Metal Storm logo
Bugs/Suggestions - Metal Storm 4

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 28.02.2011 - 21:06
Hi all,

Welcome to Metal Storm version 4.0! You've always known us as an ever-evolving website and today is no different from any other day. We can image this change may seem huge & sudden, but trust us, you'll get used to it. Change is always difficult, but just give it some time and we'll all be fine.

There may be some initial bugs & flaws though, so please report those here. Suggestions are also welcome, but please be sure to keep your criticism constructive.

Thanks in advance and happy browsing!
02.03.2011 - 21:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Troy - nop because members whit letter b and others are in both coloms
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.03.2011 - 21:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Shoulda used numbers. Thanks Array.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.03.2011 - 22:43
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
I'll just keep posting stuff that comes to my mind assuming that somebody still cares.

These ones go under suggestions:

1. When clicking 'login' (as in clicking it, not using the overlay), I'd be convenient to have the email field focused automatically so you can start typing right away.
2. If you gave the elements on the frontpage unique id's, it would be easier to hide them using client rules in Adblock or greasemonkey. I usually hide the advertising banners like the Accept or MS-Awards ones. Now I'd also like to hide staff picks and supported events. Unique id's would help there.
3. Could you please also date the news items in the sidebar? I know the old format is still there when you click on news but I like the ability to see what's new at a glance when I'm not using my RSS agregator.

Edit: Also, Bad English, there's a separate thread for questions I believe.
----
02.03.2011 - 22:48
Darkside Momo
Retired
elite
Written by corrupt on 02.03.2011 at 22:43

I'll just keep posting stuff that comes to my mind assuming that somebody still cares.

Hey! Just because no one answered you - yet - doesn't mean your efforts don't go unnoticed or un appreciated, far from it
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
03.03.2011 - 03:08
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff

2. If you gave the elements on the frontpage unique id's, it would be easier to hide them using client rules in Adblock or greasemonkey. I usually hide the advertising banners like the Accept or MS-Awards ones. Now I'd also like to hide staff picks and supported events. Unique id's would help there.

Now, why would we actually want to make it easier for you to hide banners to content that we worked hard at creating? Ads also make us money that we use to keep this site running.
03.03.2011 - 09:59
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by jupitreas on 03.03.2011 at 03:08
Now, why would we actually want to make it easier for you to hide banners to content that we worked hard at creating? Ads also make us money that we use to keep this site running.

Well, for once, there's not a single person I know that doesn't use an ad blocker. Ads are the worst abomination the web has spawned and are a nuisance for the user of every website. And there's principle involved too. I run several root servers myself, paying for all of them myself and I wouldn't think of bothering my users with ads. Therefore I don't see any reason to make my web experience slower and more annoying by looking at ads on other sites all the time. Plus, it's not like the ads on MS are exactly unobstrusive. If you ran google ads people might say ok and activate them because they don't distract. But as I recon, this whole new layout was created to get more attention to the content, while you still have ads displayed that flash and move and do all but help focusing on content. If MS is really in need of money, there are more likable ways to get it. Start a fundraiser and let people donate. I come from a strong opensource background and happily donate to any project I think worth supporting. MS is definitely one of them, especially if it meant no ads for everyone, or even just members. And regarding the hiding of content. It's not like many people will do that. I suggested it because I usually visit a website for a certain purpose. On MS it's the news and not much else. I don't read many reviews and I especially don't pay any attention to supported events (whatever is so hard about those anyway). But hiding containers based on site structure can backfire whenever said structure changes even slightly. So by giving containers purpose-related ids (which is best practice anyway) you make that easier for me, it's close to no work for you and you won't see a disadvantage. Everybody wins.

Written by corrupt on 02.03.2011 at 10:47
Also, on my work PC (Windows XP, Firefox 3.6.12), the overlay menus don't align with #menu. Setting line-height from 40 to 45 in #menu fixes things here but I haven't seen this on any other machine. And browsing the site with IE6 for confirmation unveils that the overlays aren't even displayed there.

here it is
----
03.03.2011 - 13:58
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Bad English on 02.03.2011 at 21:08

Members online is in 2 colloms, how does it has been organised I saw not in aplafebethical order, how? Those wholog in leither shown in secend collum?

I cant even see it. Where is this elusive feature?
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.03.2011 - 14:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Himann on 03.03.2011 at 13:58

Written by Bad English on 02.03.2011 at 21:08

Members online is in 2 colloms, how does it has been organised I saw not in aplafebethical order, how? Those wholog in leither shown in secend collum?

I cant even see it. Where is this elusive feature?

@home page at same possitrion where it was, you cant see when using forum
----

apos;'
[image]
03.03.2011 - 14:36
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Aha, thanks. Went to have a look and realized that the home page looks somewhat blaring. Too many large fonts jumping out at me. Large italicised fonts and large bold uppercase fonts seem to take away from the look. Not sure what is scrolling in front of the banner there but perhaps this could be taken a bit lower or something so that the banner is seen clearly.
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
03.03.2011 - 15:12
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
staff
Written by corrupt on 03.03.2011 at 09:59

Well, for once, there's not a single person I know that doesn't use an ad blocker.

All your friends must be geeks.

Quote:
Ads are the worst abomination the web has spawned and are a nuisance for the user of every website. And there's principle involved too. I run several root servers myself, paying for all of them myself and I wouldn't think of bothering my users with ads. Therefore I don't see any reason to make my web experience slower and more annoying by looking at ads on other sites all the time. Plus, it's not like the ads on MS are exactly unobstrusive. If you ran google ads people might say ok and activate them because they don't distract. But as I recon, this whole new layout was created to get more attention to the content, while you still have ads displayed that flash and move and do all but help focusing on content.

I dont particularly like ads myself but they are a necessary evil here. We're actually going to overhaul the ad system soon and perhaps switch to google ads for some of our ad needs. Either way, MS is a business. It is not an open source project, it is an online magazine and it works like any online publisher. Though not a particularly profitable one (actually, atm, not profitable at all) we're still a business and we do need some profits to stay alive.

Quote:
If MS is really in need of money, there are more likable ways to get it. Start a fundraiser and let people donate. I come from a strong opensource background and happily donate to any project I think worth supporting. MS is definitely one of them, especially if it meant no ads for everyone, or even just members.

We tried that, didnt work at all.

Quote:
And regarding the hiding of content. It's not like many people will do that. I suggested it because I usually visit a website for a certain purpose. On MS it's the news and not much else. I don't read many reviews and I especially don't pay any attention to supported events (whatever is so hard about those anyway). But hiding containers based on site structure can backfire whenever said structure changes even slightly. So by giving containers purpose-related ids (which is best practice anyway) you make that easier for me, it's close to no work for you and you won't see a disadvantage. Everybody wins.

We will not make it easier for you to hide content that we've worked hard at creating. If all you care about is news, just use our RSS channel.
04.03.2011 - 15:26
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by jupitreas on 03.03.2011 at 15:12

Written by corrupt on 03.03.2011 at 09:59

Well, for once, there's not a single person I know that doesn't use an ad blocker.
All your friends must be geeks.

Not at all. Most of them not even powerusers. But they all started to wonder one day if one couldn't do something about all the ads. And Adblock Plus for Firefox is the most downloaded addon with over 100 million downloads overall. So it's advertised a lot and it doesn't take much insight into computers to find it. Even my father found it on his own.

Anyway, I got another one. The event page now wastes a ton of space right in the middle of the screen:

I'd suggest, making a modification to this:

I suspect that the top left div there will grow vertically as more content is added so that new space there isn't as fixed as the one there is now.
----
04.03.2011 - 17:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 04.03.2011 at 17:38

The quotation marks written in italics, in musicians profiles, are bit off the track.

samples:
Alexi "Wildchild" Laiho
Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell

I don't see anything wrong.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
04.03.2011 - 21:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
^ now I see the problem, you meant the "header" name - for some reason I assumed you were referring to the name adjacent to the member's picture, not above it.

And yes, that is a problem. Something else of note - for reviews, the review score and the word "rating" are way too close together.
----
11.03.2011 - 21:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
When I try to watch any video in MS I click watch, one vide and it it opens me white blak link where are written FALSE
----

apos;'
[image]
12.03.2011 - 06:58
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
elite
I have a little suggestion, don't know what you think about, but sometimes can be useful, just adding the year of the release on the Review list , we have a new/upcoming releases session which is useful but i think this can useful too.
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
16.03.2011 - 14:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ivan - I was edditing my profile and I saw delite account option, what will hepen if I click on it? My account automaticly be delited?
----

apos;'
[image]
16.03.2011 - 14:25
Himann
Orm KrigGud
LOL, why do you want to delete your account K7?
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
16.03.2011 - 14:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Himann on 16.03.2011 at 14:25

I dont I saw a option, it can hepen acidently ... in alcohihol in blodstream
----

apos;'
[image]
16.03.2011 - 15:00
Himann
Orm KrigGud
Written by Bad English on 16.03.2011 at 14:49

Written by Himann on 16.03.2011 at 14:25

I dont I saw a option, it can hepen acidently ... in alcohihol in blodstream

I think it will probably ask for a confirmation.
----

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
16.03.2011 - 15:48
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Bad English on 16.03.2011 at 14:19

Ivan - I was edditing my profile and I saw delite account option, what will hepen if I click on it? My account automaticly be delited?

Where's the bug or the suggestion in that? You do know threads are usually dedicated to a certain topic right? There's a thread explicitly labeled The Quick Questions Thread.
----
16.03.2011 - 21:00
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite

Just click it... y'know, just for fun. What can possibly go wrong, right?
----
Your favorite band sucks.
16.03.2011 - 22:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Thryce on 16.03.2011 at 21:00

Just click it... y'know, just for fun. What can possibly go wrong, right?

No I dont want to try thats why I ask it
----

apos;'
[image]
17.03.2011 - 02:14
Elodie Artour
Slania
@K7: Don't listen to him! Else, we'll get to lose too many good laughs.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
02.04.2011 - 13:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
3. Could you please also date the news items in the sidebar?

Good job there.
----
07.04.2011 - 15:32
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
One other thing. You created 'collapse' buttons on the box headers (like the 'news' box or the 'shoutbox' box). They behave contrary to user expectation based on previous UI experience. Usually you expect the button you used to collapse something to expand it afterwards, thereby functioning as a collapse/expand toggle. That behavior can be observed for example in Microsoft Windows' tree views (the [ + ] and [ - ] elements) as well as pretty much any website exposing such controls. A popular example would be gmails recently introduced navigation header (Mail, Contacts, Tasks).
I suggest, changing to the behavior I just described and switching the icon between v and ^ at the same time.

Right now, the header highlight disappears after collapsing and the links can be used to expand. Following my description, the highligh should stay and the expand button should expand the tab collapsed previously, while the other links should directly expand into their tabs.
----
13.04.2011 - 18:42
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Guest on 13.04.2011 at 17:50

This kind of a system would eliminate cases like this: recent Opeth news

Just eliminating the oh-so-funny ironic remarks in news posts would do much of the trick. No reader needs to be concerned with either the number of people submitting the news or the approving staff-members personal thoughts on it. I wonder if those members each received a PM by a certain staffer taunting them for their submissions.
----
13.04.2011 - 19:22
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by Guest on 13.04.2011 at 18:58

That wasn't exactly my point.

I got your point, it's a good one considering the system it refers to. Mine however is, that a user of the page shouldn't even see those things.
----
14.04.2011 - 14:24
Thryce
Retired Staff
elite
Written by corrupt on 13.04.2011 at 18:42

Just eliminating the oh-so-funny ironic remarks in news posts would do much of the trick. No reader needs to be concerned with either the number of people submitting the news or the approving staff-members personal thoughts on it.

Here's the thing: we really appreciate user-submitted content because, believe it or not, content is what a webzine is all about. So it's only a form of decency to give those contributors some kind of credit for their time and effort, no? I mean, you credited Valentin B for testing your modding thingy too, right?

And yes, a news bit submitted by six different people is not an everyday occurrence indeed. So clearly that was a majorly important event. Don't see the irony in that at all.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
15.04.2011 - 21:55
0rpheus
Edit profile>Signature, it says Max 255 characters but in fact It doesn't show more than 200 characters in Signature.
----
I would prefer not to.
16.04.2011 - 02:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
*test*
----