Metal Storm logo
Bugs/Suggestions - Metal Storm 4

Original post

Posted by Lucas, 28.02.2011 - 21:06
Hi all,

Welcome to Metal Storm version 4.0! You've always known us as an ever-evolving website and today is no different from any other day. We can image this change may seem huge & sudden, but trust us, you'll get used to it. Change is always difficult, but just give it some time and we'll all be fine.

There may be some initial bugs & flaws though, so please report those here. Suggestions are also welcome, but please be sure to keep your criticism constructive.

Thanks in advance and happy browsing!
16.03.2012 - 18:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by K✞ulu on 16.03.2012 at 17:25
I have just opened this page, and the thread names for albums did not get updated there from TBA to the actual album names.

Don't ask me why, but you have to actually report each individual thread. Very inefficient but it is what it is.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.03.2012 - 19:06
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 18:08

I have just opened this page, and the thread names for albums did not get updated there from TBA to the actual album names.

Don't ask me why, but you have to actually report each individual thread. Very inefficient but it is what it is.

I think Ivan has already said something like this, but I still wonder whether (or why) it is not possible to write a script that would update album/thread names whenever they are edited.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.03.2012 - 19:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by K✞ulu on 16.03.2012 at 19:06
I still wonder whether (or why) it is not possible to write a script that would update album/thread names whenever they are edited.

It's probably possible. It just hasn't been done. You'd have to talk with the programmer himself about it though, since I have no idea about that stuff.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.03.2012 - 21:35
mojo

"Avantgarde" in Avantgarde Rock is spelled wrong. It says "Avantgrade" (is that like pre-school?)
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
26.04.2012 - 16:28
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 18:08

Topic titles should be updated automatically. What we have here is the hit counter (completely separate from forum topics). I will make it update automatically as well.

EDIT: done.
26.04.2012 - 16:36
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by mojo on 23.03.2012 at 21:35

"Avantgarde" in Avantgarde Rock is spelled wrong. It says "Avantgrade" (is that like pre-school?)

Renamed the forum subcategory. Is it spelled wrong anywhere else?
26.04.2012 - 18:18
mojo

Written by Ivan on 26.04.2012 at 16:36

Renamed the forum subcategory [Avantgarde]. Is it spelled wrong anywhere else?

Not as far as I've seen.
----
Yeah. No. Wait, what was the question?
29.06.2012 - 17:03
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
When one goes to an album, which won a Metal Storm Award in a certain category in the past, and clicks on that link, e.g. "The Best Progressive Metal Album Of 2009" for Dream Theater's Black Clouds & Silver Linings, one will be taken to the most recent Metal Storm Awards results (currently, that is 2011).

My suggestion is to make that link take a user to the corresponding year's Awards (in our case, 2009) or even to the particular category (in our case, "Progressive Metal").

I don't know if that is technically possible, but that would be good.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.01.2013 - 13:50
R Lewis

Hi. Wouldn't be useful to enable some evaluation criteria also for the reviews? Like comprehensibility, well written or not, and so on... So that the reader is directed to the reviews of higher quality? Or do you think that does not serve much?
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
13.01.2013 - 17:56
D.T. Metal

Written by R Lewis on 13.01.2013 at 13:50

Hi. Wouldn't be useful to enable some evaluation criteria also for the reviews? Like comprehensibility, well written or not, and so on... So that the reader is directed to the reviews of higher quality? Or do you think that does not serve much?

A review is in the eye of the beholder. What one might call "higher quality", the guy next door might call 'utterly crap". So to rank the reviews would serve nobody.
13.01.2013 - 18:13
R Lewis

Written by D.T. Metal on 13.01.2013 at 17:56

A review is in the eye of the beholder. What one might call "higher quality", the guy next door might call 'utterly crap". So to rank the reviews would serve nobody.

I'm not speaking about the ratings or the writer's thoughts about band/album, just about being well or badly written, and stuff like that...
----
13.01.2013 - 18:42
D.T. Metal

Written by R Lewis on 13.01.2013 at 18:13

Written by D.T. Metal on 13.01.2013 at 17:56

I'm not speaking about the ratings or the writer's thoughts about band/album, just about being well or badly written, and stuff like that...

That's what I meant also
13.01.2013 - 21:31
R Lewis

Written by D.T. Metal on 13.01.2013 at 18:42

That's what I meant also

Oh, ok. Decision has been taken . JK, thank You for Your time.
----
17.10.2013 - 03:54
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Anyone else thinks the website is too wide?

On a 1440 by 900 screen it takes almost the whole screen to view the full website without scrolling sideways. just about every other website I visit get huge margins if I conform my widow size to Metalstorm's size.

Even on 1080p screen the website still seems too wide.

Band profiles are fine since the information scales according to the window size, but the front page is just terrible.
----
17.10.2013 - 18:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Not for my desctop at home
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2013 - 06:05
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Not sure if the questions goes here or not, but how come lineups don't appear on the pages for compilation albums even if you put them in manually? Should I just put the lineups in the additional info section for these albums?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
19.10.2013 - 06:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by M C Vice on 19.10.2013 at 06:05

Not sure if the questions goes here or not, but how come lineups don't appear on the pages for compilation albums even if you put them in manually? Should I just put the lineups in the additional info section for these albums?

I don't know for sure, but I would guess it's probably because, depending on the compilation, that could potentially be a loooooot of incredibly intricate/detailed information that would have to be entered, and could potentially be fucked up royally if the wrong person tried to do it. That would be my guess any way.

I suppose if you really want to take the time to include such potentially intricate/detailed information then yea, just include it in the additional info field; that's basically what that kind of info is for a compilation since compilations typically feature numerous tracks from across a band's entire discography, of which the albums may not all have the same line-up.

In my experiences, when I used to actually buy compilation cds, that kind of info was typically listed per song in the booklet, and thus likely regarded more as "additional info" than line-up information (I realize this statement may not make sense entirely, but it makes sense my head damnit as I'm typing it ).
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

19.10.2013 - 19:03
mz

Few bugs I've encountered are listed below. Not sure if they were not discussed before
1-Whenever someone changes a list name, the list keeps being shown with the old name in lists section of forum. For instance, Mary's list is named "50 Female Vocalists in Metal Who Impressed Me". In lists section, it is mentioned as "Talented Female Vocalists In Metal".
2-when someone comments directly on your list, you will recieve a notification but that;s not the case when people quote the others in your list page. Probably not a bug but it is weird
3-I've seen on numerous occasions that when someone quotes me and other persons simultaneously, I do not receive notifications.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.10.2013 - 21:43
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by mz on 19.10.2013 at 19:03

Few bugs I've encountered are listed below. Not sure if they were not discussed before
1-Whenever someone changes a list name, the list keeps being shown with the old name in lists section of forum. For instance, Mary's list is named "50 Female Vocalists in Metal Who Impressed Me". In lists section, it is mentioned as "Talented Female Vocalists In Metal".
2-when someone comments directly on your list, you will recieve a notification but that;s not the case when people quote the others in your list page. Probably not a bug but it is weird
3-I've seen on numerous occasions that when someone quotes me and other persons simultaneously, I do not receive notifications.

1. That's because the thread topic is not created until somebody comments on the List, and the topic name is generated based on the name of the List at the time. And even though the List and the topic are linked together on one page, they are not one in the same. So if the user changes their List name, the topic name does not update to match since they are 2 separate "entities", so to speak. I would volunteer to update such things regularly, but depending on how often a user changes their List name, that will be a huge headache to change on such a whim.

2. I believe that's just a matter of function.

3. The Notification is generated based on who you click [ quote ] on, and you can only quote one user at a time. So if you want multiple people to get Notifications, you have to [ quote ] each one individually. It may look like spam if you are trying to quote many people consecutively, but since we (Staff/Mods) understand how the Notification system works, we won't give you any shit for quoting multiple people in a row in separate comments.
----

19.10.2013 - 22:14
mz

Written by psykometal on 19.10.2013 at 21:43

Written by mz on 19.10.2013 at 19:03

comment

well, damn. what sound answer. I will for sure come up with some real bugs the next time and you would not be able to deny them =p
thanks for clearing things up
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
19.10.2013 - 22:29
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by mz on 19.10.2013 at 22:14

well, damn. what sound answer. I will for sure come up with some real bugs the next time and you would not be able to deny them =p
thanks for clearing things up

No problem, Broski.
----

21.11.2013 - 19:41
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
While I log in from my tab, I don't see SB on it. Am I the only one who facing it or is there some issue on my tab only?
21.11.2013 - 21:04
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.11.2013 at 19:41

While I log in from my tab, I don't see SB on it. Am I the only one who facing it or is there some issue on my tab only?

It's probably because it's a mobile browser, most mobile browsers don't show the side bar. Only mobile browser I've found that displays the side bar is Opera.
----

22.11.2013 - 00:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 21.11.2013 at 19:16
Has anyone else experienced such things?

Edit: This problem possibly just disappeared. Oh how I just love good ol' magic.

That's pretty much exactly how it was for me. Everything was misplaced or screwy and then today it looks like things are back to normal.
----
22.11.2013 - 01:20
psykometal
A staff guy...
That's the magic of Ivan.
----

30.11.2013 - 02:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 30.11.2013 at 01:56

I can't see the maps: http://www.metalstorm.net/events/locations.php

Chrome, Firefox, IE.

neither do I
----

apos;'
[image]
10.12.2013 - 11:47
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How about removing the forum topics that get locked after a couple of posts, since they're deemed unnessessary or irrelivent.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.12.2013 - 16:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 10.12.2013 at 11:47

How about removing the forum topics that get locked after a couple of posts, since they're deemed unnessessary or irrelivent.

There are program Ivan once maid something what delite locked topics after some time, I dont remeber how long
Thats what BitterCOld told me once when he was pissed on me,s ince I reported such treads once
(IN MSv2 days I did it and Wrathchild accepted and delited all)
----

apos;'
[image]
12.07.2014 - 06:29
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I've experienced this issue before and I think I bitched about it somewhere.

Anyway, bug is that my "title" takes a default e-mail id fill in. Why?

I mean it changes automatically and fills in my e-mail id in "title" section. How's that changing?
12.07.2014 - 19:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 12.07.2014 at 06:29
I mean it changes automatically and fills in my e-mail id in "title" section. How's that changing?

I don't think I'm understanding the problem. You mean when you go to edit your profile it fills in the Title section with your email address?
----