Metal Storm logo
Albums You Have Heard In a Single Stint

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 04.03.2011 - 06:57
Initially (4 1/2 years back) i took more than a month to get through an entire album.YES, Don't Scream WTF ????? Then i tried to improve my performance by reducing the time to a week. Yes ONE ENITIRE WEEK!!! It could've been because i often try to take in every element and liitle sound of the album in its entirety.Back then i haven't heard a lot of metal albums so it took me time to register the riffs and songs in mind. But now they fall in place quite quickly.
But the point is still i haven't heard many albums that i have listened from start to finish in a single sitting.I dnt know y but maybe because it gets monotonous pretty quickly for a guy like me who listens to 100+ genres outside of metal (Mostly classical,symphonic, rock,electronic,Alt & their respective sub-genres).I have come very close by finishing some albums within a day or two.
I will try listening to the some of the upcoming albums of fav bands in a single stint
The only album i have heard in a single stint till date: Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
So what are the albums u guys have heard in a single stint? and does it improve the overall experience of an album or not?
16.10.2011 - 20:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 15:26
I've improved and listen to all of it at once *proud*

Welcome to the big boys' club.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.10.2011 - 22:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.10.2011 at 20:40

Thank you. Now if I could bring myself to sit over schoolbooks for over an hour at a time... that would be REALLY helpful.
----
7.0 means the album is good
17.10.2011 - 22:57
Frost Beast
Account deleted
LAST album I listened to in a single stint: Borknagar's The Olden Domain
20.10.2011 - 20:16
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted

Adoptin to this new listenin style, it seems that i hav to take down 2 - 3 pts for most of my album ratings .... \
20.10.2011 - 22:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 20:16
Adoptin to this new listenin style, it seems that i hav to take down 2 - 3 pts for most of my album ratings .... \

I don't think that's a bad thing. That's when you begin to understand what you really like, when even the "fillers" on an album entice you - and what kind of albums you realize don't stand up to a complete listen. It also helps separate the good from the bad and you can truly connect with the music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 06:00
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:12

I don't think that's a bad thing. That's when you begin to understand what you really like, when even the "fillers" on an album entice you - and what kind of albums you realize don't stand up to a complete listen. It also helps separate the good from the bad and you can truly connect with the music.

I didn't become sad for that or anything , i just felt poor for those albums, which I initially voted by listening the good singles excessively and not even touching the bad tracks in those albums. Those albums were the ones that i had to change my rating. Now i feel my voting can really be genuine.
21.10.2011 - 06:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 06:00
Now i feel my voting can really be genuine.

Then you can laugh at everyone else who votes based on singles! HA
----
21.10.2011 - 06:12
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 06:01

Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 06:00
Now i feel my voting can really be genuine.

Then you can laugh at everyone else who votes based on singles! HA

23.10.2011 - 08:51
TDFX
Written by Milena on 16.10.2011 at 22:23

Thank you. Now if I could bring myself to sit over schoolbooks for over an hour at a time... that would be REALLY helpful.

I had the same problem, but I'm just very easily distracted. Listening to music while studying helps though, kind of creates a rhythm to it.

As for the OP, I rarely not listen to the whole album at once. Unless of course I can't find something that fits the mood.
----
Last.fm
27.10.2011 - 02:15
ToMegaTherion
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 22:12

Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 20:16

Very true, I usually find two complete listens while I'm playing a video game does the trick. It's always funny when someone says what is you favorite song on 'x' album and you reply something completely unexpected. But the truth is rarely are the labels flagged songs on an album the best songs.
27.10.2011 - 02:17
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by ToMegaTherion on 27.10.2011 at 02:15
But the truth is rarely are the labels flagged songs on an album the best songs.

Very rarely can I respond to someone asking me for a favorite song from an album. I mean if it's a single from the '80s I usually go with that obviously, but something like what's your favorite song from The Maniacal Vale...I'm gonna be like, all of them.
----
27.10.2011 - 02:18
ToMegaTherion
To respond to the discussion:
I almost always listen to a newly acquired album all the way through at least twice. Its a way of really telling how good a band is, if the fillers are good usually you see how good a band really is because they are songs that you can almost guarantee no-one has put pressure on them to write.
27.10.2011 - 02:20
ToMegaTherion
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.10.2011 at 02:17

Written by ToMegaTherion on 27.10.2011 at 02:15
But the truth is rarely are the labels flagged songs on an album the best songs.

Very rarely can I respond to someone asking me for a favorite song from an album. I mean if it's a single from the '80s I usually go with that obviously, but something like what's your favorite song from The Maniacal Vale...I'm gonna be like, all of them.

I certainly understand that well. I'm like that with a lot of bands particularly in association with Black metal and Prog metal, because they are usually written as complete 'albums' not merely a collection of song they wrote in their spare time.
27.10.2011 - 03:10
ß
Problem?
I usually always listen to an album in one single sitting, that is if I think it's good. Sometimes I won't listen to a whole album, most obvious reason being I simply find it to be mundane and can't bothered to listen to the whole thing. The other reason would be if the album is very long and I lack the attention span to fully enjoy it at that particular moment, ie Esoteric and Fauna.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
20.01.2012 - 00:10
lordchadi
As i remember i think all my favorite bands i heard their albums in a single stint
21.01.2012 - 19:59
Lit.
Account deleted
You mean you don't listen to an album in one sitting?
21.01.2012 - 22:53
Ghostdancer
Actually NOT listening to an album in one sitting is a rare event.
----
"Bullshit! You didn't convince me!"
24.01.2012 - 04:04
Zealot644
I'm probably like super advertising for them (after a few of my recent posts)...

Buuuut....Vildhjarta - Masstaden.

I quote from gotdjent's review of the album:

"The utter darkness and despair that this album manages to conjure up, along with moments of shimmering beauty and a sense of timelessness, is truly magical. The direct yet hugely challenging guitar work, hauntingly dissonant and wielding terrifying power, is layered thickly yet somehow gives the illusion of having spades of room in which to work. The ambiences are stunning, and the perfectly distorted vocal duo Daniel Ädel and Vilhelm Bladin give huge weight and direction. The storytelling, through both words and music, to me is on a level with the writing of Shakespeare, Tolkien and the Greek mythological storytellers, whose works clearly influence it greatly. As a musical journey, it is comparable in style and magnitude to a symphony that Mahler, Sibelius or Shostakovich may have written.

Upon listening to this release, you will descend into a narcotic tale of evil intent and impending doom, epitomised throughout in the lyrics and music combined. This album leaves a trail of destruction in its wake, conveyed in brutal manner by the bone-crushing riffery and hellish abuse of melody by the impossible guitar lines, a kind of which I have heard nothing like before: such is the magnitude of the albums production that, when the low notes fall, you physically shudder as their gravity crushes your insignificant mind. One of the central concepts is perpetual impurity and the presence of evil within all things; this goes hand in hand with the other underlying themes, namely religion, apocalypse and the negative effects of globalisation. However, the story within this album is far from clear-cut: reality is very unclear throughout, giving a listener a lot of creative space in which to conjure up his own sequence of events, something all good concept albums, such as Uneven Structure's 'Februus' and Meshuggah's 'Catch Thirtythree', create within the plot."
25.01.2012 - 22:01
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 11.10.2011 at 16:09

I usually don't listen to albums from beginning to end...I have music ADD...and with progressive metal, I find it hard to listen to the whole album from beginning to end...especially Haken's new album Visions...I finally got through that yesterday in one sitting...

Music ADD?? I just looked that up and I found out it's the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I have!! Please help!! I'm no longer enjoying music because of this! I would be REALLY grateful if you tell me how you overcame this!! Thanks a lot! I have a renewed hope in metal now!!
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
27.01.2012 - 17:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Oaken on 25.01.2012 at 22:01

Try not listening to music for a couple of weeks/months... and then, the first song that pops into your mind in the morning, play it, and play similar songs. It always jumpstarts my music binges
----
27.01.2012 - 17:26
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ghostdancer on 21.01.2012 at 22:53

Actually NOT listening to an album in one sitting is a rare event.

My thoughts exactly. So to answer the original question I guess I'm well up in over a 1000 albums, that I've heard in one sitting. All the albums I own, all the albums I've borrowed, all the albums I've heard over the Internet. If I purchase a CD (which I most often do), of course I listen to the album in one sitting. The only ones I haven't listened to are some of my "best of" albums, which I just purchase for the sake of my collection.

This is a weird question. Or is it so that it doesn't count if I ever pressed the pause button to take a shit or answer the phone or check my mail or to see who is at the door? Then I guess I have to check my "Listening to metal in one sitting" journal...
----
27.01.2012 - 18:47
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Milena on 27.01.2012 at 17:19

Try not listening to music for a couple of weeks/months... and then, the first song that pops into your mind in the morning, play it, and play similar songs. It always jumpstarts my music binges

Thanks. I'll try this.
----
30.01.2012 - 19:21
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted

I usually don't listen to albums from beginning to end...I have music ADD...and with progressive metal, I find it hard to listen to the whole album from beginning to end...especially Haken's new album Visions...I finally got through that yesterday in one sitting...

Music ADD?? I just looked that up and I found out it's the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I have!! Please help!! I'm no longer enjoying music because of this! I would be REALLY grateful if you tell me how you overcame this!! Thanks a lot! I have a renewed hope in metal now!!

Its actually happening less and less. I had no time really to listen to a lot of music and I can now listen to music while sitting here at work. I have developed a lot more patience. I don't really know what to say to help you. Just allot yourself a lot of time where you have nothing to do and try to listen to as much of an album as possible?
30.01.2012 - 23:17
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Guest on 30.01.2012 at 19:21

I had no time really to listen to a lot of music

You nailed it. That's my problem too. Thanks.
I have to be the class nerd and a metalhead at the same time. That sucks...
----
31.01.2012 - 18:59
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Oaken on 30.01.2012 at 23:17

Would you rather be the class nerd and a prog rock geek at the same time?
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
01.02.2012 - 21:42
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Oaken on 30.01.2012 at 23:17

You nailed it. That's my problem too. Thanks.

I did that last year with no problem you can dedicate one hour every morning and evening to listening to new albums, and while you study you can play something you'll familiar with. You can dedicate yourself to school AND a hobby AND a social life, the trick is actually to force yourself to study after you've done something fun. Most people can't do that although there's enough hours in one day. I've lost that ability but I'm working on it.
----
22.02.2012 - 14:48
Olli
I tend to listen to albums all the way through when I've just got them, then they go into the "shuffle bin". There are a few albums I like to listen to all the way through though

Intronaut - Valley Of Smoke
Opeth - Blackwater Park and Damnation
Devin Townsend - Ziltoid and Terria
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium
Mastodon - Blood mountain and Leviathan

Some albums just don't sound as good when you pick out random songs
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."