Metal Storm logo
Paul Di'Anno - Benefit Cheat, Sent To Jail

Original story:

Paul Di'Anno, best known for singing on the first two Iron Maiden albums and milking them dry for the last thirty years, has reportedly admitted in court to have falsely claimed a total of £45,000 (53,000?, $72,000) from the British tax-payers money.

He was arrested last year and charged with fraud. In court on the 10th of February 2011, he was told to prepare for a jail sentence after admitting eight counts of benefit fraud. The hearing has been adjourned until March the 11th 2011 for a pre-sentence report, and has bail in the meantime.

For the period between 2002 and 2008, he claimed he had nerve damage in his back, which disabled him from being able to work. The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) had an anonymous tip-off, and caught Paul out with a YouTube video of him apparently jumping around stage in 2006.

...I'm running free yeah, I'm running free...

UPDATE

Paul has been sent to jail and will serve at least four and a half months before being released on conditional bail.

While sentencing, Jane Miller QC said "Your public persona is not relevant. Your greed has cost this country a lot of money. The claims were for a long time and for a large cost. It must be a custodial sentence."

A confiscation hearing to settle payments the rocker owes to the Department of Work and Pensions will be heard at the court on June 4th 2011.

Source: dailymail.co.uk
Posted: 11.03.2011 by Baz Anderson

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 6 ignored ]   Visited by: 562 users
13.02.2011 - 17:27
Bocata Calamares

Poor devil.
13.02.2011 - 17:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Irritable Ted on 13.02.2011 at 13:04

Go to jail.

They should be made to work, in a public service, to pay back the people who have financed their lazy lifestyle.

Do you think both forms of punishment are necessary, or just focus on increasing the amount of community service they should be forced to do? A jail sentence is a great way to point out to the person that "this is wrong", but that doesn't help get money back in your pocket.

In my opinion, he should have to pay back the money in full and be forced to help the community (I'm not sure exactly what he'd have to do, but something is better than nothing).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.02.2011 - 20:05
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 17:44

Go to jail.

They should be made to work, in a public service, to pay back the people who have financed their lazy lifestyle.

Do you think both forms of punishment are necessary, or just focus on increasing the amount of community service they should be forced to do? A jail sentence is a great way to point out to the person that "this is wrong", but that doesn't help get money back in your pocket.

In my opinion, he should have to pay back the money in full and be forced to help the community (I'm not sure exactly what he'd have to do, but something is better than nothing).

I think if they send him to jail, it's precisely because he can't pay back. If he was able to pay the debt in full, he would have avoided jail.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
13.02.2011 - 20:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 13.02.2011 at 20:05

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.02.2011 at 17:44

Go to jail.

I think if they send him to jail, it's precisely because he can't pay back. If he was able to pay the debt in full, he would have avoided jail.

Fair enough - I only gave the article a one-through, but I was under the impression they were going to give him a jail sentence regardless. I'm probably wrong though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.02.2011 - 20:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'd be surprised if he gets sent to jail, assuming it's his first offence. I reckon he'll get a few years suspended sentence, a fuckload of community service and a whopping great fine. I think he'd be pretty unlucky to go to prison over it. Being told to prepare for prison doesn't mean anything, it's pretty much a precautionary measure for crimes where prison is a possibility.
13.02.2011 - 20:25
RavenKing

Does anyone know if the amount mentioned is including interests and penalties? Because the debt could perhaps be twice as high in the end if they're not included in the amount mentioned. Penalties for heavy negligence like that can be quite high.
----
13.02.2011 - 20:44
Neuroku

Well at least he's now got another advert for his next tours besides "Ex-singer for Maiden on the first and second albums 30 years ago" like people give a shit anymore
13.02.2011 - 20:47
RavenKing

Written by Neuroku on 13.02.2011 at 20:44

Well at least he's now got another advert for his next tours besides "Ex-singer for Maiden on the first and second albums 30 years ago" like people give a shit anymore

He's kind of a pathetic has-been, imo. He's never been able to have a career of his own after Iron Maiden. Apart from singing old Maiden songs, he never did anything.
----
13.02.2011 - 23:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by RavenKing on 13.02.2011 at 20:47

Written by Neuroku on 13.02.2011 at 20:44

He's kind of a pathetic has-been, imo. He's never been able to have a career of his own after Iron Maiden. Apart from singing old Maiden songs, he never did anything.

yup, he is indeed an old pathetic hack who seems to try and milk as much money as possible out of his old Maiden days. i saw the Maiden documentary "The Early Days" and neither he nor the other guys don't even give a clear reason why he left the band. i'm almost 100% sure they would not have exploded like with Number of the Beast if he stayed, but they would have certainly risen to bigger success.

it's been 30 years already, can't the guy just suck it up, accept that he can't turn back time and Maiden became a world-class act after he left and just get the fuck over it?

what's ironic is that, were he not well-known, maybe the prosecutor wouldn't have found out about it at all. so his fame (which he desperately tries to cling to and squeeze money out of) came back and sunk its teeth deep in his wrinkled old buttcheeks.
14.02.2011 - 00:01
RavenKing

Written by Valentin B on 13.02.2011 at 23:49

yup, he is indeed an old pathetic hack who seems to try and milk as much money as possible out of his old Maiden days. i saw the Maiden documentary "The Early Days" and neither he nor the other guys don't even give a clear reason why he left the band. i'm almost 100% sure they would not have exploded like with Number of the Beast if he stayed, but they would have certainly risen to bigger success.

Concerning the reason he left/was kicked out of Maiden: I heard that Maiden knew they had to get rid of him if they were ever to progress and become bigger, that they could not go any further with Di'Anno as a singer. I also heard about drug problems.

And I'm also convinced Maiden would never have become so big in the 80s without Dickinson.
----
14.02.2011 - 04:37
ruffio

Its amazing what people think they can get away with, especially considering he was performing for the public.
14.02.2011 - 12:42
Neuroku

Have you heard him sing Sanctuary live? God he's shit. That bit after he says "Sanctuary" and there's a pause in the vocals was just shit.

With Paul "Sanctuary..." *instrumental bit*

With Bruce "SANCTUARYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!"

And he's a wanker in person. I had my Blaze shirt on (Pre-Blaze Bayley moniker of the last couple of years) and he went on about how he's a cunt who didn't wanna sing with him and this, that and the other. I was close to punching the bastard.
15.02.2011 - 01:13
beyondtheblack

Written by Angelic Storm on 13.02.2011 at 01:37

I dunno what's worse, the parasites who don't want to work and are proud of the fact, or the shambolic system which has allowed far too many such people to leech off the state for far too long. I am ashamed to call myself British at times, not just for that reason, although that definitely is one of them.

Replying to all of course...

Ex-wife here. Lived with him in mid 90s, he'd rip off the government back then too - claiming more than one giro cheque per fortnight whenever he could charm the clerk... His biggest nightmare was getting a real job, particularly picking potatoes in Kent. After being abused etc., I managed to escape, but I had to come back to the UK years later to get a divorce, cause Paul could not be bothered. Ironically, took a job picking potatoes. I think I heard respect in his voice when I told him that.:) I was so lucky I could get him to sign the papers! (How he got off his ass to do that, I don't know...)
15.02.2011 - 01:25
beyondtheblack

"Di'Anno's religious affiliation is made uncertain by his own words; he has given interviews that contradict each other on this subject, perhaps as a practical joke. A sign that he is in fact an atheist is that he has a tattoo on the back of his head that says "666" and "GOD = SUCKER".[13] According to his autobiography, he converted to Islam in the 1990s after reading the Qur'an. However he has subsequently reversed that position: I think religion kills everybody. I don't believe in it. ... No, my father was a Muslim, I must admit. But I don't give a fuck.[14] In later interviews Di'Anno clarifies that he never was a true Muslim, that he never stopped drinking, but tried to become a better person by applying some of the Muslim philosophies to his life. Again according to his autobiography, he has claimed to be Muslim, Catholic, Jewish and even Aborigine."

LOL
He doesn't know his father...his mom got pregnant at 17 by some Chelmsford bloke... His stepdad was actually a very good bloke from East London too, a builder. He raised Paul.
15.02.2011 - 03:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by beyondtheblack on 15.02.2011 at 01:25

"Di'Anno's religious affiliation is made uncertain by his own words; he has given interviews that contradict each other on this subject, perhaps as a practical joke. A sign that he is in fact an atheist is that he has a tattoo on the back of his head that says "666" and "GOD = SUCKER".[13] According to his autobiography, he converted to Islam in the 1990s after reading the Qur'an. However he has subsequently reversed that position: I think religion kills everybody. I don't believe in it. ... No, my father was a Muslim, I must admit. But I don't give a fuck.[14] In later interviews Di'Anno clarifies that he never was a true Muslim, that he never stopped drinking, but tried to become a better person by applying some of the Muslim philosophies to his life. Again according to his autobiography, he has claimed to be Muslim, Catholic, Jewish and even Aborigine."

LOL
He doesn't know his father...his mom got pregnant at 17 by some Chelmsford bloke... His stepdad was actually a very good bloke from East London too, a builder. He raised Paul.

Shit, happy Valentine's Day! haha
----
15.02.2011 - 03:17
Symmachus

Oh, my. This is certainly not something a person wants to be known for.
15.02.2011 - 03:21
beyondtheblack

LOL

His brother Darren was actually Dario and made millions in Formula one. His grandfather was from the Sicilian mafia and he was gonna kill me if I left Paul. Only that I wasn't scared shitless, like he says in his book, but I packed and vanished.:)
15.02.2011 - 03:23
beyondtheblack

...how does a Sicilian mafioso breed a Muslim son, is beyond me... but anyway, it Valentine's and I'm a little amused. Cheers
11.03.2011 - 19:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
11.03.2011 - 19:51
16_Wasted_Years

Written by Valentin B on 11.03.2011 at 19:44

Hahahaha! well put!
11.03.2011 - 20:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by 16_Wasted_Years on 11.03.2011 at 19:51

Hahahaha! well put!

ironically, the monopoly guy kinda looks like Paul DiAnno does nowadays, apart from the moustache.
11.03.2011 - 20:48
Neuroku

4 and half months? is that it?
11.03.2011 - 21:15
Opethian

What a dumb ass! Have fun in a cell you Idiot
11.03.2011 - 21:23
FishStyx1

Written by Neuroku on 11.03.2011 at 20:48

No kidding! He deserves much more than that!!
11.03.2011 - 21:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Neuroku on 11.03.2011 at 20:48

Seeing as some in this country can get off with less (or even escape prison altogether) for GBH, attempted murder, and other even more severe offences, then that sentence is not really a surprise. Though it does seem that any crime that involves stealing money from the state (or non-payment of taxes) incurs heavier sentences (unless you're a politician!) than that for many violent and dangerous personal offences.
11.03.2011 - 21:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
O fuck 4 months in jail its not much, and it wont eb H Blocks anwyway, some where small time crooks , lucky criminal
Now he can sing in jail
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.03.2011 - 21:51
beyondtheblack

"A confiscation hearing to settle payments the rocker owes to the DWP will be heard at the court on June 4." - confiscate what?!

I guess they've given him 4.5 months under the presumption the money will be paid back - but I am sure he doesn't own anything. Haven't they enquired about that?
11.03.2011 - 22:06
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
I can't imagine how many people are gonna want to make him their bitch.
12.03.2011 - 00:15
Bas
Retired Staff
Well that serves him right
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
12.03.2011 - 01:04
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Well no wander, he was always playing a smartass...
----

Hits total: 10992 | This month: 9