Metal Storm logo
German Black Metal

Original post

Posted by Bigpaul, 27.03.2011 - 23:23
Over the past 12 months I have been listening to quite a few German Black bands, many of whom I hadn't heard of before and I must say that I have been quite impressed both with the quality and diversity of sound in the German Black scene. Bands such as Coldworld, Agrypnie, The Ruins Of Beverast, Lantlôs, Todtgelichter, Imperium Dekadenz all have quality releases to their name.
I personally think that if you like Black metal, then you should be able to find a band that appeals to you. Whether you prefer the melodic leanings of Dark Fortress or the avantgarde(and brilliant) Todtgelichter or if you prefer your Black to be a bit proggy then Nocte Obducta may be worth a listen.

In this topic you can discuss the known, big bands or bring new, interesting acts to light
05.12.2011 - 19:46
Savopipo

Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.12.2011 at 19:43

Written by Savopipo on 05.12.2011 at 12:24
I might be getting them confused with another band but I seem to remember even keyboards showing up occasionally on BL?

That might be what I'm thinking of as the "orchestral" feel. It does sound rather synth-y even with the raw production. It's a really nice mix - surprising from a band regarded as raw black metal.

In that we're totally agreed!
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
06.12.2011 - 12:08
Genghis Kal
Account deleted
There's a difference between raw production and weak production. Necrofrost and Sterbend just sounds thin and weak. I always find myself going back to the classic BM bands because most stuff is just a poor imitation. For example if you listen to Darkthrone the guitar is all treble but it really cuts through, and there's actually a lot of bass, a real thump to the kick drum. They actually wrote good songs too.

There's nothing wrong with being generic but it should at least have a strong production and some decent riffs. Most raw BM bands just come across as being crap for the sake of it. Anyway, to each there own, I'm just saying I think there's a lot of music out there, especially BM, that doesn't have much effort put into it.

Todtgelichter sounds quite interesting though. I like "Phobos and Deimos".
06.12.2011 - 19:49
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I wouldn't say Necrofrost or Sterbend sound thin and weak. I think their production is perfect for their sound.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
09.12.2011 - 01:24
Albert-Satan

Germany has many good Metal bands, and I always find interesting German Black Metal songs via Youtube and Myspace.
----
http://www.facebook.com/WarAgainstChrist WAC (Atlanta, GA)
09.12.2011 - 05:31
Sacrificial

German black/thrash is the thing! Nocturnal, Desaster, Cruel Force etc.
09.12.2011 - 06:08
Promonex
Cathemeral
Written by Sacrificial on 09.12.2011 at 05:31

German black/thrash is the thing! Nocturnal, Desaster, Cruel Force etc.

This post lacks a huge dose of Hellish Crossfire.

----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
12.12.2011 - 06:10
Sacrificial

Not to forget Hellish Crossfire
13.12.2011 - 08:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I've gotta get out of Germany soon. :/

I hear Finland's nice this time of year.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.12.2011 - 10:38
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.12.2011 at 08:26

I've gotta get out of Germany soon. :/

I hear Finland's nice this time of year.

STAY IN GERMANY!

----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
13.12.2011 - 20:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 13.12.2011 at 10:38
STAY IN GERMANY!

Awesome band. I'm still confused about their most recent release... it's been on a rollercoaster ride in my 2011 chart. :/ It's been as high as the top 20 and as low as 50. And pretty much everywhere in between.
----
14.12.2011 - 07:18
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.12.2011 at 20:15

Written by The Turbanator on 13.12.2011 at 10:38
STAY IN GERMANY!

Awesome band. I'm still confused about their most recent release... it's been on a rollercoaster ride in my 2011 chart. :/ It's been as high as the top 20 and as low as 50. And pretty much everywhere in between.

Yeah it's a hit or miss album. I like it. It has this folk-ish element in some tracks and the music is dark as well.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
14.12.2011 - 07:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 14.12.2011 at 07:18
It has this folk-ish element in some tracks and the music is dark as well.

Which is precisely what I love about the latest Forteresse. For some reason I haven't been able to just make my mind up about Aaskereia though...
----
14.12.2011 - 08:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think I'm becoming officially addicted to German black metal. :/

I've gotta hear the full-length (released this year). The split with Austere was amazing, although not nearly as great as the Austere/Lyrinx split.
----
14.12.2011 - 08:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 08:10

I've gotta hear the full-length (released this year).

Isolation - Closing A Circle is not black any more http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=19045&lang=en
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.12.2011 - 08:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.12.2011 at 08:34
Isolation - Closing A Circle is not black any more http://www.lordsofmetal.nl/showreview.php?id=19045&lang=en

Ya the band (or YouTube uploader) mentioned the band ventured into more post-rock-ish territory after pretty much abandoning their black metal roots.

I'd still be interested in listening to it, just based on the fact that their early stuff seems to be quite mesmerizing. Your review pretty much summed up exactly what I thought I'd think of the album.
----
14.12.2011 - 10:52
The Turbanator

Few of my favorites :

I've only heard that Sieghetnar song to be honest (it's a one track demo I think), it's excellent. I never hear his other work yet.
----
14.12.2011 - 11:00
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by The Turbanator on 14.12.2011 at 10:52
Few of my favorites

I never got into Helrunar. Not sure why. :/

One of those things I can't explain (I seem to have that problem more often than not these days).
----
14.12.2011 - 11:18
The Turbanator

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.12.2011 at 11:00

Few of my favorites

One of those things I can't explain (I seem to have that problem more often than not these days).

Probably because their songs are repetitive? I never liked their new album Sol. That split with Nacthmar and the "Gratr" demo is excellent. "Baldr Ok Iss" is good as well but "Frostnacht" and "Sol" are just mehhhh.
----
14.12.2011 - 13:49
Savopipo

Written by The Turbanator on 14.12.2011 at 11:18

Few of my favorites

Probably because their songs are repetitive? I never liked their new album Sol. That split with Nacthmar and the "Gratr" demo is excellent. "Baldr Ok Iss" is good as well but "Frostnacht" and "Sol" are just mehhhh.

I have a vague recollection of listening to "Baldr ok Iss" but I must have been unimressed because I don't remember what it sounded like, a little "folkish"?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
14.12.2011 - 14:00
The Turbanator

Written by Savopipo on 14.12.2011 at 13:49

Written by The Turbanator on 14.12.2011 at 11:18

Few of my favorites

I have a vague recollection of listening to "Baldr ok Iss" but I must have been unimressed because I don't remember what it sounded like, a little "folkish"?

Yeah they had parts with acoustic guitar. It's a good album, just the kind you'll listen to when it pops up in your shuffled list. Not the one you look forward to hear when you're travelling back home from class or work.
----
15.12.2011 - 04:19
Promonex
Cathemeral
Grátr is where it's at. The only Helrunar album I could get into. I never understood the hype around this band, but Grátr is truly excellent.

And Der Weg Einer Freiheit are quite nice:

----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
07.09.2012 - 04:11
Oaken
Hipster
The Ruins Of Beverast are slowly becoming my favorite BM band slowly. It's been a while since he's done anything, right? Maybe it's because he'll be playing live at roadburn this year.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
07.09.2012 - 12:11
The Turbanator

Written by Oaken on 07.09.2012 at 04:11

The Ruins Of Beverast are slowly becoming my favorite BM band slowly. It's been a while since he's done anything, right? Maybe it's because he'll be playing live at roadburn this year.

Yup an excellent band. His last 2 albums are damn good.
----
07.09.2012 - 15:01
Oaken
Hipster
Written by The Turbanator on 07.09.2012 at 12:11

Written by Oaken on 07.09.2012 at 04:11

Yup an excellent band. His last 2 albums are damn good.

That guy is a pure genius, and not even slightly pretentious. IMO he's one of those black metal musicians that can not write a bad album even if they wanted to, like Vindvsal and Hasjarl. He belongs with these.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
28.12.2012 - 12:08
Störgeräus

There are three more German Black Metal bands you should not miss. They are underground, but good.

Vargsheim - Führ mich zum Grund
Some members of Imperium Dekadenz play in this band.

Hyems - Ungeist

Vae Terium - In den Wäldern

I already posted two of them under the topic 'Black Metal'.
29.12.2012 - 21:20
Sulac

Written by Promonex on 20.10.2011 at 18:20

Last week was the last concert of the remaining Lifelover members at the German Autumn Depression festival. And on all the forums in the internet everyone was like: "That Lifelover tribute thing was disappointing, but Fäulnis were amazing!" So I checked them out and thought I'd share it with you. Not dissimilar to Lifelover, Todtgelichter or Agrypnie. So far I like

This is beyond amazing. I just can't... Find it... Anywhere. I would buy this if it was less than 20$, but I can't even find it for more than that.
29.12.2012 - 21:33
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Anyone knows a German Black metal with frontwoman who is bass player too?!
30.12.2012 - 01:11
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Guest on 29.12.2012 at 21:33

Hmmm you have Seeds of Iblis but not German... I can only think of Darkened Nocturn Slaghtercult but the chick does vocals/guitars.

On a side note, Fäulnis sounds great. Me check that naw.
30.12.2012 - 06:41
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 30.12.2012 at 01:11

Written by Guest on 29.12.2012 at 21:33

Hmmm you have Seeds of Iblis but not German... I can only think of Darkened Nocturn Slaghtercult but the chick does vocals/guitars.

On a side note, Fäulnis sounds great. Me check that naw.

well I DON'T like Seeds of Iblis after both I listened to them and found out they seem fake and using other's photos as theirs, thanks for Nocturn Slaghtercult I think that's the band I was looking for I wasn't sure about the instrument she plays actually.
12.04.2013 - 02:58
InnerSelf
proofread free
I might as well post this here.
New TRoB song from the upcoming album Blood Vaults (The Blazing Gospel Of Heinrich Kramer).

----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.