Metal Storm logo
The Wolves Of Avalon - Debut Album In April

Carrion Crows Over Camlan, the upcoming debut album of British pagan metal band The Wolves Of Avalon, will be released in April through Godreah Records.

The Wolves Of Avalon is the new project of The Meads Of Asphodel mainman Metatron. Not wanting to take the Meads into the pagan metal realms, the birth of The Wolves of Avalon, was always going to happen. The Wolves of Avalon is an embodiment of ancient British spirit and pride and not to be confused with any modern interpretation of things long since buried by time and dust. By drafting in JM to create the music and traditional instrumentalist from other bands, Metatron's vision has finally come to life.

The Wolves of Avalon features guest appearances by Rob Darken (Graveland), Verst (Instinct), Roibéard Ó Bogail (Mael Mórdha), Magnus O. Wohlfart (Yggdrasil), Petra Jadrná (Cruadalach), Arvid Vermote (Krigavar), and Rob Wakefield (Aurora-Project).

The music can be termed, Celtic Pagan Metal that simmers in a doleful, almost tragic atmosphere with sporadic up tempo sections to shed light on the Dark Age tale that writhes within. The concept is of the British Celtic Arthurian age much maligned by exaggerated myths and erroneous histories of Britain. The album reflects a period around 500 AD, that existed after the Romans were recalled to defend their homeland from the Barbarian migrations, the same land hungry hordes that were to engulf the warriors and tribes of Britain. This was the era of the Germanic and British wars, and the Arthurian defence of our sacred soil that was to end in defeat at Camlan. The main essence of the lyrical concept is the great victory over the Germanic invaders, at The Battle of Baddon Hill around 500 AD, [also known as Mons Badonicus] Baddon Hill was the great Victory that this album surmounts. This was when the British Celts defeated the Germanic Saxons in the last great Celtic age of heroes. It is ironic to think the Saxons and their fellow invaders, the Angles and Jutes would soon after amalgamate into what would be termed as the England. [Angle land]. This album celebrates the old British pride, the old Gods and the great tribes prior to the alien Germanic incursions. This is an album dedicated to our Pagan ancestors.

Carrion Crows Over Camlan tracklist:

01. Intro -This Mighty Isle
02. The Wolves of Avalon
03. Enchanted Spirits of Warriors Slain
04. Lost Gods we call on You
05. British Tribes Unite
06. The War Song of Beli Mawr
07. The Siege of Badon Hill
08. The Last Druid
09. Carrion Crows over Camlan
10. Britain is Fallen
11. Ravens over Dumonia
12. Song of the Graves

Source: godreah.com
Band profile: The Meads Of Asphodel
Posted: 27.03.2011 by abraxus

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 78 users
27.03.2011 - 13:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well this is news to me. Anything coming from Metatron is likely to be awesome.
27.03.2011 - 14:15
malaikat
I tottaly read "This Mighty Ale" instead of "This Mighty Isle"
27.03.2011 - 15:39
RavenKing
I find the concept, song titles, cover etc interesting.
I will check it but I wonder how it will sound. Reason is I don't like Meads Of Asphodel, as it is simply too experimental and weird for my tastes (I think I'm simply too old school for this kind of stuff).
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
27.03.2011 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 15:39

I will check it but I wonder how it will sound. Reason is I don't like Meads Of Asphodel, as it is simply too experimental and weird for my tastes (I think I'm simply too old school for this kind of stuff).

Sort of similar thoughts for me. It's not like I don't like them... But it's well... too experimental and it seems like there's not a structure that can justify such experimentation... it feels like it's weird just for the sake of being weird.

The strange part is that deep inside I want to like this so I try them from time to time. So I'm also interested for this stuff maybe it won't be as experimental.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2011 - 16:17
RavenKing
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.03.2011 at 15:58

Sort of similar thoughts for me. It's not like I don't like them... But it's well... too experimental and it seems like there's not a structure that can justify such experimentation... it feels like it's weird just for the sake of being weird.

I find it fucked up. So weird and inconsistent it is not possible for me to take it seriously, so I end up seeing it more or less as a joke.
----
27.03.2011 - 16:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.03.2011 at 15:58

The strange part is that deep inside I want to like this so I try them from time to time. So I'm also interested for this stuff maybe it won't be as experimental.

Did you ever try Meads' last album? I found it to be very listenable, melodic and flowing, something which you could argue their previous stuff lacked. Maybe I'm just so used to them and their sound at this point that it seemed an easy listen.
27.03.2011 - 16:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 16:24

Did you ever try Meads' last album? I found it to be very listenable, melodic and flowing, something which you could argue their previous stuff lacked. Maybe I'm just so used to them and their sound at this point that it seemed an easy listen.

Nowdays I'm very lazy with downloading... Right now I'm just checking some songs with youtube. But I cans ee myself taking some risks and just buy the latest one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.03.2011 - 16:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 27.03.2011 at 16:27

Written by Guest on 27.03.2011 at 16:24

Nowdays I'm very lazy with downloading... Right now I'm just checking some songs with youtube. But I cans ee myself taking some risks and just buy the latest one.

Well I'd say check out the tracks "My Psychotic Sand Deity" and "Addicted to God" - probably my fave two of that album, though I rather love the whole thing ;kdjhflajdgfkajhgd
27.03.2011 - 16:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
I'd be more interested in this if it weren't pagan black metal. I always find the 80-20 ratio of "folk" music to black metal annoying.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.03.2011 - 16:59
RavenKing
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.03.2011 at 16:46

I'd be more interested in this if it weren't pagan black metal. I always find the 80-20 ratio of "folk" music to black metal annoying.

To be honest, even if I'm interested to check the album, I doubt I will like it, precisely for this reason. I don't like pagan metal at all (all the barely-metal commercial stuff heavily Powermetal-influenced). It's way too atmospheric in a boring way, often dragging endlessly, and not intense enough for my tastes or it sounds too much like Powermetal.

The kind of 'pagan' Black Metal I enjoy is stuff like Angantyr, Nocternity, Pagan Hellfire, Spirit Of The Forest, Taake, etc.
But they're more like pure BM bands incorporating folk influences, instruments and using pagan lyrics than what people usually refer to as 'pagan metal'.
----
27.03.2011 - 17:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by RavenKing on 27.03.2011 at 16:59

The kind of 'pagan' Black Metal I enjoy is stuff like Angantyr, Nocternity, Pagan Hellfire, Spirit Of The Forest, Taake, etc.
But they're more like pure BM bands incorporating folk influences, instruments and using pagan lyrics than what people usually refer to as 'pagan metal'.

On this we totally see eye-to-eye.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.08.2012 - 01:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I dont really like the album in general, but the song entitled "The War Song Of Beli Mawr" is just fucking epic
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 4312 | This month: 4