Metal Storm logo
Metal love songs??

Original post

Posted by Ag Fox, 20.03.2011 - 01:40
Yes... I've been in a very lovey dovey mood as of late. Problem with most metal songs seems to be about death, violence, the great red one, some random philosophical concept or dragon slaying in the land of nevermore.

Are there any love songs? Preferably good ones of course!
16.12.2012 - 09:05
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
This Love by Pantera
27.12.2012 - 14:28
Paradox Lover
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 16.12.2012 at 01:51

Written by Guest on 08.05.2011 at 21:57

I say that it depends on how you interpreted the song. could be... Dark Tranquility - Lethe

but Lethe by DT can not be a love song, I believe this song is about internal strugglings and conflicts,this is about a persona Who talks of the life he hates and need leave and forget it so he begs for Lethe blessings, anybody else has a comment on what I have interpreted from this song? Lethe is not only my fav by DT is also one of the best songs I've heard both musically and lyrical theme, and I am quite sure this song theme is ironical but not about love. what you think?

I beg to disagree, you are viewing the lyrics in a very literal way and often what is said has to be read between the lines so to speak. Lethe to me is a love song full of pain and emotion.
Give me the drink of the fluid
That disintegrates
And lend me the sweet balm and blessing
Of forgetfulness, empty and strong
Lethe
Oh, lethe

Here we are given the expression that the narrative voice is turning to the 5th River of the Underworld in the Greek mythology, asking it to sweep his memories away. The longing and yearning for this sip of "forgetfulness" is clearly shown by the choice of words to describe it "sweet", "blessing" and "strong", however we have the not so positive "empty" which could represent lack of hope, a sense of hollowness, lack of closeness with people.

Hold me near, unravel the stars
As I speed through the heavens
Speed through the night
For you are my blade and my rope
You are my lethe
You are my all

I believe that this is the part where we are given the hint or the clue that he (since it's sang by a man) doesn't sing to the actual river because he says you are my lethe . Now "you" is given the characteristic of the "lethe", he doesn't say "Oh you, my Lethe" or "You - Lethe" he says "You are my lethe" which brings me to the thought he doesn't mean the river, but a person who has the same effect that the river has on the souls coming to the underworld. The feelings towards this "lethe" are contrasting, this interpretation is because he says that the person described as "lethe" is his "blade" which we can relate to a weapon to use against someone but then he says "and my rope". Seeing as the rope is often used as reference to the hanging method of death penalty we can conclude that whoever that "lethe" is, it's both making the person strong and weak.

Okay I got tired, gonna play WoW. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right. We can't really know, cuz it's a poetry and poetry is meant to confuse the hell outta us and make us argue whether which interpretation is correct. I see it as a love song, you don't, we're all entitled to an opinion and only the writer knows what he was thinking (sometimes even they have no idea).
Gl Hf!
27.12.2012 - 22:10
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Quote:
Written by Guest on 27.12.2012 at 14:28

I say that it depends on how you interpreted the song. could be... Dark Tranquility - Lethe

Okay I got tired, gonna play WoW. Maybe you're right, maybe I'm right. We can't really know, cuz it's a poetry and poetry is meant to confuse the hell outta us and make us argue whether which interpretation is correct. I see it as a love song, you don't, we're all entitled to an opinion and only the writer knows what he was thinking (sometimes even they have no idea).

whatever it says we enjoy listening to it
23.07.2015 - 02:30
poison-evie

Opeth- Harvest
Tyr - Lay of Our Love
HIM - 99% of their songs, if you count that as metal
Mastodon - Stargasm
Amorphis - Her Alone
Cradle of Filth - Lovesick for Mina
10.09.2015 - 16:04
Fulcrum

Katiyshka by Sodom. No, when you stop laughing - Katiysha is actually a Russian love song that got kidnapped by the rulling communist party
10.09.2015 - 23:44
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Pain of Salvation - Sisters
My Dying Bride - A Kiss to Remember (and most of their repertoire)
Katatonia - In the White
Nightwish - Beauty of the Beast
Dream Evil - The Ballad
Firewind - My Loneliness
Crimson Glory - Painted Skies
Judas Priest - A Touch of Evil
Iced Earth - A Question of Heaven
Dark Tranquillity - Her Silent Language
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black
Kamelot - Under Grey Skies
Amorphis - House of Sleep
While Heaven Wept - Obsessions Now Effigies
In Flames - Come Clarity
21.09.2015 - 23:15
Doge of Venice

Most new Devin Townsend stuff. True North, Angel and both Midnight Son and Universal Flame also work. Those are all more poppy sounding though.

I also think Alley Cat by Seventh Wonder is a love song.
Vessel - While Heaven Wept (i think it's a love song...)
07.11.2022 - 16:10
MetalstormBANatm

09.11.2022 - 20:42
TheTrueLHC

Hands down the greatest is Just So You Know

By American Head Charge !!!!

03.03.2023 - 17:08
Ebiolley10

Any Spotify playlist?
07.05.2023 - 15:47
WillHall

I may be wrong, but the easiest way to find at least one such song. Then find a spotify playlist with that song and listen to the selection. Probably the best option. To be honest, maybe not everyone will support this, but I've been turning on something as quiet as possible in the car lately. The site was thrown out and I kind of liked it. Something like soft instrumental music https://www.melodyloops.com/moods/soft/ . Of course it's very much in line with metal, but sometimes I like to put it in the background. I'm shocked myself to be honest.
10.08.2023 - 06:52
TheCrazyGoat

Cannibal Corpse - Fucked With A Knife
Great love song with romantic lyrics for sweet times with your partner. If he/she is for you he/she respect it and maybe put it first. If not you have to break up. I am sorry...