Metal Storm logo
Necronoclast interview (02/2011)

With: Greg Edwards
Conducted by: Troy Killjoy (e-mail)
Published: 16.02.2011

Band profile:

Necronoclast

Necronoclast is a one-man black metal project formed in 2003 by Greg Edwards. To date, Edwards has released a demo and three full-lengths, with his latest - Ashes - set to be released on February 22nd. With this impending infliction on mankind, Edwards offered me a chance to explain what goes through his mind in regards to recording, as well as what goes into each of his albums.

What was the main source of motivation for you to form Necronoclast?

Existence. I've been a metal fan for a long time and Necronoclast was borne of a desire to create and design. It is an opportunity for me to visualise and realise, on my own terms.

With so many one-man black metal bands worldwide, what do you do to distinguish Necronoclast from the rest of the crowd?

I make no concerted effort to be "different", I write what comes to me. "One-man black metal band" is not a sound, or a genre, it is an observation. In various multi-member bands, one individual does all the writing. I will continue to write and release music that achieves the emotion and the atmosphere that I desire to create; I am what distinguishes Necronoclast from other bands.

How did you come across Moribund Records and what led to your signing?

Moribund is a well-known label. I got in touch when I sent a copy of the first album Monument to Odin to see if he would be interested in carrying some copies in their distro. He was interested and offered me a contract beginning with the release of The Plague.

Does writing for an American label create any difficulties in terms of communication, recording times, release dates, or anything else that would interfere with releasing new material?

None. Before signing with Moribund, I worked with Infernal Kaos Productions, based in Korea. Communication there was sometimes more difficult, because his English wasn't perfect and my ignorance of Korean is comprehensive. However, we still communicated without much trouble. Speaking the same language has helped, but English is so ubiquitous that native English speakers have everything easy.

Lyrically speaking, what is the message behind your releases?

I wouldn't say I have a message, I'm not preaching to anybody or trying to tell anyone how to waste their lives - people are great at that themselves. My focus is on the dark side of life - the realities that people chose to ignore, the things that are easier for some to ignore than to deal with. My musical goal is to create mood, to evoke feeling and atmosphere. I place little importance on lyrics because this is a style where the music should communicate all intent.

Are you looking to identify with listeners or is the writing process just a means of self-expression?

It's self-expression, but it's reality. Anyone can relate to the topics I am writing about because they are reality, stripped down to the bones and thrust in your face. The only barrier is ignorance.

Ashes will mark your fourth full-length release. How would you say you've grown or evolved musically since you formed Necronoclast?

Musically the songs are more complex and layered, better written and assembled. The recording standard is better, the vocals are more powerful. With each album, I have climbed closer to that which I have always sought to achieve.

As an underground musician, how do you afford to continue recording and releasing new material?

I record everything myself, and the label pays the actual production costs. I have financed the recording gear I have needed myself, partly by accumulating it over time and spreading cost. It's one reason why my production quality improves over time, because I am constantly seeking to improve how I work.

You were releasing albums on a yearly basis up until Haven. There was a bit more of a break before Ashes' release date. Is there a particular reason for the wait?

I probably took a little more time over Ashes than previously, but when I signed to Moribund, Monument and The Plague were already recorded and ready to release, and the writing for Haven had already begun. The sequence of events made it appear that the previous three albums were written closer together than they actually were.

Do you consider Scotland to be a major force in the black metal scene?

No. Scotland isn't a major force in any metal scene. That's not to say that there aren't worthwhile bands from Scotland, because there are.

Do you take any inspiration from fellow Scottish black metal artists?

None. My inspiration comes from elsewhere.

Aside from not having other members in your band, why hasn't Europe seen Necronoclast on stage?

The last few gigs I have been to have been like alcohol-fueled creches. It doesn't interest me at all. Also, sometimes the aura a band creates on record is completely lost live, and that's another reason why Necronoclast is not a live band.

Lastly, you seem to be gaining more of a following worldwide with each release. What future plans do you have for Necronoclast?

I'm currently lining up a couple of split releases for this year, and I'm pooling ideas at the moment for the next full-length. The concept is ready, should be a little different next time. Going to start writing music soon.

On behalf of Metal Storm I would like to thank you for reading and answering these questions.

Posted on 16.02.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 215 users
16.02.2011 - 16:40
Windrider
Raureif
Well I only know this band from a few (great) songs I have yet listened to, but it seems to me that "Haven" had a much better sound quality than the new stuff...
Quote:

I place little importance on lyrics because this is a style where the music should communicate all intent.

Great, exactly what I think when I read some stupid bm lyrics that only tell of satan and how to murder a christian in a most satanic way...
16.02.2011 - 17:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 16.02.2011 at 16:40

Well I only know this band from a few (great) songs I have yet listened to, but it seems to me that "Haven" had a much better sound quality than the new stuff...
Quote:

I place little importance on lyrics because this is a style where the music should communicate all intent.

Great, exactly what I think when I read some stupid bm lyrics that only tell of satan and how to murder a christian in a most satanic way...

I personally enjoyed Haven a lot more than Ashes, but I guess it doesn't matter to Edwards because he's doing what he wants with his new album so I guess that's cool.

As for lyrics...ya, I tend to appreciate when lyricists actually give a noticeable effort. I mean even some bands whose members don't know that much English seem to make an effort.

PS - not that you said Necronoclast in particular is anti-Christian or Satanic, but I'm pretty sure his lyrical focus targets death, pain, possible suicidal thoughts, and nihilism.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.02.2011 - 17:45
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.02.2011 at 17:18

I personally enjoyed Haven a lot more than Ashes, but I guess it doesn't matter to Edwards because he's doing what he wants with his new album so I guess that's cool.

As for lyrics...ya, I tend to appreciate when lyricists actually give a noticeable effort. I mean even some bands whose members don't know that much English seem to make an effort.

PS - not that you said Necronoclast in particular is anti-Christian or Satanic, but I'm pretty sure his lyrical focus targets death, pain, possible suicidal thoughts, and nihilism.

Can you maybe tell me where I can get "Haven"... I tried in my local store ("not on list"), internet like amazon and stuff ('cause I dont wanna buy on strange label sites and spread my address and stuff everywhere), but I have not found anything... And I am no fan of downloads, at least not where I have to pay... Any further ideas??
Btw I agree with you, his lyrics will probably underline what he expresses in music... some kind of unconscious mind.
16.02.2011 - 17:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 16.02.2011 at 17:45

Can you maybe tell me where I can get "Haven"... I tried in my local store ("not on list"), internet like amazon and stuff ('cause I dont wanna buy on strange label sites and spread my address and stuff everywhere), but I have not found anything... And I am no fan of downloads, at least not where I have to pay... Any further ideas??
Btw I agree with you, his lyrics will probably underline what he expresses in music... some kind of unconscious mind.

Some online sites:

CD Universe
The End Records distro

Or Moribund label.

I've ordered from all 3 sites in the past without any issue. The cheapest option is Moribund ($9.99US), although you will have to provide your shipping address.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.02.2011 - 18:08
Windrider
Raureif
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.02.2011 at 17:58

Written by Windrider on 16.02.2011 at 17:45

Some online sites:

CD Universe
The End Records distro

Or Moribund label.

I've ordered from all 3 sites in the past without any issue. The cheapest option is Moribund ($9.99US), although you will have to provide your shipping address.

Well I will see, I don't need it at once but when I come again into my all-bm mood I'll maybe will get it... Thanks a lot!
16.02.2011 - 18:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 16.02.2011 at 18:08

Well I will see, I don't need it at once but when I come again into my all-bm mood I'll maybe will get it... Thanks a lot!

No problem! Always glad to help a band and a fellow fan.
----
19.02.2011 - 06:37
Destructo

He seems to have a completely non-Black Metal personality. All his answers were concise and to-the-point, there were no cliches or "speaking in riddles" as most Black Metal musicians are known for (yes....Limbonic Art, I'm speaking to you). Am surely checking this band out soon. Seems interesting.
19.02.2011 - 13:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Destructo on 19.02.2011 at 06:37

He seems to have a completely non-Black Metal personality. All his answers were concise and to-the-point, there were no cliches or "speaking in riddles" as most Black Metal musicians are known for (yes....Limbonic Art, I'm speaking to you). Am surely checking this band out soon. Seems interesting.

True, he seemed to be holding back a lot though (at least that's how I felt). It's like he wanted to say more but didn't want to risk something - I dunno, sounding stupid or something maybe. Either that or he's just not a big talker.
----

Hits total: 6484 | This month: 10