Metal Storm logo
Paul Di'Anno - Benefit Cheat, Sent To Jail

Original story:

Paul Di'Anno, best known for singing on the first two Iron Maiden albums and milking them dry for the last thirty years, has reportedly admitted in court to have falsely claimed a total of £45,000 (53,000?, $72,000) from the British tax-payers money.

He was arrested last year and charged with fraud. In court on the 10th of February 2011, he was told to prepare for a jail sentence after admitting eight counts of benefit fraud. The hearing has been adjourned until March the 11th 2011 for a pre-sentence report, and has bail in the meantime.

For the period between 2002 and 2008, he claimed he had nerve damage in his back, which disabled him from being able to work. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) had an anonymous tip-off, and caught Paul out with a YouTube video of him apparently jumping around stage in 2006.

...I'm running free yeah, I'm running free...

UPDATE

Paul has been sent to jail and will serve at least four and a half months before being released on conditional bail.

While sentencing, Jane Miller QC said "Your public persona is not relevant. Your greed has cost this country a lot of money. The claims were for a long time and for a large cost. It must be a custodial sentence."

A confiscation hearing to settle payments the rocker owes to the Department of Work and Pensions will be heard at the court on June 4th 2011.

Source: dailymail.co.uk
Posted: 11.03.2011 by Baz Anderson

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 562 users
12.02.2011 - 13:57
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
This is actually kind of funny. If he goes to jail that's exactly what he deserves.
He seemed to be in good shape when I saw him live.
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
12.02.2011 - 14:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
530 000 SEK hug I would survcubve maye 4-5 years whit out work

Just sixteen, a pickup truck, out of money, out of luck.
I've got nowhere to call my own, hit the gas, and here I go.

Spent the night in an L. A. (London)jail, and listened to the sirens wail.
They ain't got a thing on me, I'm running wild, I'm running free

Puller here at the Bottle Top, whiskey, dancing, disco hop.
Now all the boys are after me, and that's the way it's gonna be
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.02.2011 - 14:20
Kingface
Woops!
12.02.2011 - 14:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Kingface on 12.02.2011 at 14:20

Woops!

Well ppl need money nornal price in Europe to live is 2 000 euros per month I would love to have 20 000 living this street rock n roll life and live in workers houses like there is UK no thank's I dont ask some luxary plaice amnd live in Cheslea or whatever, but still 20 000 is min in my opinium
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2011 - 14:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
But I have quasten 45 000 pound sfor him since he sold planty IM albums whit him + solo, + tours it shood not be big cash, he shood have quate a lot of in a bank? Or he's Boris becker who's biggest wuss money waster ever 45 000 is not worth to spend time in a jail, 4 millons I would risk get it
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2011 - 15:52
What a fool!
12.02.2011 - 16:14
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Bad English on 12.02.2011 at 14:37

But I have quasten 45 000 pound sfor him since he sold planty IM albums whit him + solo, + tours it shood not be big cash, he shood have quate a lot of in a bank? Or he's Boris becker who's biggest wuss money waster ever 45 000 is not worth to spend time in a jail, 4 millons I would risk get it

Something tells me a heavy metal vocalist who appeared on two albums in the '80s probably wouldn't have an extra £45,000 sitting around. He's already sold his restaurant-hotel (probably due to a lack of personal finances) and even spent time in Brazil when he was doing his solo thing, which is more money spent (and probably not that much made).

I don't necessarily think jail time is worth it, unless it's a short sentence. I mean...he didn't kill anyone. As long as he can pay the money back by some predetermined deadline everything should be fine; if he can't, then sure, jail time it is.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
12.02.2011 - 16:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well ppl make mistaces, he shood think about IM money to buy a small place aparment, dont deal whit trestaraunt etc , but still 45 000 is not wortj to be in jail you still lost money, if money is like you can live restu of your life whit out work then I would risk éven go to Iran and say Ayatolla Homeini is a gay or put on t shirt how he doing blowjob to bin laden whatever , but 45 000 I never sighn for elegal thinks its not worth it , he still dont live like I do, fore maybe 45 000 its be 550 000 kroner I would surcvibe maybe 4--6 years whit out job, he maybe one month since his expenices are higher then mine
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2011 - 17:23
Valentin B
Iconoclast
He's a bitter old ass who can barely articulate any words while "singing" live, and he is a goddamned fool to think he could get away with this fraud. i do hope though it's not too much as it's not a that serious offence. did i mention he's fat? holy goddamned shit, i just did!

it seems that for once his fame came back and bit him in the ass good job, UK prosecutor!
12.02.2011 - 17:29
Jiri
12.02.2011 - 19:06
SlaytanicGonzo
Cause he's a Wrathchild
12.02.2011 - 19:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Valentin B on 12.02.2011 at 17:23

He's a bitter old ass who can barely articulate any words while "singing" live, and he is a goddamned fool to think he could get away with this fraud. i do hope though it's not too much as it's not a that serious offence. did i mention he's fat? holy goddamned shit, i just did!

it seems that for once his fame came back and bit him in the ass good job, UK prosecutor!

in Latvia, or Russia or other east Europe or Africa, SA whereer he would, but not in old EU and USA
Like amerricans say you cant esape from death and taxes
----

apos;'
[image]
12.02.2011 - 19:58
DoomGuard
Written by SlaytanicGonzo on 12.02.2011 at 19:06

Cause he's a Wrathchild

I liked this comment.

And stealing from the UK government? for shame Mr. Paul Di'Anno...for shame
12.02.2011 - 20:40
@gent_-_orange
No Getting away from cheating benefits now, maybe 20 years ago but now you are more or less guaranteed to get caught. I wonder who tipped them off. I also find it wierd that benefit fraud warrants a jail scentence (im not saying what he has done is justified), yet numerous MP's who have taken severe liberties with taxpayers money are not punished.
12.02.2011 - 22:55
evoola
Who the fuck cares. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Everyone needs to mind their own fucking business and worry about shit that actually matters.
12.02.2011 - 23:44
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
I'm just surprised our useless benefits agency actually caught someone for benefit fraud! Just another £1+ billion a year to recoup then....
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
12.02.2011 - 23:54
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 12.02.2011 at 20:40

No Getting away from cheating benefits now, maybe 20 years ago but now you are more or less guaranteed to get caught. I wonder who tipped them off. I also find it wierd that benefit fraud warrants a jail scentence (im not saying what he has done is justified), yet numerous MP's who have taken severe liberties with taxpayers money are not punished.

I agree. All MP's who are found to have taken liberties with taxpayers money should be given jail sentences, no exceptions. I also feel in a time when far too many dangerous and violent criminals are being released early, or even not jailed at all, because of lack of prison places, that all non-violent criminals apart from extreme exceptions should be given non-custodial punishments. Benefit fraud is a huge problem though, and people who do what Paul Di Anno did give a bad name to all those who genuinely can't work.
13.02.2011 - 00:53
@gent_-_orange
Written by Angelic Storm on 12.02.2011 at 23:54

Written by @gent_-_orange on 12.02.2011 at 20:40

I agree. All MP's who are found to have taken liberties with taxpayers money should be given jail sentences, no exceptions. I also feel in a time when far too many dangerous and violent criminals are being released early, or even not jailed at all, because of lack of prison places, that all non-violent criminals apart from extreme exceptions should be given non-custodial punishments. Benefit fraud is a huge problem though, and people who do what Paul Di Anno did give a bad name to all those who genuinely can't work.

It was kind of funny to see MP's justify themselves on TV by saying that "It wasnt against the rules" but it is no different from what paul has done here, yet they will not be punished. All they did was take taxpayers money and used it innapropriately. Paul should be ashamed of himself though ... benefits were set up for and should only be used by people who genuinelly need them.
13.02.2011 - 01:00
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.02.2011 at 00:53
It was kind of funny to see MP's justify themselves on TV by saying that "It wasnt against the rules" but it is no different from what paul has done here, yet they will not be punished. All they did was take taxpayers money and used it innapropriately. Paul should be ashamed of himself though ... benefits were set up for and should only be used by people who genuinelly need them.

It is no different, and is in fact even worse. As they are abusing their priveledged positions, and increasing people's taxes while the public services get worse, not better. People are struggling to make ends meet, while these MPs are using taxpayers money to fund things like 2nd homes, its disgraceful, and totally unacceptable. As for Paul, yep, him and all people like him who abuse the system should be ashamed of themselves. But most of them are not, and probably don't feel the least bit guilty for doing what they do. It should only be used by the people who genuinely need them. And unfortunately, it is them who are going to be made to pay and suffer for all this benefit fraud that's been happening in Britain over the last few years.
13.02.2011 - 01:06
I hate to say it.....but this is actually funny as shit. lolol
13.02.2011 - 01:28
@gent_-_orange
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.02.2011 at 01:00

Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.02.2011 at 00:53

It is no different, and is in fact even worse. As they are abusing their priveledged positions, and increasing people's taxes while the public services get worse, not better. People are struggling to make ends meet, while these MPs are using taxpayers money to fund things like 2nd homes, its disgraceful, and totally unacceptable. As for Paul, yep, him and all people like him who abuse the system should be ashamed of themselves. But most of them are not, and probably don't feel the least bit guilty for doing what they do. It should only be used by the people who genuinely need them. And unfortunately, it is them who are going to be made to pay and suffer for all this benefit fraud that's been happening in Britain over the last few years.

I Agree 100%, Once at my old job someone literally said to me "I havent worked a day in my life, and im proud of it" she was an elderly woman. I was honestly ashamed to live in the same town as arseholes like that. Imo people like that are the reason the country is going down the drain.
13.02.2011 - 01:37
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.02.2011 at 01:28
I Agree 100%, Once at my old job someone literally said to me "I havent worked a day in my life, and im proud of it" she was an elderly woman. I was honestly ashamed to live in the same town as arseholes like that. Imo people like that are the reason the country is going down the drain.

I dunno what's worse, the parasites who don't want to work and are proud of the fact, or the shambolic system which has allowed far too many such people to leech off the state for far too long. I am ashamed to call myself British at times, not just for that reason, although that definitely is one of them.
13.02.2011 - 02:18
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Hahahaah what a dick.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
13.02.2011 - 02:45
@gent_-_orange
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.02.2011 at 01:37

Written by @gent_-_orange on 13.02.2011 at 01:28

I dunno what's worse, the parasites who don't want to work and are proud of the fact, or the shambolic system which has allowed far too many such people to leech off the state for far too long. I am ashamed to call myself British at times, not just for that reason, although that definitely is one of them.

Some people just dont care i guess..... Fuck em, wastes of space in my opinion.
13.02.2011 - 03:14
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Guess he didn't get Sanctuary from the law.
13.02.2011 - 04:30
Richard
Elite
Apparently, according to his autobiography, Paul Di'Anno converted to Islam in the 1990's! I'm surprised that the lovely, tolerant Daily Mail failed to mention that... God bless them!
----
13.02.2011 - 08:05
Whoblehwah
On one hand I've always felt bad for the guy because he is (or was) a talented singer and never got his chance to shine after Iron Maiden, but on the other hand it was his own drug problems that did him in. *shrugs*
13.02.2011 - 13:44
RHedrock
I think he's unlucky if he faces jail. Not that he doesn't deserve a few months inside for the fraud, but with sentencing nowadays you're unlucky to go to jail for murder.

I'd probably just give him about 400 hours of Community Service!
13.02.2011 - 15:13
renai
Morale of the story... use youtube wisely!

I do agree that jailing is a bit cruel, just fine him a lot (if he found guilty)
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
13.02.2011 - 15:17
RavenKing
As far as I know, he's never been a smart guy.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody

Hits total: 10996 | This month: 13