10. Violent Revolution
11. People Of The Lie
12. Europe After The Pain

The best Thrash Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Dates of release:
Europe - June 1st,
North America - June 5th.

Produced, recorded and mixed by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.
Mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, NYC, USA.
Additional recording by Johan Örnborg.
Drum technician - Tobias Strandvik.
Guitar technician - Marc Niedersberg.
Pre-production recordings and programming by Tim Schuldt, Sky von Hoff, Marc Görtz and Dominic Paraskevopoulos.
Zombie-choirs by Ronnie Milianowicz, Uffe Bejstam and Tommy Johansson, Sami Yli-Sirniö, Matthias Kollerk, Jens Bogren.

Cover artwork by Wes Benscotter.
Additional cover art by Jan Meininghaus.

Guest review by
TerrorZone
Rating:
Prior to the release, frontman Mille Petrozza claimed that Phantom Antichrist would be the "most epic" Kreator album ever. He went further saying that Phantom Antichrist is better than anything released by the Big Four in recent years. These words seemed to be empty rhetoric at first, but after being taken on the "epic" journey through Phantom Antichrist, the impression is that Petrozza and Co. have succeeded in fulfilling their promises.

Read more ››
published 02.12.2012 | Comments (10)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Kreator! Aaaaaaahhhhh! That is all I need to state to introduce this review. 13th studio album from the reigning kings of Teutonic Thrash Metal and rightfully regarded as one of the most respected Metal bands of all time. Anybody wants to disagree with that? I thought not. It is refreshing to see a musical style best known for its impact on the 1990s still being alive and well in 2012.

Read more ››
published 16.06.2013 | Comments (4)

Guest review by
Danroush
Rating:
A masterclass in mixing the aggression of thrash with the production quality of the 21st century.

Read more ››
published 18.03.2019 | Comments (1)

Found in 72 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 123   Visited by: 1684 users
02.06.2012 - 03:50
Void Eater
Account deleted
Something interesting I noticed about Violent Revolution and onwards Kreator is that there's no general consensus of what the best album out of them is. It seems like whenever they have a new album out, just as much people think it's better than the last one as there are that think it's inferior to the last one.
02.06.2012 - 16:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Shock: Of course, and you are entitled to think that. I however, prefer "In War And Pieces". lol

Written by Guest on 02.06.2012 at 03:50

Something interesting I noticed about Violent Revolution and onwards Kreator is that there's no general consensus of what the best album out of them is. It seems like whenever they have a new album out, just as much people think it's better than the last one as there are that think it's inferior to the last one.

Yep... I think the only general consensus about Kreator's career, is that the 90's was a low point for them. The vast majority of Kreator fans do hold that view.

As for the last 4 albums, these are how I'd rank them, in order:

Enemy Of God - 9.2
Violent Revolution - 8.5
Phantom Antichrist - 8.0
Hordes Of Chaos - 7.0
02.06.2012 - 23:59
RavenKing
Written by Angelic Storm on 02.06.2012 at 02:49

It still baffles me that some people can have so much trouble dealing with other people's ratings of an album that they themselves love... Why do others' opinions of an album matter so much to some people? It should have no impact or effect on how you yourself view the album...

Agreed. I won't say that I don't give a fuck at what other people think but it has no impact on my opinion of an album.
If I love it, I will still love it no matter how many people will come and say that it sucks.
And if I think it sucks, nothing people say will make me like the album.
That's what I call sticking to your tastes and being coherent.

Anyway, I don't give a damn at ratings and never rate albums on a scale myself.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.06.2012 - 00:48
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:

I don't get what your problem is. I know what 8.5 means and I think it's too low. End of story.

8.5 is betwwen "8 - meaning very good" and "9 - meaning excellent". Both "very good" and " excellent" are superlatives. So how can this not be positive enough of a rating?
03.06.2012 - 02:34
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by John Shock on 02.06.2012 at 03:46

Written by Absak on 27.05.2012 at 14:35

I honestly think Sodom's and Destruction's latest albums are miles better than this. This completely bored me.

I though Destruction's "Day Of Reckoning" so booring, it's the same always! This at least as some varieties! And Sodom's "In War And Pieces" is a nice album, but i think this still better, but that's my opinion right?

Sodom prevails over both, then Destruction (Whose 80's stuff goes over modern Kreator) Then Kreator (whose 80's stuff is slightly better than 80's Destruction)
03.06.2012 - 21:22
Rating: 8
.Nick
I found this to be a very enjoyable album, I like it better than the new Overkill.
2012 seems to be the year where all the old thrashers are bringing out new work.
03.06.2012 - 21:34
Rating: 5
Nicko's Nose
What a piece of shit... and I loved Hordes Of Chaos.
04.06.2012 - 21:18
ChrisWinther
Really awesome album, but god they have become very melodic
11.06.2012 - 22:50
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This is actually a really good album, and i don't really care for thrash metal enough to say that often, so you know that this album did make an impact for sure. Nowhere close to topping Ne Obliviscaris' Portal of I imo, but really solid nonetheless.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.06.2012 - 20:31
elseif
I love it, great melodies!
14.06.2012 - 20:57
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Deadmeat on 01.06.2012 at 22:56

i also dont want to argue. on the other hand i have to say that i dont believe every kreator album is a masterpiece. generally i have very high "standards" for what i expect from this band and many times i am harsh with them.

you've scored every studio release since 2000 a "10" - how exactly is that harsh or an indication of high standards"?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.06.2012 - 21:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Pfffffffffff Hahahahahahahahahaha
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
14.06.2012 - 22:00
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I like it, but it is far from a consistent album; it has its moments, but it's not a mind-blowing album from start to finish. The solos are ok, nothing really special there. I was a little irritated by the samey vocal delivery; it's not bad, but it gets kind of annoying by the second half of the album. Also, some terrible shrieks like at the end of "United in Hate" just make me shrug my shoulders.

Given all this, "Until Our Paths Cross Again" is probably my favorite track on the album. It sounds genuinely epic, has that uneven passage after the solo, then a chorus, which brings the song back to where it started off. I liked that structure.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
15.06.2012 - 11:24
Rating: 10
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by BitterCOld on 14.06.2012 at 20:57

Written by Deadmeat on 01.06.2012 at 22:56

i also dont want to argue. on the other hand i have to say that i dont believe every kreator album is a masterpiece. generally i have very high "standards" for what i expect from this band and many times i am harsh with them.

you've scored every studio release since 2000 a "10" - how exactly is that harsh or an indication of high standards"?

well 1st of all as you can see i dont do it often with bands (to give many "10" ratings). i just tend to like very much the general "concept" of this band. their lyrics, their musicianship and of course their albums. on the other hand i'll give you one example: after listening to this one and finding it SO GREAT i wanna listen to Hordes Of Chaos Again cause i probably will give to it a "9" after this album. i just want to "check" it first.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
15.06.2012 - 11:32
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by K✞ulu on 14.06.2012 at 22:00

Also, some terrible shrieks like at the end of "United in Hate" just make me shrug my shoulders.

1. if you are mentioning on the part that mille screams "united in hate" without music behind it's a fact that he is not 25 years old any more and his screams are not THAT great anymore. but he is passionate in screaming and he is more passionate live and i am sure that when they'll play this song live, this moment will be awesome and all the people will scream together. i wanna say that surely he didnt do it this way because it just "sound great". but i agree that there may was no need to do it on the album.

2. about "until...". it is surely a great song with AMAZING lyrics and the amazing one minute outbreak (3.00-4.00) but it is really strange that this is the fav song for someone who likes thrash when there are much more powerful songs on the album
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
16.06.2012 - 00:57
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Deadmeat on 15.06.2012 at 11:32

Written by K✞ulu on 14.06.2012 at 22:00

Also, some terrible shrieks like at the end of "United in Hate" just make me shrug my shoulders.

2. about "until...". it is surely a great song with AMAZING lyrics and the amazing one minute outbreak (3.00-4.00) but it is really strange that this is the fav song for someone who likes thrash when there are much more powerful songs on the album

I also liked the title track pretty much thoroughly; "United in Hate" had its moments, "The Few, the Proud, the Broken" has a cool breakdown + non-trivial structure; that's why I liked it as well. Overall, the epic "battle hymns" mode throughout the whole album is also a bit annoying.

Why I liked the last track the most, I guess, is because I am not looking so much for "powerful" songs in the first place, but for interesting ideas and innovation; although, of course, some "smart" brutality is very welcome.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.06.2012 - 08:37
Metal_Buff
Well it's not the front to back masterpiece they pulled off with "Enemy of God", but the high points are right there. Overall I must say that there is actually a lot of variety, but I wish they'd gone with one or two more at full speed! In the end I'm not sure this will stand as an album for me, but man will it rock some fuckin playlists!

Check Out 'United in Hate' and 'The Few, The Proud, The Broken' for some killer riffs, and pissed-off lyrics, that's what Kreator is for!
19.06.2012 - 19:13
Rating: 9
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Kreator continue with their melodic thrash metal approach on this album again and... I think they do it quite well. Surely it doesn't sound as brutal as not only their early works but even as "Enemy of God" and it makes this album more... light-weight. On the other hand, I respect the band for trying to keep up with the spirit of the time without losing the essential core of their music.
It's hard to name a few favourites but I'll try - Phantom Antichrist, Civilization Collapse, United In Hate, Your Heaven My Hell and Until Our Paths Cross Again (a bit unusual song for Kreator and that's probably why I like it).
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
21.06.2012 - 19:25
Warman
Erotic Stains
I love it. Kreator is in my opinion maybe the only metal band from the '80s that are actually better in this millenium.
----
03.07.2012 - 20:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'm incredibly torn by this. At times some of the thrashing aggression and soaring melodies makes me think this has top-10 potential, but then they get a little too melodic for their own good and the lyrics read like a fuckin' 14-year-old's attempt at writing conscious hip hop rhymes. If they stuck with the straightforward aggression and groove incorporating melodic leads into the mix for some necessary catchy appeal, I would have easily given this an 8/10. Instead I'm giving this a high 5 (not the good kind) simply because they tend to confuse themselves with a power metal band at times and it really distracts from their otherwise ballsy thrash.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.07.2012 - 00:57
RavenKing
I really like this new album. I know it's a matter of tastes but, Imo, it's the best Kreator album since "Coma Of Souls". It's quite catchy but I don't think it sounds weak in any way.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
05.07.2012 - 02:09
Vikcen
Metálico
Really very good this last, in the same level of Enemy of God in my opinion. Definitely i have to say that i'm totally hypnotized by the music that makes this people .

Death to the world!
11.07.2012 - 19:01
SceneryOfLoss
Really nice surprise!
26.07.2012 - 19:22
Big-Al
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.07.2012 at 20:30

I'm incredibly torn by this. At times some of the thrashing aggression and soaring melodies makes me think this has top-10 potential, but then they get a little too melodic for their own good and the lyrics read like a fuckin' 14-year-old's attempt at writing conscious hip hop rhymes. If they stuck with the straightforward aggression and groove incorporating melodic leads into the mix for some necessary catchy appeal, I would have easily given this an 8/10. Instead I'm giving this a high 5 (not the good kind) simply because they tend to confuse themselves with a power metal band at times and it really distracts from their otherwise ballsy thrash.

KREATOR has always been messing with "other" styles... death in the 80's and industrial in the 90's...
----

I drink moosepiss
27.07.2012 - 04:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Big-Al on 26.07.2012 at 19:22
KREATOR has always been messing with "other" styles... death in the 80's and industrial in the 90's...

Not sure what your point is. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.07.2012 - 07:09
Big-Al
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.07.2012 at 04:29

Written by Big-Al on 26.07.2012 at 19:22

Not sure what your point is. :/

cos you are saying that they are being distracted from being an all out thrash band due to the "power metal" bits. But few of their albums have been sterile enough to simply be just pure thrash with out Millie venturing into other styles for influence.

Anyways, just make up your mind after giving the album another listen and after watching the Phantom Antichrist music video.
----

I drink moosepiss
27.07.2012 - 15:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Big-Al on 27.07.2012 at 07:09
cos you are saying that they are being distracted from being an all out thrash band due to the "power metal" bits. But few of their albums have been sterile enough to simply be just pure thrash with out Millie venturing into other styles for influence. Anyways, just make up your mind after giving the album another listen and after watching the Phantom Antichrist music video.

What they've done in the past has no bearing on what I think of them in the present. Whatever other styles they incorporated into their earlier material obviously worked for them, whereas this time around I feel like it's more of a distraction than anything. As for the music video, I've already seen it - and I'd probably find that song more enjoyable if I hadn't.
----
29.07.2012 - 19:35
Zap
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.07.2012 at 15:30

As for the music video, I've already seen it - and I'd probably find that song more enjoyable if I hadn't.

That video was horrible, and didn't go with the song at all. I think bands shouldn't make videos unless it's something like Mastodon's Deathbound.
31.07.2012 - 22:27
Big-Al
Anyways, I love their post apocalyptic feel, no mater which Kreator album I'm listening to.
----

I drink moosepiss
01.08.2012 - 23:19
JÄY
Metal slave
I've loved this band for years...but have no excitement for this release at all....I liaten to the first (real) song and am ready to turn it off.

Hits total: 44496 | This month: 63