Release date: 2010

01. Leave Me
02. The Woman We Are Looking For
03. Mobius Ring
04. Interlude
05. Testament Of Gumilev
06. An Old Road Through The Snow
07. Вitterness Of The Years That Are Lost

A doom outfit hailing from Mother Russia, Who Dies In Siberian Slush is a band that is right up my alley. For starters, I spent a good chunk of my collegiate years reading Russian and Soviet literature, including the likes of Varlam Shalamov (excerpts from Kolyma Tales) and, of course, Solzhenitsyn. The fact that they play some funeral doom with death-doom influences is a plus as well. Oh, and "Bitter" is right there in the album title.

So armed with a tenuous understanding of the stoic way in which protagonists of tales read, shoulders slumped, trudged ever onward despite the horrible yoke of oppression, I think I was able to enjoy this on a couple levels.

One of my Russian Lit professors once remarked that with newfound freedom and having escaped from Tsarist then Communist oppression, sadly modern Russian literature resembled the crap we get in the west, rather than the amazing and moving works of the proud heritage of Pushkin through the authors who later recounted what they endured in the Gulags.

Perhaps the rumors of that spirit's demise were greatly exaggerated. Perhaps that spirit has simply found a new home?

(And now we circle back to Who Dies In Siberian Slush)

The Bitterness Of The Years That Are Lost captures within their music the same mood of sadness, lamentation, and even beauty of their nation's literary past. The album is pretty much standard funeral doom with some death-doom tossed in, but it's not about the style (or lack of innovation of said style), but rather the capturing of a mood and conveying that mood to the listener. In this regard they excel.

The tracks are as one would expect for a funeral doom album - although the band is into the whole brevity thing, well, within the context of the genre. Songs generally clock in in the six and a half to eight minute range, with a couple shorter, instrumental tracks. All in all, seven songs clock in at the (for funeral doom) lightning fast spin time of 45 minutes.

The general song structures are also fairly standard - sloooooow pace, growled vocals, down tuned and distorted guitars? Some of the guitar melodies/solos are at times cringe-worthy, but those shortcomings are made up by the exquisite use of a piano*. The instrument just feels so stark and naked, particularly in context when played alongside the heavily distorted guitars. It captures the bleak melancholy of the poor, solitary bastard soul pitted against the never-ending expanse of the Siberian tundra and its inhuman conditions. The piano shines also during an interlude piece, conveniently dubbed "Interlude."

The album features guest appearance of vocalists of Comatose Vigil, Amber Tears, Elnordia, and Abstract Spirit.

In closing, this album might not contain any thing particularly out there or innovate to the genre (like, say, Fungoid Stream using a whalesong on their latest), but is still evocative, and thus very enjoyable. Insomuch as one can enjoy doom.

File under: soundtrack to a 40 year gulag sentence.

* May or may not be actual piano? could just be a swell keyboard with a really good piano setting. Whatever. The use of that mode stood out, particularly in comparison to the church organ setting we find in acts like Skepticism or Profetus.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 19.02.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 13   Visited by: 222 users
19.02.2011 - 22:06
MechanisT
Account deleted
Geez, how weird can a band name get? That might very well be the reason why I'll check them out sooner or later, regardless of the music...
19.02.2011 - 22:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
It sounds like these guys play something right up my alley.
I'd better check it out.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.02.2011 - 00:01
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Sounds like something I'll have to get a hold of.
20.02.2011 - 01:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Will be looking into this after the awards most likely. A little busy at the moment though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.02.2011 - 12:23
mmm... I would say some tracks are funeral with doom/death influences and others doom/death with funeral influences... I don't want to be picky, but you'll give people the wrong impression, like all the tracks are really slow pace and really funeral. You also fail to mention that every track has a different singer... AkIezor (Comatose Vigil, Abstract Spirit), Stellarghost (Abstract Spirit), Spartak (Elnordia) and Anton (Amber Tears)...
20.02.2011 - 18:59
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Merchant of Doom on 20.02.2011 at 12:23

mmm... I would say some tracks are funeral with doom/death influences and others doom/death with funeral influences... I don't want to be picky, but you'll give people the wrong impression, like all the tracks are really slow pace and really funeral. You also fail to mention that every track has a different singer... AkIezor (Comatose Vigil, Abstract Spirit), Stellarghost (Abstract Spirit), Spartak (Elnordia) and Anton (Amber Tears)...

amended the review to include the bit about the guest appearances. that'll teach me not to open the txt file that accompanies the release.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.02.2011 - 00:24
Cheers...
01.03.2011 - 01:34
ß
Problem?
I wasn't aware they had a full-length out, I better get right on this.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
01.03.2011 - 16:39
Øyvind
Grave Digger
From my experience, bands with unusual names often prove to be great, so I'm definitely checking it out
----
05.03.2011 - 13:24
IronAngel
For once, I decided to just click a review at random. I guess I need to do that more often, this is good stuff.
30.04.2011 - 20:26
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Haha. The band was interviewed for another site and quoted a blurb from this review.

http://kronosmortus.com/node/28455

How can you describe your music in a few words to a stranger?

E.S.: Seriously downtempo death metal with a russian fleur.

Flint: It's a metal funeral march.

Bftd: I'll answer with a great quote from one of the album reviews: ?a soundtrack to a 40-year gulag sentence".
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.04.2011 - 20:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 30.04.2011 at 20:26

Haha. The band was interviewed for another site and quoted a blurb from this review.

http://kronosmortus.com/node/28455

How can you describe your music in a few words to a stranger?

E.S.: Seriously downtempo death metal with a russian fleur.

Flint: It's a metal funeral march.

Bftd: I'll answer with a great quote from one of the album reviews: ?a soundtrack to a 40-year gulag sentence".

Hahaha great...
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.04.2011 - 23:51
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Nice!

also love
Quote:
Bftd: A perfect gig for us is a 2-hour set in pitch-black taiga with -30 C outside and not a single human soul in a 20 km range. I hope we would be able to wake up a few hibernating bears around there.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"

Hits total: 6100 | This month: 10