Metal Storm logo
Emperor: Favourite Album

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 12.09.2006 - 16:01
Okay, there is no denying Emperor are one of the all time biggest black metal bands - but I always find it so intriguing when people ask which is your favorite Emperor album.

Note: this is a poll for their four full-length albums. I never liked it how people could vote for a twenty minute demo over a full-length album however fantastic the 'Emperor' E.P. is.

Each of their albums are big milestones and each are utterly brilliant in their own way.
'In The Nightside Eclipse' was the first full-length and is many peoples favorite today with the raw production and everything sounding very 'black metal'
My own opinion on this albums is the songs are superb, but the sound of the drums really lets it down!

'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk' was the next and introduced Trym to the band. They clearly push their sound on this album and dont stick to the conventional black metal type of music.
The album is rather different and even epic with tracks like 'With Strength I Burn'

'IX Equilibrium' pushed even further wit htheir sound. They almost dont sound like a black metal band any more, they are clearly not afraid of experimenting and making something different.

'Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire & Demise' is their last album and is again very different. The album is rather progressive and hardly black metal at all. Also the whole album was written by Ihsahn.
The album follows through an imaginitive story which makes going through with the lyrics add a new dimention to the music.

Each album has many reasons why it should be your favorite but just pick one and let us know why.

My favorite Emperor album is 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk'
The albums keeps changing and keeps your attention at the music at all times. No track on the album is a bad track.
Even though I am more into heavy metal then black metal, this album may be my favorite album of all time.

I feel 'In The Nightside Eclipse' is rather overrated, and 'Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk' underrated for what it is. I think people that dont recognise it as a masterpiece should go back and listen to it again a couple of times and digest it properly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this poll goes. I predict the main competition will be between the first two albums.

Poll

Which full-length do you prefer?

Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk
In The Nightside Eclipse
Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And..
IX Equilibrium

Total votes: 166
06.04.2007 - 15:54
Reborn Nemesis
Ah, this has always been a tough question

Beyond The Great Vast Forest, I Am The Black Wizards VS. With Strength I Burn, Thus Spake The Nightspirit

I'll go with In The Nightside Eclipse since it was my first Emperor album so it also has some sentimental value apart from the great music
----
... For blood I hunger, possessed by the dark...

... No remorse, I'll tear your flesh apart...
06.04.2007 - 16:13
APOHAKC
The Bard
In The Nightside Eclipse, and this is not my favorite Empror's album only, this is my favorite all time Black Metal album, beside maybe MAyhems DMDS..
Music is more than Black Metal, all songs are special, it is brutal but also very progressive and in most positive way, not like some bands who want to be progressive so they do the 20 minute solo that bore listener to death. Riffs are played and producet on the most highest level possible, atmosphere is unfuckeble on this album and all those grave keys.. awesome!
Lyrics are also great and prodction is, again beside DMDS, the best Black Metal production ever, if you ask me of cause... Other albums are also great but this one is... God, how they manage to do that??!?
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.04.2007 - 23:29
|Angela|
Account deleted
OMG This is such a difficult quetion to answer. When I got these albums I got both In The Nightside Eclipse and Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk at the same time. Initially I found myself liking Anthems more. After that I was suddenly hooked onto In The Nightside Eclipse. I've been really going back and forth with these two albums. I really can't decide. In The Nightside Eclipse because its just an amazing album and a bit better tracks and stuff but I liked Anthems first so there's some sentimental value in that. I'll go with Anthems just because of that.

Prometheus has probably the best lyrical theme ever I think. I really enjoyed that album as well.
09.04.2007 - 01:43
Goat-Christ
I voted for "In The Nightside Eclipse". All around that album was pure brilliance even if the production was terrible... but hey, it's Black Metal. "Anthems" almost had my vote but "Nightside" just sticks out more in my opinion. Such a classic walk through the beginnings of Melodic Black Metal.
11.07.2007 - 04:53
Cassandra
Account deleted
usually i would say "anything but prometheus"... but this question is just too easy, its anthems byfar, the first black metal i ever heard, its so strong, yet really beautiful, nightside is a close second.
11.07.2007 - 05:02
GhostofSanity
Account deleted
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk. I like the atmosphere more on this one then other Emperor albums.
11.07.2007 - 18:10
Stigmatized
In the Nightside Eclipse, typical answer, I know. It's the album that has the music stand out to me the most. It also has the best artwork on the cover.
11.07.2007 - 21:50
Sunioj
HAha I noticed I didnt really give a choice before...well heres my ranking

1. Anthems to the welkin at dusk
2. Prometheus ( looovveee this album )
3. In the Nightside Eclipse
4. IX equilibrium
12.07.2007 - 01:50
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk... I think that it is the album most representative of the Symphonic Black Metal.
12.07.2007 - 02:49
Baz Anderson
staff
I don't think Emperor are symphonic black metal..
they are more so then bands such as Mayhem - but I wouldn't call them "Symphonic Black metal" at all..
they just diverse from the norm a bit more than the regulars..
16.07.2007 - 13:38
Meuterei
Account deleted
I never could truly decide between Anthems and Nightside... but I always vote Nightside in polls because of "I Am The Black Wizards"...
17.07.2007 - 17:19
Infurnace
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, without a doubt. "In The Nightside Eclipse" is a great album as well, but I like Anthems a bit more, because of the symphonic atmosphere. It's not particularly Symphonic Black Metal, but it has some symphonic influences. Allthough, "I Am The Black Wizards" is a classic!
17.09.2007 - 12:49
jorthyf
Account deleted
Personally I vote for Prometheus. I think this record belongs in the top 10 best metal albums of all time. Prometheus is for more advanced than Emperor's previous records in terms of both composition and lyrics. Top that off with some good production and recording (something they always deserved, in my opinion), and you have one impregnable fortress of an album. Maybe I'm just too caught up in the genius of the harmonies and chord progressions, but that's my view on this.
18.09.2007 - 17:32
Infurnace
I'm really getting into "Prometheus", recently. The prog elements are some aspects I really like. The album has got a really great atmosphere, and the production is almost perfect.
27.09.2007 - 02:23
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
Damn, dude...fuck production, Nightside Eclipse is amazing. The production isn't all that bad anyway! And look at what you get: Cosmic Keys, Great Vast Forest, Majesty of the Nighsky, I Am The Black fucking Wizards!!!!! Plus two covers as bonus tracks if you get the remastered version (on which the production is better) which are great. They are, for those of you who just have the original, Bathory's "A Fine Day to Die" off of the legendary "Blood Fire Death", and Mercyful Fate's "Gypsy", which is an extremely interesting cover, for me especially, being a huge King Diamond fan.

Anthems is great, but Nightside Eclipse is a masterpiece!!!!
29.09.2007 - 00:03
Metal Freak
Definitely Nightside. I loved Anthems on first listen, but I can't say that about Nightside. However, it totally grew on me. It just seems more subtle and it has a stronger ambient quality despite the fast tempos. Also, "Into the Infinity of Thoughts" is my favorite Emperor song and my second favorite black metal song behind Burzum's "Det Som En Gang Var".
----
"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things, but for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."
--Steven Weinberg
25.02.2008 - 23:52
Sepulchre
Lord Hypnos
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk, because most of my favorite Emperor songs come from this album and it creates a great atmosphere.
26.02.2008 - 00:12
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
I really wish I hadn't voted already for "Anthems..." because I just listened to tracks from "Nightside" and it brought back memories of how much I loved that album when I first got it. But I suppose Anthems is still a good choice for me with "The Loss And Curse Of Reverence" being my favorite.
26.02.2008 - 06:34
NOИ
well, I have a year or more to listen to Emperor, but I remember that their songs was extremely good, and my favourite album was and still is IX Equilibrium. many people maybe dont like it but I love it cause of the melodies.
12.04.2008 - 22:11
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
This is really really close for me, but I have to go with Anthems.... its just classic and timeless. A masterpiece of black metal. One of the only bands that can combine black metal and symphonics and still keep their brutality. In the Nightside Eclipse is right next to it in quality, but Anthems just has that feeling, that energy of an amazing album that is extremely hard to top.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
13.04.2008 - 08:04
selken
Irreligious
In The Nightside Eclipse, is way more melodic and I love melodic black!!!
----
13.04.2008 - 10:36
Nox Lux
codebreaker
I guess you could say that Equilibrium IX technically has more variety and ability to it. More composition at least. But In The Nightside Eclipse is for sure the best album in my opinion.

Point to note: Nightside isn't even a word...but it should be.

----
][{ ]|/ ][_ "][" -- ][3) ][_ /=|[ [( ][{ -- ][][][ |E[ "][" ]|= ][_

"Thoughts fall in season with the right stand, rake the land
This Autumn's early leafshed a recompense for Summer's wane."
~ Nox Lux
13.04.2008 - 11:57
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
In the nightside eclipse is the best.. it has the equilibrium between the raw black metal and the melodic atmosphere that makes black metal great. The others are good too... but not that raw.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
13.04.2008 - 23:37
ß
Problem?
I pick In The Nightside Eclipse but most of their cd's are very good in their own way. The Nightside Eclipse just stands out the most for me.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
17.04.2008 - 04:27
Haightredy
Nightside!! I liked their early stuff better when it was more like raw Black Metal, then eventually they started to go more progressive. Equilibrium is still cool, but Promethius is just bad.
17.09.2008 - 17:57
Nerevarine
In The Nightside Eclipse, it has a more atmospheric feel than the others,and it's the first album I got into
----
This Is Not Dead Which Can Eternal Lie, And With Strange Eons, Even Death May Die
23.09.2008 - 08:56
TheBigRossowski
Easy thread! Naturally, in the Nightside Eclipse. The first time I ever heard 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk', I didn't comprehend it. It was in my early metal days. That album has grown on me as well, but none of there albums can top Nightside! The atmosphere overall is just flawless.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.10.2008 - 22:36
Branzig
Pound for pound, I'd have to say Nightside is the best Emperor release. In my eyes, it is the epitome of symphonic, black metal.
----
In Grind We Crust
29.10.2008 - 04:52
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Anthems is my favorite. its got the most Emperor sounding... sound out of all of their albums. I don't know if that is possible considering they were constantly changing their sound
----
Coldgrits
12.11.2008 - 15:00
Demigodc
It's very hard to pick between In The Nightside Eclipse and Anthems, they are both equally good, but I voted for Anthems because it has better production but I freaking love Ihsahn vocals on In The Nightside Eclipse.