Metal Storm logo
Virgin Steele - Visions of Eden

09.09.2006 - 18:18
Hellish Star

No topic about Virgin STeele? Such as shame because this is an awesome, fantastic epic 'true' metalband from the USA. I know most of the metalstormers are not into US metal but I suppose you guys know this band, although their name.

Virgin Steele excists since the early eighties and they release several brilliant albums, thing about 'The house of Artreus part I and II' and 'The marriage between heaven and hell part I & II'.

They just released a new masterpiece, called "Visions of Eden". This is a "must have" for all fans of epic metal.
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
12.09.2006 - 11:07
KwonVerge
Odysseus
I used to adore Virgin Steele and every now and then i listen to the two marriage albums and such, a really great US epic "true" metal band. David Defeis has a really thrilling voice, whether he screams or whispers or chants in a hallucinating way he definitely sounds awesome, utterly expressive! So they released a new album! I think i gotta check it out as soon as possible! And since you present it, knowing that you're a huge fan of the US scene, as a new masterpiece and such then it really has to be one!

"Victory is mine!"
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
12.09.2006 - 11:15
GT
Coffee!!
Haven't heard about them, but jugding by your decribtion I better check them out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
13.09.2006 - 02:04
peavy
Account deleted
I love everything from this band... even "Life Among The Ruins" which upset a lot of fans. David DeFeis is outstanding!!!
13.09.2006 - 02:27
Streetcleaner
Account deleted
I agree that the marriages and the houses of atreus are brilliant... I already downloaded this one, although hadn't listened to yet... I'm excited about though, and it's an interesting fact that it's the longest album Virgin Steele had ever released.
13.09.2006 - 11:02
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Written by Guest on 13.09.2006 at 02:04

I love everything from this band... even "Life Among The Ruins" which upset a lot of fans. David DeFeis is outstanding!!!

I haven't listened to life among the ruins yet, why does it upset a lot of fans? Does it lack something in their opinion? If so, what?

@StreetCleaner: How much does it last? The House Of Atreus Part II was definitely a really lengthy album, "visions of eden" is even more lengthy?
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
13.09.2006 - 12:48
peavy
Account deleted
Written by KwonVerge on 13.09.2006 at 11:02

Written by Guest on 13.09.2006 at 02:04

I haven't listened to life among the ruins yet, why does it upset a lot of fans? Does it lack something in their opinion? If so, what?

Because it's very soft compared to what they did before. More like hard rock with a tiny bit of metal and it's got many ballads.
17.09.2006 - 00:10
eagleheart
Account deleted
life among the ruins is not an epic lp at all,it is actually a hard rock lp.It's not a bad album for that kind,but it is not typical VIRGIN STEELE at all.
17.09.2006 - 01:20
danzig111
Account deleted
I heard Virgin Steele years and years back, i don't quite remember exactly what they sounded like, I just remember being unimpressed and bored by the music, but I might try them again. Though i doubt i will like them since they are US Power Metal, and the only band i like from that genre is Manowar (but they hardly count).
17.09.2006 - 04:22
Hellish Star

Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 01:20

I heard Virgin Steele years and years back, i don't quite remember exactly what they sounded like, I just remember being unimpressed and bored by the music, but I might try them again. Though i doubt i will like them since they are US Power Metal, and the only band i like from that genre is Manowar (but they hardly count).

Manowar isn't US power metal and Virgin Steele is, just as Manowar, epic heavy metal but only much, really much better.... I'm no Manowar fan at all but I am a Vrigin Steele album...

By the way, which US power have you heard?
----

17.09.2006 - 17:56
danzig111
Account deleted
Written by Hellish Star on 17.09.2006 at 04:22

Manowar isn't US power metal and Virgin Steele is, just as Manowar, epic heavy metal but only much, really much better.... I'm no Manowar fan at all but I am a Vrigin Steele album...

As I said, I've heard Virgin Steele, and if you count Manowar then yes, they are one ov my favourites.

I have also heard:
Jag Panzer
Axenstar
Winter's Bane
Kamelot
17.09.2006 - 18:03
peavy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 17:56

As I said, I've heard Virgin Steele, and if you count Manowar then yes, they are one ov my favourites.

I have also heard:
Jag Panzer
Axenstar
Winter's Bane
Kamelot

Axenstar is a Swedish band and they play eu melodic power metal.
17.09.2006 - 18:15
danzig111
Account deleted
@peavy: oh shit! how embarassing, thanks for pointing that out for me

oh yeah and i like Cellador....but though they are based in Tennessee, they play European Power Metal, so i doubt they count.
17.09.2006 - 19:29
Hellish Star

Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 17:56

I have also heard:
Jag Panzer
Axenstar
Winter's Bane
Kamelot

Tastes are different. The new WInters Bane is IMO a masterpiece, one of the best albums from 2006. I'm a big fan of Jag Panzer as well but you don't have to like it...

Kamelot is a power metal band from the USA but they don't play US power metal (except for the very first album). They play European oriented power metal.

Axenstar is from Sweden, not from the US.
----

25.09.2006 - 09:08
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Wow I'm going to be picking this album up very soon,and I cant fucking wait to hear it.Just by looking at it,I can tell its going to be a masterpiece...but then what can you expect from such a great band.
26.09.2006 - 08:52
Xeolord
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 00:10

life among the ruins is not an epic lp at all,it is actually a hard rock lp.It's not a bad album for that kind,but it is not typical VIRGIN STEELE at all.

So ... then could it be compared to their older albums? I totally loved Virgin Steele I and Guardians of the Flame. But yeah, I'm a fan of the band (funny how people can like them but not Manowar though). I can see how there concept albums could be a little hard to get into, but they're pretty cool all the way through. The Atreus albums are great, and the Heaven and Hell ones. Sadly I still haven't been able to find Invictus, which I've heard is one of their best.

Definitely somewhat of an underated band though. Good to see some fans though.
03.10.2006 - 12:50
Hellish Star

The new album is still growing on me... The more I listen, the more I discover, the more I'm convinced this is a masterpiece in metal....
----

05.11.2006 - 18:42
eagleheart
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.09.2006 at 08:52

Written by Guest on 17.09.2006 at 00:10

So ... then could it be compared to their older albums? I totally loved Virgin Steele I and Guardians of the Flame. But yeah, I'm a fan of the band (funny how people can like them but not Manowar though). I can see how there concept albums could be a little hard to get into, but they're pretty cool all the way through. The Atreus albums are great, and the Heaven and Hell ones. Sadly I still haven't been able to find Invictus, which I've heard is one of their best.

Definitely somewhat of an underated band though. Good to see some fans though.

Guardians of the flame is far better than "life...". I have not listened the lp "virgin steele" but as far as i know it is also hard rock.IMO their best album is "marriage... pt2".Invictus is also a very good album with a lot of epic feeling in it.And yes i agree,they are underated, they have offered so much to epic metal.
27.04.2007 - 04:19
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
God what an amazing band, I'm sort of behind in getting their albums (I'm too poor) but I picked up the Marriage of Heaven and Hell Pt. 1 and my god I haven't stopped listening to it. I've been into these guys for awhile, and I am constantly impressed with each listen. In my opinion one of the best bands of metal,nuff said.
31.08.2008 - 04:04
YoreLore

One of the best most underrated metal bands of all time. Its a shame that people compare them to Manowar because even though I am a Manowar fan, this band eclipses them in every way . Visions Of Eden is a masterpiece along with just about everything else they have done. Even the tracks that are about 1 minute long are incredible haha
----
"I'm rising in power through murdering rain
Stronger than Faith allows
Braver than heroes vows
...My head is bloody
but I am unbowed
I am power..."