Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Sheffield, England, 19th March 2011

Event: Sonata Arctica: UK Tour
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 20.03.2011

Galleries:

Sonata Arctica - Sheffield, England, 19th March 2011 by Baz Anderson (25)

Sonata Arctica can certainly pull a crowd. Before the doors opening, the queue was one of the longest it has been for a while for a show at the Corporation. Inside, the venue was packed with people wearing various power metal apparel. They weren't going to be disappointed.

Main support of the night came from Italian long-running, and long lived Labyrinth. Clearly delighted to be on stage, the band tried to rouse the audience into clapping and singing along, to a lukewarm response. The vocalist sounded somewhat like Edu Falaschi of Angra with the occasional glass-shattering scream in there. Labyrinth's style is pretty straight-forward power metal, but considering how susceptible to being boring this style is, the band were actually enjoyable. The audience finally responded and gave the band an honourable exit from the stage.

Labyrinth

The venue packed, it could only be time for Sonata Arctica to do their thing. Kicking off with a trio from the latest album, the fantastic "Flag In The Ground" first, we were under way for a great set. Tony was hyperactive and as crazy as ever, transferring his enthusiasm into the audience. Only Tony and Elias seemed particularly interested to be in the stage, playing about on the left hand of the stage with Henrik rolling his eyes at the other. Regardless, the band's setlist was pretty strange with a strong weight towards the newer albums.

Sonata Arctica

Tony's apparent premonition of Facebook from twelve years ago "Blank File" was a really great surprise and sounded much better live, especially vocally, than the CD ever has. "As If The World Wasn't Ending" did however seem like it had been thrown in the setlist to eat up time. Other highlights of the set included the marvellous "Victoria's Secret", the usual favourite "Full Moon" and the closing "Don't Say A Word". Strangely the setlist contained absolutely nothing from the "Silence" album and only a disappointing combined three from "Winterheart's Guild" and "Reckoning Night" together. Regardless of this though, Tony's crazy charisma and great singing voice was enough to deliver a thoroughly enjoyable set.

Sonata Arctica

The band are going to record a live DVD next month in Finland for a late 2011 release, and will also be recording their new album later in the year, which should see the light in early 2012. For an interview conducted before this show, visit this location.

Sonata Arctica

Setlist: Flag In The Ground / The Last Amazing Grays / Juliet / Replica / Blank File / As If The World Wasn't Ending / Paid In Full / Victoria's Secret / Instrumental Paté / The Misery / Full Moon / In Black & White / Encore: Caleb / Don't Say A Word

Sonata Arctica

Thanks to Markus and Jaap for the accreditation.
Written by Barry Anderson.
Photos by Barry Anderson.

Written on 20.03.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 14   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 182 users
20.03.2011 - 15:12
Baz Anderson

Written by Irritable Ted on 20.03.2011 at 15:10

Seems like a very short set. Would have been pissed to have gone and not had anything from Silence.

It was just over an hour and a half set. There was quite a bit of talking in between songs though.
20.03.2011 - 16:41
Kingface

Great review, sums my thoughts of the night exactly pretty much.

Sonata put on a great performance, even if it was a disappointing setlist in my opinion (too many songs from the latest two). I can understand how you feel "The Shape", not playing anything from their best album is a crime!
20.03.2011 - 16:50
voodoo turkey

For me it was the best concert of my life so far (mainly because Labyrinth and Sonata Arctica have been two of my favourite bands for the last ten years) I met Roberto Tiranti of Labyrinth after the show and got a signed CD plus a Return To Heaven Denied PT II T Shirt.. I'm still buzzing now!!

Let's see if Thursday's Symphony X concert can top it...
20.03.2011 - 16:58
Kingface

Written by voodoo turkey on 20.03.2011 at 16:50

For me it was the best concert of my life so far (mainly because Labyrinth and Sonata Arctica have been two of my favourite bands for the last ten years) I met Roberto Tiranti of Labyrinth after the show and got a signed CD plus a Return To Heaven Denied PT II T Shirt.. I'm still buzzing now!!

Nice one!

And might see you at Symphony X/Power Quest!
20.03.2011 - 17:32
voodoo turkey

Written by Kingface on 20.03.2011 at 16:58

Written by voodoo turkey on 20.03.2011 at 16:50

Nice one!

And might see you at Symphony X/Power Quest!

Sure, i'll definitely be there!

I'm looking forward to seeing Chity Somapala with Power Quest - I'm a big fan of Firewind's Forged By Fire album mainly because of his vocals.. I'd be chuffed to hear PQ play Save The World with Chity but I don't think they play that track live for what I've been told.. Should be an excellent night though!
20.03.2011 - 19:16
-Mayhem-

Hmm... Caleb paired with Don't say a Word.

Their latest sure had some really great moments but Unia is still my favourite album by SA
Silence should get more songs though since it is far better than Ecliptica.
21.03.2011 - 12:58
SexyCat_1113

Blank File......oh, my god, Tony of todays can finish it ?
21.03.2011 - 17:29
Baz Anderson

He didn't sing "Black File" at such a high pitch, and it sounded much much better for it.
22.03.2011 - 07:11
atkmetal123

Imo this setlist is a good choice! But it would be even better if they put The End of this Chapter in, u know, get the full story along Don't say a word and Caleb (and Juliet???)
25.03.2011 - 02:44
Enissa

Cool to see that they played Blank File, they seemed to have forgotten about it...
26.03.2011 - 01:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Baz - 3 gigs in close time, did you stay at Shefield or go beck to Lincoln and then beck to gig, beck again and beck to gig?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.03.2011 - 03:14
Baz Anderson

Written by Bad English on 26.03.2011 at 01:25

Baz - 3 gigs in close time, did you stay at Shefield or go beck to Lincoln and then beck to gig, beck again and beck to gig?

I drove to and from Sheffield every day... so, a lot of petrol!
26.03.2011 - 03:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 26.03.2011 at 03:14

Written by Bad English on 26.03.2011 at 01:25

I drove to and from Sheffield every day... so, a lot of petrol!

if I shood do it I be more consider to get rid of tiredness, I hate travel , but if you drive your self you shood be extra cariful, how be a pasanger
I do like look at landscaps, so Luleå-Stokholm I hate when I fell ''asleep'' some times I miss good wiews

How did new Accept singer sound live whit old Udo days songs? It would be interesting if they re record Sea Winds and Winter Dreams
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2011 - 18:39
Joutsen

Written by atkmetal123 on 22.03.2011 at 07:11

Imo this setlist is a good choice! But it would be even better if they put The End of this Chapter in, u know, get the full story along Don't say a word and Caleb (and Juliet???)

I thought the same! How about if they put all Caleb-saga songs together, in the right order to tell the whole story? That would be pretty awesome

Hits total: 7329 | This month: 6