Metal Storm logo
Non-metal bands you like

Original post

Posted by Gurth Bennas, 25.01.2011 - 12:48
Write here non-metal bands that you like, from every genres like: Rap, Classical,Pop, etc.
10.05.2012 - 22:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by AnGina-- on 10.05.2012 at 21:29

One of my fave pop bands is Duran Duran. I'm a huge fan of their 80s stuff as their current work, I have no idea why, I just think they're so coooooool! Can't wait to go see them live this year, yea, Duran Duran ROCKS! I have all their albums, so yea, I'm rad about them! Go DD!

I know a certain Doc who would disagree.

As for me, when ever they play on the radio my heart spins in a circular motion.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.05.2012 - 22:44
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.05.2012 at 22:14

I know a certain Doc who would disagree.

As for me, when ever they play on the radio my heart spins in a circular motion.

I'm quite sure the majority of MS forum would disagree.... But that's not my problem
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
12.05.2012 - 14:02
Slayer666

Don't know how well-known these guys are, I didn't see them mentioned anywhere, so I might as well post 'em here. Empire Hideous, American goth rock band, one of the best I've heard in this field. Currently disbanded, unfortunately. You might know the main vocalist and songwriter, Myke Hideous, from when he was touring with the Misfits in 1998 as a live replacement for Danzing/Graves. Anyhoo, some pretty great stuff, although full albums are impossible to hunt down on the Webz, so you have to make do with Myspace/Youtube.

16.06.2012 - 00:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Been really getting into La Dispute recently, a screamo/post-hardcore band from the US, thanks to a co-worker of mine recommending this song to me a few days ago:

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.06.2012 - 10:20
Uldreth

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.06.2012 at 00:18

Been really getting into La Dispute recently, a screamo/post-hardcore band from the US, thanks to a co-worker of mine recommending this song to me a few days ago:

That's niiiice, really weird lyrics though. I know what the topic is but they way they are written.

Talking about screamo, I've been into this band lately:

16.06.2012 - 23:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Uldreth on 16.06.2012 at 10:20
That's niiiice, really weird lyrics though. I know what the topic is but they way they are written.

According to my friend the album's lyrics are all stories from fans the band accumulated while on tour a year or two ago. Will check out that track you posted later by the way.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.03.2013 - 16:42
blackwreath13

When I was younger my cousin got me into Velvet Acid Christ and Skinny Puppy. Going through my ipod, non-metal artists include: Clannad, Ash Dargan, Ani Di Franco, Dr. Dre, Modest Moussorgsky and Hans Zimmer (I usually love film scores).
19.07.2013 - 00:37
Grimbeard

Currently my non metal favorites are Current 93, Skinny Puppy and Ogre's solo stuff Neofolk, industrial and ambient are my favorite non metal genres.
27.07.2013 - 11:21
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Haha, I listen to almost anything from Ke$ha to Gwen Stefani, or some punk/hardcore and even electronica. I love Deathrock, Screamo/post-hardcore, gothic rock, etc etc...
28.07.2013 - 00:10
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I started listening to Paatos a while ago, since I saw Akerfeldt wearing a shirt of them. Only recently I realized how amazing they are, and that their album Breathing is probably one of my favorites albums ever.
29.07.2013 - 03:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Iiiiiiiick, La Dispute are godawful.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.07.2013 - 10:15
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Portishead
29.07.2013 - 19:26
Uldreth

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.07.2013 at 03:23

Srly?
29.07.2013 - 19:50
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Uldreth on 29.07.2013 at 19:26

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.07.2013 at 03:23

Srly?

Absolutely. I cannot stand them. Whiney spoken word over really mediocre post-hardcore instrumentals. Definitely not my thing at all. My sister is a huge fan though.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.07.2013 - 19:57
Uldreth

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.07.2013 at 19:50

Absolutely. I cannot stand them. Whiney spoken word over really mediocre post-hardcore instrumentals. Definitely not my thing at all. My sister is a huge fan though.

Just a bit surprised cause you seemed to like actual screamo and I'd say this along with Defeater and Pianos Become The Teeth (and maybe Barrow) are the ones who are the genre's current torchbearers.
30.07.2013 - 04:06
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Uldreth on 29.07.2013 at 19:57

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.07.2013 at 19:50

Just a bit surprised cause you seemed to like actual screamo and I'd say this along with Defeater and Pianos Become The Teeth (and maybe Barrow) are the ones who are the genre's current torchbearers.

Barrow and Pianos Become The Teeth are quite good. But I can't stand La Dispute.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.07.2013 - 05:10
DyingWorld

Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Alice Cooper and Pink Floyd are my favorite non-metal bands. Other stuff I like: Alice in Chains, DLR era Van Halen, Blue Oyster Cult, Thin Lizzy, 70's Aerosmith, 1st Guns N Roses, The Doors, GG Allin, Hendrix, Tool, The Stooges, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Smashing Pumpkins (mostly for Gish/Siamese Dream), etc.

Recently, I've been getting into gothic/death rock so: Christian Death, Samhain, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Swans, and Psi Com.

Here and there, I'll throw in some classical, horror soundtrack music and anything else I like.
06.12.2013 - 23:56
Ancient Dreams

I like absolutely loads of non-metal stuff (I would say metal only takes up about 60% of my music collection). Here's a couple of my current favourites. I appreciate they won't be to everyone's taste.

The glorious Shelley Hirsch, I have no idea what genre you would call it. But one of the best things I have ever heard outside of metal. Absolutely love her work.

Jamie Saft Trio featuring Mike Patton of Faith No More fame. Covering a Bob Dylan song, one of the few instances where I much prefer the cover to the original. I think this brings out the feelings of the song so much better.

Katzenjammer, from their first album 'Le Pop'
07.12.2013 - 01:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Katzenjammer is actually pretty good. I'm gonna dl it =P
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.12.2013 - 13:13
Ancient Dreams

I only found them by pure chance, definitely recommend their first album though. Second one wasn't quite as upbeat.
07.12.2013 - 21:00
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
There's tons of non-metal bands/artists that I like, but since there's too many to count, I'll just name the top ten ones according to my LastFM plays:

1. Depeche Mode
2. Ulver (Most of their stuff really isn't metal, and I like their electronic stuff more anyway)
3. Seal
4. The Alan Parsons Project
5. Genesis
6. Red House Painters
7. The Smiths
8. Tears For Fears
9. The Cure
10. Yes
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
08.12.2013 - 16:05
IronAngel

Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.12.2013 at 21:00

There's tons of non-metal bands/artists that I like, but since there's too many to count, I'll just name the top ten ones according to my LastFM plays:

1. Depeche Mode
2. Ulver (Most of their stuff really isn't metal, and I like their electronic stuff more anyway)
3. Seal
5. Genesis
6. Red House Painters
7. The Smiths
8. Tears For Fears
9. The Cure
10. Yes

Haha. It's surprising to see someone who digs awesome bands like Red House Painters and the Cure rank nonetheless listen to Seal more. Whatever floats your boat, though!
08.12.2013 - 18:53
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by IronAngel on 08.12.2013 at 16:05

Written by CobiWan1993 on 07.12.2013 at 21:00

1. Depeche Mode
3. Seal
5. Genesis
6. Red House Painters
7. The Smiths
8. Tears For Fears
9. The Cure
10. Yes

Haha. It's surprising to see someone who digs awesome bands like Red House Painters and the Cure rank nonetheless listen to Seal more. Whatever floats your boat, though!

I only recently got into the Red House Painters earlier this year (and they're quickly becoming one of my favorite bands period), while Seal I've known about for about 5 years if not more (I only enjoy his first four albums, the rest after that are simply meh). I have a feeling Red House Painters will probably catch up and exceed Seal pretty soon. I also only have a few Cure albums, but once I get more, they should also start racking up more hits.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.12.2013 - 20:21
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've recently started listening to Fejd, a swedish folk band with great atmosphere. Although I guess many fans of northern folk metal would appreciate them. It's basically the same as, say, acoustic Månegarm and stuff like that.
----
14.04.2014 - 05:59
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by deadone on 14.04.2014 at 05:24

So Nickelback =/= Metal because metalheads hate them?

Yet The Doors = Metal cause metalheads like them?

Bizarre...but them's the breaks. Still better than the wankers at Metal Archives who for years refused to let Soulfly on there even after they stopped playing Nu Metal and went to Groove Metal.

I still have a right to be amazed that Nickelback isn't on here.

As for that assumption, it's true. Look at this entry: Steve Wilson http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=3930Wilson.

And hell Porcupine Tree isn't that metal either, let alone his solo stuff. But being buddies with old Mikie Akerfledt means Steve is full kvlt metal.

You're missing the key point here which is members of those bands all have heavy ties to metal. The Doors are highly influential as well. There's no way Nickelback is metal, nor anywhere near it. QOTSA (as mentioned earlier) have been listed as similar to artists which are metal (Barn Burner for example.) I don't think many metal bands take influence from Nickelback.

Troy linked the FAQ earlier, which goes more in depth, in case you still aren't convinced.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.04.2014 - 16:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Why do people act with disbelief at site inconsistency as though as every site works as a hive mind? It doesn't. It's run by a number of people, many of whom are no longer active and have been replaced by others. Bands get added, others don't and no one has the time, nor inclination, to scour the site on a regular basis to cleanse it and make it uniform. Ultimately it doesn't matter if a few oddities get through as it makes the site more colourful and interesting. Nickleback though has never been metal; it's your standard post-grunge thing with a little hard rock mixed in (and quite good at it too on early records) but there's been a consistent ethos on the site not to feature non-metal influenced grunge (ala Nirvana and Pearl Jam) whilst allowing some grunge that has a metal element (such as Soundgarden and Alice in Chains). QotSA, on their first album at least, is vaguely cut from the same stoner rock style that Kyuss originally did which is probably why it's on the site. It's as simple as that. This measure of "heaviness" as metal is one of the most clumsy ways to view the what is / isn't metal there ever was. People that do, in my opinion, have a poor grasp of metal's scope and lack any real instinct on the matter.

Staff add bands which they feel would contribute to the overall tone, factual and aesthetic elements of the site. Seeing as Nickleback have never been metal, nor have had any significant relation to metal (as far as I know) it has been deemed inappropriate for the site, whereas QotSA have had both a stylistic relation to, and members of, Kyuss; the band that basically invented stoner metal. I don't see how anyone could find "amazement" as these simple facts.
21.04.2014 - 22:09
moonflash

I'm a slave for anything Thom Yorke puts out. O_o

----
[http://atthematinee.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/voyagedans.jpg]
06.06.2014 - 14:56
God of shadows

I as well listen to a few non-metal bands.

Nox Arcana is one of my favourite of them non-metals, very good dark ambient and releases albums yearly, not lacking in quality, which is a big plus.

AFI is another of my favourite non-metal bands, and have a strong nostalgic "thing" for them. I enjoy all of their latest, more "popular" albums, beginning from Sing The Sorrow.

Recently began to enjoy a few OST, such as the one from Asura's Wrath, Hyouka intro and a few others.

Even if it was a long time ago, I do still enjoy the album Don't You Fake It by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, but nothing more than that.

If you count them only as rock, then I would add The Birthday Massacre. As I've seen they're on here, I guess I don't need to say so much more.

Was recently introduced to Mindless Self Indulgence, and I do quite enjoy some of their songs.

And I do like some ambient artists/bands, though the only name I can remember is Steven Kalan: http://stevenkalan.bandcamp.com/album/demo

I think that was all of them.
----
"Everything will be ok
I'll just sit down and watch some bullshit"
-Acrania
25.06.2014 - 18:34
Ganondox

I probably like as many non-metal as metal bands, really depends on how conservatively you define metal. As for specific bands/artists, it includes They Might Be Giants, Jonathan Colton, David Bowie, AccousticBrony, Soundheim, Weird Al, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Journey, Queen, Bad Religion, The Offspring, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Ovlov, and Nine Inch Nails.
18.07.2014 - 16:14
Infernal Eternal

The Ramones, ZZ Top, Dead Kennedys, Kraftwerk, Gang Green...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter