Metal Storm logo
Amon Amarth - Entire New Album Streaming Online

Surtur Rising, the new upcoming album from Swedish melodeath warriors Amon Amarth, is now available for streaming in its entirety, exclusively at BloodyDisgusting (stream ends at 11:59pm EST on March 28th).

Surtur Rising will be released in Germany, Austria and Switzerland on March 25th, in the rest of Europe on March 28th, and in North America on March 29th through Metal Blade Records.

Source: bloody-disgusting.com
Band profile: Amon Amarth
Posted: 26.03.2011 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 27   Visited by: 259 users
26.03.2011 - 13:02
corrupt
With a lowercase c
At 'bloody disgusting' eh?
Seems fitting seeing as this must be their weakest album so far.
----
26.03.2011 - 13:24
rocksoccer

Written by corrupt on 26.03.2011 at 13:02

At 'bloody disgusting' eh?
Seems fitting seeing as this must be their weakest album so far.

It might be...
----
26.03.2011 - 20:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Slightly underwhelming, it's obvious they have ran out of ideas in the past 2 years..
26.03.2011 - 22:19
kaylamacgavin

I agree, it seems that they've been runnning out of ideas with the past two albums. They should really take a break and put out a good album.
26.03.2011 - 22:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by kaylamacgavin on 26.03.2011 at 22:19

I agree, it seems that they've been runnning out of ideas with the past two albums. They should really take a break and put out a good album.

I can't speak for this album as I have yet to hear it, but claiming they need to take a break is absurd. All that would lead to is a longer wait between albums that inevitably won't sound that different in the end anyway.

Amon Amarth are similar to Moonsorrow, Shape of Despair, etc. in that they play a specific style that a lot of people like, and they release albums with that same sound on a more or less regular basis.

Good or bad is a matter of opinion of course, and we differ in that regard. I like their sound and know what I'm getting with each and every release these guys put out (the reason I'm not worried this one's gonna suck) because they're consistent. Bands that are surrounded by uncertainty in terms of their will to experiment are more heartache-inducing as they can completely overhaul their style seemingly overnight. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.03.2011 - 22:54
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 22:31

I can't speak for this album as I have yet to hear it, but claiming they need to take a break is absurd. All that would lead to is a longer wait between albums that inevitably won't sound that different in the end anyway.

Amon Amarth are similar to Moonsorrow, Shape of Despair, etc. in that they play a specific style that a lot of people like, and they release albums with that same sound on a more or less regular basis.

Good or bad is a matter of opinion of course, and we differ in that regard. I like their sound and know what I'm getting with each and every release these guys put out (the reason I'm not worried this one's gonna suck) because they're consistent. Bands that are surrounded by uncertainty in terms of their will to experiment are more heartache-inducing as they can completely overhaul their style seemingly overnight. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Problem I see in Amon Amarth's case, however, is I believe it will inevitably become more and more commercial and watered down because they obviously try to reach a wider audience.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.03.2011 - 22:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 22:54

Problem I see in Amon Amrath's case, however, is I believe it will inevitably become more and more commercial and watered down because they obviously try to reach a wider audience.

Ya I'm hoping they don't pull a Kataklysm anytime soon.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 01:29
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 22:55

Written by RavenKing on 26.03.2011 at 22:54

Problem I see in Amon Amrath's case, however, is I believe it will inevitably become more and more commercial and watered down because they obviously try to reach a wider audience.

Ya I'm hoping they don't pull a Kataklysm anytime soon.

Technically they already have. [i]Twilight Of The Thunder God[i] already was as cleanly produced as those Kataklysm albums you despise. The new one pretty much follows in that lead. And it's also way less inspired. You are right in terms of the sound one can expect. But that can be a good thing if there's enough creative output for fresh new songs. But Amon Amarth seem to just rely on the sound to draw the masses and reuse the old patterns to death. Listen to any one of their albums and you know them all.
----
27.03.2011 - 01:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by corrupt on 27.03.2011 at 01:29

Technically they already have. Twilight Of The Thunder God already was as cleanly produced as those Kataklysm albums you despise. The new one pretty much follows in that lead. And it's also way less inspired. You are right in terms of the sound one can expect. But that can be a good thing if there's enough creative output for fresh new songs. But Amon Amarth seem to just rely on the sound to draw the masses and reuse the old patterns to death. Listen to any one of their albums and you know them all.

If, like you say, this album continues with an even further..."mainstreaming" of their sound, then I suppose they would be following the path of Kataklysm.

In that case, to expand the discussion, would you (anyone reading this comment) attribute stagnating due to big-name labels and cash-cow producers, or bands simply growing overly comfortable - or worse, running out of ideas?
----
27.03.2011 - 01:56
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 01:32

In that case, to expand the discussion, would you (anyone reading this comment) attribute stagnating due to big-name labels and cash-cow producers, or bands simply growing overly comfortable - or worse, running out of ideas?

I would say it is mostly due to lack of inspiration, running out of ideas.
In Amon Amarth's case, nearly all the songs sound the same. It's the same mid-tempo stuff over and over. And it's not a new phenomenon. Just listen to "Versus The World", it's like listening to the same song for the entire album duration.
----
27.03.2011 - 01:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 01:56

In Amon Amarth's case, nearly all the songs sound the same. It's the same mid-tempo stuff over and over. And it's not a new phenomenon. Just listen to "Versus The World", it's like listening to the same song for the entire album duration.

I feel that's the case with most bands. Obviously I'm not involved in the behind-the-scenes stuff so I don't know what Producer A is telling Band B, but those are both justifiable causes in my opinion.

And I'm 100% on board with all AA songs sounding more or less the same since...VtW pretty much. I just happen to really enjoy that same sound. Like I've said before, they're a guilty pleasure.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:04
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 01:59

Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 01:56

I feel that's the case with most bands. Obviously I'm not involved in the behind-the-scenes stuff so I don't know what Producer A is telling Band B, but those are both justifiable causes in my opinion.

And I'm 100% on board with all AA songs sounding more or less the same since...VtW pretty much. I just happen to really enjoy that same sound. Like I've said before, they're a guilty pleasure.

What they're doing is not bad. But it's hardly original and kinda generic.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:08
corrupt
With a lowercase c

That is a question I've been asking myself for years. It seems most artists actually think they become better musicians while writing songs with an easily aproachable structure. A prominent example from my home coutry is Tobias Sammet. Should an interview touch the huge gap in song structure and production between Edguy's Mandrake and their later records or between the first two Avantasia CDs and those that should follow, he would answer that he had become a way better musician and is now able to write really (what he calls) powerful songs. The same thing can be observed with bands like Tristania, Theatre Of Tragedy or Mercenary. What musicians call good music and what fans appreciate doesn't seem to align very well in many cases.
Clean production however is understandable. I as a fan like a certain sound to support the music. Depending on the style and my own association with it, that sound I expect differs but there's usually something I can point at and say "that's it!". As a musician however, I have a rough image of a song in mind when I start recording, not the sound it should have on CD. The more money and the better equipment a band has then, the better the sound will turn out. That at least might be a simplified explanation of things.

Oh, and if you do get around to listening to this album, make sure you catch the keyboard violins on Doom Over Dead Man. Yes, that right. Synthetic violins.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:19
RavenKing

Written by corrupt on 27.03.2011 at 03:08

It seems most artists actually think they become better musicians while writing songs with an easily aproachable structure. A prominent example from my home coutry is Tobias Sammet. Should an interview touch the huge gap in song structure and production between Edguy's Mandrake and their later records or between the first two Avantasia CDs and those that should follow, he would answer that he had become a way better musician and is now able to write really (what he calls) powerful songs.

This is complete bullshit. All Sammet does is trying to defend the shitty pop-rock material he releases nowadays.
He's one of the greatest posers on the scene and an arrogant asshole.
I prefer not to talk any further about this cock rock artist.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

It seems most artists actually think they become better musicians while writing songs with an easily aproachable structure.

Oh, and if you do get around to listening to this album, make sure you catch the keyboard violins on Doom Over Dead Man. Yes, that right. Synthetic violins.

That does seem to be the case. I mean, no musician is going to publicly state "this is our/my worst effort yet", but it seems many of them believe the new garbage they put out is actually better than their earlier masterpiece(s).

And I'll definitely get around to it - just waiting for its official release on the 29th so I can nab it. Can't wait for the synthetic violins - I guess Apocalyptica members were too busy/pricey?
----
27.03.2011 - 03:36
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 03:25

it seems many of them believe the new garbage they put out is actually better than their earlier masterpieces.

That's the way I would put it too. My opinion is when musicians start to lower their classics to praise their new material, it means the new stuff really sucks.
It also explains why so many bands never recover after taking the downward spiral, if they sincerely believe the new garbage is better than their masterpieces.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:41
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 03:36

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 03:25

it seems many of them believe the new garbage they put out is actually better than their earlier masterpieces.

That's the way I would put it too. My opinion is when musicians start to lower their classics to praise their new material, it means the new stuff really sucks.
It also explains why so many bands never recover after taking the downward spiral, if they sincerely believe the new garbage is better than their masterpieces.

Ya, for once I'd like a band to just stand up and say... "You know what? We know our fans love and worship the shit we released 10 (or 20, or whatever) years ago, and this likely won't live up to that era. But we're happy with this album, we think it will..." blah blah blah market the fuck out of it now for all I care, but don't shit on what everyone agrees is your defining moment.

Or, for even more honesty, have a guy straight-up tell you he isn't the happiest with the release, but he hopes people will like it - or doesn't, if that's the goal.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:48
RavenKing

@Troy Gallant: we must also be aware that sometimes the artists simply doesn't want to admit the monetary reasons behind a specific release or change of musical direction.
Sometimes, I'm sure they know it's by far not their best release but they will market it as if it were their best.
----
27.03.2011 - 03:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 03:48

@Troy Gallant: we must also be aware that sometimes the artists simply doesn't want to admit the monetary reasons behind a specific release or change of musical direction.
Sometimes, I'm sure they know it's by far not their best release but they will market it as if it were their best.

Oh undoubtedly. I'd still like to hear more honest statements though.
----
27.03.2011 - 04:00
RavenKing

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 03:54

Oh undoubtedly. I'd still like to hear more honest statements though.

Since when are people being honest when there is money involved?
----
27.03.2011 - 05:50
Yojimbo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.03.2011 at 22:31

I agree completely. Why is progression always expected? If, as a band, you do something well, keep doing it. I've listened to the album once and wasn't blown away. I'll have to give a couple more times before I make any real judgment. But, as one of my favorite bands, I just like the sound. I've been in a more "brutal" mood since I started listening to Benighted but I'm sure I'll get back into AA before they come to my town.
27.03.2011 - 11:54
corrupt
With a lowercase c
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 03:19

It seems most artists actually think they become better musicians while writing songs with an easily aproachable structure. A prominent example from my home coutry is Tobias Sammet. Should an interview touch the huge gap in song structure and production between Edguy's Mandrake and their later records or between the first two Avantasia CDs and those that should follow, he would answer that he had become a way better musician and is now able to write really (what he calls) powerful songs.

This is complete bullshit. All Sammet does is trying to defend the shitty pop-rock material he releases nowadays.
He's one of the greatest posers on the scene and an arrogant asshole.
I prefer not to talk any further about this cock rock artist.

But that's the point. He hasn't always been like that. When I was a teenager, Edguy was my favorite band. I found them around the release of Vain Glory Opera. Back then, his jokes on stage were a really funny thing. They were a small, likeable band with a solid number of faithful fans ans and three pretty straightforward records. Then somehow, after the second Avantasia, things started to turn crazy. He was at the peak of his musical career back then, still liked by old fans and widely respected for pulling off a project like Avantasia. Nobody would throw that away on purpose. But the innocence is lost. After you've seen that something you created can have such a massive impact, you start getting caught in a spiral. People will expect the same quality in the future and you know it. Take Nevermore for example. After This Godless Endeavor people were simply assuming they'd create another masterpiece like that. Especially seeing the time it took them. And when The Obsidian Conspiracy was released, the general opinion was that it was a good album but a huge disappointment in comparison to it predecessor. Had they released both in the opposite order, everything would have been ok there.
So you, as a musician, try to create even better stuff, without knowing what exactly it is that your fans love about it. And you see that it sells. How do you know that people are just buying your stuff because of the name on it? Or that the people who buy it today aren't the ones buying it years ago. There's no feedback, no universal quality indicator, just your own taste (that does change, for fans and musicians alike) and your success. The only thing I blame Sammet for is using the Avantasia brand to market something that couldn't be further away from the original. Destroying that legacy is just unexcusable.
----
27.03.2011 - 12:44
kuchy

Amon Amarth - thier quality and inovation these days could be compared to their least cover from SOAD ).
It can not be compared e.g. to Versus The World. I remember buying it and after 15-20 listenings i still could find amazing things there.
With this album I can barely remember its name....I can not:))
----
hellish maniac
27.03.2011 - 13:05
Kwis

Twilight of the Thunder God was a BEAST. Hope this is in the same class.
27.03.2011 - 17:04
s_t_s

I have only been listening to a couple of songs so far, so it's a bit early to make a solid opinion but I really don't get some comments here reading about "Twilight of the Thunder God" being a uninspired album or Amon Amarth always doing the same... Why some people complain about bands always keeping the same style and others complain when a band tries to evolve ??

I don't care about such impressions : I like what I listen to or not, that's it. I like the latest Dimmu Borgir but hope the next album gets back to what they did before. I also like the latest Cradle of Filth but won't compare it to Midian for instance. You cannot expect bands to play the same as they did 10 or 15 years earlier. Hey guys haven't you changed over the last decade ?

What I simply don't like is when bands like In Flames keep evolving from bad to worse... Come Clarity isn't bad but lacks power... the next one, a sense of purpose is just unhearable . Well I hope someone understands what i mean
27.03.2011 - 22:29
Iceland_Norway

I think they have to go to take a pause to gain new ideas and also organise the albums differents from the past one.
----
Føroyar mítt land

Tú alfagra land mítt

Føroyar mín Móðir
27.03.2011 - 23:07
Opethian

Written by Iceland_Norway on 27.03.2011 at 22:29

I think they have to go to take a pause to gain new ideas and also organise the albums differents from the past one.

That was excatly what i was saying when they released TOTTG back in 2008. I sometimes dont get this site, everyone and their mom is complaining about the new album, yet its in the sites top 10 for 2011 As always everyone on here is titls=ed to his or her own opinion, i guess i will find out this coming tuesday

Hits total: 4558 | This month: 5