Metal Storm logo
Nightwish - Reveal Concept For Upcoming Album

Official press release

In the midst of recording a new album, Nightwish has been preparing a movie.

"Imaginarium" is a music fantasy - film based on the forthcoming Nightwish album of the same title and its 13 songs.

The protagonist of the film is a songwriter with an otherworldly imagination. He is an old man who still thinks he's a young boy. While asleep he travels into his distant past where his dreams of old come back to him mixed to the young boy's world of fantasy and music.

In his dreams the old man fights to find the memories most important to him.

This never-done-before project originates to more than two years in the past when Tuomas first introduced his ambitious idea of the "Imaginarium" - concept to the fellow band members and to Mr. Stobe Harju, the director behind "The Islander" - music video. He will be the director of this full-length feature. The film will be produced by Solar Films Inc. together with Nightwish.

The shootings for "Imaginarium" will begin this spring, it will have its premiere in 2012 and the album it's based on will be released in an undefined point in time.

Nightwish will hold a press conference related to this project at the end of February.

[Also thanks to Elodie Artour for the news!]

Source: nightwish.com
Band profile: Nightwish
Posted: 10.02.2011 by Dominus

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 68   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 504 users
10.02.2011 - 21:31
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Special projects, films, concepts...sigh, I just want another good dark cinematic metal album. Then again, maybe it will be decent, Nightwish has always managed to outdo themselves in one way or another with each release.

Fingers crossed, hoping that the greatest symphonic metal band in the world doesn't fall from grace.
10.02.2011 - 21:39
PM
Hail Lusitânia
Is this a real full-lenght movie? This is awesome, isn't it?
----
PM is a pink elephant, and can be found at the bamboo forests of Greenland...
10.02.2011 - 21:40
Huntteri

Just bring Tarja back (yeah I know it won't happen)
10.02.2011 - 21:49
[-Ar3s-]

"... and the album it's based on will be released in an undefined point in time."

What does it mean? Will the album release in 2012? If so, what a pain in the ass...
10.02.2011 - 22:21
tirim4

Nightwish has allways made cinematic music and TOumas is very inspired by film music so I see this as quite unsuprising and exiting. I just hope it will be better then Within Temptations comics.
10.02.2011 - 22:22
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Guest on 10.02.2011 at 21:31

Fingers crossed, hoping that the greatest symphonic metal band in the world doesn't fall from grace.

Known they've already lost most of their "grace" since DPP, they're not allowed to release anything under very good, otherwise they'll effectively loose any kind of credibility...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
10.02.2011 - 22:37
Lawre

This is either going to be amazing or terrible. Only time can tell.
10.02.2011 - 22:48
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by MétalNoir on 10.02.2011 at 22:22

Written by Guest on 10.02.2011 at 21:31

Known they've already lost most of their "grace" since DPP, they're not allowed to release anything under very good, otherwise they'll effectively loose any kind of credibility...

Right, they lost their grace by firing a faux-opera singer that they couldn't work with anymore. Never mind the fact that the creative core remained intact.

Fanboys...
10.02.2011 - 22:54
Anibx

Excelent, that's a mind that never stop thinking and creating. A real artist.
10.02.2011 - 23:05
DreamNightmare

Looks beautiful and gives so much scope for the music. I sense something Epic
10.02.2011 - 23:28
Anno Dine

The film idea is hardly original, their concept remains the same...Just make good music again, if possible without the excessive post-Wishmaster ego-trippy cheesiness. (Boys, not every criticism of NW concerns only the vocalist.)
10.02.2011 - 23:32
annodomini

Why should Tuomas go back to the old stuff? He is evolving as a composer. Maybe he had grown his metal t-shirt up. Maybe he is now more in symphonic.cinematic stuff. I believe in Tuomas and his creativity, cause every single album is different and amazing at the same time. And here we will get a new chapter in music. This could be something as Pink Floyds - The Wall.
----
the riddle wants to be...
10.02.2011 - 23:40
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Nightwish's involvement with the world of film thus far consists of one of their songs being used in a Uwe "The Worse Than Michael Bay" Boll movie and writing a song for a Finnish film "Lieksa". Neither of which is any indication of what this will turn out to be, I hope *shiver*.
10.02.2011 - 23:55
Anno Dine

Written by annodomini on 10.02.2011 at 23:32

Why should Tuomas go back to the old stuff? He is evolving as a composer. Maybe he had grown his metal t-shirt up. Maybe he is now more in symphonic.cinematic stuff. I believe in Tuomas and his creativity, cause every single album is different and amazing at the same time. And here we will get a new chapter in music. This could be something as Pink Floyds - The Wall.

No, he shouldn't go back to the old stuff, but at least I would approve if he "evolved" out of whatever phase he's been in recently. Yes, I do realize many wouldn't. (I don't care that much anyway, TBH.) You said it - The Wall. A lot will depend on how they carry this idea out. As it stands it's nothing special and fans should hope that the film isn't there to distract from the music.
11.02.2011 - 00:00
Jiri

So this is what the Mayans foresaw in 2012...
11.02.2011 - 00:48
Vombatus
Potorro
Wow... so original concept and stuff... traveling in dreams, fighting for what we think is important and things... ugh...
It's tipical nightwish... but with a movie ! so it makes it mega cool and fills use with expectation
11.02.2011 - 01:11
INÆRIS

Strange. I'll have to see it.
----
Still Life, Still Death
11.02.2011 - 01:16
Ruudz
Account deleted
This will be awesome, I'm so looking forward to it! btw, I see alot of you guys here miss the pre-Century Child era. If it will help, Anette stated earlier in 2010 when she was at rehearsals that some of the new songs really had a back-to-the-roots feel. Holopainen also stated on the website (only finnish statement, 1th feb.) that some of the songs wouldn't even have orchestrations at all, so maybe we are seeing some power-metal/keyboardstyle again. Would be awesome with a mix of both styles!
11.02.2011 - 01:30
Susan
Smeghead
Too funny. Imaginarium is the name of a toy store (an international one). I will not be able to take this album seriously

And re: the completely cliche/overdone story line... Geez. Tired, guys. And who hasn't already figured out that Tuomas is THE most narcissistic person in metal? Another Nightwish story about a poet and his inner struggles.... thanks.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.02.2011 - 01:54
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
The premise sounds like some old dude trying to fight off Alzheimer's and keep his good memories close to him. YAWN.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
11.02.2011 - 02:11
Bloody_Footprint

Wow, a 5 year wait for another album about a tortured poet? Awesome. The film sounds like Fantasia meets Tim Burton.
----
Neurosis and Metal since '87
11.02.2011 - 02:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Did someone say this could be the next Wall by Pink Floyd?

----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.02.2011 - 02:22
grimm

I can't believe there are so many criticisms! I am soo excited for this!!! It looks amazing, and Tuomas hasn't disappointed me yet <3
11.02.2011 - 03:23
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I think the music will be enjoyable as always, but the movie will be shitty and very corny. As I have said many times in the past, I don't like the direction that the band took after Wishmaster. I honestly think this will be Toumas' fall from grace.

Going to watch it with really low expectations.
----
11.02.2011 - 03:38
Kenos
Account deleted
Hey wow... now that's an incredibly original concept, especially coming from Nightwish. And yes,
Written by Susan on 11.02.2011 at 01:30

Tuomas is THE most narcissistic person in metal

I totally agree...
11.02.2011 - 04:06
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Guest on 11.02.2011 at 03:38

Hey wow... now that's an incredibly original concept, especially coming from Nightwish. And yes,
Written by Susan on 11.02.2011 at 01:30

Tuomas is THE most narcissistic person in metal

I totally agree...

don't let Yngwie hear you... he'll unleash the fucking fury.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.02.2011 - 04:12
Susan
Smeghead
LOL I'd love to see their egos battle it out.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
11.02.2011 - 05:45
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Well, the film seems interesting enough, so I'm hoping things work out the way the band wants on this one Updates like this don't really get me excited though, as everything seems still so far in the distance...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
11.02.2011 - 05:46
Winterthrone

LOL! Do you realize, everybody, that you are posting comments on something that hasn't been done yet... To all the Nostradamuses out there wait and see! Maybe it'll be awesome, maybe not, but who can tell now? The director they have chosen did a really good job for The Islander so stop bullshitting the storyline. Sometimes the most basic storyline can make a great movie depending on how it is done. I'm not over-enthusiastic and not pessimistic, I'm just waiting to see how it will turn out to be!
11.02.2011 - 05:48
bananajerk2016

I'm very happy to hear the plan. It's good to finally know that it's set in motion. But I think they're putting all their eggs into this movie basket, and none into the album basket. Like, they're a band...who gives a shit about a movie? They should worry about the album first, release that, and then make a movie. And if I have to wait almost another two years for this album to come out....ughhhhhhhhh.

Hits total: 6881 | This month: 13