Metal Storm logo
Band Profiles: Report Mistakes

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 15.03.2011 - 18:14
This is your place to report mistakes with our featured bands, in the same way as the last thread:

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=3137
04.11.2016 - 21:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 01.11.2016 at 00:38

This band needs to be split into two ('Severed Crotch' and 'Severed'). The 2016 EP is the only release for the new name so far

http://metalstorm.net/bands/band.php?band_id=6279&bandname=Severed

will do it later tonight unless , LZ, MH or SSUS will do it 1th
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
05.11.2016 - 02:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Nathan done
check it out, I am pretty on whisky, maybe I made some erro, cant see now
----

apos;'
[image]
08.12.2016 - 11:11
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Can Chthonic have their melodic black era extended to 2011? Takasako Army's more black than power. Plus it looks kinda silly that the winner of MS's best melodic black album of 2011 isn't listed as black.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.12.2016 - 22:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 08.12.2016 at 11:11

Can Chthonic have their melodic black era extended to 2011? Takasako Army's more black than power. Plus it looks kinda silly that the winner of MS's best melodic black album of 2011 isn't listed as black.

fixed
----

apos;'
[image]
15.02.2017 - 23:53
Risto
Wandering Midget
The upcoming tour edition of Under the Red Cloud by Amorphis has been added incorrectly to the database (http://metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=91081). It is not a standalone live album, it's simply a 2CD version of the original album, with live performances on the second disc.
04.04.2017 - 12:03
cobrapel
Concept One
Mourning Dawn genre is correctly Blackned Doom as reported from the band member here:
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45817
They also win Extreme Doom category in MSA 2013.

Depressive Black is totally uncorrect hearing their works.
04.04.2017 - 12:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by cobrapel on 04.04.2017 at 12:03

Mourning Dawn genre is correctly Blackned Doom as reported from the band member here:
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45817
They also win Extreme Doom category in MSA 2013.

Depressive Black is totally uncorrect hearing their works.

You are 100% correct. Changed it to blackened doom.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.07.2017 - 08:36
blackvelvet

Ides Of Gemini's genre is definitely NOT Math Metal. It's Doom Metal
20.07.2017 - 13:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by blackvelvet on 20.07.2017 at 08:36

Ides Of Gemini's genre is definitely NOT Math Metal. It's Doom Metal

Not doom metal really, either. Changed it into post-metal.
Math metal is as far off the mark as can be, though.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2017 - 04:09
ng1997

Argentine band Malón began doing only Thrash Metal, in their first album "Espíritu Combativo" (1995) did not include groove metal, it was from their second album "Justicia o Resistencia" (1996) that began to include their mixture of Thrash / Groove.
15.11.2017 - 04:17
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Could Tarot get heavy metal added to them from 1985-2003, or at least 85-93? Thanks.
----
15.11.2017 - 11:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 15.11.2017 at 04:17

Could Tarot get heavy metal added to them from 1985-2003, or at least 85-93? Thanks.

Its HM as well, its boath so HM add, and even later,
----

apos;'
[image]
15.11.2017 - 12:43
cobrapel
Concept One
Shaman (FIN) and Shamaani Duo have the same album listed in their discographies (Hunka Lunka). The correct position is the second one.
15.11.2017 - 14:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by cobrapel on 15.11.2017 at 12:43

Shaman (FIN) and Shamaani Duo have the same album listed in their discographies (Hunka Lunka). The correct position is the second one.

fixed
----

apos;'
[image]
15.11.2017 - 22:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Bad English on 15.11.2017 at 11:50

Written by M C Vice on 15.11.2017 at 04:17

Its HM as well, its boath so HM add, and even later,

Thanks
----
17.01.2018 - 00:18
atrox

I suggest changing genre of Avatar to avant-garde metal since 2012 - they are definitely not nu-metal. Genres of the latest releases can be checked from Wikipedia as a support for the idea of them doing rather avant-garde. Thanks.
17.01.2018 - 10:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by atrox on 17.01.2018 at 00:18

I suggest changing genre of Avatar to avant-garde metal since 2012 - they are definitely not nu-metal. Genres of the latest releases can be checked from Wikipedia as a support for the idea of them doing rather avant-garde. Thanks.

If you use a wiki, better read this !
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45375
----

apos;'
[image]
18.01.2018 - 11:53
atrox

Written by Bad English on 17.01.2018 at 10:49

Written by atrox on 17.01.2018 at 00:18

If you use a wiki, better read this !
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=45375

I'm really sorry I missed this. The source of my proposal is actually listening to the band's albums, not just reading genres of those. As for Wikipedia I just checked it afterwards myself out of curiosity what's said there.
24.01.2018 - 12:35
atrox

Okay, I understand that I have to still refer to something to get Avatar away from nu-metal categorization

Black Waltz review at https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47962/Avatar-Black-Waltz/ - "... Doesn't matter whether Avatar are playing more death metal influenced tunes, rockers or avant-garde stuff , they are equally adept at them all. ..."

Hail the Apocalypse intro at https://www.allmusic.com/album/hail-the-apocalypse-mw0002644493 - "... Swedish death/industrial/progressive metal ensemble ... stirs up a flurry of sonic brutality that blends the streamlined, piston-like pump of Rammstein, the provocative and uncompromising metallic charge of System of a Down, and the macabre theatrics of Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper."

Avatar Country review at https://emperorcupcake.com/2018/01/13/album-review-avatar-avatar-country/ - "Genre: Prog/Groove Metal"
And something that very well summarizes the musical contents of the album and what is typically referred to as "avant-garde": "... there will be plenty of genres. Between folk, hard rock, country, electronica, symphonic metal, and a whole smorgasbord of others, Avatar Country never sticks with a sounds long enough for the record to gain any momentum."
24.01.2018 - 13:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by atrox on 24.01.2018 at 12:35

Okay, I understand that I have to still refer to something to get Avatar away from nu-metal categorization

Black Waltz review at https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/47962/Avatar-Black-Waltz/ - "... Doesn't matter whether Avatar are playing more death metal influenced tunes, rockers or avant-garde stuff , they are equally adept at them all. ..."

Hail the Apocalypse intro at https://www.allmusic.com/album/hail-the-apocalypse-mw0002644493 - "... Swedish death/industrial/progressive metal ensemble ... stirs up a flurry of sonic brutality that blends the streamlined, piston-like pump of Rammstein, the provocative and uncompromising metallic charge of System of a Down, and the macabre theatrics of Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper."

Avatar Country review at https://emperorcupcake.com/2018/01/13/album-review-avatar-avatar-country/ - "Genre: Prog/Groove Metal"
And something that very well summarizes the musical contents of the album and what is typically referred to as "avant-garde": "... there will be plenty of genres. Between folk, hard rock, country, electronica, symphonic metal, and a whole smorgasbord of others, Avatar Country never sticks with a sounds long enough for the record to gain any momentum."

I dunno that band, you can ask offial staff members as Marcel, Craig, DT Metal, ScreemingSteelUS, other active members about that issue.
----

apos;'
[image]
18.02.2018 - 21:21
InfidelSwe

The Black Dahlia Murder are NOT playing Metalcore...
20.02.2018 - 18:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by InfidelSwe on 18.02.2018 at 21:21

what are they playing then?
----

apos;'
[image]
21.02.2018 - 08:21
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Bad English on 20.02.2018 at 18:15

Written by InfidelSwe on 18.02.2018 at 21:21

what are they playing then?

May be Melodic Death Metal?

I will go for second opinion.
24.02.2018 - 16:21
Risto
Wandering Midget
I have no idea how someone hears metalcore in TBDM, particularly on their latest album. Metal Archives are pretty anal about any kind of -core and the tag is completely absent there too. Textbook melodic death metal.
19.03.2018 - 19:14
Opeth were playing Progressive Extreme Metal through 2008 with the release of Watershed. Also, every other source that I have seen calls it Progressive Death Metal (rather than Progressive Extreme Metal), as Opeth never really incorporated black or thrash influences. The label of Extreme Metal, in my experience, is reserved for bands that cannot be easily categorized into any one of the extreme metal sub-genres (for example Cradle of Filth or Ne Obliviscaris). I think it is almost universally accepted that the only genre of extreme metal present in Opeth's music is Death Metal.
20.03.2018 - 17:12
cobrapel
Concept One
This album should be deleted. It's a duplicate
20.03.2018 - 18:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by cobrapel on 20.03.2018 at 17:12

This album should be deleted. It's a duplicate

done
----

apos;'
[image]
20.03.2018 - 20:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Unbeatablegghead on 19.03.2018 at 19:14

Opeth were playing Progressive Extreme Metal through 2008 with the release of Watershed. Also, every other source that I have seen calls it Progressive Death Metal (rather than Progressive Extreme Metal), as Opeth never really incorporated black or thrash influences. The label of Extreme Metal, in my experience, is reserved for bands that cannot be easily categorized into any one of the extreme metal sub-genres (for example Cradle of Filth or Ne Obliviscaris). I think it is almost universally accepted that the only genre of extreme metal present in Opeth's music is Death Metal.

Opeth is note ven metal nowadays and its not pure DM , listen it its not CC or Grave
----

apos;'
[image]
21.03.2018 - 19:03
Written by Bad English on 20.03.2018 at 20:25

Opeth is note ven metal nowadays and its not pure DM , listen it its not CC or Grave

Agree 100% with everything you said. Everything after Watershed is prog rock, not metal. However, both Watershed and Ghost Reveries were Extreme Progressive Metal, not just Progressive Metal, because of the Death Metal vocals prevalent on both albums. As I said in my previous post, the genre label that is usually used for these two albums as well as Deliverance and every Opeth album preceding that is Progressive Death Metal, as the genre of extreme metal present in Opeth's prog style is Death Metal, not Black Metal, Thrash Metal, or any other genre of extreme metal. I am not saying that Opeth sounds like Cannibal Corpse or Grave, as these are not Progressive Metal bands. What I am saying is that the style of extreme metal incorporated into Opeth's prog sound is specifically Death Metal, and hence the label of Progressive Death Metal rather than Extreme Progressive Metal. Just check Wikipedia, the Encyclopedia Metallum, Discogs or any other source and you will see the label "Progressive Death Metal" or "Death Metal" in conjunction with "Prog Rock" or something similar.

However, I do not want the argument of whether it is called "Extreme Progressive Metal" or "Progressive Death Metal" to distract from my main point, which is that Opeth were playing this genre of Extreme Metal through 2008's Watershed. Anything with such prevalent Death Metal vocals is definitely a form of Extreme Metal and not just Progressive Metal, which would seem to imply that they sound like Dream Theater or something similar.

I would also add to my previous comment that, just like they were playing Extreme Metal through 2008, they were also playing Progressive Rock as early as 2003 with Damnation. Perhaps it is because of this album that after this date they are no longer labeled as Extreme Metal. Whether or not this is true, what is clear to me is that Opeth have only ever released two genres of albums: the Extreme Prog Metal albums (which include everything up to 2002 and the releases in 2005 and 2008) and the Prog Rock albums (which include the release in 2003 as well as everything from 2011 onward). Thus the genre profile should be

1990-2010 Extreme Progressive Metal (or preferrably Progressive Death Metal)
2003- Progressive Rock

or even better, if this format is allowed on Metal Storm:

1990-2002, 2004-2010 Extreme Progressive Metal (or preferrably Progressive Death Metal)
2003, 2011- Progressive Rock

I hope I have explained myself adequately this time. I do not mean to come across as too nit-picky, but the genre profile of the band to me does not seem to accurately represent the music or correspond to the genre labels given by other sources.
24.03.2018 - 12:48
Risto
Wandering Midget

The additional "extreme" descriptor used with main genres on this site encompasses all genres that can be considered extreme metal. Mid era Opeth is progressive metal with death metal influence, but it doesn't have enough characteristics to be considered straight up death metal (vocals aren't the only factor). Another example of this is Wintersun where the music is basically power metal with death metal influence.