Metal Storm logo
Bugs/Suggestions - Metal Storm 4

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 28.02.2011 - 21:06
Hi all,

Welcome to Metal Storm version 4.0! You've always known us as an ever-evolving website and today is no different from any other day. We can image this change may seem huge & sudden, but trust us, you'll get used to it. Change is always difficult, but just give it some time and we'll all be fine.

There may be some initial bugs & flaws though, so please report those here. Suggestions are also welcome, but please be sure to keep your criticism constructive.

Thanks in advance and happy browsing!
16.04.2011 - 02:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by 0rpheus on 15.04.2011 at 21:55

Edit profile>Signature, it says Max 255 characters but in fact It doesn't show more than 200 characters in Signature.

I get 255. I just typed in 254 characters (1212121212...) with a 0 on the end for 255. The 0 appeared at the end of my signature.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.04.2011 - 03:00
0rpheus

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2011 at 02:48

Written by 0rpheus on 15.04.2011 at 21:55

Edit profile>Signature, it says Max 255 characters but in fact It doesn't show more than 200 characters in Signature.

I get 255. I just typed in 254 characters (1212121212...) with a 0 on the end for 255. The 0 appeared at the end of my signature.

Well, I wrote it down instead of copy/paste and it works fine. Thanks for your feedback.
----
I would prefer not to.
16.04.2011 - 03:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
No problem!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.04.2011 - 03:19
0rpheus

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2011 at 03:03

No problem!

But I had to remove some letters with accent... I think I got it since for example é is actually U+00C9 and so it's not counted as 1 character, I'm not experienced in such things but I hope I'm right!
----
I would prefer not to.
16.04.2011 - 03:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by 0rpheus on 16.04.2011 at 03:19

But I had to remove some letters with accent... I think I got it since for example é is actually U+00C9 and so it's not counted as 1 character, I'm not experienced in such things but I hope I'm right!

Alt codes count against your 255-word signature cap as far as I know.
----
16.04.2011 - 11:19
corrupt
With a lowercase c

No problem!

I guess the database saves the signature as varchar(255). And it seems that it's not using UTF-8. Resulting in the databse assuming one character to be one byte. Seeing that you come from Egypt, I'd say there's a good chance you entered multi-byte characters (unicode or utf-8). You can check how many of those are within the ascii standard and use those instead. For those that aren't, you'll have to count from two to four bytes. But keep in mind that most dbms don't support characters wider than two bytes.
Your example of é however is part of the extended ascii table and has the code 130.

Maybe Ivan or Ivor can comment on the encoding, the database uses? We've had problems with that before. Last year a few of us couldn't submit articles and stuff unless our browsers were set to transmit in ISO 8859-1.
----
17.04.2011 - 11:03
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by corrupt on 16.04.2011 at 11:19

No problem!

I guess the database saves the signature as varchar(255). And it seems that it's not using UTF-8. Resulting in the databse assuming one character to be one byte. Seeing that you come from Egypt, I'd say there's a good chance you entered multi-byte characters (unicode or utf-8). You can check how many of those are within the ascii standard and use those instead. For those that aren't, you'll have to count from two to four bytes. But keep in mind that most dbms don't support characters wider than two bytes.
Your example of é however is part of the extended ascii table and has the code 130.

Maybe Ivan or Ivor can comment on the encoding, the database uses? We've had problems with that before. Last year a few of us couldn't submit articles and stuff unless our browsers were set to transmit in ISO 8859-1.

Yes, the charset is indeed iso-8859-1. Today, I would've of course used UTF-8, but switching the website/db to UTF-8 now would be huge pain
17.04.2011 - 11:50
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Ivan on 17.04.2011 at 11:03

Yes, the charset is indeed iso-8859-1. Today, I would've of course used UTF-8, but switching the website/db to UTF-8 now would be huge pain

Hm. I don't have a clue what MS' internal structure looks like of course, but usually coverting a database from whatever ISO encoding to UTF-8 is a mere matter of dumping it, converting the dump with tools like iconv and re-importing it. I've done that a couple of times, never with data of this magnitude of course. But it's a four-liner in most cases.
What a pain it is to convert the actual page after that I have no idea. But if MS' data layer is well structured, maybe things can be made easier by the use of content filters.
----
19.04.2011 - 01:33
Elodie Artour
Slania
I think what corrupt was previously trying to say was that whenever you put an ironic comment when posting news about some band, it does seem inappropriate. Same goes for (just giving a random example) the issue with Anette Olzon giving birth to a baby: "If someone cares..." Well, some fans actually do care about things like that. :

I don't really favour that personal approach, either.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
19.04.2011 - 11:08
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Guest on 13.04.2011 at 18:58

Written by corrupt on 13.04.2011 at 18:42

Written by Guest on 13.04.2011 at 17:50

This kind of a system would eliminate cases like this: recent Opeth news

Just eliminating the oh-so-funny ironic remarks in news posts would do much of the trick. No reader needs to be concerned with either the number of people submitting the news or the approving staff-members personal thoughts on it. I wonder if those members each received a PM by a certain staffer taunting them for their submissions.

That wasn't exactly my point. I'd like to see the system more user-friendly, meaning news-senders won't have to bother if the same news are already sent or not.
So in that Opeth-case, which was my example, Kriegsphilosoph's, Akke920's, Morteza Numb's, Bitch Boy's and skrätte's work was sort of 'futile' (if we drop out the positive things, like learning editing the news etc.). If they had been noticed that "Opeth has a news update already" they wouldn't have sent anything.

There's also another side of this subject; some news may go unsent, if a user or two thinks "i guess someone has already sent this news" but that's not the case. If they had have the chance to check out if it's sent or not, they would have known what to do.

On the page where you submit news there's a list of previously posted ones (for this band), which includes news that are pending (waiting to be checked). I don't know how it can be any easier to check if your news have already been posted or not.
24.04.2011 - 20:52
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Me again. If not for some actual change then just for the heck of it.

Two things:

• Some parts of the page haven't been brought up to the new standard yet. There's the features explained page that still shows pictures of an early version of MSv3 and the 'site tour' link in the main menu points to the frontpage.

• Could the <input type="text"> that is the shoutbox please be turned into a <textarea>? That one has bugged me for years. I've tried doing it in modstorm but since the whole shoutbox, including the form (why is beyond me though) is fetched from the server everytime one posts, I'd have to hook into the ajax request too which I'd like to avoid for performance reasons.

regards.
  • ----
    08.06.2011 - 16:42
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    When I was submitting a review, a preview feature did not work for me neither in firefox 4 for in chrome: just a grey frame, and nothing else.
    ----
    Savor what you feel and what you see
    Things that may not seem important now
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
    08.06.2011 - 19:12
    corrupt
    With a lowercase c
    Written by K✞ulu on 08.06.2011 at 16:42

When I was submitting a review, a preview feature did not work for me neither in firefox 4 for in chrome: just a grey frame, and nothing else.

Is that in any way reproducible? As far as I know you would be the first with this problem. Can you give us more details?
    ----
    08.06.2011 - 19:46
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Apparently the problem is with the [user] code. Most others seem work fine, but when added [user] Lyrinan [/user], the thing crashed.

sorry for the terrible quality; it gets better if you zoom or save image in though
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.06.2011 - 21:18
    corrupt
    With a lowercase c
    Written by K✞ulu on 08.06.2011 at 19:46

Apparently the problem is with the [user] code. Most others seem work fine, but when added [user] Lyrinan [/user], the thing crashed.

sorry for the terrible quality; it gets better if you zoom or save image in though

OK, we'll look into it, thank you. Meanwhile, have you tried [user_id]? It's the better one anyway because here on MS, any user can change his name. Only the user id remains constant. So if you want to reference a user, visit their profile and copy their id from the URL.

Edit: OK it seems that was a stupid suggestion of mine. No bbcode works in the preview at all. But if it does, [user_id] is still the better way to go
    ----
    08.06.2011 - 22:11
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Written by corrupt on 08.06.2011 at 21:18

OK, we'll look into it, thank you. Meanwhile, have you tried [user_id]? It's the better one anyway because here on MS, any user can change his name. Only the user id remains constant. So if you want to reference a user, visit their profile and copy their id from the URL.

Edit: OK it seems that was a stupid suggestion of mine. No bbcode works in the preview at all. But if it does, [user_id] is still the better way to go

[user_id] is useful thing, but again, it does not work in the preview frame. I think most stuff (if not all) works, besides these [user] and [user_id] codes...
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

08.06.2011 - 22:26
    corrupt
    With a lowercase c
    Written by K✞ulu on 08.06.2011 at 22:11

Written by corrupt on 08.06.2011 at 21:18

[user_id] is useful thing, but again, it does not work in the preview frame. I think most stuff (if not all) works, besides these [user] and [user_id] codes...

You're right. I just tried all bbcodes we have and it's indeed just [user] and [user_id] that don't work. I could also have narrowed the problem down the piece of code causing this but I can't fix it myself. So you will have to wait for Ivan to look into it.
    ----
    11.06.2011 - 22:55
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Just one observation: when I go to Dream Theater and scroll down to look at upcoming shows, the show at Weert, the Netherlands, which takes place on July, 8th-10th (but Dream Theater play there on the 10th) is listed before events on the 8th and 9th.

Three festivals start on the 8th: Bospop, Sonisphere, and Night of the Prog. The latter two last two days, and Bospop lasts three days. I do not know whether this is somehow correlated, but that's what I noticed.

Here, nevertheless, the events are listed correctly, but you cannot see on which date Dream Theater are playing there.

Well, that's it.
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.06.2011 - 03:31
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Written by K✞ulu on 11.06.2011 at 22:55

Just one observation: when I go to Dream Theater and scroll down to look at upcoming shows, the show at Weert, the Netherlands, which takes place on July, 8th-10th (but Dream Theater play there on the 10th) is listed before events on the 8th and 9th.

I don't seem to have that problem.
    ----
    12.06.2011 - 09:17
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Hmm, what I have now is 9th, 10th, 8th... Yesterday it was 10th, 8th, 9th. Maybe it has something to do with attendance of those events, but, unfortunately, I don't remember what was the attendance yesterday.

Here is what I have now:

----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

12.06.2011 - 12:02
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    Here is one more small thingy I have just noticed: when the number of votes for a particular album exceeds 1000 (that is becomes 4 digits), and you give it a 10, your vote is shown on top of votes, not to the left as it should be:

EDIT

I just picked the small font size (I use the middle one), and it looks fine. But also another thing is that even using the middle font size by zooming out enough I can get it to look normal. So I do not know whether it is a bug or not.
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

02.07.2011 - 19:20
    WorpeX
    Made of Metal
    Clicking on videos returns a webpage that just says, "FALSE". I've been trying to access videos for months now and they still haven't been fixed... : / For the record, this only seems to happen in Firefox. They seem to work in Chrome...
    02.07.2011 - 20:42
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Ya a few of us have complained about the Youtube video FALSE problem...nothing's been done about it. Not sure what the game plan is either.
    ----
    03.10.2011 - 23:14
    pisymbol

The Suggest a band check does not seem to honor multiple bands from different countries or types.

I tried to suggest "Ascension" from Germany (a Black Metal band) but it says its already suggested. The only "Ascension" I see is a Power Metal band from the UK.

This seems like a bug.

Anyone else see this?
    04.10.2011 - 05:48
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Written by pisymbol on 03.10.2011 at 23:14
    This seems like a bug.

It's not. It's the way the database is set up - all multiples have their country's abbreviation in square brackets after the band name. You need to suggest the band with square brackets.
    ----
    04.10.2011 - 16:24
    pisymbol

Troy, thanks.

I do think that since there IS a country field, the form should either append the field in brackets before the DB check. What's the of having a separate country drop down then?

Minimally it should be documented on the page.
    13.11.2011 - 22:51
    BitterCOld
    The Ancient One
    Written by MiguelLopes on 13.11.2011 at 18:39

How about someone create some Widget for the central notification of the new iOS 5 with the news and those updates that we receive here on the site?
    ----
    get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
    28.12.2011 - 19:06
    The Turbanator

Thought of an idea where you can '+1' a post if you like it. Sounds good?

Like they have in Google + or Youtube, where it'll show how many people liked the post or not.
    ----
    In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
    31.12.2011 - 07:34
    Troy Killjoy
    perfunctionist
    Written by The Turbanator on 28.12.2011 at 19:06
    Thought of an idea where you can '+1' a post if you like it. Sounds good?

Been suggested many times, been rejected just as much.
    ----
    16.03.2012 - 17:25
    K✞ulu
    Seeker of Truth
    I have just opened this page, and the thread names for albums did not get updated there from TBA to the actual album names.
    ----
    But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner