08. Mass Rapture
09. Honey Trap Aftermath
10. Of Kali Ma Calibre
11. Justice For Saint Mary

The best Avantgarde / Experimental Metal album of 2012

Guest review by
embracing
Rating:
The oldest band from Sweden is back to enchant, with an incredibly roundly built album. A definite must for everyone who, at least once, was institutionalized for erratic behavior, or was part of a circus.

Read more ››
published 10.11.2012 | Comments (7)

If you liked anything about DSO's previous 2 albums, or you're curious what all the fuss is about, then don't miss the opportunity to bask in their 3rd offering. They've tripled the energy, intensity, and crazy fun. No world music is safe from this insane band.

Susan's picks | More picks ››

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 84   Visited by: 1091 users
23.05.2012 - 13:54
Moose

Written by PocketMetal on 23.05.2012 at 08:40

Written by Moose on 23.05.2012 at 05:24

3 songs in so far, and it's sounding pretty awesome.
People giving it criticism... care to elaborate? Just interested..

either close minded metalheads or new to D:S:O , I don't thinik it's the best album to start listening to this band ... first album is the best for that . anyway the musical talent and songwriting skills of D:S:O needs no discussion .. they are among the best .

Agreed.
Hmm, but I see at least two people who have them listed as a favorite band say 'disappointing' now.
23.05.2012 - 14:04
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Moose on 23.05.2012 at 13:54

Written by PocketMetal on 23.05.2012 at 08:40

Written by Moose on 23.05.2012 at 05:24

3 songs in so far, and it's sounding pretty awesome.
People giving it criticism... care to elaborate? Just interested..

either close minded metalheads or new to D:S:O , I don't thinik it's the best album to start listening to this band ... first album is the best for that . anyway the musical talent and songwriting skills of D:S:O needs no discussion .. they are among the best .

Hmm, but I see at least two people who have them listed as a favorite band say 'disappointing' now.

Band who is been listed favorite by any user doesn't mean that person has to like every album of that band. Some of the albums are too boring/ disappointing and it leads to nowhere. It's saying like "you gotta that band in your favorite list, how you now hating that album?" won't payback you with good responses.
23.05.2012 - 14:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Moose on 23.05.2012 at 13:54

Agreed.

I agree with Cynic, I have Shadows Fall in my favourite band list, but their new album sucks donkey dick.

However I still love their old stuff, and they are one of my favourite bands.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.05.2012 - 14:44
Moose

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 23.05.2012 at 14:04

Band who is been listed favorite by any user doesn't mean that person has to like every album of that band. Some of the albums are too boring/ disappointing and it leads to nowhere. It's saying like "you gotta that band in your favorite list, how you now hating that album?" won't payback you with good responses.

Guys, hold up. Pocketmetal suggested that the people expressing disappointment about the album were simply new to D.S.O. I was just pointing out that some 'fans' of the band had also posted negative comments. Not that they aren't allowed to.
I'm just curious to see why they think this album is so much worse than their previous work.
23.05.2012 - 14:46
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Moose on 23.05.2012 at 14:44

Okay, I thought you meant that you can't favourite a band unless you like all their albums
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.05.2012 - 15:53
Rating: 10
PocketMetal

Actually I didn't check their profiles but the people who call it "laughable" or " WTF did I just listen to " are certainly new to D:S:O so their brain automatically rejects their strange music .
23.05.2012 - 17:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I love it when people make excuses for one of their favorite albums being criticized. "Oh, they must be new to the band. They must not understand the music. They must be completely retarded."

It's called an opinion. I've always thought this band was shit, and I have no interest in checking this album out. I would like to think I can still recite the alphabet in spite of this.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 18:51
PocketMetal

Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 17:15

I love it when people make excuses for one of their favorite albums being criticized. "Oh, they must be new to the band. They must not understand the music. They must be completely retarded."

It's called an opinion. I've always thought this band was shit, and I have no interest in checking this album out. I would like to think I can still recite the alphabet in spite of this.

err ... I didn't call anyone retarded ? and BY THE LOOKS OF THE COMMENTS I just said they are new to the band ... 'cause they stated it like that ! but yeah I think it takes a little open-mindness to like this ... but that isn't an insult to anyone who doesn't like this .
I don't even care about the ratings ... but I wish some people stop just throwing words instead of saying why , so we can understand them better ? it's not being "criticized" in any way ... it's just being bashed without giving the reasons .

and I didn't say they don't "understand" the music , I just doubt they gave it any chance . ( it happened for me when I listened to their debut ... I just deleted it from my PC )

I know you don't like Avantgarde music in general , that's totally ok ... I don't like Black Metal , so what's the big deal ?
23.05.2012 - 19:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by PocketMetal on 23.05.2012 at 18:51
err ... I didn't call anyone retarded ?

it's just being bashed without giving the reasons.

I was just paraphrasing. People who can't understand why people criticize albums they like usually don't respond very well.

As for it being bashed without any reasons, you do realize those who are saying they like it haven't provided any explanations either, right? Comments don't have to be mini-reviews - some people like things and some don't, and they'll post according: "I think this album is a disappointment" or "I really enjoyed this album, best release this year so far" are things that are normal. If they wanted to elaborate more than that, they would. Or they'd review it.

As for you not liking black metal... not really sure what the point of that is. For the sake of being on-topic I posted that I wasn't interested in this album because the band has never interested me. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
23.05.2012 - 19:17
PocketMetal

Written by Troy Killjoy on 23.05.2012 at 19:00

As for you not liking black metal... not really sure what the point of that is. For the sake of being on-topic I posted that I wasn't interested in this album because the band has never interested me. :/

I was just using an example , some people don't like some kinds of music ... I mean it's a normal thing .

I hate being out of topic so I decided to do a mini review :
first of all , this album is so much fun to listen to ... that's the most important part , it's less metal and less aggressive than previous ones but it's more varied and the craziness is still there . also Annlouice ones again destroys most of the female vocalists in the scene ... just listen to Aurora to see how great she can sing . what I noticed during my countless listens is that the drums are now far better .. they have a certain kick that stands out between all the cello/trumpet and trombone madness ( no I don't know what's a trombone ) , also there is some crazy adorable bass going on in some songs , if you have heard them before , you can guess how the rest of the music works . to conclude this , D:S:O are back with another creative album , and with many influences from various genres ... they just keep it "fun" this time from start to finish .

Highlights : Voodoo Mon Amour , Kevlar Sweethearts , Mass Rapture , Honey Trap Aftermath and the last song .
24.05.2012 - 01:58
Fredd
Account deleted
I really like those sad oriental melodies.
24.05.2012 - 02:07
Rating: 5
Asunder

It isnt' avante garde at all
24.05.2012 - 07:31
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I just noticed they've ended the record with a dubstep section.
Damn, one more listen and I'll give it a score.

Can't believe I'm seeing them live in just one week
25.05.2012 - 03:37
ColdRail

Looking forward to read a metalstorm review of this great new album.
25.05.2012 - 12:17
alain.bejjani

Quote:
Make sure you listen to their previous albums too , you don't wanna miss something like that . best album of the year so far !

I have all their albums and I love them all 10x
27.05.2012 - 06:44
strade

Great stuff. It's bizarre, bombastic, and completely awesome. This is one of those things that almost sounds like comedy on paper, but it ain't no joke in terms of execution.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
27.05.2012 - 08:35
Rating: 7
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
I don't know what it is but there is something lacking and uninspired in this album. I thought this would be a formula that really couldn't run itself dry but it might have for me. It's not like DSO is a deep enough band that multiple listens is really going to change my opinion of this album. Voodoo Mon Amour, and Guerilla Laments would seem right up my alley but they just seem to not grab my Attention. Black Box Messiah sounds like something by Stolen babies, but those fucking babies singing is annoying. Oddly Enough, Exit Strategy Of A Wrecking Ball, is kind of interesting with its rolling bouncy feeling to it, if not the concept itself creates some interesting imaginary, and Honey Trap Aftermath is a pretty slick song, if not for the distorted bass lines. Everything else is just sadly forgetable.
05.06.2012 - 06:21
Rating: 9
Hollberr

It's been a long time since a song didn't blow my mind up like Justice for Saint Mary did.

This band, wether you like it or not, can't leave you indifferent. They try so many things, sometimes it's not that good (I did not like their 2 previous albums in their whole) but this time, it's brililant.
05.06.2012 - 07:51
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This is steadily getting better and better, my favourite is easily the short 'Black Box Messiah', bloody brilliant
05.06.2012 - 16:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by R'Vannith on 05.06.2012 at 07:51

This is steadily getting better and better, my favourite is easily the short 'Black Box Messiah', bloody brilliant

It was the only song I didn't quite like at first, but after hearing it live it convinced me I danced like nuts.
06.06.2012 - 14:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Unhealer on 05.06.2012 at 16:07

It was the only song I didn't quite like at first, but after hearing it live it convinced me I danced like nuts.

Whenever I give the album a listen I have to repeat that one a few times before moving on!
06.06.2012 - 21:58
PocketMetal

Written by Unhealer on 05.06.2012 at 16:07

I'm so jealous , I'm guessing the show was awesome ?
I wish they release a live DVD at some point .
07.06.2012 - 05:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by PocketMetal on 06.06.2012 at 21:58

I'm so jealous , I'm guessing the show was awesome ?
I wish they release a live DVD at some point .

They played in a cheap theater and the sound wasn't ideal for seven musicians playing on stage. They also had some problems hearing themselves which caused a couple of performance mistakes, but fuck that, I would have never imagined I'd see them live in my country (at least so soon). And it was more of a party than a show, full of freaks dancing, headbanging and moshing.
08.06.2012 - 03:16
AhuiZotl.

They totally kick ass live and they are really nice guys.
Voodoo Mon Amour and Kevlar Sweethearts sound pretty good live.
08.06.2012 - 14:30
Jeeers

This is one fuckin' impressive release!!!
My favourite song is "Black Box Messiah" - it is totally crazy
09.06.2012 - 05:10
Fat & Sassy!

This release seems to be a bit less obnoxious than their previous releases, but I think that's a great thing. Don't get me wrong; I love this band, but I usually can't sit through a whole album of theirs without getting a little annoyed. x3 This release is much easier to swallow in one sitting though. The Latin American theme (stylistically speaking) is a breath of fresh air from this band too. I predicted that they were gonna be releasing the same album over and over since after listing to Songs for the Damned and Delirious.
12.06.2012 - 08:18
Kinetic

At first I thought it was bland but it's growing on me now. I'm even thinking that this might be their most creative album so far.

It seems like they try to vary as much as they can at each album. And like Fat & Sassy pointed out, it has become smoother as well. Love their evolution so far. They certainly deserve a lot of respect.
12.06.2012 - 18:15
Susan
Smeghead
I didn't love the 2nd album nearly as much as the first and therefore was a bit nervous about this one.

God. Damn.

This album is fucking brilliant and maybe even better than the debut. Certainly the energy has been kicked up to 11 and oooh I'm obsessing over Justice For Saint Mary. The album ends and I play that one several more times. Who knew that this band could STILL be full of surprises!!! That's really saying something. I never saw that song's ending coming in a million years.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
12.06.2012 - 20:26
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Susan on 12.06.2012 at 18:15

... I'm obsessing over Justice For Saint Mary. The album ends and I play that one several more times. Who knew that this band could STILL be full of surprises!!! That's really saying something. I never saw that song's ending coming in a million years.

Yeah, they probably think they're being cute by ending the album with a dubstep outro. xD
12.06.2012 - 21:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.06.2012 at 20:26

Yeah, they probably think they're being cute by ending the album with a dubstep outro. xD

When in fact they're being awesome.

Hits total: 36482 | This month: 17