Death metal
Canada
Nuclear Blast

Line-up on the CD:
Maurizio Iacono - vocals
J-F Dagenais - guitars
Stephane Barbe - bass
Max Duhamel - drums

Commercial death metal is - in the eyes of this reviewer - a dead sound. It is far too safe and lacks the integral extremity that makes for something in the genre's style worth listening to in the first place. Kataklysm, one of the more notable Canadian death metal connoisseurs, have taken their Northern Hyperblast trademark sound and ventured into generic territory. So much so you can judge this accurately just by the cover art: yet another appearance by the infamous gargoyle. It will probably sound a lot like the other gargoyle-graced albums.

And it does. Heaven's Venom, essentially Prevail diluted and stripped of its guts, contains bass-laden primal death metal riffing (chug chug chug ad nauseam) with some really nice melodies interspersed throughout the album. The songs generally flow together evenly, and the drumming keeps a fast pace - though noticeably monotonous - along with Iacono's typical hoarse growls. While each piece more or less works on its own, the album as a whole lacks cohesion. Those nice melodies are better suited for a power metal album, and solos are few and far between - not to mention completely forgettable. The flow is basically a result of each song blending together before eventually fading out and concluding what could have been a much better album. It comes across as a piece of plastic rather than something meant to entice you into repeated listens.

Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation. Perhaps it should be expected after releasing "poor man's" versions of the same release for an entire decade, which could be overlooked if some experimentation took place. But it doesn't. If the band members thought to make a desperate grab for a female vocalist or a new instrument or something, this album would at least fall between the lines of "good" and "very good". However, it continues treading the same path of its predecessors, and rarely takes time to stop and smell the roses.

At the end of the day these guys can do just about whatever they want in regards to their sound and their releases. They have a large fan following (most of whom won't be disappointed with this album) and a big label to back them up. This is merely a release to please the fans of the current style, nothing more.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 5
Production: 7

Written on 12.03.2011 by I'm total pro; that's what I'm here for.

Guest review by
Svneatr
Rating:
Kataklysm has been on the metal scene for a long time. Long enough to lose musical focus. Happily this is not the case as they have come back with one hell of a record. Heaven's Venom is the god forsaken love child of In The Arms Of Devastation and Serenity Of Fire. It's melodic and crushing to say the least.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2011 | Comments (4)

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 63   Visited by: 453 users
14.03.2011 - 01:22
MetalManic
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.03.2011 at 03:53

Written by MetalManic on 13.03.2011 at 03:48

Interesting. Metal Underground staff voted this the best metal album of 2010.

Do you have a link? Because I don't believe you.

MetalUnderground Best of 2010 http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=65557
14.03.2011 - 02:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by MetalManic on 14.03.2011 at 01:22

MetalUnderground Best of 2010 http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=65557

Just... Wow.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2011 - 02:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by MétalNoir on 13.03.2011 at 22:56

Kat isn't brutal death. They've been playing melodeath for a couple years now, so quit comparing them with "true DM". As a melodeath band, they're catchy yet heavy, and that's what you're looking for when listening to this subgenre. Not the most original album of the year, but it features some of the band's best riffs ever, imo (ex. Suicide River).

I know they aren't brutal death, and I think anyone who listens to them (or has listened to them) know they aren't brutal death. Hell, they haven't been "pure" death metal in nearly 10 years. They've added tons of melody to their sound since The Prophecy - the difference between that album and this, essentially, is the songwriting. Whereas The Prophecy's song structures were laid out more in "storytelling" form (as in the riffs grew together and generally worked from the foundation of the song to the end), this album just looks flat. The riffs stagnate and lead nowhere, the melodies are overused (or underused, depending on the song) and the production on the vocals leaves a lot to be desired.

I wasn't comparing them with true death metal bands, I was comparing them to themselves; old and modern, as well as judging the album on its own for what it's worth - which isn't a lot.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.03.2011 - 04:08
MetalManic
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2011 at 02:10

Just... Wow.

Just for the record, I too am not too wild about it
14.03.2011 - 08:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2011 at 02:10

Just... Wow.

Damn what a shit list. Als Dark Tranquillity and Iron Maiden in there. Must have stone deaf staff members.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 13:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 08:18

Damn what a shit list. Als Dark Tranquillity and Iron Maiden in there. Must have stone deaf staff members.

I was thinking the same thing. I feel like our users - let alone our Staff - have more taste.
----
14.03.2011 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.03.2011 at 13:28

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.03.2011 at 08:18

I was thinking the same thing. I feel like our users - let alone our Staff - have more taste.

Yep, although DT did win the best melodeath category here
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.03.2011 - 22:40
bluegreengod
Account deleted
I don't think Heaven's Venom is necessarily any better or worse than other kataklysm albums. The thing about Kataklysm is that the music doesn't really come alive on CD/MP3 whatever. These guys are a fucking beast live and I'm sure the HV stuff will sound pretty damn good in concert.
15.03.2011 - 01:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 14.03.2011 at 22:40

I don't think Heaven's Venom is necessarily any better or worse than other kataklysm albums. The thing about Kataklysm is that the music doesn't really come alive on CD/MP3 whatever. These guys are a fucking beast live and I'm sure the HV stuff will sound pretty damn good in concert.

I have to disagree with the first part. In my opinion this is just a stripped down version of their previous records - as pointed out in the review, so there's no need to get into detail. The second part is easy enough to answer though - this is a review of their CD, as in their digital sound. If I were to review their material as heard in concert, I would have written a concert review and chances are, I'd probably agree with you. Live music is an entirely different thing for almost everyone. Not everyone sits in the crowd analyzing the chord progression or drum patterns - you just have a good time and listen to some good music.

Unfortunately for me, those rules don't apply to album reviews.
----
15.03.2011 - 02:32
Rating: 10
thewall30
I completely disagree with this review, this album fucking slays!
----
16.03.2011 - 13:38
Horus
Written by RavenKing on 12.03.2011 at 06:48

Imo, DM has no future (in terms of creativity), in the sense that it will never get better than it is now and will only repeat itself over and over, ad vitam eternam and ad nauseam.

Thats probably true, but bands like Obscura WILL invent something new IMO. Oh, and new Kataklysm is really really bad
16.03.2011 - 16:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Horus on 16.03.2011 at 13:38

Written by RavenKing on 12.03.2011 at 06:48

Imo, DM has no future (in terms of creativity), in the sense that it will never get better than it is now and will only repeat itself over and over, ad vitam eternam and ad nauseam.

Thats probably true, but bands like Obscura WILL invent something new IMO. Oh, and new Kataklysm is really really bad

I think technical/progressive/whatever death metal always has room to grow, as it's a continuation of "regular" death metal. Death metal on its own is definitely running out of ideas, if not already having been run dry. I love death metal, I even listen to modern bands that play death metal and enjoy it, but if you take a step back and analyze the songwriting...there really isn't much left in the tank.
----
11.04.2011 - 09:03
Hellhound
While I didn't enjoy Heaven's Venom as much as previous Kataklysm albums, I can't help but feel the reviewer was a bit harsh in his judgement. However, I do agree that Kataklysm took a rather "boring" approach to Heaven's Venom that turned me off the album almost instantly. While it is entirely possible that I misunderstood the reviewer saying, "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," seems like a direct jab fraught with opinion and not fact. I can understand if the reviewer doesn't personally like the artist, but part of a journalist's integrity is remaining objective.
14.04.2011 - 18:01
Rating: 5
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Hellhound on 11.04.2011 at 09:03
While I didn't enjoy Heaven's Venom as much as previous Kataklysm albums, I can't help but feel the reviewer was a bit harsh in his judgement. However, I do agree that Kataklysm took a rather "boring" approach to Heaven's Venom that turned me off the album almost instantly. While it is entirely possible that I misunderstood the reviewer saying, "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," seems like a direct jab fraught with opinion and not fact. I can understand if the reviewer doesn't personally like the artist, but part of a journalist's integrity is remaining objective.
I can't tell if you've heard all their albums from 2000-2004 (+ 98)... but my guess is that you haven't. Right? Kata are now probably even more predictable than Cannibal Corpse
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
15.04.2011 - 02:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

While it is entirely possible that I misunderstood the reviewer saying, "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," seems like a direct jab fraught with opinion and not fact. I can understand if the reviewer doesn't personally like the artist, but part of a journalist's integrity is remaining objective.

You didn't misunderstand anything. Almost all of my reviews contain statements that are my opinion and therefore not fact. I don't have "journalistic integrity" in this regard; if you want a review solely describing an album based on facts, don't bother reading my reviews. I incorporate fact and opinion, and that's the way I will continue to do it.
----
15.04.2011 - 02:29
Hellhound
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.04.2011 at 02:21

While it is entirely possible that I misunderstood the reviewer saying, "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," seems like a direct jab fraught with opinion and not fact. I can understand if the reviewer doesn't personally like the artist, but part of a journalist's integrity is remaining objective.

You didn't misunderstand anything. Almost all of my reviews contain statements that are my opinion and therefore not fact. I don't have "journalistic integrity" in this regard; if you want a review solely describing an album based on facts, don't bother reading my reviews. I incorporate fact and opinion, and that's the way I will continue to do it.

My apologies. I clearly did misunderstand. I was thinking these were fact based reviews rather than editorials. I didn't mean to get so preachy. My apologies.
15.04.2011 - 02:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Hellhound on 15.04.2011 at 02:29

My apologies. I clearly did misunderstand. I was thinking these were fact based reviews rather than editorials. I didn't mean to get so preachy. My apologies.

If you want to think of them as editorials, that's your prerogative.
----
15.04.2011 - 02:34
Hellhound
Written by Syk on 14.04.2011 at 18:01

I can't tell if you've heard all their albums from 2000-2004 (+ 98)... but my guess is that you haven't. Right? Kata are now probably even more predictable than Cannibal Corpse

Nah, I heard em, and you are right. Kataklysm is extremely predictable. I don't mind it all that much though. When I feel like listening to Kataklysm I do. When I want a different sound I listen to something else. A band doesn't have to play six different styles to keep me entertained. As for the rest of that comment: I was merely taking offense at the reviewers apparent lack of actual facts to support his claims. I am a journalism student myself and it seemed like a gross case of using opinion as fact. He didn't take too kindly to it either.
15.04.2011 - 03:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin

i have a nice big long article on how strictly "objective" reviews are fucking useless that needs clean-up before i post it. this is yet another push to get me motivated to completing it.

limiting a review to what is "fact" destroys the entire purpose of the review. a good review should mix both some degree of "facts" coupled with great bits of opinion... sharing the experience the reviewer had listening to the album to others who might be interested in checking it out.

stripping it down to just "album contains X songs and lasts YY minutes. The guitars use distortion. The vocalist uses a clean voice. blah blah blah (QUANTIFIABLE FACTS DEVOID OF OPINION) words words words" renders it useless.

I really need to do an objective review. any time someone complains about opinions in reviews, just direct them to it.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.04.2011 - 03:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

fact based reviews

You've piqued my curiosity. Please cite some examples of "fact-based" music reviews because I can't fathom how that would ever work.
15.04.2011 - 07:43
Hellhound
Written by Guest on 15.04.2011 at 03:38

fact based reviews

You've piqued my curiosity. Please cite some examples of "fact-based" music reviews because I can't fathom how that would ever work.

Ah, a smartass. Great. Unfortunately I am not about to scour the internet in an attempt to find a "fact-based" music review. If you gave a second thought about what I said and pulled your head out of your ass to think you may have realized that I was objecting to the reviewers use of his own opinion as fact. "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," is not fact it is opinion. In conclusion using fact and opinion to review something is only effective if the reviewer actually gives examples from the music and doesn't just expect his opinion to be taken as fact.
15.04.2011 - 07:47
Hellhound
Written by BitterCOld on 15.04.2011 at 03:38

i have a nice big long article on how strictly "objective" reviews are fucking useless that needs clean-up before i post it. this is yet another push to get me motivated to completing it.

limiting a review to what is "fact" destroys the entire purpose of the review. a good review should mix both some degree of "facts" coupled with great bits of opinion... sharing the experience the reviewer had listening to the album to others who might be interested in checking it out.

stripping it down to just "album contains X songs and lasts YY minutes. The guitars use distortion. The vocalist uses a clean voice. blah blah blah (QUANTIFIABLE FACTS DEVOID OF OPINION) words words words" renders it useless.

I really need to do an objective review. any time someone complains about opinions in reviews, just direct them to it.

You really are an idiot. Id hold off on finishing that review as posting such tripe will only direct people's attention to your obvious ignorance. Now to your reply: I am in no way implying that the reviewer should just state facts from the album. Rather the reviewer should try and use examples from the music to provide evidence for his claims. He can still share the experience of listening to the album, but stating opinion without any evidence is lazy child's play. Now, piss off.
15.04.2011 - 09:01
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Hellhound on 15.04.2011 at 07:47

You really are an idiot. Id hold off on finishing that review as posting such tripe will only direct people's attention to your obvious ignorance. Now to your reply: I am in no way implying that the reviewer should just state facts from the album. Rather the reviewer should try and use examples from the music to provide evidence for his claims. He can still share the experience of listening to the album, but stating opinion without any evidence is lazy child's play. Now, piss off.

ooh. the journalism student has attitude.

i just still find it hilarious you bitch about "fact based reviews" and "editorials". reviews have always been closer to the later... but maybe that's in the 201 course.

when dealing with music, it's open to vast degrees of interpretation with precious little by way of fact. clunking up his review with multiple citations of "riff a from the x:xx to y:za time of track 5 is a direct rip off of earlier release Q, song O's primary riff..." most bands recycle ideas. i think for the purpose of a 250-500 word review, simply stating an act is growing stale is good enough. it doesn't matter what 'fact' he cites. people who agree will agree. people who disagree, even in presence of 'fact' will still disagree.

you're the one who dropped "journalistic integrity" in your first post. the blend of objectivity and subjectivity in reviews was brought up by my post that you are referring to. it was previously untouched be you. so break out the thesaurus and toss personal attacks all you'd like. it's just tap dancing to me.

and still lmfao at 'journalistic integrity'.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.04.2011 - 13:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Hellhound on 15.04.2011 at 07:43

Ah, a smartass. Great. Unfortunately I am not about to scour the internet in an attempt to find a "fact-based" music review. If you gave a second thought about what I said and pulled your head out of your ass to think you may have realized that I was objecting to the reviewers use of his own opinion as fact. "Despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, especially given the lack of overall innovation," is not fact it is opinion. In conclusion using fact and opinion to review something is only effective if the reviewer actually gives examples from the music and doesn't just expect his opinion to be taken as fact.

For a journalism student you clearly don't read many reviews do you. Generally speaking (and by generally I of course mean always) reviewers and the readers tend to have an understanding that a review is not something based on fact or the reviews would end up reading: ""In my opinion, despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, in my opinion, especially given the lack of overall innovation. In my opinion of course"

There's nothing in this review that is any different to the format used in every other review on this site, and probably every other review ever written so why you suddenly became so confused is a bit baffling, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact it didn't correspond to your opinion of the record. No of course not, these questions of journalistic integrity quite often pop up even when the complainer is in total agreement with the opinion of the reviewer... Reviews are as much about entertaining as they are informing so this factual analysis you speak of would no doubt render most reviews boring forays into technical analysis, and seeing as there's a word limit to the reviews on this site it wouldn't work out very well I don't think.

Maybe they'll cover music reviews in class at some point eh?

I really think this site should offer a free cushion with every review to care for the butthurt people that pass by.
17.04.2011 - 04:43
Hellhound
Written by BitterCOld on 15.04.2011 at 09:01

Written by Hellhound on 15.04.2011 at 07:47

ooh. the journalism student has attitude.

i just still find it hilarious you bitch about "fact based reviews" and "editorials". reviews have always been closer to the later... but maybe that's in the 201 course.

when dealing with music, it's open to vast degrees of interpretation with precious little by way of fact. clunking up his review with multiple citations of "riff a from the x:xx to y:za time of track 5 is a direct rip off of earlier release Q, song O's primary riff..." most bands recycle ideas. i think for the purpose of a 250-500 word review, simply stating an act is growing stale is good enough. it doesn't matter what 'fact' he cites. people who agree will agree. people who disagree, even in presence of 'fact' will still disagree.

you're the one who dropped "journalistic integrity" in your first post. the blend of objectivity and subjectivity in reviews was brought up by my post that you are referring to. it was previously untouched be you. so break out the thesaurus and toss personal attacks all you'd like. it's just tap dancing to me.

and still lmfao at 'journalistic integrity'.

Yes I do. Go fuck yourself.

Jesus Christ, its like banging my head against a fucking wall. All I am getting is a headache. When you can write a proper sentence we can talk, until then I refuse to dance in circles with you. I believe completely opinion based are bullshit, if you want to bitch about my statement that fact and examples should be included to give the reader some kind of basis than that is your choice. Journalistic integrity is about keeping your bias to yourself. The bias will only taint your experience and viewers aren't getting what they wanted when they read something written by someone who has nothing but contempt for what they are reviewing.
17.04.2011 - 04:53
Hellhound
Written by Guest on 15.04.2011 at 13:05

Written by Hellhound on 15.04.2011 at 07:43

For a journalism student you clearly don't read many reviews do you. Generally speaking (and by generally I of course mean always) reviewers and the readers tend to have an understanding that a review is not something based on fact or the reviews would end up reading: ""In my opinion, despite their foray into contemporary waters, Kataklysm's style is outdated and dull. The predictable song structures make for a rather boring listen, in my opinion, especially given the lack of overall innovation. In my opinion of course"

There's nothing in this review that is any different to the format used in every other review on this site, and probably every other review ever written so why you suddenly became so confused is a bit baffling, but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact it didn't correspond to your opinion of the record. No of course not, these questions of journalistic integrity quite often pop up even when the complainer is in total agreement with the opinion of the reviewer... Reviews are as much about entertaining as they are informing so this factual analysis you speak of would no doubt render most reviews boring forays into technical analysis, and seeing as there's a word limit to the reviews on this site it wouldn't work out very well I don't think.

Maybe they'll cover music reviews in class at some point eh?

I really think this site should offer a free cushion with every review to care for the butthurt people that pass by.

Reading reviews as you define them and actual journalism are nothing similar dumbass. Real journalism doesn't let things like bias get between it and the truth. However, if you want to stick your head in the metaphorical sand then you are free to do so. Do me a favor though, open your mouth and let some of the sand in there as I am getting tired of listening to you bitch. After seeing an example of your writing I am surprised you actually managed to write complete sentences. If you think writing like an idiot helps you prove your point you are sorely mistaken. It did give me a chuckle though and for that I thank you. I haven't seen writing that atrocious since high school. Thanks for the memories.

Excuse me, I thought review meant the writer would let me know more about the music and less about his obvious bias towards said music. I do happen to agree with the reviewer. He is a talented, entertaining writer with obvious talent. What I didn't appreciate was the obvious bias shown without so much as an attempt to explain why he felt the music was "dull" or "outdated." For that matter he didn't explain exactly what made it "dull" either. That is what I took issue with. Stating an opinion without fact to back it up is just self-important drivel.

Maybe they will have that introductory writing class for idiots some time. Then you can attend and learn how to make actually hold an argument without looking ignorant.

I was perfectly happy havin a discussion with the reviewer. You were the one that started bitching at me.
17.04.2011 - 05:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Hellhound on 17.04.2011 at 04:53

I do happen to agree with the reviewer. He is a talented, entertaining writer with obvious talent. What I didn't appreciate was the obvious bias shown without so much as an attempt to explain why he felt the music was "dull" or "outdated." For that matter he didn't explain exactly what made it "dull" either. That is what I took issue with. Stating an opinion without fact to back it up is just self-important drivel.

First of all, thanks for the compliments.

Second of all, my overall review should be enough of a "fact" for you to understand why I think this album is boring (if that doesn't sound like too much of a contradiction). I mentioned the songs flowing together only because they all sound the same, the melodic riffs (despite one or two enjoyable moments) are almost power metal-esque (hence, generic contemporary death metal), the album sounds like a stripped-down version of everything they've been doing for the past decade.

Of course, a lot of that is more or less opinionated. Sometimes what I think sounds the same, others find variety. When I hear power metal-type riffing, others hear amazing death metal musicianship, when I say the album's a stripped down version of its predecessors, others think it's the most innovative album the band has produced.

I just want to point out that, even with "facts", there will always be those who argue against a reviewer. The only indisputable information I can provide is track length (unless a digital copy is altered), band name, album title, instruments used during the recording process (if they're listed, otherwise everything could be programmed, which would also be included in the liner notes hopefully), etc.

There isn't much in terms of facts that I can provide in a review that reviewers will unanimously agree with aside from information that doesn't evoke a response in the first place. Nobody is going to read this and say "this wasn't released by Kataklysm", because it was, that's a fact. Some people might read this review and say "this isn't death metal", and they're right, because that's an opinion.

I'm not even sure I really answered your question. Hopefully it's enough for you to understand that I don't try to force-feed my audience with opinions I try to pass off as fact.
----
18.04.2011 - 01:52
Hellhound
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.04.2011 at 05:25

Written by Hellhound on 17.04.2011 at 04:53

I do happen to agree with the reviewer. He is a talented, entertaining writer with obvious talent. What I didn't appreciate was the obvious bias shown without so much as an attempt to explain why he felt the music was "dull" or "outdated." For that matter he didn't explain exactly what made it "dull" either. That is what I took issue with. Stating an opinion without fact to back it up is just self-important drivel.

First of all, thanks for the compliments.

Second of all, my overall review should be enough of a "fact" for you to understand why I think this album is boring (if that doesn't sound like too much of a contradiction). I mentioned the songs flowing together only because they all sound the same, the melodic riffs (despite one or two enjoyable moments) are almost power metal-esque (hence, generic contemporary death metal), the album sounds like a stripped-down version of everything they've been doing for the past decade.

Of course, a lot of that is more or less opinionated. Sometimes what I think sounds the same, others find variety. When I hear power metal-type riffing, others hear amazing death metal musicianship, when I say the album's a stripped down version of its predecessors, others think it's the most innovative album the band has produced.

I just want to point out that, even with "facts", there will always be those who argue against a reviewer. The only indisputable information I can provide is track length (unless a digital copy is altered), band name, album title, instruments used during the recording process (if they're listed, otherwise everything could be programmed, which would also be included in the liner notes hopefully), etc.

There isn't much in terms of facts that I can provide in a review that reviewers will unanimously agree with aside from information that doesn't evoke a response in the first place. Nobody is going to read this and say "this wasn't released by Kataklysm", because it was, that's a fact. Some people might read this review and say "this isn't death metal", and they're right, because that's an opinion.

I'm not even sure I really answered your question. Hopefully it's enough for you to understand that I don't try to force-feed my audience with opinions I try to pass off as fact.

Well I don't compliment people for nothing.

This whole situation has gotten out of hand. I was ready to call it a day with what I said before. I do agree with you though. Heaven's Venom was the by far the most generic Kataklysm album.

Well there is always gonna be a difference of opinion and I think I found that I wasn't allowed to post my own opinion without raising a shit storm. I respect your opinion as a writer and I think I have said this before but the review was quite well written despite the issue I took with that one sentence.

There is no "standard" in music so there is really nothing to measure against. My whole tirade up to this point has been more or less about backing up information with something beside your word. However, when you are reviewing something as open to interpretation as music, it seems that a reviewers word would have to be taken as fact. Im just thinking out loud here.

I never tried to suggest you were force-feeding something to your audience and it seems like most of them (two obvious candidates not included of course) would be able to get a rough understanding of how the album sounds. To wrap this debacle up once and for all I just want to close saying that I apologize if I ruffled any feathers on this forum. I was merely trying to present another point of view. I think that covers everything.
18.04.2011 - 01:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Hellhound on 18.04.2011 at 01:52

To wrap this debacle up once and for all I just want to close saying that I apologize if I ruffled any feathers on this forum. I was merely trying to present another point of view. I think that covers everything.

I think it's safe to say nobody went home injured so we can call this a matter of agreeing to disagree, nothing more. I'm not one to dissuade people from voicing their opinions, especially when it comes to posting in a music-related thread.
----
18.04.2011 - 02:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Blaaah blaaah blaaah blaaah

Hits total: 9467 | This month: 16