Metal Storm logo
This is where to find post/sludge/atmospheric metal suggestions

13.05.2011 - 12:48
Deadsoulman
Elite
I see no one has mentioned Black Shape Of Nexus. Absolutely crushing, utterly riff-based sludge (except the Microbarome Meetings album which is pure drone) from Germany. They have a couple of releases available for download on their website, especially the Live in Mannheim tape is devastating. I've given a shot to pretty much their whole discography and you can't go wrong with these guys.
24.05.2011 - 07:38
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by BitterCOld on 19.02.2011 at 20:01

Tossing some seconds, and some firsts which might be obvious... just in case a total noob the genre also checks in here looking for suggestions:

Neurosis
Minsk
Ufomammut
Dukatalon
Bongripper

And some firsts:

Tombs (Sludge meets urban Black)
Shrinebuilder (all star project)
Torche (happy fun stuff partially rooted in sludge)
Eibon (equal parts sludge, doom, black... we popped in sludge/stoner for hte 2010 MSA's)
High On Fire
Kylesa
Baroness (perhaps light, but with some 70's prog rock and post stuff)

I've heard all of those. I actually decided to check out dukatalon because of your review, I had seen the album around but never really checked them out. Definitely a good find for me
Any other suggestions?
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
24.05.2011 - 07:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Spirit Molecule on 24.05.2011 at 07:38

I've heard all of those. I actually decided to check out dukatalon because of your review, I had seen the album around but never really checked them out. Definitely a good find for me
Any other suggestions?

minsk, buzzov*en, acid bath have been mentioned earlier.

indian might be another.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.05.2011 - 12:29
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Heard all of those as well. For some reason Indian didn't appeal to me that much, maybe gotta give it a few more listens
----

Last fm
Don't click here
31.05.2011 - 19:31
(((O)))

Woburn House is a good band, psychedelic post-metal.
31.05.2011 - 19:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was on the bus an hour ago and saw a street sign saying "Woburn Place" and naturally thought of Woburn House. Never properly listened to them but they're on Zeitgeister so I can imagine they're quality stuff, as that song would indictate.
01.06.2011 - 22:36
Dööm
It baffles me that Electric Wizard hasn't been mentioned yet - so there it is. The Dopethrone album is good.

In Atmospheric Metal you absolutely have to listen to The Ocean's Precambrian in its entirerity (spelling ok?). In my mind, it's a master piece. And there's value for money - All their albums are intented as double disc albums. Fluxion (followed by Aeolian) is also awesome but also a bit more influenced by hardcore. Their later releases Heliocentric and Anthropocentric are much more progressive but still very good in their own right - just very different.

Check the Spanish band Horn Of The Rhino (Album: Weight Of Coronation) for some charming and really down tempo Sludge/Doom.
02.06.2011 - 02:02
IronAngel
Electric Wizard are good (if a little overrated), but I don't see how they fit into this topic. They play dirty stoner doom, nothing much atmospheric or postish about it. I've been meaning to check Ocean out but I've yet to have the chance.
02.06.2011 - 06:51
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by IronAngel on 02.06.2011 at 02:02

Electric Wizard are good (if a little overrated), but I don't see how they fit into this topic. They play dirty stoner doom, nothing much atmospheric or postish about it. I've been meaning to check Ocean out but I've yet to have the chance.

I suggest you start with precambrian. Brilliant album. I think this was the album that actually got me into the whole sludge scene along with mastodon.
----

Last fm
Don't click here
02.06.2011 - 13:26
Dööm
Written by IronAngel on 02.06.2011 at 02:02

I agree Electric Wizard are not pioneers or pure awesomeness. It often comes down to if you like their sound, which is very dirty. I thought they would fit in here, seeing as bands such as High On Fire was also mentioned. Also in my oppinion, Electric Wizard do work up an atmosphere, since many of their songs are 10+ min. long while nothing much really happens. It's not the "windy sound effects behind softly picked guitar chords"-kind of atmosperic though.
Also, this just goes to show how all the sub genres of metal has made it rather difficult to agree on what's what. I actually thought Electric Wizard would be included in Sludge.

Anyway, regarding The Ocean (or The Ocean Collective, as they are also known as), you should start with Precambrian. Good stuff.
02.06.2011 - 18:59
IronAngel
Oh yeah, I guess there's some sludgy stuff in Electric Wizard, I just mainly connected the sludge in this topic's title to atmospheric sludge, the kind that these so-called post-metal bands tend to play, or even straighter stuff that nonetheless has that hardcore vibe. Like Dukatalon etc. But yeah, it's not like recommending Electric WIzard is a bad thing in any case.
04.06.2011 - 12:24
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Dööm on 02.06.2011 at 13:26

I actually thought Electric Wizard would be included in Sludge.

Electric Wizard have some sludge elements here and there indeed but are mostly stoner imo Very good band anyway...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2011 - 12:44
Dööm
Now, let's not turn this into a thread about how to label Electric Wizard.

Regarding postish metal, try giving Danish Kellermensch a listening. It's some very interesting post/alternative metal (or whatever label you like)

Cheers
06.06.2011 - 01:40
(((O)))

Arktika is another good band.
09.06.2011 - 10:55
Dööm
Ok, I'm working at home at the moment listening to a lot of records every day (nice), and just got lost in this:

Damn, that's good.

Also, we haven't mentioned Burst here.
16.06.2011 - 07:31
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Here's one I've been listening to lately...

Koloss - End of the Chayot

http://www.myspace.com/endofthechayot/music
----
rekt
09.07.2011 - 18:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by R'Vannith on 04.03.2011 at 06:03

If there was one band I would recommend in this thread it would be these guys:
http://www.myspace.com/tidesfromnebula

They play atmospheric instrumental post-metal, or something along those lines.
Also; heard they were touring Europe with Riverside in May, that would be awesome...

I checked this band out - thanks for the suggestion! I love ambient/noise aura in the music!
----
rekt
10.07.2011 - 03:10
Ankläger
Hypothermia's Skogen's Hjarta is rather post-y (USELESS NEW ADJECTIVE), a radical departure from their (his?) previous ( ) stuff.
And Hooded Eagle's self-titled EP (Google these guys for a Myspace... I'm too lazy right now). And I think they've got something new coming sometime(?)
09.08.2011 - 03:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Thoroughly enjoying the new Tides From Nebula album 'Earthshine':

20.08.2011 - 09:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Tack Sleestak to this list...
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.08.2011 - 13:22
Corbeaux
Cult Of Luna, Tephra, Neurosis, Isis, Tides, Mouth Of The Architect, Rosetta, Burst, Callisto

All those bands are AMAZING. Except Tephra, they are kinda boring :/
06.10.2011 - 18:55
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by BitterCOld on 24.05.2011 at 07:51

Written by Spirit Molecule on 24.05.2011 at 07:38

Any other suggestions?

minsk, buzzov*en, acid bath have been mentioned earlier.

indian might be another.

Hey, brah, your Diamondbacks just kicked the crap outta my Brewers two straight games!

Check these out when u get a chance...

Arktika - At Zero
REKA - I, II, III
Dirge - Elysian Magnetic Fields
Rinoa - An Age Among Them
----
rekt
06.10.2011 - 19:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.10.2011 at 18:55

Hey, brah, your Diamondbacks just kicked the crap outta my Brewers two straight games!

Arktika - At Zero
REKA - I, II, III

actually a Chowd transplant... grew up a Masshole, and still root for the Bruins, Sox, Pats, C's in that order...

that said, I do like both the Dbacks (local boys) and the Brew Crew. Went to Milwaukee for a wedding about 8-9 years ago, groom/buddy took us all to Miller Park for a game... good time at the game, aside from the pathetic replacement for that old beer slide... made better by the fact when they announced celeb b-days in between innings, it happened to be Mojo Nixon's, so they blared "Elvis Is Everywhere."

i'm rooting for whoever comes out of this series to win it all.

will see if those are on spotify, if so i'll inject them into my stoner/sludge play list. else it might be a while.
----

06.10.2011 - 19:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by BitterCOld on 06.10.2011 at 19:03

Written by tea[m]ster on 06.10.2011 at 18:55

Arktika - At Zero
REKA - I, II, III

actually a Chowd transplant... grew up a Masshole, and still root for the Bruins, Sox, Pats, C's in that order...

that said, I do like both the Dbacks (local boys) and the Brew Crew. Went to Milwaukee for a wedding about 8-9 years ago, groom/buddy took us all to Miller Park for a game... good time at the game, aside from the pathetic replacement for that old beer slide... made better by the fact when they announced celeb b-days in between innings, it happened to be Mojo Nixon's, so they blared "Elvis Is Everywhere."

i'm rooting for whoever comes out of this series to win it all.

will see if those are on spotify, if so i'll inject them into my stoner/sludge play list. else it might be a while.

Must have killed you watching the Sox blow that 10 game lead in Sept. Pat's and Packers are very similar this year. They score a boatload of points but can't stop anyone.

If you want anymore post/sludge suggestions PM me. I have about 1000 bands I'd love to share!
----
rekt
06.10.2011 - 19:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.10.2011 at 19:10

Must have killed you watching the Sox blow that 10 game lead in Sept. Pat's and Packers are very similar this year. They score a boatload of points but can't stop anyone.

If you want anymore post/sludge suggestions PM me. I have about 1000 bands I'd love to share!

sox - not really. the best part about being a sox fan "abroad" is i am removed from a lot of the negative obsession. i wanted one championship in my lifetime - got it in the most dramatic turn of events possible, and got a second to boot. everything else is just bonus. the sox had no pitching down the stretch (i got a midnight call from Theo asking if i could throw a few innings...) and the o needed to put up a touchdown to win. that's no joke. i think they might have had one win last month without putting up 6 or 7 runs. i wasn't kidding myself - even if they made the playoffs, they'd be out in 4. the only thing that bugged me was Tito Francona (a fellow Arizona grad) getting blamed and axed - although I'm happy he got out of town on the high moral ground. the vast majority know he's not to blame. Bear Down, Tito.

Do me a favor, wait about a month, then pm me with a half dozen/dozen bands to check out. I have another package of cd's incoming from Solitude Productions that I will have to review, coupled with a couple other random reviews.

RWAKE is one, caught one track, seemed they deserve mention on this thread based on the little i've heard.

the cool thing about reviewing is lots of "free cd's!" - the drawback is once i have 3+ on my plate i feel guilty for listening to anything else "just for fun."
----

06.10.2011 - 21:28
Risto
Wandering Midget
These guys should be right up your alley.

06.10.2011 - 21:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Conveniently dirge and rinoa are on Spotify...
----

07.10.2011 - 11:05
IronAngel
I already mentioned them in the new album topic, but Omega Massif have a good new album out (also on Spotify, as are their previous two). It's instrumental sludge/post-rock in the vein of Pelican or Year Of No Light. Heavier than Pelican, but more rhythmic and math-y than YONL.
29.10.2011 - 21:51
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Amia Venera Landscape - The Long Procession

Terrific album...think Cult of Luna meets Rosetta (where haven't we heard that before) with Todglichter Angst production!
----
rekt
29.10.2011 - 23:52
IronAngel
Amia Venera Landscape are awesome. Gotta give a word of warning, though: they are not really metal (and I can't say I fully agree with your comparisons) but rather a post-hardcore band with a heavier take at their genre and lots of instrumental wankery to make it interesting. I really like them.

But it is rather telling that you should mention them: the sludge and post-metal genres are pretty close to post-hardcore and screamo (and "real" metalcore), so much so that it's hard to tell with bands like Amia Venera Landscape, Helms Alee or Will Haven if they're metal or some derivative of hardcore. Hopefully they can bridge the gap between the fanbases and break some preconceptions.