13 want it

01. Epitome I
02. Epitome II
03. Epitome III
04. Epitome IV
05. Epitome V
06. Epitome VI

Additional info
- Available in a 6-panel digipack CD and noble 12" LP.

Staff review by
Jοe
Rating:
N/A
Whilst Blut Aus Nord have never quite garnered the anticipation that French contemporaries Deathspell Omega have, there has been a palpable sense of wanting for this particular release ever since the numbers "777" were uttered feck-knows how long ago after being touted as an industrialised follow up of sorts to The Work Which Transforms God and that really long, nonsensical named EP. After a lengthy wait further promises were made confirming these notions, as well as quashing any ideas that 777 would be a spin off band rather than merely another side to BaN, the final product, 777 Sect(s), has brought with it both familiarity and surprises.

Read more ››
published 31.03.2011 | Comments (26)

Found in 25 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   Visited by: 561 users
01.03.2011 - 01:58
I just can't wait for this, I hope Debemur Morti realease the Cd version of What was once... Liber I!!!!
05.03.2011 - 02:33
Gaizhnath
It will be a great album i think, the last one was very good.
22.03.2011 - 06:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's very excellent and very dissonant and cold. I don't really know how to describe it exactly yet but in a way it's like a combo of The Work, Thematic, MoRT and Liber I. I wish it was longer though, atonal exploration of this magnitude should be given at least an hour, 45 minutes seems tight.

Though the most retarded thing about this record is the decision to put Epitome 2 as the second track. This is this album's 'Procession of the Dead Clowns' so I urge anyone listening to this to shunt it right to the back. It's a perfect finisher.
23.03.2011 - 17:10
Rating: 9
Mikyz
Written by Guest on 22.03.2011 at 06:01

It's very excellent and very dissonant and cold. I don't really know how to describe it exactly yet but in a way it's like a combo of The Work, Thematic, MoRT and Liber I. I wish it was longer though, atonal exploration of this magnitude should be given at least an hour, 45 minutes seems tight.

Though the most retarded thing about this record is the decision to put Epitome 2 as the second track. This is this album's 'Procession of the Dead Clowns' so I urge anyone listening to this to shunt it right to the back. It's a perfect finisher.

Agreed. It's too fucking short. But I think that Epitome 6 is the perfect finisher, rather than Epitome 2, even if Epitome 2 is the better track. Also, I can't shake the feeling that there's something missing, as an album I feel that its incomplete, maybe because its too short or maybe its something personal. the fact is, I want more out of this than what I'm getting, I mean that in a good way, how can I say this: it's excellent but it lacks what made The Work, so orgasmic, this album is the ultimate musical tease. I'm going to listen to this a lot.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
23.03.2011 - 17:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mikyz on 23.03.2011 at 17:10

Agreed. It's too fucking short. But I think that Epitome 6 is the perfect finisher, rather than Epitome 2, even if Epitome 2 is the better track. Also, I can't shake the feeling that there's something missing, as an album I feel that its incomplete, maybe because its too short or maybe its something personal. the fact is, I want more out of this than what I'm getting, I mean that in a good way, how can I say this: it's excellent but it lacks what made The Work, so orgasmic, this album is the ultimate musical tease. I'm going to listen to this a lot.

Yep I totally agree with you. I can't help thinking that BaN swept by and made this without the complete dedication they put in The Work. I think it could have done with a few ambient tracks, something clearly non-metal to allow it to breath, as it stands it feels like a quickfire round of insanity, perhaps far closer to Liber I than the promised The Work/Thematic (in all honesty the only time this comes to Thematic is the weird dub bit at the end of track one - they should have expanded on it) I've also heard some interesting "Blut aus Omega" comparisons given the dissonant onslaught it is which could be quite valid.

But yeah, this turned out to be a bit more individual than the hark back I was hoping for and that's probably the reason I don't love it quite as I expected, but I'm not disappointed either oddly enough. I'll still be reversing Epitome 2 and 6 around though : P
24.03.2011 - 12:05
Tenski
Epitome 6. Sounds like a newer Nephilim song
07.05.2011 - 23:42
Mmmm... I got this Album the last tuesday... and I'm not quite sure about my personal appreciation of this 777. I am a big fan of BAN since The work wich transforms God, and I have all the albums, but I cannot say anything yet of this. I still have to listen it again and again and again. Greetings.
12.05.2011 - 18:07
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I like this and hate it at the same time. It's really interesting and I get pretty excited for the songs to develop but then something weird happens and all of a sudden the album's over. It's hard for me to even say what's good or bad about it. It's just like...eerie black metal stuff but it just seems kind of drab and rushed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.06.2011 - 20:01
Destructo
Written by Mikyz on 23.03.2011 at 17:10

" Also, I can't shake the feeling that there's something missing, as an album I feel that its incomplete, maybe because its too short or maybe its something personal."

I feel you might just feel more satisfied when Part 2 of this new "777" trilogy gets released. This album is like a puzzle. I'm guessing that the picture that the band intended to create in the minds of the listener will be fully clear after Album 2 and 3 follow.
22.06.2011 - 23:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Actually I'm pretty sure I read that it'll be quite a different style to part 1, and that each part won't sound like it's predecessor. How that'll span out as a whole I don't know.
23.06.2011 - 04:29
Mikyz
Written by Guest on 22.06.2011 at 23:12

Actually I'm pretty sure I read that it'll be quite a different style to part 1, and that each part won't sound like it's predecessor. How that'll span out as a whole I don't know.

It'd be pretty redundant to release three records with the same layout and sound progression, let's just hope that the quality stays in apotheosis. But I don't imagine I'll be disappointed in any way, personally I have a feeling that 777 sects will be the weakest of the trilogy.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
23.06.2011 - 14:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
elite
Written by Mikyz on 23.06.2011 at 04:29

Written by Guest on 22.06.2011 at 23:12

It'd be pretty redundant to release three records with the same layout and sound progression, let's just hope that the quality stays in apotheosis. But I don't imagine I'll be disappointed in any way, personally I have a feeling that 777 sects will be the weakest of the trilogy.
if it is indeed the weakest then I'll be happy, because I like this a lot =P
----
loves 小巫
16.11.2011 - 23:20
InnerSelf
proofread free
Some criticized this for being short or rather incomplete .... after the release of the second part of the trilogy all those "weaknesses" seem to make no sense and I have the feeling that those weaknesses will vanish after the release of the final part of the trilogy.
BaN are awesome
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.11.2011 - 22:59
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by InnerSelf on 16.11.2011 at 23:20

Some criticized this for being short or rather incomplete .... after the release of the second part of the trilogy all those "weaknesses" seem to make no sense and I have the feeling that those weaknesses will vanish after the release of the final part of the trilogy.
BaN are awesome

When the third and final part of the triology is available I will buy all three and listen to the whole triology in one sitting, I'm pretty sure that it will be beautiful. (Gotta do the same thing with Deathspell Omega)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.11.2011 - 23:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.11.2011 at 22:59

When the third and final part of the triology is available I will buy all three and listen to the whole triology in one sitting, I'm pretty sure that it will be beautiful. (Gotta do the same thing with Deathspell Omega)

Paracletus is the only part of the trilogy that I've heard "shame on me, I know".
----
is not bold enough
17.11.2011 - 23:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by InnerSelf on 17.11.2011 at 23:10
Paracletus is the only part of the trilogy that I've heard "shame on me, I know".

Holy shit get on that. Seriously. >>
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.11.2011 - 16:08
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by InnerSelf on 17.11.2011 at 23:10

Yeah dude... wtf?
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.11.2011 - 16:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It's also the weakest part =]
18.11.2011 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 16:11

Agreed. If you're going to listen to one album in a trilogy don't listen to the conclusion which also happens to be the least interesting one of the bunch.
----
20.11.2011 - 21:07
Night Sight
I impressed a lot
i haven't listen to the whole album yet,but the first 2 tracks were great.good surprise of 2011!cause i'm new to the band
----
Alone in birth
Alone in the darkness
Alone in death
Alone in the daylight
22.11.2011 - 12:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.11.2011 at 20:37

Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 16:11

Agreed. If you're going to listen to one album in a trilogy don't listen to the conclusion which also happens to be the least interesting one of the bunch.

When it was released I had only listened to Kenos and was blown away by it, and I did not know that this is a part of a trilogy I already know that the previous albums will be awesome but I have no reason why I haven't checked them yet
----
is not bold enough
22.11.2011 - 14:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 22.11.2011 at 12:19

When it was released I had only listened to Kenos and was blown away by it, and I did not know that this is a part of a trilogy I already know that the previous albums will be awesome but I have no reason why I haven't checked them yet

Kenos was more of an addendum to the first part of the trilogy, and marks DsO's first proper foray into the very technical side of their style of black metal. The first part is somewhat separate from the raw Darkthrone worship and mega-dense modern stuff they do now, though it has more in common aesthetically to do with Kenose and the following records.
01.07.2013 - 22:05
Rating: 7
mz
Sorry but production of this album is one of the worst I've ever heard and makes sect(s) to sound thin and artificial. I still enjoy this one but a more proper production could make this much better IMO. It lacks the grim ( I really hate this word but do not have any better choice here) soul of TWWTG or MoRT and majestic/eternal feeling of cosmosophy. Something between these two styles which can not capture the effectiveness of either.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.07.2013 - 22:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 01.07.2013 at 22:05

Sorry but production of this album is one of the worst I've ever heard and makes sect(s) to sound thin and artificial. I still enjoy this one but a more proper production could make this much better IMO. It lacks the grim ( I really hate this word but do not have any better choice here) soul of TWWTG or MoRT and majestic/eternal feeling of cosmosophy. Something between these two styles which can not capture the effectiveness of either.

Yeah I'd love a remix of this album (and the whole 777 trilogy in fact).
01.07.2013 - 22:33
mz
Written by Guest on 01.07.2013 at 22:09

Yeah I'd love a remix of this album (and the whole 777 trilogy in fact).

As stated before,I like the production of cosmosophy. It may be not so different form the previous two parts but fits the songwriting and approach quiet well. The sect(s) on the other hand, is too extreme/fast for this kind of production and giving a full listen to it makes me get headache and feel dizzy.
Also, a remixed version would be absolutely welcomed but I do not think it would happen in an official manner.
----
01.07.2013 - 22:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
I'm one of those that think the production is perfectly fine here. I like the fact that the triology has its own sound instead of trying to sound like the others specially since the songwriting isn't like TWWTG or MORT at all so I don't see why it should emulate those styles.
----
Rod, let me love you.
01.07.2013 - 22:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by mz on 01.07.2013 at 22:33

Also, a remixed version would be absolutely welcomed but I do not think it would happen in an official manner.

Who knows? In 30 years the Steven Wilson of old hipster black metal records may appear...
01.07.2013 - 22:57
mz
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.07.2013 at 22:33

I'm one of those that think the production is perfectly fine here. I like the fact that the triology has its own sound instead of trying to sound like the others specially since the songwriting isn't like TWWTG or MORT at all so I don't see why it should emulate those styles.

I don't think trilogy should copy the other albums but I cant help noticing that production drags the experience for me. It does not need to be like those of TWWTG or MoRT to be suitable, just as the case of cosmosophy or Liber II to a less extent.
We two seem to have totally opposite opinions on the triology. For me, cosmosophy(9)> Desanctification (8.6)> sect(s) (8) and you seem to believe to the exact opposite trend so no surprise if you think the sound of this album is fine.
Now,peace
----
01.07.2013 - 23:03
mz
Written by Unhealer on 01.07.2013 at 22:42

Written by mz on 01.07.2013 at 22:33

Who knows? In 30 years the Steven Wilson of old hipster black metal records may appear...

Vindsval has openly stated that he and band in general do not care about the others opinion (surprised, huh?). BaN seem to be simply satisfied by final product.
Also,nice pick on SW
----
06.02.2014 - 04:57
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Sorry but production of this album is one of the worst I've ever heard and makes sect(s) to sound thin and artificial. I still enjoy this one but a more proper production could make this much better IMO.

Cool, glad it's not just me who thinks this.

Still cool overall, but the production is so overdone, it would best suit a pop song (and a bad one at that).
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS

Hits total: 12794 | This month: 19