02. The Womb
03. Madre Pt.1
04. Our Best Years
05. The Chosen Ones
06. Madre Pt.2
07. Collapse
08. Zero
09. Divinity

A Cold Dead Body is a post-metal/post-sludge band with an Indie Rock vocalist. Well, not entirely, he's got the deep-throated thing down well, but his clean vocals are pretty cool and really stood out for me.

The album itself has a theme that should be clear to anyone even glancing at the track listing? from sperm to person to nothing. It's the life cycle, all compressed into nine tracks and just under 40 minutes.

Musically, it is an enjoyable listen. Harvest Years has varying degrees of intensity, mellow bits with clean tones and clean vocals one moment become raging slabs of shouts and distorted, crushing riffs a few ticks of the second hand later. Synth string sections add some serious moments of melancholy to help further accentuate the shifts in moods with the shifts in musical style.

All in all it works really well. The various shifts in vocal and musical approaches, coupled with the sways of emotional impact keep the whole thing interesting.

Honestly, this was a pretty cool release. I've listened to this thing for a couple weeks now trying to find a way to best describe it (near epic fail on my part) and though the words have been hard in coming, the album has still held up and kept my interest over nearly two dozen listens.

Nice work by the Italian quartet. Benissimo.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 29.03.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 158 users
29.03.2011 - 18:32
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Hhahhaah Poor BitterCOld, I can really see why you started a thread to get some advices so you stop being stressed about the reviews.
But still, nice review.... Got me quite interested on the band. Nice artwork btw.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.03.2011 - 18:36
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.03.2011 at 18:32

Hhahhaah Poor BitterCOld, I can really see why you started a thread to get some advices so you stop being stressed about the reviews.
But still, nice review.... Got me quite interested on the band. Nice artwork btw.

just not used to having more than 2-3 "pro" reviews (as opposed to just doing whatever i want) lined up at a time. so 17 is a bit daunting. It's all good music.

if you dig post-rock/post-whatever stuff as well as metal, this is a pretty cool release as it bounces between the two.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.03.2011 - 18:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 29.03.2011 at 18:36

just not used to having more than 2-3 "pro" reviews (as opposed to just doing whatever i want) lined up at a time. so 17 is a bit daunting. It's all good music.
if you dig post-rock/post-whatever stuff as well as metal, this is a pretty cool release as it bounces between the two.

Yeah I will check them out. You should try to relax more though. This is not a job.
----
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.03.2011 - 19:00
BloodTears
ANA-thema
elite
I'm listening to a lot of post-everything these days. This one seems right up my alley. Will check it.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
30.03.2011 - 17:58
Omnicosm
Hey man, excellent review. Don't let these assholes give you a hard time. I'm a big fan of many post-rock/metal groups (Maserati, Russian Circles, Pelican, ITTCT, etc.,) so this sounds very appealing. I'm definitely checking them out.
----
Cheers.
30.03.2011 - 18:06
It is pretty good indeed...
31.03.2011 - 09:45
InnerSelf
proofread free
I heard an older release by them "which name I can't remember" there were some violins in that release and I remember being really impressed . will surely check this one out
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.

Hits total: 6902 | This month: 8