02. ...Of Forests Unknown...
03. Hávamál
04. Roman Land
05. Heralder
06. Læknishendr
07. Walkiesjar
08. Skirnir
09. Gjallar [bonus]

This is quite impressive I must say, I wasn't expecting such a varied album with so many elements to grab. Heralding The Fireblade is an awesome album with opposite songs distributed all over the place, they share in common one thing, the epic feel that only Falkenbach can give to them. This record includes all the elements you loved from the previous 3 albums from Falkenbach, acoustic guitars, moody keyboards, clean singing, group chanting, blackened screams, rapid riffing, etc.

The album starts with an excellent choice, "Heathen Foray" is an awesome song that features a play of chants so wonderful that I was completely astonished the first time I heard how the voices intertwined. But not everything is Epic and tranquil, when we arrive at track two "Of Forests Unknown" things take a U-turn, with some old-fashioned high-speed Black Metal song, next is the beautiful "Havamal" the Viking ballad of the album, if there's anything such as a Viking ballad.

The rest of the album continues exploring both sides of the coin, rhythmic segments countered by aggressive parts, both sections united by Folk and epic passages, it's bipolar, it's varied, it's Viking Metal at its best.

The whole album is about moods, in one section you're heading to the battle in your vessel, in the other you're at the campfire listening the tales from the bards. In one section you're struggling to defeat a skilled swordsman that has crossed your way, in the other your watching how the sun sets in the mountains.
Varied is the word, aggressive yet soothing, epic yet simple, grandiose yet not pretentious, this is by far the best album Falkenbach has released in their career.

Written by Undercraft | 07.02.2006

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 115 users
11.09.2006 - 21:02
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Imo, this is not the best Falkenbach album, I prefer "Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty" but "Heralding - The Fireblade" it's very good indeed.
My favorite song is the 'viking ballad' "Havamal" and "Heathen Foray" and well, the album creates very different atmospheres like Undercraft said, which makes the album really varied and creative
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
22.05.2007 - 14:37
SnowSword
Account deleted
Its a great of Falkenbach, but not the best. The album more perfect is ...Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri...
24.12.2007 - 20:33
Glen_Doom

I feel this album is the most epic from Vratyas and since Falkenbach is all about epicness I think this is their best album.
----
Spitting in the face of mainstream music !!!
29.12.2007 - 22:19
Arçaliz
Account deleted
It's a great album, had a good Epic compositions, but I prefer their previous work, Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty.
Great songs of this work are the imortal Havamal and Roman Land, future hymns of the Viking Metal.
10.01.2009 - 02:02
Rating: 9
Lehctim

Great album, especially considering it's a mix of material from 1995 to 2005.
11.01.2009 - 15:13
Rating: 9
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wow I love this, one of the best album in his genre.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
17.12.2009 - 17:52
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Not their best to me either. And as much as everyone loves ''...Magni Blandinn...'', I still prefer Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty.

About this one, is very good, Havamal is a perfect song. Worth every penny.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 7087 | This month: 6