Metal Storm logo
Death/Thrash suggestions

22.03.2011 - 14:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Not sure if there's a topic of this sort around but if you have any Death/Thrash recommendations post them here. I've never really been very interested in Death metal until recently. I've been listening to, and enjoying the likes of Atheist, Master and Opprobrium (only their older albums so far). I don't know a great deal about the genre but I guess what I'm looking for is any suggestions of old classics etc.
22.03.2011 - 22:13
@gent_-_orange

Check out merciless very good stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbCKgLIHERo
23.03.2011 - 07:42
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Fuck yeah, merciless all the way

Other favorites of mine include Demolition Hammer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKn66Ah1Huo

Dekapitator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztnM3iW5u-k

Devastation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-wpGiZpYCw&feature=related

Death Strike, featuring Paul Speckman of Master- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JexX_YfudwY

Energetic Krusher, less deathy, but kickass nonetheless- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE7ZUbxtw54

Obliveon- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SznX1oWhGk

Swashbuckle- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0AmDt15gug

Num Skull http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_WTyghG-JI

Also, you probably know Dark Angel, but just in case... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWLbgqCkUk

Theres probably more I know, but Im feeling to lazy to post them. These bands should give you a good starting point for death/thrash.
23.03.2011 - 21:36
wrh

Redemption (1998)

three out of four step away from Malevolent Creation to record one of the fastest and heaviest records fo all time. This album is more brutal than the ones that followed. Derek Roddy rips!!!

photo restoration
24.03.2011 - 02:05
Yasmine

Swashbuckle was absolutely horrid this past summer here in Cleveland.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 06:03
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 02:05

Quit being such a negative nancy, they're great.

24.03.2011 - 06:39
Yasmine

Written by Guest on 24.03.2011 at 06:03

Written by Yasmine on 24.03.2011 at 02:05

Quit being such a negative nancy, they're great.

Negative Yasmine to you, *Random black lady head sway and finger snaps*
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
24.03.2011 - 07:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Why is Swashbuckle even mentioned here? besides the fact they are truly horrendous generic thrash, the original post asks for death/thrash suggestions and Swashbuckle doesn't have any death in their sound whatsoever. Recommending them here is like recommending Defiance or Flotsam & Jetsam or Overkill here. All thrash but no death/thrash
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.03.2011 - 11:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its been long since I dont post in any sggestion treads but Epoch of Unlight
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.03.2011 - 12:28
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Some great suggestions, I'm liking Merciless, Demolition Hammer, Num Skull. Especially like Obliveon, some great technical thrash!
As for Swashbuckle, they do sound fairly different to the other bands...
@Bad English: they sound more like Black than death to me, or perhaps both? I tend not to like black metal, especially the growls, but Epoch of Unlight's growls sound alright with their thrash sound, they're like thrash/death/black all in one.
24.03.2011 - 12:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by R'Vannith on 24.03.2011 at 12:28

Some great suggestions, I'm liking Merciless, Demolition Hammer, Num Skull. Especially like Obliveon, some great technical thrash!
As for Swashbuckle, they do sound fairly different to the other bands...
@Bad English: they sound more like Black than death to me, or perhaps both? I tend not to like black metal, especially the growls, but Epoch of Unlight's growls sound alright with their thrash sound, they're like thrash/death/black all in one.

For Obliveon I would only suggest their first two works cause their later ones, although technical, are way more groove infested.

I could also suggest Infernal Majesty and Sacrifice and DeadHead
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.03.2011 - 20:34
RavenKing

Flames
Massacra
Merciless
Sins of Omission
Repugnant
Inquisitor

We can perhaps consider Gates Of Ishtar and Cryptic Wintermoon but imo, they're more melodic Black/Death.

P.S. Swashbuckle is cheesy garbage and has nothing to do with all the bands I mentioned.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
01.04.2011 - 09:28
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Silly me, forgot to mention Solstice. Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRyaYkymJY
01.04.2011 - 11:40
Fire Dances
Account deleted
Sarcófago (obviously), Vulcano, Pentagram (from Chile), Poison (from Germany), Morbid, Sadus.
04.04.2011 - 22:21
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Guest on 01.04.2011 at 09:28

Silly me, forgot to mention Solstice. Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uRyaYkymJY

Whoa! Thanks for the recommendation. This band is f*cking killer.
07.04.2011 - 17:10
Fire Dances
Account deleted
From newer bands, Ares Kingdom are worth a look.
08.04.2011 - 21:46
WhiskeyBay

The original creators of Death metal is where my allegiance stays. Death is the founders of the genre and the cream of the crop. As far as bands keeping to original death metal, Cannibal Corpse are a band that have stayed true to the roots. Now as far as thrash goes i'm not a huge fan, but i have never been disappointed by a Death Angel song.
09.04.2011 - 23:43
@gent_-_orange

Written by WhiskeyBay on 08.04.2011 at 21:46

The original creators of Death metal is where my allegiance stays. Death is the founders of the genre and the cream of the crop. As far as bands keeping to original death metal, Cannibal Corpse are a band that have stayed true to the roots. Now as far as thrash goes i'm not a huge fan, but i have never been disappointed by a Death Angel song.

I would have said possessed started death metal. To each his own i guess but certainly possessed were first.
10.04.2011 - 00:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.04.2011 at 23:43

I would have said possessed started death metal. To each his own i guess but certainly possessed were first.

Indeed and also Master, Death, Morbid Angel, Slaughter were in on the dm game earlier than Cannibal Bore
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2011 - 00:53
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2011 at 00:16

Indeed and also Master, Death, Morbid Angel, Slaughter were in on the dm game earlier than Cannibal Bore

This. I dont know why people say Death invented DM, Obviously are very influential and all, but Possessed are the first no doubt.
Concerning CC i still think they are a bit overrated, sure they were probably brutal as fuck back in the day but i think they sold most of their albums on pure controversy, ill take any one of those four over the corpse anyday of the week. (Just my two cents)
10.04.2011 - 02:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.04.2011 at 00:53

This. I dont know why people say Death invented DM, Obviously are very influential and all, but Possessed are the first no doubt.
Concerning CC i still think they are a bit overrated, sure they were probably brutal as fuck back in the day but i think they sold most of their albums on pure controversy, ill take any one of those four over the corpse anyday of the week. (Just my two cents)

well Mantas (same band that ecame Death) recorded their demos at the same time as Possessed so it is impossible to claim that Possessed clearly are the first to play death metal.

CC did indeed sell their albums purely on controversy back in the day (both lyrically as for their artwork) I remember most death metal fans finding CC's music back then very generic and boring (and rightly so) and only listened to it because of the lyrics and artwork. Cannibal Corpse are together with Deicide the most overrated dm bands ever imo.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2011 - 02:16
@gent_-_orange

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2011 at 02:04

Written by @gent_-_orange on 10.04.2011 at 00:53

well Mantas (same band that ecame Death) recorded their demos at the same time as Possessed so it is impossible to claim that Possessed clearly are the first to play death metal.

Good point... I guess it is down to your opinion as to what is death and what is thrash metal.

Cannibal Corpse are together with Deicide the most overrated dm bands ever imo.

Although i do like me some Deicide(Mostly their first two and Stench of Redemption) i agree.. they have released many poor albums IMO
10.04.2011 - 02:51
RavenKing

I would probably agree. However, I'm not sure we should consider both bands as old school DM. Imo, they lean more towards Brutal Death.
----
12.04.2011 - 18:55
Abattoir

Written by RavenKing on 10.04.2011 at 02:51

I would probably agree. However, I'm not sure we should consider both bands as old school DM. Imo, they lean more towards Brutal Death.

Brutal death?...not realy. I think they can be both considered as normal death metal bands.

Btw, if we are still in this topic I would suggest a Torture Squad - Hellbound. Very solid stuff...
13.04.2011 - 00:11
RavenKing

Written by Abattoir on 12.04.2011 at 18:55

Brutal death?...not realy. I think they can be both considered as normal death metal bands.

Btw, if we are still in this topic I would suggest a Torture Squad - Hellbound. Very solid stuff...

Imo, they're too brutal to be considered simply as standard Death Metal.
----
13.04.2011 - 07:23
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Forgot to mention Dew Scented. Thrash/Death with some minor modern influences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT30Lwawa_o
13.04.2011 - 09:07
Abattoir

Written by RavenKing on 13.04.2011 at 00:11

Well than compare it to Benighted, Hate Eternal, Krisiun or I don't know who else and you'll hear the difference...
13.04.2011 - 09:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
I agree that Cannibal Corpse totally aren't even close to brutal death metal. It's just pedestrian uninspired boring stuff that only sells on the so-called shock value of the album art and lyrics.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.04.2011 - 22:55
King_of_the_Kill

Thanatos. My favorite death/thrash band, hands down.
----
Love The Bomb
14.04.2011 - 01:56
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by RavenKing on 13.04.2011 at 00:11

mate this is death metal! it should be brutal. i agree that some albums of those bands can be called "brutal death" but not the bands in general. for example tomb of the mutilated is very brutal but the next one, the bleeding (their best) isn't THAT brutal..

same with deicide. imo stench of redemption, which i love, is very brutal. but scars of the crusifix?

after all those being said, these 2 bands are/have been VERY VIOLENT but not in the way to be called brutal death metal bands. so with suffocation. if you called "pierced from within" brutal death then what will you say about "effigy of the forgotten"???
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!