10. How To Build A Time Machine [bonus]
11. Sleepwritten [bonus]

Top 20 albums of 2007: 3

Additional info
Remastered by James Plotkin in 2018.

Staff review by
Lucas
Rating:
This review is dedicated to the late K. Angylus, mastermind of The Angelic Process and husband of M. Dragynfly, may he rest in peace.

Overwhelming. That is what this The Angelic Process are. Nothing more, nothing less. Almost everything around this band is completely oblivious to me: why I even bought it in the first place, how long they have been around, where they are from. And frankly, I don't even care. My usual unsatisfiable hunger for information has been laid to rest for a while, at least until that which is Weighing Souls With Sand is fully digested.

Read more ››
published 26.11.2007 | Comments (26)

This week we commemorate the passing of The Angelic Process mastermind K. Angylus, who died two years ago. As a tribute, this staff pick is dedicated to one of the most phenomenal albums ever recorded. Weighing Souls With Sand is nothing short of a masterpiece. Period.

Thryce's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Lucas, Marcel Hubregtse, Deadsoulman, Troy Killjoy, X-Ray Rod, Ag Fox, Account deleted, RaduP

Found in 31 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 65   Visited by: 654 users
24.10.2012 - 12:04
Rating: 9
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Never heard anything like this. The atmosphere is phenomenal.
24.10.2012 - 21:23
Rating: 8
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
Written by CyberSymphony on 24.10.2012 at 12:04

Never heard anything like this. The atmosphere is phenomenal.

Knowing the whole story about what happened to the band sends shivers down my spine when I listened to this.
----
rekt
09.01.2013 - 20:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Slayer rip-off band:

09.01.2013 - 21:01
IronAngel
The Angelic Process reached back and forth through time and Slayer ripped them off, to be honest.

Listened to this album three times this week. Can't get bored.
13.01.2013 - 14:09
Erik M.
What is going on here? I'm not going to rate this because I didn't like it at all when I heard it. This overly distorted music is almost unlistenable for me.
14.01.2013 - 22:42
Rating: 10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Erik M. on 13.01.2013 at 14:09

What is going on here? I'm not going to rate this because I didn't like it at all when I heard it. This overly distorted music is almost unlistenable for me.

I know but give some more time and be patient and I assure you'll get rewarded.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
14.01.2013 - 22:45
Erik M.
Written by InnerSelf on 14.01.2013 at 22:42

I know but give some more time and be patient and I assure you'll get rewarded.

I'm not sure if I ever want to listen to this again. I might give it a second chance to see if I like it more than the first time.
14.01.2013 - 23:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Erik M. on 14.01.2013 at 22:45
I might give it a second chance to see if I like it more than the first time.

Check out the previous one, Coma Waering. It's easier on the ears.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
08.05.2013 - 08:50
mz
Might end up in my top 20 albums, I especially liked the vocals during the higher notes.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
26.12.2013 - 05:17
Lit.
Account deleted
I chose this album to christen my new iPod classic/Monster DNA headphone pair. First time I ever listened to anything by the band.

I chose wisely.
27.12.2013 - 01:17
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 26.12.2013 at 05:17

I chose wisely.

Very good choice
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.05.2014 - 03:50
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
This is one of the four albums that has ever made me cry. That alone warrants a 10, but the pure innovation, emotion, musicianship, and production mastery poured into this quite literally necessitates it. Among my five favorite albums of all time, and really the best thing to listen to when in a state of emotional distress. Every time I listen to this I am stunned
27.02.2015 - 03:24
mz
I am going to upvote a few of my 9s and this is the 1st one. Get it tAP. You deserve it.
----
29.04.2015 - 00:43
Zap
Written by Alex F on 02.05.2014 at 03:50

This is one of the four albums that has ever made me cry.

Just curious, what are the other ones?
29.04.2015 - 01:07
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Zap on 29.04.2015 at 00:43

Written by Alex F on 02.05.2014 at 03:50

This is one of the four albums that has ever made me cry.

Just curious, what are the other ones?

Why do I keep track of this shit, but here: Gris - Il Etait Une Foret, Agalloch - The Mantle, Arcana Coelestia - Le Mirage De L'Ideal. Keep in mind that was during a pretty shit point of my life, so depressive music resonated rather deeply with me.
29.04.2015 - 09:28
Zap
Written by Alex F on 29.04.2015 at 01:07

Why do I keep track of this shit, but here: Gris - Il Etait Une Foret, Agalloch - The Mantle, Arcana Coelestia - Le Mirage De L'Ideal. Keep in mind that was during a pretty shit point of my life, so depressive music resonated rather deeply with me.

That's okay, I was mostly asking to get some recommendations that might be similarly emotional to this. Sadly, I already know all of these and I don't think any of them could have the same effect on me that they had on you. They're all good albums though.
29.04.2015 - 12:47
mz
Written by Zap on 29.04.2015 at 09:28

Written by Alex F on 29.04.2015 at 01:07

That's okay, I was mostly asking to get some recommendations that might be similarly emotional to this. Sadly, I already know all of these and I don't think any of them could have the same effect on me that they had on you. They're all good albums though.

Maybe you shouldntry Seirom then. IMO the closest thing in terms of atmosphere and feeling to tAP.
----
29.04.2015 - 12:59
Zap
Written by mz on 29.04.2015 at 12:47

Maybe you shouldntry Seirom then. IMO the closest thing in terms of atmosphere and feeling to tAP.

Recently listened to almost all of Mories' stuff, Seirom doesn't even come close to this for me. The man is much better at fucked up, dark, twisted, nightmarish music. Thanks for the suggestion though, I can see the connection, it just wasn't as interesting for me.
02.05.2015 - 12:59
Paz
elite

the closest thing in terms of atmosphere and feeling to tAP.

You're talking about Nadja, bro
02.05.2015 - 13:10
mz
Written by Paz on 02.05.2015 at 12:59

the closest thing in terms of atmosphere and feeling to tAP.

You're talking about Nadja, bro

yes, except that I don't like Nadja as much as I like Seirom
----
02.05.2015 - 13:34
IronAngel

Woah, thanks for the rec. I love this shit, never heard about them before. Indeed, very close to tAP in style and feeling, though more on the ambient side and less desparate energy. I don't know why this should be compared to Mories, there's nothing dark or twisted about tAP either.

But yeah, this album. Not the greatest album ever, but it's certainly the rawest emotional experience I get from music. Every time it teases me out, plucking at my exposed nerves. Or whatever. It's not pure musical genius and mastery (it is somewhat crude), but it has such a sincere purity of vision.
02.05.2015 - 16:22
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by IronAngel on 02.05.2015 at 13:34

I don't know why this should be compared to Mories, there's nothing dark or twisted about tAP either.

Seirom?
Perhaps because Seirom is one of Mories' projects xD
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.05.2015 - 16:31
mz

Woah, thanks for the rec. I love this shit, never heard about them before. Indeed, very close to tAP in style and feeling, though more on the ambient side and less desparate energy. I don't know why this should be compared to Mories, there's nothing dark or twisted about tAP either.

But yeah, this album. Not the greatest album ever, but it's certainly the rawest emotional experience I get from music. Every time it teases me out, plucking at my exposed nerves. Or whatever. It's not pure musical genius and mastery (it is somewhat crude), but it has such a sincere purity of vision.

Cheers man. And yeah, as karlo said, seirom is a side project of Mories. He does it to cheer himself up from the regular fucked up stuff he does in his other bands. Makes him more of a genius, qnd yet another reason for us fanboys to adore him.
I went for two weeks of Seirom/tAP circle earlier this year and love them both.
----
02.05.2015 - 16:33
mz

Cheers man. And yeah, as karlo said, seirom is a side project of Mories. He does it to cheer himself up from the regular fucked up stuff he does in his other bands. Makes him more of a genius, qnd yet another reason for us fanboys to adore him.
I went for two weeks of Seirom/tAP circle earlier this year and love them both.
----
02.05.2015 - 17:22
Zap
Nadja is a much better comparison than Seirom if you ask me. Seirom is too pretty, uplifting, and boring.
02.05.2015 - 17:42
IronAngel
Ooh I see. Figures he has yet another project I don't know about. It was phrased strangely, "I am looking for something like The Angelic Process but I don't like this stuff because it isn't as dark and twisted as Mories", but it makes more sense now.

Mories I imagine listens to a lot of music. He clearly understands modern music in its various obscure forms and his genius, if we want to call it that, lies in successfully adopting whatever style he sets himself to do (with some personal spin on it, of course). I don't think Seirom would exist without tAP and Nadja. I am not sure if, for me, he's ever quite reached the peak of whatever style he does, though. Always consistently good or great, never quite brilliant.
02.05.2015 - 17:53
Zap
Written by IronAngel on 02.05.2015 at 17:42

Ooh I see. Figures he has yet another project I don't know about. It was phrased strangely, "I am looking for something like The Angelic Process but I don't like this stuff because it isn't as dark and twisted as Mories", but it makes more sense now.

I just mentioned Mories to indicate that I had listened to Seirom. The fact that I feel he's better at dark stuff was just sort of thrown in there to express that I didn't like it too much.

Also, just to be clear, I actually never intended to ask for something that sounds like The Angelic Process, just something that has a similar effect on people. But I guess that was phrased strangely as well. Hope I got all this clarified now
02.05.2015 - 17:56
mz
To be honest, I just have heard 2 nadja records, and I remember them being too much on dreamy side for my taste.
----
02.05.2015 - 20:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Some albums are dreamy... Some I would definitely not call dreamy.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.05.2015 - 21:36
IronAngel
Nadja are a bitch to tackle. I still have no idea about half their albums. But this is a pretty good place to get started for something aTP-esque and darker:

Hits total: 18356 | This month: 46