08. Funereal Dance
09. Soothing In Agony
10. Fade To Blue

Additional info
Produced by Ixion.

Staff review by
BitterCOld
Rating:
To The Void marks the first proper full-length release from the doomed French duo, Ixion. They are described as "atmospheric doom" or "atmospheric funeral doom" or some such. This is a simplified, but fitting description. Given the choice of space imagery for the cover, why not go with the concept of a planet as a metaphor, no?

Read more ››
published 10.05.2011 | Comments (13)

Atmospheric French Space Doom! An album so enjoyable that it's one of the review requests I've received that I continue to listen to the album repeatedly after publishing the review. But rather than blathering on here, I'll just suggest interested parties click the link to my review below... and meanwhile I keep spinning this album and floating off into the void.

BitterCOld's picks | More picks ››

Found in 20 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 17   Visited by: 396 users
06.02.2011 - 15:22
Rating: 10
Akbarz

This is going to be great.
----
Like a slow scenery
I'm losing all my faith
In a lifeless motion
16.03.2011 - 11:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.03.2011 - 20:39
MechanisT
Account deleted
Great album! Thanks to one Marcel for pinpointing me towards this beauty!
12.04.2011 - 00:43
Rating: 9
Starchild

Beautiful album. I feel like traveling through the space when listening this beauty. Strong contender for doom metal album of the year.
12.04.2011 - 01:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I'd say it sounds like it's time for me to check this shit out. Marcel was hyping it like mad when it came out.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.04.2011 - 20:04
Kenos
Account deleted
Pretty good, I like it. I think it'll grow on me...

EDIT: meh, it didn't. Atmospheric stuff is really wonderful, but metallically (?) speaking I found it a bit lacking.
The songs are generally opened and closed by a beautiful and very promising ambiance, but then the doom sections are sometimes underwhelming and uneventful, except for some keyboard interludes here and there.
Not a bad album by any means; simply not so memorable, imo.
Maybe it could've been an excellent spacey-ambient album without the doom metal component, who knows.
04.02.2012 - 10:57
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
The thing that bugs me about this album is the shift of mood (and might I even say sub-genre) towards the end of the album. Its actually the kind of good doom throughout the first 8 tracks that requires to be immersed into its soundscapes and such soundscapes emotional inspirations/expressions. Whats even better is how it dared me to ponder the parallel and significance of having "doom in space". Its kind of a weird mix but when you really think about it "space" is an excellent metaphor of what the genre encompass. Obviously the emptiness of space is apathy and....emptiness one can find oneself when in despair while the forming bodies, stars, nebula, planets, represent the intangibility, seeming endlessness nature of our thoughts. If we were able to collect our thoughts in such a moment we would not be in such doom inspiring turmoil now would we.

However at track 8, Soothing in Agony, we are presented with riffs and song structures no longer esoteric but almost hooky, and all of the musical elements used to express the "space sorrow" form into such tangible instruments meant to rely on structure rather than mood and then.....its gothic-doom metal. Not really all that great of it neither. Its just their and left me begging to return to space.
08.02.2012 - 01:18
omjaimes
omjaimes
I could not feel the album as "space journey", is like listening to Esoteric with more emotional and little catchy moments. I think the perception to feel something as "space" in this production comes just from seeing the artwork. Anyway is a good album
22.02.2012 - 16:26
Rating: 8
Draugen

Space doom is indeed a very fitting description of this album since I actually felt like floating around in the vastness of space while listening to it. You can almost touch the atmosphere which completely engulfed me and resulted in a beautiful yet depressive trip through the emptiness.

2011 was full of great doom releases and Ixion's debut is without a doubt one of the highlights.
23.02.2012 - 02:06
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am not a doom fan at all but this album has enough "distractions" to keep coming back...
----
rekt
29.03.2012 - 08:41
Night Sight

There is no creativity ,it is something between my dying bride and theater of tragedy
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
10.08.2012 - 03:13
Sync
Account deleted
Listened to this album yet again, imo a beautiful doom album. I just can't get enough of the keyboards!
10.08.2012 - 13:02
Masonics

Very spacey accessible Doom. Sometimes the death vocals are hard to hear under the keyboards. Last song "fade to blue" is great with the bagpipes making an appearance!
17.01.2013 - 18:04
Rating: 9
Erik M.

Written by Night Sight on 29.03.2012 at 08:41

There is no creativity ,it is something between my dying bride and theater of tragedy

Well, screw you! Seriously though, this album is amazing, better than current MDB and ToT combined if you ask me.

Also, why even compare it to those bands? It's completely different music if you ask me...
05.09.2014 - 19:23
Rating: 7
Lionthrone

Just turned onto this one; I found it enjoyable to listen to but a little unremarkable. Maybe I expect too much but sometimes I just want them to turn it up and go really hard, if for only a moment, before heading back to the drones and keys. I also agree with Masonic that the vocals need to be taken up a notch and brought more to the fore. I think this band has a ton of potential though and will be watching for their new album.
06.09.2014 - 07:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Another case of "I should revisit this."
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.06.2020 - 23:44
angel.
Evil Butterfly
One of the most beautiful albums I heard last days, already spirited me away listening to Beyond the Skies.
----
The Fangirl.

Hits total: 12066 | This month: 13