08. Ellindur Bondi A Jadri
09. Nine Words Of Lore
10. The Lay Of Thrym
11. I [Black Sabbath cover] [bonus]
12. Stargazer [Rainbow cover] [bonus]

Guest review by
flamey
Rating:
Faroese Viking metallers Týr don't seem like they want to take a break as they're back with The Lay of Thrym, not long after their previous effort By the Light of the Northern Star. Týr is (more like, was) one of those rare bands that has managed to create their own sound in a genre where most others just try to get their share out of the hype by following the genre's basic formulas. On the other hand, Týr had a distinct progressive touch, utilize no death vocals and managed to blend this progressive/heavy metal successfully with their traditional Faroese music. This, however, has started to change recently.

Read more ››
published 04.10.2011 | Comments (5)

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 814 users
03.03.2011 - 20:53
Luneth
Account deleted
I want it now.
03.03.2011 - 23:55
Rating: 1
worm_is_gloaming

Source?

May is two months away from now. Nothing appeared in the news announcing this.
04.03.2011 - 00:55
Rating: 8
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
There are news (seen it somewhere else on the net), they probably just haven't been processed here yet.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
19.03.2011 - 22:05
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Really hope it will be better than their terrible previous album. Substituting all their trademark intricacies and progression for wider appeal was disappointing last time around.
31.03.2011 - 14:26
sonnedre

I want it to be like Land or Eric the Red. I heard one piece from new album and must say that I liked it.
27.05.2011 - 09:53
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
In stores now!!
can't wait to get my copy :@
28.05.2011 - 01:21
Rating: 10
Evilquince

After 2 spins - this is damn amazing and powerful! In range with Northern Star. And these Dio covers at the end, there's no better way to end an album.
----
Some suffer to the point when they grow numb.
Others are so numb they deserve to suffer.
28.05.2011 - 02:02
virtual-x

Bonus track, Black Sabbath cover "I" is great !
28.05.2011 - 21:02
tdeg

I liked the album a lot and the two covers at the end were really great. I imagine "Shadow of the Swastika" will divide some people (not because of the "fuck nazis" message but just because of how explicit they're referencing what happened on the Paganfest tour) but I actually really liked it. For me, "Take your Tyrant" and "Nine Worlds of Lore" were the weak points especially the latter one. "Evening Star" on the other hand is really great and I hope that becomes a live staple. I might have rated it higher if some other releases this year weren't so strong (Septicflesh, Moonsorrow, and Primordial come to mind) but it's overall a solid record that should be definitely be checked out if you like viking-themed folk metal (or really hate nazis).
29.05.2011 - 05:54
DevilishSong

I am not serious fan of this genre , but i like this album and i think their music is respectable.

P.S : I really hate the kids that give " 1 " to such a album like this , when see it appear on the top of the list temporary , cause they just gave 10 to 1th Album in the top 20 before , until now this retarded iranian " Dark Light " , just have won the prize of stupidity of the year!
29.05.2011 - 08:57
Rating: 9
The Benighted

Damn this album is catchy. I had Eric the Red a while ago, but I think this beats it for me. In general the quality of the songs is very consistent, and the production is very good as well.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
29.05.2011 - 15:05
Vikcen
Metálico
My god, is very good, its best album in my humble opinion .
31.05.2011 - 15:31
Rating: 7
neonxaos

I'm not quite convinced yet. The first three tracks are killer - right up there with the best of their back catalogue, but the rest of the album is less charismatic to me. The songs seem sort of anonymous compared with the awesome power of Flames Of The Free in particular. I might warm to the whole thing after a few more spins, but it's not really doing it for me at the moment.
31.05.2011 - 22:07
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by neonxaos on 31.05.2011 at 15:31

I'm not quite convinced yet. The first three tracks are killer - right up there with the best of their back catalogue, but the rest of the album is less charismatic to me. The songs seem sort of anonymous compared with the awesome power of Flames Of The Free in particular. I might warm to the whole thing after a few more spins, but it's not really doing it for me at the moment.

Maybe the reason that you don't like it, is because this album is less progressive than the others .
31.05.2011 - 23:13
Rating: 7
neonxaos

Written by Vikcen on 31.05.2011 at 22:07

Maybe the reason that you don't like it, is because this album is less progressive than the others .

Well, Heri did say that he formed Heljareyga to express his progressive side (because some fans - or maybe even some band members, I can't remember - had apparently told him that they did not like the progressive elements in Týr), and I have grown quite fond of the debut album of the same name, so you're quite right. I can't deny that The Lay Of Thrym is a competent album, but I can't recall any of the songs from the latter half of the album at all after listening to all of it four times, except Konning Hans, because it is in charmingly broken Danish. When I listen to the songs, I just kind of forget they're playing and zone out, and I'm not used to that with this band.
02.06.2011 - 00:06
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by neonxaos on 31.05.2011 at 23:13

Written by Vikcen on 31.05.2011 at 22:07

Well, Heri did say that he formed Heljareyga to express his progressive side (because some fans - or maybe even some band members, I can't remember - had apparently told him that they did not like the progressive elements in Týr), and I have grown quite fond of the debut album of the same name, so you're quite right. I can't deny that The Lay Of Thrym is a competent album, but I can't recall any of the songs from the latter half of the album at all after listening to all of it four times, except Konning Hans, because it is in charmingly broken Danish. When I listen to the songs, I just kind of forget they're playing and zone out, and I'm not used to that with this band.

Umm interesting. Well, Still i don't have the album, but soon i will have a opinion more approximate when i have it finally.
03.06.2011 - 15:23
R'Vannith
ghedengi
I've put off checking out this band for far too long. Solid, catchy album with excellent lyrics, what more can you ask for?
07.06.2011 - 01:02
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 03.03.2011 at 23:55

Source?

My god, are you sure that you are a fan of Týr?
07.06.2011 - 02:31
Rating: 1
worm_is_gloaming

Written by Vikcen on 07.06.2011 at 01:02

Source?

I used to be. After listening to this album, I am not so sure.
07.06.2011 - 16:25
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by worm_is_gloaming on 07.06.2011 at 02:31

Written by Vikcen on 07.06.2011 at 01:02

Source?

I used to be. After listening to this album, I am not so sure.

Well, ok. Just surprised me so low rating by a fan like you. No problem =).
08.06.2011 - 13:22
Xunxurun

Amazing one!
09.06.2011 - 01:14
JD
Account deleted
My favorite songs are :

Shadow Of The Swastika
Fields Of The Fallen
I
Stargaze
13.06.2011 - 12:01
JÄY
Metal slave
It does pain me to see this release rated lower than the last, as it sounds much better to me
14.06.2011 - 19:17
JD
Account deleted
I'm definitely gonna vote for I [Black Sabbath cover] as the best cover song in 2011.
22.06.2011 - 10:38
Aetherius

Good album!
04.07.2011 - 23:41
Vikcen
Metálico
My god, outstanding melodies, all the songs with catchy choruses, an album that gives you very "buen rollito", perfect production, a fantastic rythm (by the way, this drummer is a master) with a really very good execution, what more you can ask? yes, the voice is awesome!! a fantastic work, yeah!

In my oppinion the power metal album of this year so far. By the way, really great covers on this record, specially the spectacular "Stargazer" .

18.07.2011 - 01:11
ravendeath

Rainbows cover is very good, but the rest of the album it's so, so...
05.08.2011 - 18:36
Destructo

On first listen - What's so great about this ? I will give this a 5.
On 2nd listen - Holy shit....I can't believe how good this is....this is definitely a 9 (an opinion I haven't changed after even 10+ listens)

This is definitely one of the best albums of 2011 without a doubt !!!
18.08.2011 - 19:13
Rating: 4
Rulatore

This album quite sucks, too generic, the only track that I liked was The Shadow of the Swastika, I'm giving 4 because I like this band... and I didnt enjoyed the middle-east-themed-lyrics everytime screaming for freedom or such, but this is my opinion.
29.08.2011 - 05:31
FREDD
Account deleted
Quite a good album. I would give it a 7 but because of the Arab Spring-themed lyrics, I'll make it 9.

Hits total: 21115 | This month: 25