03. Ed-209
04. A Storm Of Swords
05. Waste
06. Terror Consumes
07. Grindwheel
08. Behaver
09. Aggressive Perfector [Slayer cover]
10. Lich King III (World Gone Dead)

I like thrash, but I don't like regurgitation of ideas, from which the current thrash revival suffers at least to some extent. And while Lich King are not completely devoid of this problem, they know how to combine their influences into an album, which sounds relevant despite having been recorded twenty-odd years after the genre's heyday. Besides, I wouldn't be wasting my scarce time writing this review if this band wasn't worth it.

As some of you may know, I am a sucker for catchiness in songwriting, which Lich King deliver quite skillfully on World Gone Dead. Oh, and a word I try not to overuse (for diversity's sake) in my reviews: diversity. Yes, the little crook made its way to this album, too. Although the overall song structures are simplistic in a thrash way, each track has something memorable to offer: either the main riff or a solo or vocal performance or any other kind of detail that sticks out (think Kill 'Em All). Case in point: "Grindwheel." A groovy, rocking, gargantuan central riff impending in crescendo is taken over by some bad-ass Sean Killian-styled rendition in the verse, which is then changed by some nice growling in the chorus. There you have it: simple, diverse and catchy. Two-minute engagement in slushy soloing sounds a bit off on this song (despite adding points to diversity), but it is nothing terribly tasteless. "Grindwheel" definitely kicks some major arse just like most tracks on the album. Other killers like "Act of War" and "ED-209" inevitably induce strong foot-tapping and head-banging patterns in one's behavior and a burning desire to see these guys live. I mean start listening to "ED-209" and tell me what you want to do after the vocalist screams, "Go!"

Besides the little crook mentioned in the previous paragraph, another word that would describe this album well is balance. We are offered proportional amounts of fast and mid-tempo songs; a lot of memorable soloing; varied and quite effective vocal delivery; technical guitar playing; pounding, audible bass; suitable drumming; and definitely correct production. There is also a healthy dose of humor on World Gone Dead: finishing a song with, "Lyrics don't mean shit" is pretty funny, especially when they really don't (check out "Behaver"). The vocabulary on that song is very "unusual" for thrash, and the chances are high you will laugh your ass off. Besides all this goodness, Lich King have made a really masterful, extreme "Aggressive Perfector" cover making Slayer's original version sound more like Iron Maiden (no offense intended).

If you are following the ongoing thrash revival or/and you are a fan of Slayer, Exodus, and especially Vio-lence (by the way, "Waste" features a distinct riff from "Bodies on Bodies"), definitely check World Gone Dead out: this hasn't been a particularly great year for thrash, and Lich King have actually created one the best albums in the genre.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by K✞ulu | 03.02.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 73 users
06.02.2011 - 22:25
Rating: 8
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 06.02.2011 at 21:19

Voted this for the best thrash of 2010. Intensity and balls with good riffing, soloing, tempo changes, details in playing and great sound.

Good choice. I am hesitating between this and Relentless Retribution. But still this album is better than many of the nominated albums.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.04.2011 - 07:19
Ultraussie

I havent heard this album yet, but "Lich King". Honestly. SOMEBODY SHOULD STOP PLAYING MOTHERFUCKING WORLD OF MOTHERUFKCING WARCRAFT!!!
12.04.2011 - 12:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ultraussie on 12.04.2011 at 07:19

I havent heard this album yet, but "Lich King". Honestly. SOMEBODY SHOULD STOP PLAYING MOTHERFUCKING WORLD OF MOTHERUFKCING WARCRAFT!!!

Hahaha, no relation to WOW, but listen to the album. It's great!
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
29.07.2017 - 15:11
Metren
Dreadrealm
Nice review! Love this album, it was one of the albums that revitalized my love for thrash some time ago.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 4530 | This month: 5