Metal Storm logo

Original post

Posted by SteTech, 11.09.2006 - 21:35
Hyper-speed black metal with Frost of Satyricon on drums. Saw them last Friday night with Zyklon and Enslaved and they were fucking awesome. I have Hellfire and Beyond The Apocalypse, and I must say Hellfire is a great album, one of the best black metal albums I've heard
11.05.2009 - 02:17
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I just got some of their stuff and I'm listening to them right now. This band is "damned" good! I usually take some time to feel a band out but I really like what they do! The soundscape feeling they have sets up a really good kilter with what they put together writing wise.

I get a bit of the "Abruptum" feel in what they're doing as well which is pretty damn sweet too.
----
11.05.2009 - 23:32
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
Just listened to the new album and... WTF HAPPENED TO 1349?!
12.05.2009 - 02:15
mankvill
Whut?!
12.05.2009 - 12:03
Baz Anderson
Staff
Well it is much much different to what they put out before. I don't know if I like it or not.
For the most part probably not, because hardly anything is going on..
"Maggot Fetus... Teeth Like Thorns" is a good track though.. that's pretty much the only time they use blastbeats in the whole album. Hahaha..
12.05.2009 - 20:29
Smurfkiller
Account deleted
It's like they didn't even try. =/
12.05.2009 - 22:00
ß
Problem?
1349 and next to no blast beats that can't be possible
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
13.05.2009 - 01:23
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Blast beats in black metal is so overrated.... Frost isn't even all that fast anyways. Normally I'd prefer a midpaced 1349, but without Tjalve my hopes remain low.
16.05.2009 - 21:19
I loved Revelations of the black Flame promo. It will sound strange, but I expected a major change in sound because of Tom Gabriel Fischer being involved. However I understand why the changes were painful to majority of fans. Still it's a black metal/ambient masterpiece and in my eyes the only problem of this album is it being too short - not enough bm tracks...
20.05.2009 - 00:03
ß
Problem?
I listened to Revelations of The Black Flame about a week ago. I can't say I was too impressed by it, I should of expected a major difference in sound because Tom Gabriel Fischer played a major part in it but it seemed to take me by surprise. Imo most of it sounds quite bland and Ravn isn't a solid vocalist to begin with, his vocals on this release seem to be weaker. I'm also a big fan of ambient black metal but all the ambient parts in the songs just seem like filler. It's not I think the cd's bad or anything it's just A LOT different. Ill give it another listen to see if my opinion changes.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
23.05.2009 - 21:24
Got Mayhem?
I think the majority of fans liked 1349 because of the speed and intensity of their music. With the new album they really cut back in the department and because of that not many people can get into the new songs...
----
24.05.2009 - 00:10
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
It took me ages to get into 1349 and when I did it was all the more rewarding. Kind of like the Nile or Behemoth of black metal, ultra fast, brutal and fairly technical (obviously not as technical as Nile but few are). I've listened to some of the new stuff and I don't think it's worth buying.
25.05.2009 - 11:05
pazuzuovbabel
Pazuzu
The new album is really interesting....they are experiencing a new level....although its not so original, but i like it more that their previous album "hellfire"
25.05.2009 - 15:02
matos
I think the new album is some sort of Ravn's attempt to create a black metal pink floyd album, i also believe Tjalve made 1349 sound like they used to, with him gone, Ravn had free hands to experiment; being a huge fan of Pink Floyd, he probably thought it would be a good idea to combine extreme black metal with Pink Floyd sound.
However i think the attempt failed, you can say something like:"you don't like it just because it's different", but i don't like it because it lacks, well a lot of things, like asmoday said it's too short, simply not enough material, this album is nothing else but 3 black metal songs, extended to full-length album by adding atmosphere, a cover song and some mixing.
If you ask me album should have been released as EP, or not a 1349 album at all.
----
25.05.2009 - 21:21
Krankheit
Account deleted
Just listened to some clips from their e-card. Very different, but I will check out the album anyway.
27.05.2009 - 13:01
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
I dont like the new album....at all really. seriously, the first 10 minutes of the album minus the second song is an introduction. the rest of the tracks arent that 1349ish either. i dont approve of this new album. their outro song "At The Gate..." symbolizes their choice between either going with the rapid fire, AK-47 tone i'm used to 1349 showing or the shitty, slowed down Satyricon sound that is being adopted amongst Frost's respective bands, leading me to believe Frost is responsible for the downwards spiral of both bands.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
27.05.2009 - 14:09
NorwayIlona
Account deleted
This makes very interesting reading....I must say.... I'll check out their new album when I get home.
29.05.2009 - 01:51
Lord_Regnier
Written by LeChron James on 27.05.2009 at 13:01

I dont like the new album....at all really. seriously, the first 10 minutes of the album minus the second song is an introduction. the rest of the tracks arent that 1349ish either. i dont approve of this new album. their outro song "At The Gate..." symbolizes their choice between either going with the rapid fire, AK-47 tone i'm used to 1349 showing or the shitty, slowed down Satyricon sound that is being adopted amongst Frost's respective bands, leading me to believe Frost is responsible for the downwards spiral of both bands.

I like Satyricon very much but only until "Nemesis Divina" (incl). The Black n Roll-era Satyricon is utter crap, from my point of view, and a disgrace to Black Metal.

As for 1349, I never checked it thoroughly, but the songs I heard had not much to offer, imo, apart from an armageddon of blastbeats by Frost (he's fucking awesome in 1349). They failed to catch my interest but perhaps it would be a good idea for me to check this band again more thoroughly and attentively.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
29.05.2009 - 02:37
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Lord_Regnier on 29.05.2009 at 01:51

I like Satyricon very much but only until "Nemesis Divina" (incl). The Black n Roll-era Satyricon is utter crap, from my point of view, and a disgrace to Black Metal.

As for 1349, I never checked it thoroughly, but the songs I heard had not much to offer, imo, apart from an armageddon of blastbeats by Frost (he's fucking awesome in 1349). They failed to catch my interest but perhaps it would be a good idea for me to check this band again more thoroughly and attentively.

yeah old Satyricon is amazing. this stuff they're slingin nowadays is disgusting.

yeah i got the album a few days ago and most of the songs are fillers. granted theyre for "atmospheric" purposes but its really over the top and not 1349 at all. not the 1349 i know and love. but their cover of "Set the Controls for The Heart of The Sun" is pretty interesting, despite the fact you have to play the song unreasonably loud to hear Ravn do the vocals, which are pretty much whispers and fierce growls. and i agree, frost is incredible in 1349. hes damn fast in the cover song too despite its slow, atmospheric pace. its the one song where the atmospheriic elements work.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.05.2009 - 02:59
Lord_Regnier
I don't understand people who say Frost is "not that fast". 1349 is insanely fast on drums.

My guess is those people base their opinion on what we could call 'the popular and mainstream Shittyricon' and not on 1349 or the good old Satyricon (though "Dark Medieval Times" and "The Shadowthrone" had fast parts but they were much less frequent than on "Nemesis Divina").
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
30.06.2009 - 13:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well I finally heard the new album and it's just too pretentious for it's own good. For fuck's sake it only has like three real songs! Sure it's not as bad as many people have been saying, but it's still not worth buying. Some of the ambient parts are really creepy, but there's just too much ambiance and often times it is just too drawn out. Uncreation is my favorite song from the new album, but that's still not perfect.

I like Ravn's vocals, even though they sound more processed, robotic, overproduced, etc..... it just has this droning Satanic edge to them now while before his voice was a little generic.

I wonder what's next for 1349. I think that if they mixed Revelations of the Black Flame with Beyond the Apocalypse they could make a masterpiece, but I just don't see it happening.

The Pink Floyd cover is bullshit.

@Joose
01.07.2009 - 01:09
Got Mayhem?
^+1.
It's like they tried to do what Marduk did with ROM 5:12: Slow it down, add atmosphere.
The difference is that Marduk made an interesting album. 1349 kinda failed doing that with Revelations.
----
29.09.2009 - 15:54
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Just got my hands on this within the last 24 hours, and I'm trying to give it a solid listen to now - been acquiring lots of lessor known bands at the same time, so lots to listen to!

It does seem like there is roughly three and a half, maybe four BM tracks, and they seem good for what they are. I was however, expecting some thing very dark and brooding, but with a more vicious attack to it. I'll have to agree with matos, this probably should have been left as an EP, and this is why file sharing is great, so we get to sample and the work before shelling out $20+ for an album that may not be worth it.
01.10.2009 - 22:18
Ur-Drago
Revelations of the Black Flame is good with the exception of all the filler.
14.10.2009 - 07:39
stephenssaiyan
Account deleted
About as appealing as Unlord
24.12.2011 - 07:19
Void Eater
Account deleted
24.12.2011 - 07:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Satanic Propaganda anyone?

No wait, Maker of Strange Clothes. Sculptor of Denim. Riders of the Runway!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.03.2012 - 00:45
Branzig
Demonoir is more on track, they more successfully mixed ambient with raw, unadulterated black metal. I like it anyway.

Not as good as their older stuff, but you have to expect an artist to grow and diversify...No one wants to listen to the same album being put out over and over again, unless you're like a Static X fan or sumtin.
----
In Grind We Crust
07.03.2012 - 06:52
Savopipo
Written by Guest on 24.12.2011 at 07:19

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167521 1349 are now designer clothing artist's.

Horror! What's next, an anti-ageing cream????
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
07.03.2012 - 15:40
Branzig
Written by Guest on 24.12.2011 at 07:19

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167521 1349 are now designer clothing artist's.

Yeah....

as much as I enjoy 1349, this is really pretty embarrassing haha.

Nothing is more kvlt, necro, tortured than getting out your be-dazzler and playing with a pair of Levis....It's just hard to fit it in between your cross-stitching and knitting time!
----
In Grind We Crust