Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
25.02.2015 - 04:59
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 25.02.2015 at 04:56

For some reason an interview was the last thing I would have been looking for. Shame on me...oh well! Thanks for the tip

Same when I first started out working on the Db until Troy gave me the idea. Been a very useful idea ever since, has helped me verify and update many a profile through the years.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

25.02.2015 - 09:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I agree ints are greta place where to search line up, demo's instrments
Cntr F - great option there you can search name what so ever (but probably you all know it)
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.02.2015 - 02:36
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
28.02.2015 - 03:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 28.02.2015 at 02:36

Would these 2 be the same guy?
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=11474 http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/bandmember.php?member_id=11457

interesting MA; don't list him as main man, just last album sessional
He was addet at same time look at number url

I bet he is, gonna investigate
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2015 - 03:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Let lex deal whit it --- some sources says yes, some no, some even don't mention him
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2015 - 03:53
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Suppose a band breaks up and reforms - if any of the members in the reformation were there at the time of the break-up, should they have a gap in their line-up to represent the "years of inactivity"? To me it seems redundant given that it's obvious that if the band was inactive, so would the members. For instance, styles generally don't have gaps for the years of break-up. For instance, At The Gates' style remained post-break up and thus has no gap. The members, however, have a gap and I think it looks silly. Gorguts, for instance, has this issue fixed and looks nicer IMO. Just curious if there'a a rule for this...
01.03.2015 - 04:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 01.03.2015 at 03:53

Suppose a band breaks up and reforms - if any of the members in the reformation were there at the time of the break-up, should they have a gap in their line-up as "years of inactivity"? To me it seems redundant given that it's obvious that if the band was inactive, so would the members. For instance, the styles don't have gaps for the years of break-up. For instance, At The Gates has this issue, where the style remains the same and thus has n gap. The members, however, do and I think it looks silly. Gorguts, for instance, has this issue fixed and looks nicer IMO. Just curious if there'a a rule for this...

'
read http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=52925, or PM Lex

At The Gates must be fixed, unfortunately not many do it and I try to but it takes a time for all

Now new riles
if band splits up , put genres to the end, line up as well
Hiatus, just edit put hiatus years, leave rest as running

band reforms , take out split up year, split up from genres, , split up year from departed line up and keep running and add split up period into box
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2015 - 04:10
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2015 at 04:04

Now new riles
band reforms , take out split up year, split up from genres, , split up year from departed line up and keep running and add split up period into box

Cool

Can you remove the redundant line-up years from Asesino and At The Gates? Those are the two I've found so far that have this issue. For some reason I don't have the perms...
01.03.2015 - 04:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 01.03.2015 at 04:10

Written by Bad English on 01.03.2015 at 04:04

Now new riles

Cool

Can you remove the redundant line-up years from Asesino and At The Gates? Those are the two I've found so far that have this issue. For some reason I don't have the perms...

done
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2015 - 04:28
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Bad English on 01.03.2015 at 04:23

done

I found another one that needs fixing: Angelcorpse

Edit: also Down.
01.03.2015 - 12:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
And remember always investigate when deal line up, it should be original and should follow broke up rules , if band member came and go but don't follow that new rule, don't follow hiatus / Broke up years, leave him whit multiple years
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2015 - 12:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Down is done, second band also, but there need to fix only 3 members since others was good , just in case
----

apos;'
[image]
01.03.2015 - 14:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Cheers dude
01.03.2015 - 17:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This band split up in 2004 why line up has until 2013?

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=363&bandname=Morgion

and broken periods?
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2015 - 05:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Question: if an instrumental progressive metal band's album features guest vocals on close to half of its tracks, is it still to be labelled as instrumental prog?

Jeff Loomis is the band in question. Plains Of Oblivion fits that description and his Requiem For The Living EP features vocals on 3 out of the 4 tracks. Solution?
08.03.2015 - 12:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 05:33

Question: if an instrumental progressive metal band's album features guest vocals on close to half of its tracks, is it still to be labelled as instrumental prog?

Jeff Loomis is the band in question. Plains Of Oblivion fits that description and his Requiem For The Living EP features vocals on 3 out of the 4 tracks. Solution?

Good question
anyway
Joe Satriani - Flying In A Blue Dream
add prog rock, n this album he did sing, only one where he is singimng
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2015 - 22:23
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 05:33

The main page style should remain as instrumental prog for now, the EP page should be changed to prog metal (ie drop the instrumental part of the tag). Should he decide to add a permanent vocalist, or continue writing albums where majority of tracks contain guest vocals then we will go back and retro-drop the instrumental tag.

@BE We would only add prog rock if the majority of the album features vocals. If only a few songs feature some guest vocals then leave it tagged with the default instrumental tag (Idk if Flying In A Blue Dream has many guest vocalists or not). See Powerglove's Saturday Morning Apocalypse for example - this album only features 2 songs with guest vocals so it stays with the default profile tag.
----

08.03.2015 - 22:39
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 22:23

The main page style should remain as instrumental prog for now, the EP page should be changed to prog metal (ie drop the instrumental part of the tag). Should he decide to add a permanent vocalist, or continue writing albums where majority of tracks contain guest vocals then we will go back and retro-drop the instrumental tag.

Concerning the EP, I'd do it, but I don't have the perms

Should instrumental be removed from his second album seeing as 50% contains vocals? Just for that album and the EP.
08.03.2015 - 22:57
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
What's the deal with Devin Townsend's profile? Seems they broke up or had a hiatus for 2 years...
08.03.2015 - 23:03
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Two questions:
1. Do we differentiate between clean vocals and screams? It appears to be a minor inconsistency on the website.
2. If, say, a guitarist were to start performing vocals in addition to guitars, which of these would be appropriate:

Guitars: #### -
Vocals: #### -

OR

Guitars: #### - ####
Guitars, vocals: #### -
08.03.2015 - 23:12
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 22:39

Concerning the EP, I'd do it, but I don't have the perms

Should instrumental be removed from his second album seeing as 50% contains vocals? Just for that album and the EP.

No, because the main release (without the bonus tracks) is only 3 of 10 tracks with vocals. With the 2 bonus tracks that's 5 of 12, still less than half.
----

08.03.2015 - 23:13
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 22:57

What's the deal with Devin Townsend's profile? Seems they broke up or had a hiatus for 2 years...

Far as I know he never went on hiatus. O_o
----

08.03.2015 - 23:18
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 23:13

Far as I know he never went on hiatus. O_o

Yup, just found an interview to validate that. Thanks for the a tip a while back
08.03.2015 - 23:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 23:12

No, because the main release (without the bonus tracks) is only 3 of 10 tracks with vocals. With the 2 bonus tracks that's 5 of 12, still less than half.

All right, makes sense. It's up to you to make the change for the EP now
08.03.2015 - 23:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 22:23

[

@BE We would only add prog rock if the majority of the album features vocals. If only a few songs feature some guest vocals then leave it tagged with the default instrumental tag (Idk if Flying In A Blue Dream has many guest vocalists or not). See Powerglove's Saturday Morning Apocalypse for example - this album only features 2 songs with guest vocals so it stays with the default profile tag.

its affirmative , I have bootleg tape(well my old man has , so its mine LOL ) if I recall only one song was instr. rest album has HIS vocals

PS I fidex Jeff Loomis EP as prog metal, I hope I did it right ?
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2015 - 23:24
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 23:03

Two questions:
1. Do we differentiate between clean vocals and screams? It appears to be a minor inconsistency on the website.

Yes and no. For example, we're not going to tag Barnes and Fisher as growlers/screamers/extreme vocals for Cannibal Corpse. But I believe we do have a tendency differentiate in cases where there are dedicated clean and scream/growl vocalists. Although I can't think of any such profiles off the top of my head. Also don't recall that ever actually being discussed up above before. Can you link some of these "inconsistencies", please, for the sake of discussing it up above to create an official ruling.
Quote:

2. If, say, a guitarist were to start performing vocals in addition to guitars, which of these would be appropriate:

Guitars: #### - ####
Guitars, vocals: #### -

This one. See Simon Berglund, of Zonaria - he started as guitarist/vocalist, switched to only vocals, then back to guitarist/vocalist.
----

08.03.2015 - 23:33
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 23:24

Yes and no. For example, we're not going to tag Barnes and Fisher as growlers/screamers/extreme vocals for Cannibal Corpse. But I believe we do have a tendency differentiate in cases where there are dedicated clean and scream/growl vocalists. Although I can't think of any such profiles off the top of my head. Also don't recall that ever actually being discussed up above before. Can you link some of these "inconsistencies", please, for the sake of discussing it up above to create an official ruling.

Unfortunately, I took the liberty of changing both clean vocals and screams to simply vocals in the past, so there aren't that many inconsistencies remaining off the top of my head. Insomnium still shows the distinction - I was just about to change the cleans to simply vocals, but it's good that I asked beforehand. If I see any of those profiles that I edited in the past, I'll change it to differentiate between cleans and screams.
Quote:

This one. See Simon Berglund, of Zonaria - he started as guitarist/vocalist, switched to only vocals, then back to guitarist/vocalist.

Good to know. I always thought it was the other one. I'll keep that in mind.
08.03.2015 - 23:36
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Some other bands that should have a distinction are Mastodon and Leprous. Some members only perform screams or cleans respectively.

Edit: we should formulate a specific term for harsh vocals to maintain consistency. Some ideas:
- growls
- screams
- harsh vocals
- extreme vocals

Personally I think the first two indicate low and high screams respectively, while the last two seem to be more general and more applicable to all vocalists using that style.
08.03.2015 - 23:54
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by LeKiwi on 08.03.2015 at 23:33

If I see any of those profiles that I edited in the past, I'll change it to differentiate between cleans and screams.

Hold off on that for a minute. Let me engage an official discussion on this upstairs to make sure there's an official consensus that this should be done.
----

09.03.2015 - 02:39
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by psykometal on 08.03.2015 at 23:54

Hold off on that for a minute. Let me engage an official discussion on this upstairs to make sure there's an official consensus that this should be done.

Sure thing, let me know the consensus