05. Domination Agenda
06. Astronomicon
07. Rise Of The Reptilian Regime
08. The Draconian Arrival
09. Alpha And Omega

Additional info
Produced and mixed by Jonas Kjellgren.
Co-produced by Per Nilsson.
Recorded at Blacklounge and Abyss Studios.
Mastered by Plec at the Panicroom.
Artwork by Colin Marks.

Staff review by
Troy Killjoy
Rating:
So this is it, Scar Symmetry's second release without Christian Älvestam. Two albums in two years makes for a great opportunity to move on from the past and make yourself known to the metal community as a force to be reckoned with regardless of who your frontman is.

Or in this case, who your frontmen are.

Anyone familiar with the band's history knows Älvestam was replaced by two vocalists - one to handle cleans, the other to handle growls. Aside from that, the music hasn't changed all that much, although they did manage to experiment slightly with Dark Matter Dimensions in terms of songwriting, much to their fans' dismay.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (71)

Found in 22 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 79   Visited by: 820 users
05.02.2011 - 11:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah, I had no idea a new Scar Symmetry album was coming so soon! :\ The last album really surprised me, as I thought they'd be washed up without Christian Alvestam. Looking forward to this one! xD
05.02.2011 - 12:18
Kamil
Account deleted
Me too.
Their last album wasn't the best one, but really nice to listen.
05.02.2011 - 14:20
Rating: 6
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.02.2011 at 11:55

Woah, I had no idea a new Scar Symmetry album was coming so soon! :\ The last album really surprised me, as I thought they'd be washed up without Christian Alvestam. Looking forward to this one! xD
me too XD
----
loves 小巫
05.02.2011 - 14:38
Mechanist
Account deleted
Man that's fast. Anyways, keeping my fingers crossed. I just hope they're not rushing into things...
05.02.2011 - 17:34
Kennoth

I didn't like the new album, maybe this one is better?
----
*insert something deep and profound*
05.02.2011 - 23:50
Rating: 10
Westvann

I really enjoyed DMD and I have big hopes for this one but after all, Scar symmetry is my #1 favorite band
09.02.2011 - 17:45
WRATH OF FENRIR

I loved you guys with Christian Alvestam but the new guys is ok too , looking forward to the new album hope its best than the last one
12.02.2011 - 08:59
Joey Filth

Written by Angelic Storm on 05.02.2011 at 11:55

Me neither! Although I felt the last album was a bit weak. I think they tried to hard to make the new vocalists sound like Christian Alvestam. But it doesn't matter. Looking forward to it too!
10.03.2011 - 06:01
Rating: 8
JÄY
Metal slave
Whew sounds damn fine
15.04.2011 - 11:15
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Will need to listen to this some more, as some songs I couldn't fully absorb on first listen. "The Anomaly" is an awesome opening song though! I'm glad that Lars isn't trying so hard to impersonate Christian this time, and letting his own personality shine through the vocals more. I still prefer Christian, but Im amazed the band are managing to still sound so great without him. xD
15.04.2011 - 11:26
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.04.2011 at 11:15

as some songs I couldn't fully absorb on first listen.

i believe that NO SONG (at least in extreme metal) can be FULLY ABSORBED from only 1 listen. even those that we think we absorbed. in order to understand something, even something that we believe we have understood we must listen to it many many times. if not, we may miss many chances to like something that we could. most times the difficult to digest happen to be the best and most beautiful albums....
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.04.2011 - 11:34
Kamil
Account deleted
I've just heard it.
Very good stuff with a lot of diversity.
Yes. This is, what I wanted.
15.04.2011 - 11:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Deadmeat on 15.04.2011 at 11:26
i believe that NO SONG (at least in extreme metal) can be FULLY ABSORBED from only 1 listen. even those that we think we absorbed. in order to understand something, even something that we believe we have understood we must listen to it many many times. if not, we may miss many chances to like something that we could. most times the difficult to digest happen to be the best and most beautiful albums....

Hehe, you are absolutely right. I simply meant some songs had more going on in them than others. Although none of the songs are that long, they very prog-like in nature, and not simple songs by any means. When Scar Symmetry lost Christian, I never thought they could be ever be a great band again, but my have they proved me wrong! That they could lose such a monumental talent, and still pull off albums of this quality is a testimony to the amazing songwriting of Jonas, Per, and Henrik. And the new singers are doing a great job, even Lars who's voice took some time to grow on me.

I loved your post, it is so right, and beautifully put.
15.04.2011 - 11:56
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.04.2011 at 11:36

Written by Deadmeat on 15.04.2011 at 11:26

Hehe, you are absolutely right. I simply meant some songs had more going on in them than others. Although none of the songs are that long, they very prog-like in nature, and not simple songs by any means. When Scar Symmetry lost Christian, I never thought they could be ever be a great band again, but my have they proved me wrong! That they could lose such a monumental talent, and still pull off albums of this quality is a testimony to the amazing songwriting of Jonas, Per, and Henrik. And the new singers are doing a great job, even Lars who's voice took some time to grow on me.

I loved your post, it is so right, and beautifully put.

btw i have listened only to one album of the band and i liked it a lot (pitch black progress). i had not time to listen to more till now. i was also quite unhappy with the members changes but quite happy that they managed to do it this time! i love 2011 cause this year throws us amazing albums! (much better than 2010...)...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.04.2011 - 11:57
Rating: 10
rasto

Perfect
15.04.2011 - 12:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Deadmeat on 15.04.2011 at 11:56
:thumbup:

btw i have listened only to one album of the band and i liked it a lot (pitch black progress). i had not time to listen to more till now. i was also quite unhappy with the members changes but quite happy that they managed to do it this time! i love 2011 cause this year throws us amazing albums! (much better than 2010...)...

Nice choice for your first Scar Symmetry album! I still think "Pitch Black Progress" is their best. All their albums are consistent though, with a lot of good material on them. When I first heard that Christian was leaving... I was upset, because I felt he was such an integral part of the band's sound. And losing someone that talented could only hurt the band. I certainly had severe doubts they could ever make another great album. I was also very sceptical when I found out they had replaced him with 2 singers. But despite all my fears, they managed to do what I didnt think was possible, and that was to still remain a vital band making great albums. I still love em'! hehe

I dunno... 2010 was pretty good for new albums, at least I thought. Overkill, Sodom, Primal Fear, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Forbidden, and Accept all released great albums last year.
15.04.2011 - 12:45
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.04.2011 at 12:25

Written by Deadmeat on 15.04.2011 at 11:56
:thumbup:

Nice choice for your first Scar Symmetry album! I still think "Pitch Black Progress" is their best. All their albums are consistent though, with a lot of good material on them. When I first heard that Christian was leaving... I was upset, because I felt he was such an integral part of the band's sound. And losing someone that talented could only hurt the band. I certainly had severe doubts they could ever make another great album. I was also very sceptical when I found out they had replaced him with 2 singers. But despite all my fears, they managed to do what I didnt think was possible, and that was to still remain a vital band making great albums. I still love em'! hehe

I dunno... 2010 was pretty good for new albums, at least I thought. Overkill, Sodom, Primal Fear, Blind Guardian, Helloween, Forbidden, and Accept all released great albums last year.

the truth is that i have not listened to a lot 2010 stuff till now. but not so many of my fav bands have relesased new albums! but at least for my tastes 2011 seems to be better: obscura (not decided yet but probably very good), vektor (it wont be less than a masterpiece), morbid angel (i hope for something good from them), septicflesh (just got it and sounds great). those for qualitative stuff. and then for enjoyable music even more: amorphis, amon amarth, anaal nathrakh, benighted (not sure if i should put it on the qualitative "section"), belakor, fleshgod apocalypse, panzerchrist and pestilence! (and others i dont remember!). i know that most of them are death metal but that's who i am...
----
15.04.2011 - 16:08
Irinel

Leaked !
15.04.2011 - 16:34
Rating: 9
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Sounds great so far .. still doing my first listen through.
15.04.2011 - 16:57
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Its a little short but great!
15.04.2011 - 18:12
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Written by BaneConall on 15.04.2011 at 16:57

It's indeed short (their shortest album to date) and it sounds better than Dark Dimmensions in my opinion (still in my first run throught the album tough...).
15.04.2011 - 18:53
MechanisT
Account deleted
What can I say? Scar Symmetry is BACK!
15.04.2011 - 22:06
Kennoth

What? I thought this is coming up in May! Anyway, I'll listen to this tonight and then decide if I like what I hear.
----
16.04.2011 - 01:01
MetalSpider

Hopefully its better than Dark Matter Dimensions. Seems to be the consensus that it is. I heard Illumonoid Dream Sequence and thought it was great.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
16.04.2011 - 02:41
BaneConall
Fart Enthusiast
Written by Darth Mitchell on 15.04.2011 at 18:12

Written by BaneConall on 15.04.2011 at 16:57

It's indeed short (their shortest album to date) and it sounds better than Dark Dimmensions in my opinion (still in my first run throught the album tough...).

Its definitely a huge step up from Darm Matter Dimensions.
16.04.2011 - 12:47
Darth Mitchell
Mitchell
Written by Kennoth on 15.04.2011 at 22:06

What? I thought this is coming up in May! Anyway, I'll listen to this tonight and then decide if I like what I hear.

And do you like what you hear?
16.04.2011 - 13:20
Rating: 7
beyondtehdarksun

Heard it two times now, it's definitely less accessible than Dark Matter Dimension, which had some really catchy parts... guess it will grow with time.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
16.04.2011 - 13:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by beyondtehdarksun on 16.04.2011 at 13:20

Heard it two times now, it's definitely less accessible than Dark Matter Dimension, which had some really catchy parts... guess it will grow with time.

Yep, it is far less accessible, especially the latter half of the album. It does take more time to grow on you than DMD did.

@Kennoth: What's your opinion of it? lol
16.04.2011 - 14:03
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.04.2011 at 13:48

@Kennoth: What's your opinion of it? lol

it's funny that you people ask his opinion as he probably sleeps or generally is inactive now! he could even not have listened to the album till now...
----
16.04.2011 - 16:32
Kennoth

Sorry guys, haven't got around to it yet, I promise I'll do it tonight
----

Hits total: 20412 | This month: 21