09. Cheating The Polygraph
10. What Happens Now?
+ Blank Planet [video]
+ Fear Of A Blank Planet [video]
+ Anesthetize [video]

Top 20 albums of 2007: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 48

Additional info
Label: 2007 Roadrunner (Europe) / Atlantic Records (USA) / WHD (Japan) [The special box set edition also includes a 40 page booklet]

- Special Edition: April 2007 Roadrunner (Europe) / Atlantic Records (USA) / WHD (Japan)
- 2LP edition: September 2007 ToneFloat TF40 (contains all 4 tracks from the Nil Recurring mini album. Available in 2 editions - standard double LP in gatefold sleeve, and special limited edition of 1,000 copies with additional poster, booklet and slipcase)
- DVDA edition: October 2007 Transmission 6.1 (A special limited edition audiophile 5.1 surround sound version featuring the 5.1 mix of the album in advanced resolution/MLP lossless 5.1 surround, DTS 5.1 digital surround sound, and 24 bit stereo, as well as all 4 tracks from the Nil Recurring mini album in surround sound. The disc also includes three video works directed by Lasse Hoile: a special Blank Planet Introduction short film, the uncensored version of the Fear of a Blank Planet promo video, and the full length 17 minute film for Anesthetize as seen during the band's live shows)

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Some artists are too good to be ignored. Porcupine Tree's architect Steven Wilson is one of them. After a long and fruitful career built on a crystalline guitar sound and atmospheric melodies, Steven influenced Opeth and helped them to record the distinctive "Damnation" album. Ever since, his name is on every metalhead's lips despite being more of a rock artist. Porcupine Tree's 2005 offering, "Deadwing", was nothing short of a masterpiece and "Fear of a Blank Planet" follows in the same footsteps.

Read more ››
published 15.07.2007 | Comments (51)

Found in 60 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 38   Visited by: 1496 users
26.03.2011 - 12:35
Rating: 10
Heka69
Marvellous album.
29.10.2011 - 23:20
Rating: 10
musicalkaratekid
Probably my favourite album by them. So meaningful in every song, and every moment here is to be relished qithout any disturbances. Marvellously constructed work by PT.
30.10.2011 - 17:40
Lit.
Account deleted
One of the best atmospheric albums I have ever listened to.
30.10.2011 - 21:24
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
This was the first PT album I ever listened to. Inspired me to check out their entire discography. Steve Wilson knows wtf he's doing...
----
rekt
01.06.2012 - 01:20
neiluria
Fear Of A Blank Planet is a masterpiece,
26.06.2012 - 02:40
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
An OK album.

Now, I need something faster and heavier.
26.10.2012 - 03:46
Opethian
Superb, by far my 2nd favorite release from PT
28.01.2013 - 20:48
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Anesthetize is probably one of the most awesome songs I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. This album is fucking great.
----
16.04.2013 - 01:02
Opethian
One of my favorites from PT
16.04.2013 - 21:19
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Opethian on 16.04.2013 at 01:02

One of my favorites from PT

I think that this is probably the best that Porcupine Tree has ever done by far. Of course, I haven't heard very much of their material before In Absentia, but for some reason I doubt that it could top this.
----
16.04.2013 - 21:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Jaeryd on 28.01.2013 at 20:48

Anesthetize is probably one of the most awesome songs I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. This album is fucking great.

Did you listen to it live when they play it on that album's tour? It's immense.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.04.2013 - 21:28
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2013 at 21:20

Did you listen to it live when they play it on that album's tour? It's immense.

I've never seen them live... I got into them too late. By the time I became a fan and started buying their albums, Steven was already into his solo thing. I have seen a video for it, though. Fucking spectacular live song. Wish I was there.
----
16.04.2013 - 21:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Jaeryd on 16.04.2013 at 21:28

I've never seen them live... I got into them too late. By the time I became a fan and started buying their albums, Steven was already into his solo thing. I have seen a video for it, though. Fucking spectacular live song. Wish I was there.

I hear you. I was so lucky to have seen them twice in my lifetime The first time they played the whole song and later only played part of it, but still great. At least they captured that on DVD and you can always see it there.
----

My Instagram
23.04.2013 - 02:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2013 at 21:31
The first time they played the whole song and later only played part of it, but still great.

I just came back from an amazing festival and I feel envy anyway. Love that song so much.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.04.2013 - 02:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Never l;iked anything by this band or even this album, which is regarded as their best by loads of people. But the album title is absolutely brilliant on so many levels especially referencing a classic rap album but also because of what else it implies.... Never like the artists Wilson but do agree wiht him on his thoughts on the music industry and such
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.04.2013 - 11:03
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.04.2013 at 02:20

Written by BloodTears on 16.04.2013 at 21:31
The first time they played the whole song and later only played part of it, but still great.

I just came back from an amazing festival and I feel envy anyway. Love that song so much.

Maybe someday you will be able to see it live, who knows. But that album tour won't come back though, sadly. It's likely that they will play new songs when they ever go on tour next. But it has became a fan favourite, so they might include it, hypothetically.
----

My Instagram
23.04.2013 - 11:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.04.2013 at 02:31

Never l;iked anything by this band or even this album, which is regarded as their best by loads of people. But the album title is absolutely brilliant on so many levels especially referencing a classic rap album but also because of what else it implies.... Never like the artists Wilson but do agree wiht him on his thoughts on the music industry and such

For me, the best is In Absentia. So, you really don't like anything by them? I do admire Wilson in many aspects and his mind and clarity about certain issues is one of them. PT's message is strong as far as I'm concerned and thought-provoking.
----

My Instagram
20.05.2013 - 23:41
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Amazing release, one of my faves from Porcupine Tree. Anesthetize is a beautiful epic.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
21.12.2013 - 14:23
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Each of PT's releases from In Absentia til this one are progressively eerie and heavy. Each album offers something different, but are all masterpieces in their own respect.
06.06.2014 - 00:23
MyNameJeff
I wish it was longer!
06.06.2014 - 15:48
raveneffect
This is probably Steven Wilson's Animals
10.06.2014 - 15:21
JayMo4
The funny thing about this album is how quickly the perception of it seems to have rebounded. I remember it getting pretty well trashed when it came out - people took the lyrics literally instead of grasping the concept, or they didn't like the way PT had left a lot of the softer stuff behind for this LP (definitely their heaviest release, which I suppose accounts for some of the high marks on a metal site like this.)

I actually think it is superior to Deadwing and probably the best of their final three releases - I was more impressed on first listen by The Incident, but in hindsight it's faded a bit where my appreciation for FoaBP seems to grow each time I go back. Anesthetize is great, as has been stated. I really like tracks 2-5 and may have bumped up my score one more digit if the first and last track were at the same level - it's four very good to great songs sandwiched between two solid but unspectacular ones. But it's still definitely a very good album overall.

All of that said, it is exceeded by a couple other PT albums such as In Absentia (one of my favorites of all time,) and can't quite match the genius of the two most recent Wilson solo albums. That is an awfully high bar to reach of course, for such a big SW fan as myself. So although it's not my favorite of his, it's a very strong album by most other measures.
10.06.2014 - 15:33
mz
Written by JayMo4 on 10.06.2014 at 15:21

All of that said, it is exceeded by a couple other PT albums such as In Absentia (one of my favorites of all time,) and can't quite match the genius of the two most recent Wilson solo albums.

There I would definitely disagree. His solo career is a waste of effort IMO. I love PT and no man much more than what he is doing under his name.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.09.2014 - 16:06
telephonebear
Account deleted
I love the reference to trains with the riff in the middle of sentimental. at first i thought it was just a little nod to fans but thinking about it i think it could actually be some very dark humour/foreshadowing. sentimental deals with not wanting to grow up, the next song is about suicide by jumping under a TRAIN. very clever and a great album
02.09.2015 - 15:22
Metren
Dreadrealm
When I first discovered this album, it was an amazing experience (helped me through some tough times too) and it still holds a special place in my heart. Of everything that Wilson has done, only The Raven comes close to how this album makes me feel - sad and inspired at the same time.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
05.04.2017 - 15:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by Metren on 02.09.2015 at 15:22

sad and inspired at the same time.

This album makes me really sad, it's hard to listen to. In fact I've shunned the album for quite a while
05.04.2017 - 17:54
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Guest on 05.04.2017 at 15:39

This album makes me really sad, it's hard to listen to. In fact I've shunned the album for quite a while

I think I know what you mean. Two years ago I was working abroad and I always feel so insecure and alienated when I have to leave my home or my home country, I was seriously messed up at the time and this album was like my goddamn soul having been written as music. One of the main reasons why I still listen to this album regularly is to recall that almost unbearable feeling of sorrow and disconnection from all things "fun". I guess I am a massochist in that way
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
05.04.2017 - 17:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 05.04.2017 at 15:39

Written by Metren on 02.09.2015 at 15:22

sad and inspired at the same time.

There was a period where I listened to this album A LOT but it was always with friends, chatting and drinking... So I have some nice memories of it although I agree the subject is kind of harsh when you listen to it alone.

Still though...

"Only apathy for the pills in me
It's aaaaaall iiiin meeeee, all in yoouuuuu"

Fucking timeless.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.04.2017 - 17:58
VIG
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.04.2017 at 17:56

There was a period where I listened to this album A LOT but it was always with friends, chatting and drinking... So I have some nice memories of it although I agree the subject is kind of harsh when you listen to it alone.

Still though...

"Only apathy for the pills in me
It's aaaaaall iiiin meeeee, all in yoouuuuu"

Fucking timeless.

I can't listen to this album any more, the theme is way too sad for me. My Ashes makes me cri evertim
05.04.2017 - 18:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 05.04.2017 at 17:58
I can't listen to this album any more, the theme is way too sad for me. My Ashes makes me cri evertim

I getcha. My lowest point is the last 5 mins of Anesthetize. The vocal delivery gets pretty bleak.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 30027 | This month: 122