 18:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BloodTears on 08.03.2011 at 18:11

They are more accessible and there's nothing wrong with that, it shouldn't be a bad word. Dream Theater are accessible and they are still good.

Exactly... If accessible is a bad word... Then we can't even beging to post about heavy metal
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 18:19
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Fyi Marcel's list aren't all the doom bands he knows of (he's not B.E. ffs)... those are just the ones that have crashed at his apartment while on tour.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.03.2011 - 18:21
Saturno

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2011 at 18:09

Wow... If he gets all upset because I called My Dying Bride Vanilla and boring then I don't know what to say... really.
You also have the nerve to judge an entire forum and you haven't beeen here for a month, big words fella. If you actually cared to know the people before judging them, you would know that I enjoy everything MDB has done right until "A Line Of Deathless Kings", an album very meh and quite emotionless imo. With their latest being even worse on that aspect. If you cared to read more carefully then you would have see that I meant their latest two cds.

Look at the votes of MDB albums given by the metalstorm fans.İts bullshit! According to the votes " For lies I sire" or alodk is much more better than "34.788 % complete" and the votes puts 34.788% complete to the last place,meaning the worse album.That album is one of the best works of them that the people like you cant understand an experimental great work! This shows that metalstorm doom listeners dont have much to do with doom .Sorry take care then! And go to lick vanillia ice cream together with the others...
08.03.2011 - 18:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Saturno on 08.03.2011 at 18:21

the people like you cant understand an experimental great work! This shows that metalstorm doom listeners dont have much to do with doom

Wooow, nice one dude... You really don't know what you are talking about. First, tell me when I said that "34.788%... Complete" is a bad album, I actually like that album a lot and my favorite song from that album is actually the less metal one, Heroin chick since I enjoy a lot of trip-hop myself. Both reviews from that album are positive as well, and I know quite a few others that also see that album as great, not representative of the style but still very good experimentation.

Now.... You get completely hurt about a RATING (this is the funny part actually) nad I' very sure you haven't even read most of the doom reviews here, specially the more extreme side of doom. Please, do your homework before talking out of your behind.

Also, you haven't even given an opinion about the topic question so how much can we see about your opinion of the classic doom albums?
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 18:34
Saturno

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.03.2011 at 10:50

I could list here hundreds of doom bands that are really hard to get into ,because of their ıııyyk music ! The subject is not to be hard or not,it s about the beautness of the music ! Dig that in your brain cells.
08.03.2011 - 18:37
Saturno

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.03.2011 at 18:31

Written by Saturno on 08.03.2011 at 18:21

the people like you cant understand an experimental great work! This shows that metalstorm doom listeners dont have much to do with doom

Wooow, nice one dude... You really don't know what you are talking about. First, tell me when I said that "34.788%... Complete" is a bad album, I actually like that album a lot and my favorite song from that album is actually the less metal one, Heroin chick since I enjoy a lot of trip-hop myself. Both reviews from that album are positive as well, and I know quite a few others that also see that album as great, not representative of the style but still very good experimentation.

Now.... You get completely hurt about a RATING (this is the funny part actually) nad I' very sure you haven't even read most of the doom reviews here, specially the more extreme side of doom. Please, do your homework before talking out of your behind.

Also, you haven't even given an opinion about the topic question so how much can we see about your opinion of the classic doom albums?

I m into this for ten years , I dont care about its classic or flassic mlassic ,is it good ?is it worth to listen for years I care about this .I wont respect a band because its classic,but if its good then its not important if classic or not.
08.03.2011 - 18:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Saturno on 08.03.2011 at 18:34
The subject is not to be hard or not,it s about the beautness of the music ! Dig that in your brain cells.

Sorry, but it says quite clear on the thread that it is about basic doom albums... Therefore nothing completely extreme, experimental and the like... Just some regular stuff that can be representative of the genre so the one who are interested can dig more into the genre... Like for example First Candlemass albums, Cathedral or pretty much most of the traditional doom escene is very basic doom. I still don't see why you feel the need of insulting people

That was the question of this topic because the person who created this thread wanted to know... Some of us were just answering.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.03.2011 - 18:57
Saturno

Ok accepting that I behaved a little angry and insulting ,thats because your respectless behaviour! Have fun...