Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2010 - Voting Open!!!

Dear Metalstormers,

The 2010 Metalstorm Awards are here!

Throughout the year, a dedicated team at the Metal Storm HQ donates countless hours making the definitive list of all the worthwhile albums in every possible metal subgenre released throughout the year. In January, amidst heated arguments, we prune this list to an exclusive grouping of what we believe to be truly the best and most influential albums released. Our team also spends insane amounts of time preparing descriptions and making sure each and every nominee's music is easy to access and listen to.

This year, we're introducing the new Clandestine Cut Of The Year category. We're very excited to be promoting some of these fresh and hungry artists based on their excellent demos and EPs. Please take some time to check out this section.

Please don't ignore all this effort - check out all nominees before voting. Please vote for the best, not for the most well-known! You can cast your votes HERE. Voting will be open all month; winners will be announced March 1st.

Finally, don't forget to tell all of your friends to register at Metal Storm and help make these awards the most luxurious and definitive metal awards out there! Please feel free to post links to the awards on your blogs, twitter pages and social networks.

And most importantly - don't forget to have fun! 2010 was a year rich in awesome releases, here is your chance to discover some of them!

The Metal Storm Awards 2010 Team

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.02.2011 by jupitreas

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 98   [ 5 ignored ]   Visited by: 1033 users
01.02.2011 - 23:07
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BitterCOld on 01.02.2011 at 21:13

and this off-topic is done. this is about the MSAs. you can keep on bitching in another thread if you want. find somewhere appropriate.

on the other hand, it seems that you staffers sometimes like more than us the "bitching" so thats why you've created -or allow- certain places/topics for the members to bitch with each other...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.02.2011 - 23:11
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:04

in the begining it seemed that you had right but now you lost it. Doc Godin is the guy i think you are mentioning at. he has almost 500 votes and only 4 of the rating "1". it is logicall and not vote abusing -also he hasn't listened-voted to anything else of this band after this album. dont lose your sense mate....

That's interesting. I only have one 1 vote and it went to Bakteria's album, the title of which was something along the lines of: Deffecate! Mutilate! Suffocate! Masturbate! Why? Because it's shit. It's designed to be shit and not a shitbit of effort went into it. OTOH, I couldn't care less for Iron Maiden, but I am not going to give them a 1 and deny their hard work and great musicianship just because they bore me to tears.
01.02.2011 - 23:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.02.2011 at 21:52

@Ernil, how does, me, saying that some people get a hard on at the mere mention of the name arjen, a.k.a. Iron Anthony, Lucassen constitute to vote abuse?

That was actually my example of a staff member bitching, not an example of vote abuse.

Quote:

Did you check my votes? And also how is it power abuse? do you actually think I have that much power that people will believe what I saywithout checking for themselves?

I never spoke of power abuse, the other guy did. I spoke of vote abuse and bitching. Your comment was an example of the latter.

Quote:

This is a music zine with forum where also ALL members of satff have their own preferences and dislikes and of course vent all of those, just like all other users.

No one - be it staff member or regular member - has the right to insult fans of a type of music instead of insulting the music itself the way you did. I don't suffer this kind of behaviour and I don't apologize for not suffering it.
01.02.2011 - 23:18
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 23:11

Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:04

in the begining it seemed that you had right but now you lost it. Doc Godin is the guy i think you are mentioning at. he has almost 500 votes and only 4 of the rating "1". it is logicall and not vote abusing -also he hasn't listened-voted to anything else of this band after this album. dont lose your sense mate....

That's interesting. I only have one 1 vote and it went to Bakteria's album, the title of which was something along the lines of: Deffecate! Mutilate! Suffocate! Masturbate! Why? Because it's shit. It's designed to be shit and not a shitbit of effort went into it. OTOH, I couldn't care less for Iron Maiden, but I am not going to give them a 1 and deny their hard work and great musicianship just because they bore me to tears.

you have 81 votes and already gave an "1". i have 290 votes and NO rating of 1, 2 or 3... do you know why mate? cause i truly believe that to create an album that deserves to be rated with "1" you should have a completely untalented musician, who also didnt "want" to write this album (lets say that he was forced at the moment from the label), with an awful production, and ONLY awful songs. it's almost impossible but surely there are some albums that meet those criteria.

so after saying all these i find it a bit "wrong" (for me at least) that some people rate easily albums with "1". so i dont agree with dic godin but also dont agree with you mate...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
01.02.2011 - 23:22
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:18

you have 81 votes and already gave an "1". i have 290 votes and NO rating of 1, 2 or 3... do you know why mate? cause i truly believe that to create an album that deserves to be rated with "1" you should have a completely untalented musician, who also didnt "want" to write this album (lets say that he was forced at the moment from the label), with an awful production, and ONLY awful songs. it's almost impossible but surely there are some albums that meet those criteria.

so after saying all these i find it a bit "wrong" (for me at least) that some people rate easily albums with "1". so i dont agree with dic godin but also dont agree with you mate...

Check out the album that got a 1 vote from me. Then get back to me and say I should have given it a higher rating. Seriously, I want to see you do that.

EDIT: here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jXqVznhtw
01.02.2011 - 23:29
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 23:22

Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:18

it's almost impossible but surely there are some albums that meet those criteria.

Check out the album that got a 1 vote from me. Then get back to me and say I should have given it a higher rating. Seriously, I want to see you do that.

EDIT: here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10jXqVznhtw

i cannot listen to this album at the moment. i'll be able to do it in the next week. but as you see i never said NO album deserves a "1". also i was going to listen to "st anger" in the next weeks and i am really curious to see how i'll rate it cause i think it may be my lowest to date rating! -i've listened to it in the past but never completely- hahaha!
----
01.02.2011 - 23:33
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:29

i cannot listen to this album at the moment. i'll be able to do it in the next week. but as you see i never said NO album deserves a "1". also i was going to listen to "st anger" in the next weeks and i am really curious to see how i'll rate it cause i think it may be my lowest to date rating! -i've listened to it in the past but never completely- hahaha!

It's ok if you cannot listen to it, you might need to use your ears in the future. You can take my word for it (or Baz Anderson's who for some weird reason actually bothered to write a review), this is an album that deserves -10 points. Here's quote from their album's title track: Bury your baby sister in an elephant's rectum.

They must have lost a bet or something to make this album.
01.02.2011 - 23:39
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 23:33

Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:29

It's ok if you cannot listen to it, you might need to use your ears in the future. You can take my word for it (or Baz Anderson's who for some weird reason actually bothered to write a review), this is an album that deserves -10 points. Here's quote from their album's title track: Bury your baby sister in an elephant's rectum.

They must have lost a bet or something to make this album.

probably they prefer to be something like a joke band. generally there are many stupid assholes out there and i believe you that this would be pure shit! in the first chance i'll listen in youtube a song and tell you how i find it!!!
----
02.02.2011 - 00:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 23:33

(or Baz Anderson's who for some weird reason actually bothered to write a review)

The reason is pretty simple... He's from the staff and therefore he gets albums by different labels to review. That is all.

Even thought I found it to be crap to the max, I don't believe in the rating 1 like deadmeat... But I also will never rate an album a 10.
Because I don't believe in perfection, music... art... will never be perfect. I take that word very seriously, perfection doesn't exist. If an album was perfect then I wouldn't listen to other music at all, then it means that everybody in the whole world will love that album (which is impossible obviously).
Those are my views.... So: People rating 1 is as laughable as people rating an album 10.

I also think you're making a storm in a glass of water... You can't prove that someone rate an album 1 just because they want to lower the rating. The staff has never said "hey, we're totally immune and can do whatever I want".

Also... damn, we're in the internet FFS, of course there will be people saying stuff like "hard-on" and shit,... But if that really bothers you.... Then I don't know how you visit the internet everyday without being crazy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2011 - 00:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Deadmeat on 01.02.2011 at 23:07

Written by BitterCOld on 01.02.2011 at 21:13

and this off-topic is done. this is about the MSAs. you can keep on bitching in another thread if you want. find somewhere appropriate.

on the other hand, it seems that you staffers sometimes like more than us the "bitching" so thats why you've created -or allow- certain places/topics for the members to bitch with each other...

i have never denied being amused by it. most of us consider it the payoff for the countless hours this process takes. folks have a right to voice their opinion, and if they happen to do so in meltdown fashion, so much more the entertaining. if they start throwing f-bombs, or something, we'll jump in and hand out time in the penalty box.

as for me an Ayreon - as you mentioned in another post. might be a talented musician, but made music i found utterly boring. scored it a six long ago, and it's sat there. prior to this discussion, i've not even discussed him... there are many bands i won't hesitate to mock. him? i just am so ambivalent to his music, i wouldn't bother.

now let's keep this on target before i break out the demolition hammer and just start deleting useless posts.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
02.02.2011 - 00:18
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2011 at 00:03

The reason is pretty simple... He's from the staff and therefore he gets albums by different labels to review. That is all.

Oh...right. I knew that!

Quote:

Even thought I found it to be crap to the max, I don't believe in the rating 1 like deadmeat... But I also will never rate an album a 10.

The ratings are there to be used. If everybody refused to use 1 and 10 as a rating, then we might as well have a 2-9 scale, in which case the 2 would be the new 1 and the 9 would be the new 10. That's just silly.

Quote:

Because I don't believe in perfection, music... art... will never be perfect. I take that word very seriously, perfection doesn't exist. If an album was perfect then I wouldn't listen to other music at all, then it means that everybody in the whole world will love that album (which is impossible obviously).
Those are my views.... So: People rating 1 is as laughable as people rating an album 10.

A maximum rating doesn't mean that a work of art is perfect, it just means that it deserves the highest possible rating. Loads of reviews by staff and guest members give perfect scores, but also point out flaws.

Quote:

I also think you're making a storm in a glass of water... You can't prove that someone rate an album 1 just because they want to lower the rating.

Nope, the BitterCold guy made this into a storm, I was just pointing out the obvious - that only letting elite/staff members vote on things would not get rid of fanboyish behaviour (it was proposed by ehm...someone). And yes, I can prove that a staff member voted an album a 1 just to get it's overall rating down, because on the Opeth Damnation review he wrote that the album deserved 4/10. How else do you explain that?

Quote:

The staff has never said "hey, we're totally immune and can do whatever I want".

I don't understand how you could have gotten that from anything I wrote.

Quote:

Also... damn, we're in the internet FFS, of course there will be people saying stuff like "hard-on" and shit,... But if that really bothers you.... Then I don't know how you visit the internet everyday without being crazy.

First of all, I reject the idea that I am not crazy. Second, insulting fans by claiming that a band's popularity is the result of them being stupid/having poor taste/being blind fanboys, is something that should be completely unacceptable on Metalstorm. I will not apologize for taking this position.
02.02.2011 - 00:35
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
No drama? In my opinion Mike Portnoy was the drama last year. End of story.
02.02.2011 - 00:40
Kamil
Account deleted
Quote:
insulting fans by claiming that a band's popularity is the result of them being stupid/having poor taste/being blind fanboys, is something that should be completely unacceptable on Metalstorm

I would agree with this if there will be some balance between critics and fans - some situations are really stupid.
There shouldn't be situation when hater of x band = positive and defender of x band = negative. We all at least should make some acceptable balance.

BTW. Maybe MS should change forum formula into something more traditional and separated from the main page, with rules and moderators?
02.02.2011 - 01:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Apparently we have our drama of 2011 already... Jeeze there's a lot of negativity floating around here.

Written by Vivi' on 01.02.2011 at 10:49

Grave's new album wasn't present in the DM album section? Really?

I liked their latest quite a bit. I don't know if I'd nominate it over any of the DM albums we agreed on, but it's far from a bad release.

Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 11:52

Aeon - Path Of Fire, deserve to be in the Death poll.

I liked their previous albums better - this one didn't really stray from the path of their style, but maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much. Regardless, it's a good enough album worth mentioning; I don't know many who'd consider it "top 10" worthy.

Written by Guest on 01.02.2011 at 19:42

The problem with this is that staff/elite members abuse the voting system too. Most of them don't, but some of them are just as whiny and bitchy about bands they think are overrated than your average fanboy.

Simply laughable.

Everyone reserves the right to laugh at whatever band they want and for whatever reason - the difference, for the most part, is that Staff members explain their reasons for disliking certain bands (even if that reason is merely popularity, which is a rarity).

As for vote abuse - you'll notice some Staff members don't even cast their votes, and some reviewers don't even score albums.

That's all I have to say about that - no fuel feeding the fire, rest assured. I just thought I'd let you know it's not as bad a "dictatorship" as you make it out to be.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.02.2011 - 09:22
JCJen7
^^To stray away from the mind numbingly stupid debate raging above^

Is anyone else finding it hard to cast their Hard Rock vote? I mean, there is really nothing worthy this year. Scorpions or Ratt I have narrowed it down to.

I can't believe Airbourne or Black Country Communion got nominated, their music is carbon copies of 70's bands work.

Danko Jones was decent, pretty stupid cock rock though, and barely entertains me through the first listen, and Negative i thought would get the vote for me, but after listening to the album 3 or so times, I can't really stand it anymore.

I never got the chance to check out Human Temple's album, does anyone here know if I should bother, and if it could possibly sway my vote?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
02.02.2011 - 09:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 02.02.2011 at 09:22

Is anyone else finding it hard to cast their Hard Rock vote? I mean, there is really nothing worthy this year. Scorpions or Ratt I have narrowed it down to.

I can't believe Airbourne or Black Country Communion got nominated, their music is carbon copies of 70's bands work.

Danko Jones was decent, pretty stupid cock rock though, and barely entertains me through the first listen, and Negative i thought would get the vote for me, but after listening to the album 3 or so times, I can't really stand it anymore.

I never got the chance to check out Human Temple's album, does anyone here know if I should bother, and if it could possibly sway my vote?

Black Country Communion though firmly rooted in the 70s and 80s blows the competition right out of the water. By far the best hard rock album released this year, if you ask me. Damn the musicianship is the best there is with Hughes brilliant vocals Bonham's great drumming and Bonamassa's superb guitar work.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2011 - 09:29
JCJen7
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2011 at 09:25

Written by JCJen7 on 02.02.2011 at 09:22

Black Country Communion though firmly rooted in the 70s and 80s blows the competition right out of the water. By far the best hard rock album released this year, if you ask me. Damn the musicianship is the best there is with Hughes brilliant vocals Bonham's great drumming and Bonamassa's superb guitar work.

I wish I agreed with you. I don't like having to decide between a 30 year old band on their deep downswing, or a 40+ year old band 's retirement album, but for me, it's what it has come down to. Not sure why I can't get in to the Black Country Communion album, maybe I just listened the fuck out of all my Zeppelin and Deep Purple albums, that I don't wanna hear it anymore, not sure haha.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
02.02.2011 - 09:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by JCJen7 on 02.02.2011 at 09:29

I wish I agreed with you. I don't like having to decide between a 30 year old band on their deep downswing, or a 40+ year old band 's retirement album, but for me, it's what it has come down to. Not sure why I can't get in to the Black Country Communion album, maybe I just listened the fuck out of all my Zeppelin and Deep Purple albums, that I don't wanna hear it anymore, not sure haha.

BCC sounds nothing like Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin, and to be honest I can't really see a connection with Led Zep. The only connection is that BCC has John Bonham's son on drums. And Jason only drummed with Led Zep a couple of years back at a one-off gig.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2011 - 10:12
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 02.02.2011 at 01:18

Simply laughable.

Everyone reserves the right to laugh at whatever band they want and for whatever reason - the difference, for the most part, is that Staff members explain their reasons for disliking certain bands (even if that reason is merely popularity, which is a rarity).

As for vote abuse - you'll notice some Staff members don't even cast their votes, and some reviewers don't even score albums.

That's all I have to say about that - no fuel feeding the fire, rest assured. I just thought I'd let you know it's not as bad a "dictatorship" as you make it out to be.

Your comment contains zero amount of anything I actually said. Before you respond to a comment, go backtrack to the beginning of the conversation and maybe the next time your comment will actually stand a chance of making some sense.

On the MS awards: I am surprised that Kamelot hasn't received tons of votes in the biggest disappointment category.
02.02.2011 - 10:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Guest on 02.02.2011 at 10:12

On the MS awards: I am surprised that Kamelot hasn't received tons of votes in the biggest disappointment category.

How do you know that not many people has voted for that? If more than one person votes for an album in the write-in it won't show two votes, just one nominee unless this two persons wrote the name of the album/band in a different way
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.02.2011 - 10:56
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.02.2011 at 10:18

How do you know that not many people has voted for that? If more than one person votes for an album in the write-in it won't show two votes, just one nominee unless this two persons wrote the name of the album/band in a different way

Oh...OH....OOOHHHH!

Can't read my, can't read my, no he can't read my negative votes on Kamelooooooot. (I've got to love no shitty albums) Can't ready my, can't read my...
02.02.2011 - 11:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

Actually it has.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2011 - 11:25
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2011 at 11:17

Actually it has.

You just made my day. Durr-hey!
02.02.2011 - 13:05
Kamil
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2011 at 11:17

Actually it has.

I remember, that 'Ghost Opera' haven't made an impression on me, but 2 years later I was listening this stuff with pleasure. Maybe with 'Poetry For The Poisoned' it's the same situation?
Their stuff in general isn't easy to listen.

Btw. could we know some potential leaders of ranks? I am curious especially about thrash stuff - it's really impressive in 2010. Maybe the most impressive during last years.
02.02.2011 - 18:48
Its going to be very difficult to cast my vote in the Avant-garde/Postmetal section, there are very good releases this year.
Does anyone find it strange that ihsahn and solefald aren't there? and borknagar in the viking section?
02.02.2011 - 19:26
IronAngel
Argh. I feel bad for voting Anathema and Enslaved, because both categories and especially the BM one had such great competition. Agrypnie, The Meads of Asphodel, Imicus etc. all deserve more attention, they just fall a little short of these big names. Oh well, better start tracking down candidates in the other categories. I'm going to discover so many new albums here.
03.02.2011 - 01:19
Daydream Nation
Account deleted
Thanks for doing such a great job in setting up these Metal Awards! I have some listening to do! That being said...here's a suggestion for next year from me personally. Would you mind making two categories for avant-garde and post-metal? I could have voted for Rosetta or Alcest or TONS of other awesome avant-garde and post metal stuff...but of course I had to go with Shining. Man...Rosetta had one of the best albums of the year and it's a shame I can't vote for it. It deserves as much praise on the metal sites as possible, and I think there's honestly enough albums for two categories.
As well...I would have recommended putting Periphery on the list for the best debut album. It's stellar. (Minor quibble, though...very few seem to have voted for it on MS)

And to those dissing the MS members: Shut up. They take time to run this site, they have their own tastes and preferences and I do see lots of discretion in voting. Not all albums deserve tens...and I've had my fair share of albums that I like, but nobody else seems to enjoy. You just have to live with it. And if you don't like it, by all means go. Nobody gives a FUCK.
03.02.2011 - 02:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.02.2011 at 01:19

Thanks for doing such a great job in setting up these Metal Awards! I have some listening to do! That being said...here's a suggestion for next year from me personally. Would you mind making two categories for avant-garde and post-metal? I could have voted for Rosetta or Alcest or TONS of other awesome avant-garde and post metal stuff...but of course I had to go with Shining. Man...Rosetta had one of the best albums of the year and it's a shame I can't vote for it. It deserves as much praise on the metal sites as possible, and I think there's honestly enough albums for two categories.
As well...I would have recommended putting Periphery on the list for the best debut album. It's stellar. (Minor quibble, though...very few seem to have voted for it on MS)

Next time you might want to bring up your favs of the year in this thread. Well, obviously not this one, but the one we'll have for 2011. Some bands like Grey Waters or Vasalaeth would've also passed under our radar if it wasn't for the feedback of the users

As for the categories: there are several categories we would've loved to see as well, but in some years there have just not been enough releases we've considered worthy. The Metal Storm Awards 2009 haven't seen an industrial metal category for example. But with the most recent developments in metal, we might have a post-metal, an avantgarde metal AND a 'shoegaze metal' category next year. I personally wouldn't mind to see that. But of course that depends on the quality of the releases in each category. And just in case we miss some quality ones, feel free to post them in the suggestions thread. That's what it's there for after all
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
03.02.2011 - 04:13
JCJen7
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.02.2011 at 09:38

Written by JCJen7 on 02.02.2011 at 09:29

BCC sounds nothing like Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin, and to be honest I can't really see a connection with Led Zep. The only connection is that BCC has John Bonham's son on drums. And Jason only drummed with Led Zep a couple of years back at a one-off gig.

Is it tough having the only opinion that matters
----

CHECK THESE OUT
03.02.2011 - 08:57
Jon
There's a really easy way to weed out thoughtless voting. Before you can vote, you take a short survey. It might go something like this.

"1. Do you have a habit of claiming each album by your favourite band is their best yet? Possibly writing a tedious review on metal-archives.com with the header "Their best yet?".

2. Do you have a habit of viciously attacking bands you haven't heard much music from as sellouts in an effort to seem trve?

3. Do you listen to metal predominantly from the '00s due to an obsession with overly loud and digitalised production values?

If you answered yes to 1 or 2 of these questions, we are afraid you will not be allowed to participate in voting.

If you answered yes to all 3, we are sorry to inform you that your account on metalstorm.net has been permanently banned. Your home address details have been forwarded to Kerry King, who will be around shortly to eat you while Fenriz and Cronos look on and laugh."
----
A mythology is a religion different enough from your own for it's absurdity to be obvious.

Hits total: 9810 | This month: 16