06. Four Sticks
07. Going To California
08. When The Levee Breaks

Top 20 albums of 1971: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 16

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
It's an actual challenge to review an album like this one, a classic album made by one of those unforgettable bands, so I swear I'll do my best.

Led Zeppelin released this jewel in 1971 (November 8th to be precise). It's a marvelous album, every song featured here is just incredible, we have the memorable "Black Dog," the classic "Rock & Roll" (we can even hear this song in the Super Bowl specials), the aggressive "Misty Mountain Hop," the mystic "When The Levee Breaks," the catchy "Four Sticks" and well?"Stairway To Heaven."

Read more ››
published 31.12.2005 | Comments (49)

We are, once again, a couple of days late to celebrate a groundbreaking album's anniversary. Led Zeppelin is a band with a complicated legacy, from uncredited "inspirations" to underage groupies to backmasking, but there's something truly mystical about their fourth album. Supposedly untitled, debuting the band's symbolistic emblems, and with the figure from the cover art taken from a Tarot card, Led Zeppelin IV is also probably the band's most consistent album. It's hard to pinpoint a song on this album that isn't a classic. There are no words needed for "Stairway To Heaven", which has became the band's trademark. "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" were rowdy even by 70s standards. "The Battle Of Evermore" and "Misty Mountain Hop" feel like early seeds for folk metal, "When The Levee Breaks" has one of the best grooves of all time. "Going To California" is a ballad that's so ethereal. And the only reason "Four Sticks" feels more forgettable is because it's in such good company, but it would've been some other bands' greatest song.

RaduP's picks | More picks ››

Found in 62 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 44   Visited by: 1945 users
10.03.2011 - 11:47
Rating: 10
Karllstein
When Jimmy Page's guitar finally brings "Stairway to Heaven" to a climax, my heart still bursts. Great "Rainy Day" album. "Battle of Evermore" maybe one of the most underrated songs ever recorded. Just press "Play."
24.06.2011 - 00:45
Death_95
Best album of all time.
02.03.2012 - 18:23
Rating: 10
Pelagial
A masterpiece of course but not the best of Led zepp. Certainly the most poetic and approachable of the band.
22.07.2012 - 19:07
Cüca Beludo
Account deleted
I liked it a lot.
14.09.2012 - 02:30
Rating: 9
Angry Chair
Masterpiece of beauty.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
08.12.2012 - 21:42
megadeath13
Account deleted
Timeless Hard rock classic and its Led Zeppelins best album. It deserves the well paid attention
21.10.2013 - 19:13
Lião
Account deleted
Not a quite overrated, immensely overrated. I do respect this band mainly because of their influence on many forms of music today, but whatever. The Beatles are the most successful band in the history, but still they're boring.

Your guys can kill me, but I'd rather some Glam Metal/Pop Hard Rock than Zeppelin...
21.10.2013 - 23:11
Rating: 8
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 21.10.2013 at 19:13

Not a quite overrated, immensely overrated. I do respect this band mainly because of their influence on many forms of music today, but whatever. The Beatles are the most successful band in the history, but still they're boring.

Your guys can kill me, but I'd rather some Glam Metal/Pop Hard Rock than Zeppelin...

Never heard The Beatles described as boring before but hey, everyone is entitled to their personal opinion. I personally think The Beatles were one of the most interesting bands in the history of popular music. Their sound changed incredibly during their short career. An amazing band. And as for this Led Zep album, I don't think it's overrated at all. It's a brilliant album with so many good tracks.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.10.2013 - 17:22
Lião
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 21.10.2013 at 23:11

Never heard The Beatles described as boring before but hey, everyone is entitled to their personal opinion. I personally think The Beatles were one of the most interesting bands in the history of popular music. Their sound changed incredibly during their short career. An amazing band. And as for this Led Zep album, I don't think it's overrated at all. It's a brilliant album with so many good tracks.

Maybe I got a little harsh here (talking about The Beatles), but for a band titled as 'the worlds greatest band ever', they kinda of sound too 'meh'. I'd like some Beatles tunes like Helter Skelter or With a Little Help from my Friends, but I'd preffer The Rolling Stones (from their same time) or Elvis presley.

Also I'm surprised you gave this album an 8, and not a 10 Perhaps I should listen to 'Physical Graffiti' later to see if the band turned into something more enjoyable for my own ears
22.10.2013 - 23:06
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Guest on 22.10.2013 at 17:22

Maybe I got a little harsh here (talking about The Beatles), but for a band titled as 'the worlds greatest band ever', they kinda of sound too 'meh'. I'd like some Beatles tunes like Helter Skelter or With a Little Help from my Friends, but I'd preffer The Rolling Stones (from their same time) or Elvis presley.

Also I'm surprised you gave this album an 8, and not a 10 Perhaps I should listen to 'Physical Graffiti' later to see if the band turned into something more enjoyable for my own ears

I don't give out 10s very often. I would definitely recommend you listen to Physical Graffiti as it contains more wonderful music by Led Zeppelin.
----
22.10.2013 - 23:48
Lião
Account deleted
Written by Ace Frawley on 22.10.2013 at 23:06

Written by Guest on 22.10.2013 at 17:22

I don't give out 10s very often. I would definitely recommend you listen to Physical Graffiti as it contains more wonderful music by Led Zeppelin.

That one will wait a bit, I'll try Motörhead newest effor. I'm sure it will be boring as well
05.11.2013 - 19:47
TrialByFire
What is this doing on Metal Storm? A great album, but definitely NOT a metal album, or one of the greatest metal albums of all time.
05.11.2013 - 23:34
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by TrialByFire on 05.11.2013 at 19:47

What is this doing on Metal Storm? A great album, but definitely NOT a metal album, or one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

Well obviously others beg to differ. This is currently rated as number 10 on the site. Anyway, I'm comfortable with it being here.
----
09.11.2013 - 18:57
TrialByFire
Written by Ace Frawley on 05.11.2013 at 23:34

Written by TrialByFire on 05.11.2013 at 19:47

Well obviously others beg to differ. This is currently rated as number 10 on the site. Anyway, I'm comfortable with it being here.

I think MA are a bit more sensible then MS, as they have classified Zep as being 'classic rock'. I don't see how this is a better metal album than Powerslave, Paranoid, Holy Diver, In The Nightside Eclipse, Abigail or Crimson. I mean, even included on MS is Uriah Heep (a great band) which is stated as being 'hard rock' and nothing else- not even a metal band according to MS. Zeppelin are blues-based, which is a factor than metal doesn't have, and one of the main things that differentiates hard rock from metal.

I don't really want to get into an argument, so I'll just leave it there.
09.11.2013 - 19:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by TrialByFire on 09.11.2013 at 18:57

Zeppelin are blues-based, which is a factor than metal doesn't have,

most metal is heavily blues based as well, just take Judas Priest and Black Sabbath as two early examples. If it's not blues based according to you then what is it based?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.11.2013 - 18:03
TrialByFire
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.11.2013 at 19:28

Written by TrialByFire on 09.11.2013 at 18:57

Zeppelin are blues-based, which is a factor than metal doesn't have,

most metal is heavily blues based as well, just take Judas Priest and Black Sabbath as two early examples. If it's not blues based according to you then what is it based?

On hard rock music, but with most of the blues chord progressions etc. removed.
13.12.2013 - 17:45
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by TrialByFire on 11.11.2013 at 18:03
On hard rock music, but with most of the blues chord progressions etc. removed.
Numerous metal bands use the pentatonic scale of which the blues scale is a derivative.
20.08.2014 - 14:25
stunner_300
Really good cover album.
20.08.2014 - 19:28
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by stunner_300 on 20.08.2014 at 14:25

Really good cover album.

And, dare I ask, what are they covering?
20.08.2014 - 20:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 20.08.2014 at 19:28

Written by stunner_300 on 20.08.2014 at 14:25

Really good cover album.

And, dare I ask, what are they covering?

When The Levee Breaks is a cover and Stairway To Heaven is partly ripped off, but tat's it. So the claim it is a really good cover album is an outrageous claim, especially when you compare it to what Led Zep did earlier on in their career.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2014 - 21:46
stunner_300
They ripped of so many songs, not only on that album.
20.08.2014 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Great, here we go with another one of those "oh my god Zeppelin stole everything they aren't even good" types.

News flash: nothing is original. Everyone takes some kind of influence from somewhere, and in some cases that influence is taken with more of a direct approach. Abbath freely admits parts of Immortal songs are lifted from Zeppelin, who in turn lifted their music from someone else, who in turn... well, you get the idea.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.08.2014 - 22:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by stunner_300 on 20.08.2014 at 21:46

They ripped of so many songs, not only on that album.

name the songs. Cause I bet you can't name anything besides the two examples I gave you off this album. It is all hearsay for your kind of people (age wise that is) And anything besides When The Levee Breaks and parts of Stairway Of heaven anyone comes up with (yes it has been done so many times) is extremely far fetched to call it a cover or ripping off.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.08.2014 - 11:27
stunner_300
Ok i'm not trying to be annoying but i can't stand Led Zeppelin for that.

And btw just two more songs because i won't spent my day at this, "Whole Lotta Love"/"The Lemon Song"
21.08.2014 - 13:25
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by stunner_300 on 21.08.2014 at 11:27

Ok i'm not trying to be annoying but i can't stand Led Zeppelin for that.

And btw just two more songs because i won't spent my day at this, "Whole Lotta Love"/"The Lemon Song"

You don't like Led Zeppelin - big deal. No need to blow a trumpet about it. Just move on and listen & comment on bands you do like. It's not necessary to pollute a thread with expressing your distaste.
----
21.08.2014 - 15:26
Rating: 7
Ilham
Giant robot
I really don't understand why he shouldn't be allowed to express his distaste. I really don't understand the point of having threads to discuss artists if it's just to stay on the positive and suck each other's appendices because we all like the same music. The guy does seem to have a funny definition of what is plagiarism is, but still.
21.08.2014 - 16:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Agreed. Just because he expressed an opinion some of us disagree with doesn't mean he's "polluted" the thread. The whole point of a forum is to engage in discussion, not to partake in some kind of circle jerk. I like coming across different opinions, especially when it comes to a band of Zeppelin's status. I'd rather engage in a debate about why someone doesn't like them than to quote people back and forth about how great we are for loving the same music.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.08.2014 - 16:27
Rating: 7
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Well, I think that user above is now afraid to even explain more about his opinion when something like this " ... it is all hearsay for your kind of people (age wise that is) .... " was directed at him.
----
The Fangirl.
22.08.2014 - 00:35
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Okay, fair enough, I did go a bit too far with saying he has "polluted" the thread, but I certainly don't believe he isn't allowed to express his distaste, just that it isn't necessary, and especially when he has repeated a few times a claim that Marcel has clearly and accurately refuted.
----
24.10.2014 - 23:57
stunner_300
I didn't see that there were responses to my post x) i got no problem with people liking zeppelin but i can't stand a band that (partly?) rips off an other band .... and i don't think having influence = ripping off at all that's it
i rated it 6 finally to be a bit more objective.... but i REALLY CAN'T STAND THIS BAND

Hits total: 47978 | This month: 112