Metal Storm logo
Last Book You Read

Original post

Posted by Mikyz, 22.02.2011 - 21:14
I realize not as many people read books, as people watch movies and listen to music but I still think it would interesting to see what kind of books our fellow metalheads read. So, I'd like you guys just to give me the name and author of the last book you read along with a brief description of the genre and topic.
I'll start:

Cockroach By Rawi Hage

I don't really know to which category this book belongs to but nevertheless this book perfectly depicts the life of an outsider from the perspective of said outsider. It follows the life of an exile, who migrated to Canada following some kind of middle eastern crisis ( I believe the Lebanese Civil War) , and is living a poor and desperate life, which is contrasted with that of a cockroach. This book depicts how he adapts and copes with the environment, there also is an intricate love story cleverly weaved into the whole debacle. Highly Recommended + The author's writing style is unique, he has very clever, hypocritical and satirical descriptions.

Also If you like something this deep and well written, you should check his other book Deniro's Game.
20.04.2011 - 13:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Deadsoulman on 20.04.2011 at 11:18

If you enjoy that kind of absurd stuff, you might be interested in Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami.The book is split in two different stories that seemingly don't have much to do with each other (or do they?), one "normal" story in a kind of fucked up present Tokyo, the other very strange in a semi-medieval dreamworld. It deals with the power of dreams and self-talk as well as with the inadequacy of some people with the modern world, that kind of stuff. It's a quite bizarre and entertaining read.

It sounds like I might want to make the time for that. Thanks for the rec!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.04.2011 - 16:20
Mikyz

Written by Ragana on 20.04.2011 at 12:21

Written by Mikyz on 20.04.2011 at 08:36

Freakonomics written University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt and New York Times journalist Stephen J. Dubner, it's really fun to read, it analyzes real life situation with economic tools and the result are astonishing.

I was searching for that book not so long time ago as well, but haven't found it (here) yet. I hope I'll get it eventually. That seems to be one of the few interesting books that have something to do with economics.

I has a sequel too btw, Superfreakonomics but I didn't get to read it yet. How come you're not finding it? it's available in every bookstore here
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
21.04.2011 - 19:39
The_Warcult

The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Best book I've read in a long time. Going to pick up the sequal this week. Recommend it to any fans of fantasy novels.
21.04.2011 - 22:28
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Mikyz on 20.04.2011 at 16:20

Written by Ragana on 20.04.2011 at 12:21

Written by Mikyz on 20.04.2011 at 08:36

Freakonomics written University of Chicago economist Steven Levitt and New York Times journalist Stephen J. Dubner, it's really fun to read, it analyzes real life situation with economic tools and the result are astonishing.

I was searching for that book not so long time ago as well, but haven't found it (here) yet. I hope I'll get it eventually. That seems to be one of the few interesting books that have something to do with economics.

I has a sequel too btw, Superfreakonomics but I didn't get to read it yet. How come you're not finding it? it's available in every bookstore here

It's not translated in Latvian therefore you can search for it all you want but you most likely will end up buying it on the internet anyway (and will get it from UK or something). But what is truly shocking is that one wouldn't find a copy of King's "Shining" here; his other books have been translated or sold in English except for this one.
22.04.2011 - 00:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Currently reading a literary mash-up... Android Karenina. half as long as the original, has stuck to the plot points i recall from reading AK over a decade ago. the richie richie Russian types (Oblonsky, Vronsky, Anna, Levin, etc) all have nice android companions. so long as Anna gets hit by a train at the end, i will at least have a smile on my face when closing the back cover.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.04.2011 - 03:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Quirk Classics are incredibly popular here - when I worked at the bookstore we had an entire FOS display merched with hundreds of copies of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, and Android Karenina. A lot of people really enjoy them because they stick to the original story but maintain creativity with the inclusion of a fabled monster or two. I hand-sold a case worth of each title a week when they were first brought to the FOS display; most customers were ones already familiar with the original classics - and of course we have the big university here, so taking advantage of the students was my primary objective.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2011 - 10:49
wormdrink414

Fiction: Just finished Scoop by Evelyn Waugh. It's a bit light, but it's funny. So no complaints.

Non-fiction: Making my way through The Elegant Universe for the 3rd time. Each time I read it I get more and more anxious about the the LHC, though. Hope the people who run it do find the Higgs boson. Seems like all I ever hear is that physicists hope that they won't find it--keep the mystery alive and such. I say fuck you to that. I want answers.
11.05.2011 - 21:58
Bulletdodger

Made a break in my current reading and read Twain's novel "The Mysterious Stranger". Loved it, even though in some places it was too dark, even for my taste, nevertheless a great read.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
12.05.2011 - 02:26
Vombatus
Potorro
Few weeks ago I read Forgotten King Gudú ("Olvidado Rey Gudú") and it was just beyond amazing. I'm not sure it's translated into other languages but if it ain't, it's sad thing.

Epic novel about the story of a kingdom's history, mixing medieval style with a bit of fantasy but it's not at all the typical "fantasy novel" like lotr. The writting style is unique, complex... almost like poetry at some moments, don't know how to describe it. Story itself is great with plotings, (lots) intrigues, wars, incredibly detailed characters (emotional aspect is very developped and realistic) and some brutal/raw moments (twist moments are sometimes very very suprising).

Actually, I just recently checked out a review about A Song Of Fire & Ice, and I found it pretty similar to this one, so next step will be picking up A Game Of Thrones.
13.05.2011 - 16:14
Mikyz

I reread Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club, it's a fast read, I'm a big fan of his prose specially in this book, fast paced and engaging, an absolute page turner. I'm currently reading Yann Martel's Life of Pi, I'll post on here when I'm done reading it.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
29.07.2011 - 15:41
devilmusic

I've recently finished reading Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs, it's probably one of the most messed up books I have ever read but it was definitely interesting! Other than that I've gotten really into supernatural fiction like Cronin's The Passage, will check out his other books over the summer. I'm also looking forward to whatever this is: http://romeospikes.com/. The chapter that is posted looks quite promising.
08.08.2011 - 22:35
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Eragon by Cristopher Paolini.
My favorite fantasy book.
08.08.2011 - 23:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Swedish Death Metal by Daniel Ekeroth.

A total MUST READ for anyone interested in the history of Swedish Death Metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2011 - 02:34
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.08.2011 at 23:33

Just ordered this based on a large number of Recommendations, A real book by a Fan for the fans is what im hearing, Should be good.
09.08.2011 - 14:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.08.2011 at 02:34

Just ordered this based on a large number of Recommendations, A real book by a Fan for the fans is what im hearing, Should be good.

And Daniel also played in a couple of bands himself and was there when it all happened.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.08.2011 - 17:51
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.08.2011 at 14:26

Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.08.2011 at 02:34

And Daniel also played in a couple of bands himself and was there when it all happened.

Just the man for it then. The problem with a lot of books that try to look at music scenes is that they where written by outsiders (not the case here), books like lords of chaos where written by someone who wasn't a part of the scene which means that most of the time they have to just make do with glorified history, If This isn't the case this book should be excellent.
06.06.2012 - 03:10
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
I finished The Great Dinosaur Discoveries as insightful to my keen interest into paleontology as with many other similar books that I read from time to time in the ever gathering collection I have on the subject. I'm in the middle of reading Conrad's Heart Of Darkness and it's bleeding slow....
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

10.06.2012 - 18:36
.Nick

Currently reading George RR Martin's "A Feast for Crows" of the A Song of Ice and Fire series.
So far I thought the other books in the series were better, but this one is still decent.
11.06.2012 - 07:45
Deity

A Sci-fi book called Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

The story is about the fall of The Empire, an empire which basically has control of the galaxy.
Hari Seldon, a scientist, has created a way of predicting the future, but only on huge masses of people.
Seldon predicts the fall of The Empire and sets out to create The Foundation, a way to save all the knowledge and prevent/reduce an age of barbarism.
The story doesn't center on any specific person, but instead skips to different points in time in the foundation.

I've only read the first book of the original trilogy, but I might read the others soon. I'll probably stop at the original 3 since the others were only written due to pressure from the publishers.
27.03.2013 - 18:53
Jpageforever

The last book I read was At the Crossing Places, the second book in the Arthur trilogy. I've really enjoyed the series so far and I'm expecting the third to be really good. I'm big on historical fiction, or even anything taking place around the 1400s and back.
11.05.2013 - 17:17
Bulletdodger

The Nigger of the 'Narcissus' by Joseph Conrad, liked it a lot, but not even close to Heart of Darkness. Reread a lot of Borges stories, I think I will be rereading them my whole life.
----
Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können.
David Hilbert
12.05.2013 - 17:30
Sophist

As I lay dying by William Faulkner
Enjoyed it a lot, it really deserves to be called southern gothic, those characters, their thoughts, the ending, just damn.
12.05.2013 - 19:54
Mad Arab666

The hobbit
Well I re read it, a forgot quite a bit tHat actually happened in the book, forgot how annoying bombur was (well for me)
----
Bring up the wolves head!
15.05.2013 - 11:54
Sophist

"In Spite of Everyone", written by one of my professors, a dozen or so connected short stories. Very simple and effective style, but the protagonist and characters with positive traits are similar appearance-wise. Still, it was an enjoyable read and it had a nice happy ending, almost like a fairy tale.
15.05.2013 - 23:24
Aseliot

I am reading The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. Currently at book 12, the end is in sight lol.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
16.05.2013 - 01:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Only what I need in ''school''
Ann-Helen Laestadius - ''SMS Från Soppero
a sami orgin girl lives in Solna and get SMS from Soppero what is villadge near Kiruna, sms was in saami, and she went and visit her grandmother and relative sthere

Karin Alvtegen - Saknad
A rich ''aritocratic'' background woman has blamed for mudder, she is runaway from age 17 after mother forced her give a way child
she is on street, and in end killer was catched, he was using religuse motive, well sems her son helped her what she never know... I got that feeling after reading it

Karin Brunk Holmqvist - Kafe Med Musik
Boring book, pensionars from Ystad or whateber south decide go to xmass market in Munchen, all way was caffe whit alcohol, boozers

Åsa Larrson - Solstorm
redaing, events are in kiruna
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.05.2013 - 18:42
Sophist

"Под Игото" (Under the Yoke) by Ivan Vazov.
It starts out slow, really builds up, I guess you could mind how the patriotic aspects are inflated (but then again the book was written a decade after the april uprising of 1876 in Bulgaria, and it shares some similarities), but the final part of the book and the ending... the ending man, it reminds me of Hemingway's in "For whom the bell tolls", except it's even more manly.
01.06.2013 - 21:22
Aseliot

I am currently still reading the wheel of time, now at book twelve. Soon to be thirtheen as i am at page 725.
----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
05.06.2013 - 11:06
no one
Account deleted
The meeting of the waters, caiseal mor
06.06.2013 - 18:07
Bulletdodger

Finished As I Lay Dying by Faulkner, it's an excellent book.
----
David Hilbert